Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

Thank you, Khun Yoot, for that explanation.

Also, from the book, “คำคล้องจอง, เสน่ห์ของภาษาไทย” [“Harmonious Words – The Charm of the Thai Language"] comes the following explanation:

“เสือสิงห์กระทิงแรด น. สัตว์ปี่ดุรายทั้งหลาย (สำนวน) โดยปริยายหมายถึงคนที่รู้มาก ชอบเอาเปรียบ มีเล่ห์เหลี่ยมเยอะ ใครอยู่ใกล้มักมีอันตราย”

“ ‘Tigers, Lions, Bulls, and Rhinoceroses’ Noun. A set of wild and fierce animals. (Metaphor) By implication this phrase makes reference to people who are very knowledgeable and who are prone to taking advantage of others. Whoever is near them will be in danger.”

This definition seems to emphasize only the negative side of Khun Yoot’s explanation.

I think that this needs an emperical field test: All of you readers who are in Thai academia, try interjecting the term “เสือสิงห์กระทิงแรด” into a conversation when referring to senior members of the faculty and see what the reaction is. Please keep us informed.

[Maybe this phrase is artistically related to Dorothy’s exclamation, “Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!” from the Wizard of Oz.]

What would we do without Yoot?!

Watching Traipop on TITV on his millionaire game can be illuminating. One of the questions was about the origins of ฟันธง which you see so many times in the papers. I knew it meant standpoint or view decided on a particular issue but I thought it came from something like sticking the flag in the ground claiming the territory, ie this is where I stand; rather it's from motor car racing when the official waves the flag to signify the winner, race decided, over, positions decided.

“เสือสิงห์กระทิงแรด น. สัตว์ปี่ดุรายทั้งหลาย (สำนวน) โดยปริยายหมายถึงคนที่รู้มาก ชอบเอาเปรียบ มีเล่ห์เหลี่ยมเยอะ ใครอยู่ใกล้มักมีอันตราย”

“ ‘Tigers, Lions, Bulls, and Rhinoceroses’ Noun. A set of wild and fierce animals. (Metaphor) By implication this phrase makes reference to people who are very knowledgeable and who are prone to taking advantage of others. Whoever is near them will be in danger.”

This definition seems to emphasize only the negative side of Khun Yoot’s explanation.

Let me clarify on my explanation.

When I gave examples about this group of people in a competition or in a firm, I mean those people know exactly what they have to do to win the competition or to achieve their career in the firm. From knowing that they would do whatever it take including using any tricks they have to get that goal. So, when this saying describing these people as 'whoever is near them will be in danger', it doesn't mean only in real physical danger, it might be you are in danger from helping yourself to reach that goal because you know what you have to do less than them. So, the outcome might be you would lose the competition or you couldn't get higher position in the firm than those people.

In thai I would say "ถ้าคุณเข้าร่วมการแข่งขันที่ผู้เข้าแข่งขันเต็มไปด้วยเหล่าเสือสิงห์กระทิงแรด การจะเอาชนะพวกเขานั้นไม่ใช่เรื่องง่ายเอาเสียเลย" or "เมื่อคุณเข้าทำงานในบริษัทใด ๆ ที่ผู้ร่วมงานล้วนเป็นผู้ที่มีประสบการณ์การทำงานมาอย่างยาวนาน การที่คุณจะขึ้นไปอยู่เหนือเหล่าเสือสิงห์กระทิงแรดเหล่านี้ คุณจะต้องใช้ความสามารถและความพยายามเป็นอย่างมากจึงจะประสบผลสำเร็จได้"

• 2 weeks later...

Reading about the Chinese\Thai gang that was swindling people by emptying their bank accounts by phoning them and persuading them to tell their Pin number, I came across this phrase-ทำนาบนหลังคน meaning to rip-off, cheat. I was wondering if anyone knew the origin of this phrase as well as ตีกิน which, in another article I read, suggested meant to take advantage of or cheat.

