Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

Sorry to nitpick, but please allow me to make a few spelling corrections: :o

ขี้เมา kêe mao (being/behaving like an alcoholic)

ขี้เหนี kêe neeao+ (stingy, tight-fisted)

ขี้เกีย kêe gèeat (lazy)

As for ขี้อยากรู้ (kêe yàak rúu) - Sounds a bit weird, not sure there is such a word, maybe อยากรู้อยากเห็น (yàak rúu yàak hĕn) = nosy, curious, prying

Now for a few of my own :D

ขี้อาย (kêe aai) = shy, bashful, easily embarassed

ขี้กลัว (kêe glua) = gets scared easily, not venturous

ขี้ขลาด (kêe klaat) = cowardly, "yellow" (more negative than ขี้กลัว)

ขี้ตู่ (kêe dtòo) = to falsely claim (such as show someone a picture of a model and claim that she's your girlfriend)

ขี้โกหก (kêe goh-hòk) = likes to lie (like a pathological liar :D)

ขี้โกง (kêe gonge) = dishonest, tricky, crafty, has a tendency to cheat (such as to cheat at poker, deliberately overbill, etc.)

ขี้หึง (kêe hĕung) = being the jealous type (as in a romantic relationship, being possessive)

ขี้อิจฉา (kêe ìt-chăa ) = envious, covetous, jealous (as in being jealous of others because they are better off than you)

Sorry to nitpick, but please allow me to make a few spelling corrections:  :o
ขี้เมา kêe mao (being/behaving like an alcoholic)

ขี้เหนี kêe neeao+ (stingy, tight-fisted)

ขี้เกีย kêe gèeat (lazy)

As for ขี้อยากรู้ (kêe yàak rúu) - Sounds a bit weird, not sure there is such a word, maybe อยากรู้อยากเห็น (yàak rúu yàak hĕn) = nosy, curious, prying

Now for a few of my own :D

ขี้อาย (kêe aai) = shy, bashful, easily embarassed

ขี้กลัว (kêe glua) = gets scared easily, not venturous

ขี้ขลาด (kêe klaat) = cowardly, "yellow" (more negative than ขี้กลัว)

ขี้ตู่ (kêe dtòo) = to falsely claim (such as show someone a picture of a model and claim that she's your girlfriend)

ขี้โกหก (kêe goh-hòk) = likes to lie (like a pathological liar :D)

ขี้โกง (kêe gonge) = dishonest, tricky, crafty, has a tendency to cheat (such as to cheat at poker, deliberately overbill, etc.)

ขี้หึง (kêe hĕung) = being the jealous type (as in a romantic relationship, being possessive)

ขี้อิจฉา (kêe ìt-chăa ) = envious, covetous, jealous (as in being jealous of others because they are better off than you)

Thanks for the spelling corrections, siamesekitty. Should have checked with thai2english first. :D

I did not make up ขี้อยากรู้ (kêe yàak rúu) myself, my Thai friends use it. It may an internal thing they have going though - I will ask.

@ siamesekitty

how is the ขี้เหม็น ? :o

Bad bad Bambi! :D

I did not make up ขี้อยากรู้ (kêe yàak rúu) myself, my Thai friends use it. It may an internal thing they have going though - I will ask.

Actually come to think of it I might have heard it used before as well, in playful banter.. "แหม... ขี้อยากรู้จริงจริ๊งงง!" :D Sometimes Thais like to put "ขี้" in front of words to make slang, kind of like "-est" in English.. "You're my bestest friend in the whole wide world!"

Edited by siamesekitty
  • Like 1

Today's word of the day is

เปล่า

bplào

[ NEG ] no ; not

[ ADJ ] empty ; blank ; vacant

น้ำเปล่า

náam bplào

plain water

ข้าวเปล่า

kâao bplào

plain rice

หรือเปล่า or รึเปล่า

rĕu bplào réu bplào

or not

e.g. ผมยังไม่รู้ว่าผมจะออกไปรึเปล่า

pŏm yang mâi róo wâa pŏm jà òk bpai réu bplào

I still don't know if I'm going out or not

นักเรียนทำอะไรอยู่

nák rian tam à-rai yòo

Student, what are you doing?

เปล่า

bplào

Nothing.

Monday

wun jun

Tuesday

wun ung-kan

Wednesday

wun poot

Thursday

wun pa-rue-hut-sa-bor-dee (*)

Friday

wun sook

Saturday

wun sao

Sunday

wun ar-tit

* In the every day life, we don't really say Thursday that long. We usually shorten it to "wun pa-rue-hut" so it is easier to say and remember..

Taken from http://www.learningthai.com

Sorry I've been slack as I had an accident recently.

Sore!

