Acid Attack On Foreigners At Asoke Bts Station

george

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back there were stories of acid being thrown in place of water during Songkran.

Oh those Thais, anything for a laugh!

you have a link to these "stories" ?

I can confirm reading those 'stories'

Did you actually read news accounts of these "stories" or was it more inline with a forum poster making statements like you?

The reason I ask is I can't seem to find any news accounts of acid attacks during Songkran and would love a link to learn more about this.

There were some news accounts of this, I believe 2 or 3 years ago.

Can't find anything online to any news reports but did find a couple mentions of similar statements on forum type sites with no details ... only saying it occurs.

I just hope it is not one of those urban legends we are helping to spread.

Maybe somebody outside Thailand can do an internet search with better results.

Edited by Nisa

^ Google;

one links to this forum, a thread Briton Held Over Acid Attack but does not offer any conclusive proof - Songkran 2006

Original story from The Nation here

Briton held over acid attack

PATTAYA: -- A Norwegian tourist and a Thai boy were yesterday injured by mild acid shot at them from a water gun by a foreign man near the Hard Rock Hotel in Pattaya in Chon Buri province.

and from TAN Network News - Songkran 2008

But the atmosphere is a little more somber in Pattani province where sales of Songkran accessories, including water guns, have been very quiet. A local store owner reveals southern insurgents had previously used acid to attack Songkran revelers in the province in the past. This has caused parents to take their children to celebrate Songkran elsewhere.

Authorities in southern Thailand have conducted preliminary checks on stores that sell acid to ban any distribution of acid before and during the Songkran festival.

Hat Yai Songkran 2005

On the evening news it was reported that a couple of teenagers in Pattani were found squirting water laced with acid. Six of their victims needed hospital treatment - a really great way for them to end what should have been an enjoyable day.

so yes there have been stories.

Edited by Atmos

^ Google;

one links to this forum, a thread Briton Held Over Acid Attack but does not offer any conclusive proof - Songkran 2006

Original story from The Nation here

Briton held over acid attack

PATTAYA: -- A Norwegian tourist and a Thai boy were yesterday injured by mild acid shot at them from a water gun by a foreign man near the Hard Rock Hotel in Pattaya in Chon Buri province.

and from TAN Network News - Songkran 2008

But the atmosphere is a little more somber in Pattani province where sales of Songkran accessories, including water guns, have been very quiet. A local store owner reveals southern insurgents had previously used acid to attack Songkran revelers in the province in the past. This has caused parents to take their children to celebrate Songkran elsewhere.

Authorities in southern Thailand have conducted preliminary checks on stores that sell acid to ban any distribution of acid before and during the Songkran festival.

so yes there have been stories.

Thanks -- what did you search? I went through pages of results with "acid' and "songkran" but nothing came up.

But interesting to note the ONLY case was by a farang who shot something that made a couple people's eyes itchy and red.

The other link you provide is simply a shop owner claiming insurgents in the south have done this.

Edited by Nisa

A few years back there were stories of acid being thrown in place of water during Songkran.

Oh well, that should be good enough proof for everyone here, carry on members of the Thai Bashers Brigadetm!

BTW, I think I recall reading somewhere about a story in which some people in the UK were putting razors in sandwiches. I think it was razors. Wait, no, it was some kind of drug. Oh, it wasn't sandwiches, it was candy! Hang on, it wasn't the UK, it was France. I know you can't Google it or find any corroboration, but I can confirm I read that somewhere. Or maybe my friend read it and told me? Now that I think about it, I think it was a Tweet. In any case I am certain it is true and completely indicative of the behavior of the people in those countries. That is if you could even call them people, the foreigner-hating savages! I would never visit them or live in those places, and if I did for some reason I would certainly never eat a sandwich or candy there.

Did you actually read news accounts of these "stories" or was it more inline with a forum poster making statements like you?

The reason I ask is I can't seem to find any news accounts of acid attacks during Songkran and would love a link to learn more about this.

Nisa - I did say 'no conclusive proof'

just pointing out that the poster may well have read stories; which is all he claimed.

The link BB has provided to another thread has had over 4000 views in this forum. The one I quoted has over 900 views.

I have no opinion on whether they are factual or not; the TV thread faded without any result re the Briton who was arrested. And Google offers nothing on his fate so I'd suggest maybe nothing was proven.

You answered before I'd added the third story example - which appears to be the possible acid incident mentioned in my 2nd example.

Now I too have read these stories; still none the wiser as to their veracity.

Edited by Atmos

Oh well, that should be good enough proof for everyone here, carry on members of the Thai Bashers Brigadetm!

