Acid Attack On Foreigners At Asoke Bts Station

george

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is nothing but hearsay.

Until I read this from an official source, then I`m filing this under, C, for crap.

They were treated at a famous hospital for ACID burns. More than hearsay.

Thats what she said laugh.gif

Actually, I believe something happened but I doubt they were attacked or that there has been a rash of incidents like this that she claims. I also doubt he claims she watched his eyes, which appear fine now, melt.

This is nothing but hearsay.

Until I read this from an official source, then I`m filing this under, C, for crap.

They were treated at a famous hospital for ACID burns. More than hearsay.

Thats what she said laugh.gif

Actually, I believe something happened but I doubt they were attacked or that there has been a rash of incidents like this that she claims. I also doubt he claims she watched his eyes, which appear fine now, melt.

The paper just quotes her Twitter post!

So send a reporter to Bumrungrad and get a statement. Yes, it should be confirmed more professionally before being the lead story on CNN. OK?

Yeah...obviously.

The couple was so "horrifically" injured, in fact, that they were released immediately and later enjoyed an evening meal out in Soi Nana.

What's going on here? Are people feeling she is more likely to be doing a hoax because she's an artiste and a bit of a media whore?

Not necessarily a hoax, but she strikes me as a person who might be guilty of "embellishment".

Melting eyes one minute, then out for dinner an hour later?

Do we have confirmation of that?

The best I can do is that the Bangkok Post refers to a statement from Bumrungrad saying they have seen other similar cases.

Interesting (but not surprising) the paper only chose to quote her twitter posts and not seek to interview her, the doctor at the hospital or the police.

the consensus here seems to be:

1. she and her friend made up the whole thing (I mean, people tweet about acid adventures all the time, right?)

2. she and her friend got caught in a little bit or rain, and they over reacted terribly

3. acid wasn't concentrated enough to disfigure her and her friend

4. something this terrible couldn't possibly happen in Bangkok

Wow, I have been a member here a very short time and already I see a pattern of people bashing the Thai populace. I arrived in Thailand in May. I had a couple of pretty bad things happen to me and the Thai people that I have met were nothing but gracious and kind. In one instance I had a severe infection in my Tonsils and had lost my check card, The women at the guest house I was staying at not only took me to the hospital (including a tuk-tuk ride) but they paid for the visit and all medications. Then one of the women actually brought me soups to my room and bathed my face with a cool cloth. They asked for NOTHING in return......NOTHING... In the same time period another Thai person, a restauranteur kept me fed as he knew I had lost my card, he only asked that when I got my new card, that I would pay him back the cost of the food. ....in the same time frame another woman Nui (sp?) gave....gave...me free coffee and loaned me money.... This all without even knowing my name! Nobody even asked me my name.

Someone said that the Thai people hate foreigners....To you sir, I say, You are wrong, and you are wrong to malign the Thai people with your hate. Maybe you are involved with the wrong element. Because in my experience the Thai people are friendly and gracious. Maybe it's a different scene if you associate with nothing but bar girls and the clientele surrounding that environment. ....But that is merely an assumption on my part.

I agree with you here - I have had both great and terrible experiences with Thai people over my 2 years here; just as I have had great and bad experiences with westerners here AND back home in England. There was one evening when both great and bad happened within an hour of each other; I was walking along Sukhumvit with my dog when one of the Thai stall owners started hitting my dog across the head with a thick bamboo stick claiming that he had urinated on the ground near his stall.

I knew he had done no such thing and jumped in to protect my dog - at which point the Thai guy turned the bamboo stick on me - split my head open and opened up gashes on my arms and one of my shins. Knowing I could do nothing in return as I was surrounded by his Thai friends I wandered off.

Then another Thai guy saw me and took me to the nearby hospital and sorted everything - even paid for the medication I was given without telling me - and would accept nothing from me in return.

People are people - good and bad everywhere.

This country frustrates the HELL out of me sometimes - but the thought of moving back to the UK makes me realise I live here because for me the good out weighs the bad...........

Very well said. You're reading my mind!

Blame the victim. It looks bad for Thailand, so blame the victim. I agree - check out the story.

Exactly! Who asked her to take the Skytrain anyway!? Couldn't they just take the taxi?

Even if there was some sort of acid attack, why would it make Thailand look bad? Do you suggest Thailand would have conspired to do this or that this type of thing hasn't and/or isn't possible somewhere else? Even if we are to believe the women's story in whole then we need to believe, as she stated, the attack could have come from a Farang or Thai as both were present. But what if a Thai did such an act, why would it make Thailand look bad? Do you feel the need to condemn a whole race when one of its members does something terrible?