Thanks.

Reading about the Chinese\Thai gang that was swindling people by emptying their bank accounts by phoning them and persuading them to tell their Pin number, I came across this phrase-ทำนาบนหลังคน meaning to rip-off, cheat. I was wondering if anyone knew the origin of this phrase as well as ตีกิน which, in another article I read, suggested meant to take advantage of or cheat.

Thanks.

The book, "คำดล้องจอง", "Harmonious Words", contains the following explanation of the phrase "ทำนาบนหลังคน" as follows:

"หาผลประโยชน์ใส่ตนโดยขูดรีดผู้อื่น".

Lexitron: ขูดรีด [V] fleece; exploit; extort; plunder

"On the backs of": could the comparison be to comparing what one is doing to the victim to what a farmer does to his buffalo or bullock in the fields?

Thanks for bringing this up; it's one for the notebook for sure.

Thanks.

I don't think this example is fitted with the saying 'ทำนาบนหลังคน'. This Chinese/Thai gang should be called "สิบแปดมงกุฎ".

Examples for this saying ''ทำนาบนหลังคน' ;

เจ้าของแท๊กซี่ให้คนขับเช่ารถในราคาสูง ซึ่งทำให้คนขับต้องทำงานหนักมากขึ้นเพื่อหาเงินมาพอจ่ายค่าเช่า

บริษัทเงินกู้ คิดดอกเบี้ยเงินกู้ในอัตราที่สูง - in this case you can take those easy money companies as examples.

'ทำนาบนหลังคน' might mean rip-off or cheat but it's something that if you get involved you wouldn't be able to avoid it, you have to pay for it anyway and mostly legally. Which is different to "สิบแปดมงกุฎ" - illegally.

ตีกิน has two meanings: to assume and to seize an opportunity. Actually this saying is rarely used in the meaning of cheating. But I think to take advantage of something might be the better meaning.

"On the backs of": could the comparison be to comparing what one is doing to the victim to what a farmer does to his buffalo or bullock in the fields?

I think you are right.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the phrase ปากเเข็ง meant refuse to admit guilt but when I saw it with ปากเเข็งเเต่ขาสั่น I wasn't so sure. It seemed to mean all talk no action, just hot air, empty words. Anyone have any views on this?

I thought the phrase ปากเเข็ง meant refuse to admit guilt but when I saw it with ปากเเข็งเเต่ขาสั่น I wasn't so sure. It seemed to mean all talk no action, just hot air, empty words. Anyone have any views on this?

Unfortunately my English is not very good (I am German), but I try my best...

The phrase ปากแข็งแต่ขาสั่น may be used when someone still denies something, althouth there is proof enough that he doesn't say the truth. Although there is enough proof, he does not admit guilt.

Erwin (อัศวิน)

Unfortunately my English is not very good (I am German), but I try my best...

The phrase ปากแข็งแต่ขาสั่น may be used when someone still denies something, althouth there is proof enough that he doesn't say the truth. Although there is enough proof, he does not admit guilt.

Erwin (อัศวิน)

Thanks for that Erwin, but I wonder why it includes ขาสั่น shaky legs- as that suggests cowardice to English speakers-wobbly, buckling knees. Perhaps it means the speaker is too cowardly to admit the truth.

This is a great phrase! I have never heard this before. I tried to find it in the books that I have but to no avail. So, I googled and this is one of the most explanatory in usage from 13 October of this year:

แล้วทำไมกลัวกันจัง.... ถึงพยายามยืดการเลือกตั้งออกไป รวมทั้งพยายาม

หาเรื่องยุบพรรค บล็อคการถ่ายทอด

พวกปากแข็งขาสั่น ...ดีแต่ปากนะพวกคุณ ก็เลยไม่ไปไหนเสียที

Why are they so afraid . . . They even tried to push back [the timing] of the election. they also tried

to find an excuse to dissolve the political party and to block the broadcast [of the Thaksin tapes (?)]