BTW, I think I recall reading somewhere about a story in which some people in the UK were putting razors in sandwiches. I think it was razors. Wait, no, it was some kind of drug. Oh, it wasn't sandwiches, it was candy! Hang on, it wasn't the UK, it was France. I know you can't Google it or find any corroboration, but I can confirm I read that somewhere. Or maybe my friend read it and told me? Now that I think about it, I think it was a Tweet. In any case I am certain it is true and completely indicative of the behavior of the people in those countries. That is if you could even call them people, the foreigner-hating savages! I would never visit them or live in those places, and if I did for some reason I would certainly never eat a sandwich or candy there.

You seem confused. A breakfast Martini should do the trick.

Just to be clear ... There are NO news reports of any specific incident of a Thai spraying anyone with acid during Songkran that anyone has been able to find. The only account that even comes close to this a farang who appears to have sprayed a

Thai and another farang with some irritant.

Are you suggesting that the Thai kid got a laugh out of this when the farang sprayed him with the substance? Maybe you think he asked for it?

Sarcasm aside, don't you think you should retract your statement or provide a link to back up such a claim and insinuation about Thais?

Edited by Nisa

Sarcasm aside, don't you think you should retract your statement or provide a link to back up such a claim and insinuation about Thais?

Is defending the face and honor of all Thais your job description or something? If so, I don't envy you, it's like cleaning, never finished.

Is defending the face and honor of all Thais your job description or something? If so, I don't envy you, it's like cleaning, never finished.

Actually, I sometimes just have a hard time not pointing out or questioning things that seem untrue and slanderous. It just so happens on this forum a lot of these comments are directed towards Thais as a whole including this example where it would appear a poster tried to paint all Thais in a bad light for what appears to be the act of a farang against a Thai and another farang.

Edited by Nisa

The reports I read in the papers...were Thai related....the Thai person doing the nasty deed...who would have thought huh ?

Forgive me Nisa for not keeping the papers and scanning them for future reference for the likes of you.

Nisa, the Thai Bashers Brigadetm are not going to be confused by any facts, far from it. Their one task here at Thai Visa is to bash Thailand and Thais, and they are not going to let any details get in the way. It must be a miserable way to exist, especially if they choose to live here, but I guess it floats their boat. I have a hunch that more than a few brigade members have finished their days by diving off their Pattaya condo. Oh wait, no farang commits suicide in Pattaya, those are all just very cleverly disguised murders, those invidious Thais!

Edited by qualtrough

You guys are just too smart for me.

If it ain't on the internet it ain't true, simple as that.

The defensiveness in this thread reminds of the time a great American Patriot named Archie Bunker defended his favorite president when someone dared to say something negative regarding things he did:

"Eisenhower was a great president who didn't do anything!"

Sad thing that racist overtones are allowed to flourish on a story that still has no real proof of it being malicious or even done with any ill intent.

There could be any number of (accidental) explanations, even the chilli fumes scenario could be credible.

Or what of any form of overhead leaking equipment, tainted liquid or acid from an aircon unit, or even someone cleaning air con units? Is anyone ever suprised what could be possible in BK these days??

I even read a story from Thailand where a large fish fell out of the sky from the jaws of a large bird and wound up on a golfing green, so im sure more bizzare things have happened.

The thing that strikes me about this whole thing is..IF some evil twisted persons did this, what possible motive could be had? Even in the worst of places around the world, the kind of person up to no good does it to gain finacial benefit.

But here we have.. no robbery, no actual perp being spotted, no motive..just some-one possible being a little overdramtic to gain a bit of free publicity. I doubt a Thai or anyone else would bother to do this in such a public place and risk being caught for absolutely nothing, and Thais will not usually put themselves in the sh!t for no financial gain..and it would cost them to buy th poison :huh:

Also, the westerners on here who pull the racism tag are fueling the very fire they whinge about, seeing how they constantly refer to everything as Thai against Farang. You are doing nothing for your "anti racial hatred" cause by continually fixating on the seperation of races.

Very rarely on these pages will you hear " How can a human being do this to another",or anything of such reasoning, Its always about one race against another.:ermm:

The thing that strikes me about this whole thing is..IF some evil twisted persons did this, what possible motive could be had? Even in the worst of places around the world, the kind of person up to no good does it to gain finacial benefit.

I disagree - Gang initiations, general boredom, simply youths being idiots having grown up with no sense of right and wrong. Society in Thailand in general is perhaps seeing a shift towards a culture in which responsibility for ones actions is not taught, youths / kids / idiots will sometimes F£$K with something simply for the sake of doing so..... Perhaps this meaningless crime, car scratching, broken windows and more general audacious crime and poor behavior is a sign of things to come.

Or perhaps, as we mature and age we simply notice more of it, after all at some point we will either experience the negative effects or encounter the negative aspects of life in some form or another.

Very rarely on these pages will you hear " How can a human being do this to another",or anything of such reasoning, Its always about one race against another.:ermm:

Agreed - There are a number of 'realists' on this forum who understand that a lot of the negative things which occur in Thailand also occur in our home countries. I suspect the recent rioting in the UK humbled the opinion of many a Brit.