Even if there was some sort of acid attack, why would it make Thailand look bad? .. But what if a Thai did such an act, why would it make Thailand look bad? Do you feel the need to condemn a whole race when one of its members does something terrible?

when a foreigner, a tourist, gets acid thrown on her face in Bangkok, it does not reflect well on a country, I would think. So yes, in my opinion it would make Thailand look bad.

When did I condemn a whole race? Where did I suggest the culprit is of Thai national? But since you allowed for the possibility he/she may have been Thai (and we dont know if he/she was) , how does it NOT make Thailand look bad!?

Your argument may be that this kind of horrific violence could take place anywhere in the world. Sure! But it happened in Bangkok.

Even if there was some sort of acid attack, why would it make Thailand look bad? Do you suggest Thailand would have conspired to do this or that this type of thing hasn't and/or isn't possible somewhere else? Even if we are to believe the women's story in whole then we need to believe, as she stated, the attack could have come from a Farang or Thai as both were present. But what if a Thai did such an act, why would it make Thailand look bad? Do you feel the need to condemn a whole race when one of its members does something terrible?

If it made the world press that it was common for people to be attacked by strangers throwing ACID on their face in Bangkok, it is an objective fact that it would make Thailand look bad. It would make some tourists cancel their trips. Similar to why tourists are canceling trips to major Mexican cities due to drug cartel violence.

I said Thailand. As in the country. Never mentioned a race or anything like that.

No, sillie billie, I do NOT feel the need to condemn a whole race when one of its members does something terrible. Do you feel the need to make over the top inflammatory accusations?

Edited by Jingthing

Even if there was some sort of acid attack, why would it make Thailand look bad? .. But what if a Thai did such an act, why would it make Thailand look bad? Do you feel the need to condemn a whole race when one of its members does something terrible?

when a foreigner, a tourist, gets acid thrown on her face in Bangkok, it does not reflect well on a country, I would think. So yes, in my opinion it would make Thailand look bad.

When did I condemn a whole race? Where did I suggest the culprit is of Thai national? But since you allowed for the possibility he/she may have been Thai (and we dont know if he/she was) , how does it NOT make Thailand look bad!?

Your argument may be that this kind of horrific violence could take place anywhere in the world. Sure! But it happened in Bangkok.

We don't even know there IS a "culprit". We know supposedly that some guy's eyes melted then he went out for a nice dinner.

If it made the world press that it was common for people to be attacked by strangers throwing ACID on their face in Bangkok, it is an objective fact that it would make Thailand look bad.

and if pigs could fly ....

Edited by Nisa

But you have no issue with condemning an entire nation of 60 million for an unverified attack, that probably wasn't an attack, without even knowing if the imagined culprit was from that nation.

What's going on here? Are people feeling she is more likely to be doing a hoax because she's an artiste and a bit of a media whore?

I don`t know.

Only saying that I do not take this at face value.

That sounds reasonable. If there was a decent press here, we could hope for some followup on this story. Especially the part about the potential of serial acid throwing.

The foreigners here are about 1,000% times more racist than the Thais, in my opinion. They demand respect without being respectable.

Except for that whole white skin is beautiful and dark skin is ugly thing. Oh, and the songs they made in parts of Issan making fun of "American negro - neggei" and stories of them eating babies.

Other than that, I agree with you 100%.

I literally had a battery blow up in my face once and my scalp didn't get burned, nor did i lose any part of my eye. Although i thoroughly flushed them and vision was nothing more than a haze for 2 weeks. Im calling BS on this tweet, no way it could have been worse than what i went through.

Cant get much worse than battery acid.

Different types of acid out there. And yes, it can get a lot worse than battery acid.

Now the Bangkok newspapers are resorting to unsubstantiated Twitter posts for their news???????????????????????

That's a step up really, considering some of the other crap they post. And lets be honest, any media outlet who writes anything about Cambodian black magic, as if it is real, needs to be closed down.

But you have no issue with condemning an entire nation of 60 million for an unverified attack, that probably wasn't an attack, without even knowing if the imagined culprit was from that nation.

Nisa,

How did I condemn an entire nation of 60 million?

I live here, I LOVE Bangkok! I want to be proud of Thailand. Reading a news report about acid being thrown on the face of visitor to my country makes me sad. And it makes my country look bad!

on topic: 'They were treated at Bumrungrad hospital. The hospital said this is the third case they have seen lately'