เจ็บปวด

jèp bpùat

แสบ

sàep - this is sore like when you put lemon juice on an open wound. Khlong saen saeb water would make you feel this way :o

My understanding is เจ็บ or

แสบ is a stabbing pain which is more painful than ปวด

เมื่อย

mêuay - this is when you feel sort of sore and stiff like the day after jogging(well me anyway)

How about someone else with some more medical words for pain and soreness etc.

เคย koiee is today's word. Meaning ever

I often explain it as meaning "have", or if you know the Present Perfect Tense in English, it makes it this tense.

Have you ever been to Chiang Mai?

คุณเคย เชียงใหม่รึเปล่า? Koon koiee bpai Chiang mai

Have you ever seen the rain?

คุยเคยเห็นฝนตกรึเปล่า koon koiee hen fon dtok reu plao

Yes, I have - koiee

No I haven't - mai koiee

I've met many Thais tell me in English - I ever been to Chiang Mai, which is, of course wrong. This is because เคย can also mean - used to

I used to be an engineer

ผมเคยเป็นวิศวกรน้ำมัน pom koiee pen wisawagon naman

Sorry for any inaccuracies - I'm learning to type Thai.ขอโทษด้วยที่พิมพ์ ค่อยถูก ผมกำลังเรียนภาษาไทย

ขอ มีความสุขในช่วงวันหยุดสุดสัปดาห

Edited by Neeranam

Far - glai - ไกล

Near - glâi - ใกล้

These have caused me problems in the past.

Whern someone asked , "glai mai" I'd reply glai(far) or mai glai(not far) as i couldn't differentiate between the sounds.

มหาสารคามอยู่ใกล้ฯขอนแก่น mahasarakham yoo glâi glâi Khon Kaen - MS is near KK.

As it's near the King's birthday, how about some words related to His Majesty?

ในหลวง = Nai Luang (Royal Boss) = an affectionate name reserved for the King. Kind of like his nickname instead of a longer "Pra-chao-yoo-hua" (The Lord Above One's Head).

Rao Ja Soo Per Nai Luang = We shall fight for the King (the phrase on Sondhi's yellow shirt)

วันเฉลิมฯ = Wan chalerm = No, not Chalerm's infamous son (who has changed his name to only "Wan". This is shortened from a longer word you don't want to remember (and the "ฯ" signifies that, as in "กรุงเทพฯ" -- the city whose real name is the world's longest). It means "royal birthday" for any member of the royal family. But of course, there are only two holidays, which are the King's and the Queen's birthday (Dec 5, Aug 12). BTW, Dec 5 is also Thailand's National Day (Wan Chart) and Father's day (Wan Por).

เศรษฐกิจพอเพียง = Settakij Porpiang = self-sufficiency economy. A royal project after the financial crisis of 1997, which IMO seems to be the opposite of Thaksinomics.

ทรงพระเจริญ = song pra chareon = Long Live the King!

Long Live the King! and happy father's day to all you fathers out there :o

ประจำ - be stationed; be placed permanently; be posted (Definition from Lexitron).

เป็นประจำ - Regular, cyclically, at regular intervals.

ภาษาไทยไม่ค่อยยาก แค่ต้องใช้เวลาหน่อยและมีความอดทน นอกจากนั้นผู้เรียนควรฝึกบ่อยเป็นประจำ

Sometimes people use it sarcastically, or to emphasize a point, to mean "all the time".

ลูกค้าประจำ - A regular customer (at a shop).

ขาประจำ - A regular (player, visitor). Literally "regular legs'. So I guess this is an idiom. Not sure where it comes from.ผู้หญิงพวกนี้เป็นขาประจำของร้านป้าแดง .

การมีประจำเดือน - Menstruation.

วัยหมดประจำเดือน - Menopause.

* In the every day life, we don't really say Thursday that long. We usually shorten it to "wun pa-rue-hut" so it is easier to say and remember..
Thursday can be shortened further to "wun hut"! (In the south anyway)

• 2 months later...
May I suggest as well that we do keep it to one word (or another specified number) so that we don't have a dictionary thread appearing and everyword can be properly discussed.

Withnail,I agree with what you say,especially the discussion about every word(s) offered,good thinking my friend,well done.

KC

เจ็บปวด

jèp bpùat

แสบ

sàep - this is sore like when you put lemon juice on an open wound. Khlong saen saeb water would make you feel this way :o

My understanding is เจ็บ or

แสบ is a stabbing pain which is more painful than ปวด

เมื่อย

mêuay - this is when you feel sort of sore and stiff like the day after jogging(well me anyway)

How about someone else with some more medical words for pain and soreness etc.

In response to a request for other words on pain and soreness:

I find that แสบ most directly corresponds with the English word "sting", like lemon juice or rubbing alcohol on a wound or a sunburn.