There is no proof that this is a racially motivated attack. However, all other things being equal logic would conclude that pertinent advice should be taken on board by all foreigners and those others who stand out in Thailand to be careful.

Perhaps one of the more pressing and outstanding issues is that in 'other countries', ones with the benefit of technology to provide evidence, and a police force capable / intent on pursuing a crime such as this there is a higher chance of the perpetrators being located and charged.

In Thailand there appears to be an attitude whereby no one was seriously injured so until someone is, its ok. *It's this attitude and aspect of a lack of enforcement of the law which worries me.

*10 pages into a topic I see no need for a debate regarding the pro's and con's of so called police state or nanny state system.

Edited by richard_smith237

But here we have.. no robbery, no actual perp being spotted, no motive..just some-one possible being a little overdramtic to gain a bit of free publicity. I doubt a Thai or anyone else would bother to do this in such a public place and risk being caught for absolutely nothing, and Thais will not usually put themselves in the sh!t for no financial gain..and it would cost them to buy th poison :huh:

While I also agree with these sentiments, this issue is still worth watching.

I read years ago of a Westerner who was attacked by a gang with a wooden batons (at the Petchaburi end of Ratchadapisek rd in Bangkok). There was no other reason for this attack other than perhaps being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the victim could have been an innocent Thai or an innocent foreigner. Or as reported it was a racially motivated attack.

The fact is these crimes are overlooked, ignored and kept quiet. Koh Samet is a good example - Apparently there is a relatively high incidence of rape against western women which does not get reported beyond the island (A resort Manager in Samet told me this by the way). I have no way of proving whether or not this is true. But for every x amount of the population there are x amount of people who really shouldn't be permitted to mix. Without the warnings, without the reports and regardless of whether or not we choose to believe them even this 'acid attack' is worth noting.

It's is also worth noting as you have done, that this could simply be some crappy water dripping on a paranoid young woman. In another incidence it could be boiling oil accidentally spilled from a side-stall kitchen, or an strong static shock off the escalator - nevertheless, all these incidents are worthy of note - The speculation simply comes with the territory, the racist idiots generally alert the majority of readers to their ignorance before the ending of their sentence.

For those that follow journalists and writers on Twitter already know that there are multiple reported cases the recent days, several [foreign] women being attacked.

Some will deny it happens without acid-proof in their face - let them.

They will slowly read up on the events eventually.

For those that follow journalists and writers on Twitter already know that there are multiple reported cases the recent days, several [foreign] women being attacked.

Journalists and writers are using twitter (140 character limit) to report news as opposed to using twitter to direct people to their actual news?

Regardless, at least now we are talking about something that certainly can be linked here. Can you provide those links so we too can find out more about the multiple attacks against foreign women the last few days?

Journalists and writers are using twitter (140 character limit) to report news as opposed to using twitter to direct people to their actual news?

Regardless, at least now we are talking about something that certainly can be linked here. Can you provide those links so we too can find out more about the multiple attacks against foreign women the last few days?

It is a communications-tool. Maybe you should check it out one day.

In anyway, information is power. And I have no interest in helping you. If you were someone I found pleasant, sure, but...

Exactly. Every bad thing that happens here, whether real or not, is proof to them of the inherent evil of Thais and their culture. To my amusement, lately they have been having a really bad run, with some high profile cases that were initially pinned on Thais turning out to have been committed by farangs. Apologies? Never!

Not to beat a dead horse, but her original blog post now contains a note at the top saying that they did report it to the Thai Police the night of the incident and that it is being thoroughly investigated. I find that noteworthy because I specifically remember being surprised that there was no mention of a report to the police when I read her blog the other day. I wish I had taken a screen capture because there are a number of other details that I think have been added to the original post without any indication it was edited. I am not talking about the dated updates, I am referring to the original post.

Two things raise red flags for me:

She writes:

I will update further only when given the go-ahead by them. With 'them' meaning the police.

Really? The police asked her not to provide updates unless they gave her the go-ahead? Simply not credible.

The second is that she writes that people have asked her to post images of her husband's injuries, but she won't do so because he is 'not a sideshow act.'

Again, this makes no sense. She tweets the story, blogs it, but cannot even release an image of the wounds (no need to show his entire face) because that would make him a side-show act? How so?

Note that both of these statements give her cover, i.e. "I wish I could tell you more but the police won't let me", and "Sure I could provide some evidence in the form of images, but I am not going to because that would make my husband a side-show act"

Now, I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that something may be rotten in Denmark here.

Nisa, the Thai Bashers Brigadetm are not going to be confused by any facts, far from it. Their one task here at Thai Visa is to bash Thailand and Thais, and they are not going to let any details get in the way. It must be a miserable way to exist, especially if they choose to live here, but I guess it floats their boat. I have a hunch that more than a few brigade members have finished their days by diving off their Pattaya condo. Oh wait, no farang commits suicide in Pattaya, those are all just very cleverly disguised murders, those invidious Thais!

:clap2: So true.