And don't forget เสียว sĭaw, which is used to describe shooting pains, like a tooth pain, especially when going to the dentist, or probably that funny-bone pain, too. (เสียว is also used to describe a feeling of panic/fear, like if someone thought they had locked their keys in their car and looked all over frantically and finally found them. เสียว is that feeling, too. It can also be a thrilling feeling (in a positive way), or even with regard to feelings of sexual pleasure.

How's that for a multipurpose word?

• Like 1

Chan = I ( female) Pom = I (male)

eeyou = hungary

nueye = tired

mac mar = alot, very much

Sorry, but I really have to correct this. The spelling is atrocious!

Chan - ฉัน (I: female or male speaker*) Pom - ผม (I: male speaker). ผม also means hair (on the head).

hĭw - หิว = hungry

nèuay - เหนื่อย = tired

mark mark - มาก ๆ = alot, very much

Please use www.thai2english.com for transliterations.

* This may generate some debate.

• 3 weeks later...
sa-naam-bin = airport

(liSA went to vietNAM to but her rubbish in the BIN)Ponounce as one word

haawng-naahm = washroom / toilet / WC

(I flew from HONG kong to vietNAM by plane)

barn = house / dwelling

(the cows are in the BARN at the farm)

mai-ow = do not want

(i cut MY leg it hurt and I shouted nOW)

Cheeky Farnag !!:o What an amazing way to remember words!!!!!!!! It provides a neumonic device for remembering!!! More !! I want MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or is there a source I can go to ? Are these your own?? :D

• 3 weeks later...
tooth = fun

BF/GF = fan

right?

Explorer  :o

Maybe the answer is for the POSTER of words is to include a English word or saying and UNDERLINE the section to indicate the pronounced word they have given.

Ie

fun = teeth or tooth

(I had FUN at the fair today)

Khaw-Thort = sorry / excuse me

(The rook makes a CAW sound, this is what I was TAUGHT at school)Pronounce as one word

Chock-Dee = good luck

(The last CHOCK was taken away by CynDEE so the vehicle could move)

See-Far = the color blue

(I can't SEE to FAR in the mist of the night)

Ling - monkey (generic name)

(Today on a fishing trip I caught a LING fish)

Gin-Jock = geko

(I drink GIN and tonic, but my scottish friend JOCK drinks beer)Pronounce as one word

tor-a-sap = telephone

(i TORE some bark from A tree and I could see the SAP dripping down) Pronounce as one word

Any one any thoughts on this idea, but for sure WE do need to use one format here, the problem is many Thai words have no English equivalent, but we should be able to get many many basic words on this thread.

Cheers

CF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry 'snake', I kinda forgot about this thread. I am "kee leum" a forgetful person.

New word today - TOO MUCH

มากเกินไป

Example

I have too much money!

ผมมีเงินมากเกินไป

although you can say ผมมีเงิน to mean "I am rich/wealthy", the 'pom mee ngern mak gern bpai" kinda emphasises it and makes it funny.

Too expensive - "paing bpai" แพงไป

• 3 weeks later...

I’m pretty new to writing Thai and the Thai language (have been living in Thailand for about 2 years).. but I’d like to contribute as I’m learning to type in Thai.. if I spell anything incorrectly I'd be grateful if a more advanced speaker could correct me!

So, here are some very basic words to discuss telephones and telephone lines (as I recently had a line installed)

Telephone: too-ra-sap โทรศัพท์

Telephone number: ber too-ra-sap เบอรโทรศัพท์

Telephone bill: ka too-ra-sap ค่าโทรศัพท์

Telephone service: bo-ri-gan too-ra-sap บริการโทรศัพท์

Answer the telephone: rab too-ra-sap รับโทรศัพท์

Cable: kee-ben เคเบิล

Electric: fai-faa ไฟฟ้า

Signal: san-yaan สัญญาณ

Dead line: sai-sia สายเสีย

:-)

Rich

Edited by Fraktalkid

• 1 month later...

Here is a word for today..

ขฌะที่ kanar ti = While

ห้างสรรพสินค้า harng sup pa sin kar = Shopping mall

เจอ jer = meet

อยู่ = yuu = there, here

ผมเจอเพื่อนขณะที่อยู่ห้างสรรพสินค้า Pom jer puan kanar ti yuu harng sup pa sin kar.

I met my friend while I was at the shopping mall.

I hope this helps...

clowntown!

word for today

โดยเฉพาะ (doy cha por) = especially

ผมชอบเบียร์มากมาก โดยเฉพาะเบียร์สด

pom chop beer mark mark doy cha por beer sod

I like beer very much especially draught beer

In the Rai!

• 2 weeks later...