These people are outspoken but inside they are weak-kneed . . . You people can only talk a good line. You will never get anywhere.

If I were a newspaper writer, I would tweak the English metaphor of "the spirit is strong but the flesh is weak" to say, perhaps "their tongue is brave but their knees are weak."

My wife provided an additional meaning. She gives an example of a robber who is caught after the act but claims his innocence. However, one can tell from the lack of conviction in his voice that he is really guilty of the crime. How about, "he whispered his denial through quivering lips."

Might this be a subset of the broader meaning of body language belying one's words?

Any thoughts?

Edited by DavidHouston

ปากเเข็ง means refusing to confess, tight-lipped, argumentative. It's not only about refuse to admit guilt.

ปากเเข็งเเต่ขาสั่น, for this saying, I think it has been changed from the saying 'ปากกล้าขาสั่น'.

ปากกล้า means sharp-tongued, bold and insolent in speech.

I rarely heard ปากเเข็งเเต่ขาสั่น was used before but it seems it's used a lot lately even on the news.

The meaning of this saying is like someone is saying something persistent or determined but in fact that one don't really feel confident with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering about the phrase-ชี้นกเป็นนกชี้ไม้เป็นไม้ Does it mean,' you must say what I say( whether I'm right or wrong is irrelevant) or does it mean, 'you must do whatever I say'( boss is always right syndrome)?

Cheers.

I was wondering about the phrase-ชี้นกเป็นนกชี้ไม้เป็นไม้ Does it mean,' you must say what I say( whether I'm right or wrong is irrelevant) or does it mean, 'you must do whatever I say'( boss is always right syndrome)?

Cheers.

ชี้นกเป็นนก ชี้ไม้เป็นไม้ - ว่าอะไรว่าตามกัน from http://www.student.chula.ac.th/~47437842/webpage/animal.htm

From "Harmonious Words" comes the following:

"ว่าอะไรเห็นตามนั้นทุกอย่าง พูดอย่างไรก็พูดตามกัน, ไม่ว่าผู้มีอำนาจจะว่าอย่างใด ผู้น้อยก็ต้องคลอ้ยตามไปอย่างนั้นพราะกลัวหรือประจบ"

Sure looks like a combination of your two suppositions, doesn't it?

Words vs. Meaning.

A certain Thai saying continues to baffle. The saying is

กินอยู่กับปาก อยากอยู่กับท้อง

(ก.) (สำนวน) รู้ดีอยู่แล้วแสร้งทำเป็นไม่รู้.

which, I found means, to pretend not to be knowledgeable of what one already knows.

Could someone please explain how the literal words about eating, mouths, and stomachs comes to mean "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"?

Thanks.

Edited by DavidHouston

Words vs. Meaning.

A certain Thai saying continues to baffle. The saying is

กินอยู่กับปาก อยากอยู่กับท้อง

(ก.) (สำนวน) รู้ดีอยู่แล้วแสร้งทำเป็นไม่รู้.

which, I found means, to pretend not to be knowledgeable of what one already knows.

Could someone please explain how the literal words about eating, mouths, and stomachs comes to mean "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"?

Thanks.

กินอยู่กับปาก อยากอยู่กับท้อง, literal translation - when you eat you eat by your own mouth (so, you must know what you have eaten), when you are hungry, your stomach would show you that feeling (so, you should know by yourself that you feel hungry)

By this leteral meaning, it shows that you know exactly what have hanppened or have done. This saying is often used to criticize or accuse the one who pretend not to be knowledfeable of what they have done.

For example;

A wife has accused her husband about having a mistress but the husband denied her accusation. The wife would say " กินอยู่กับปาก อยากอยู่กับท้อง ไม่ต้องมาทำเป็นปฎิเสธหรอก", which means you, yourself know very well what you have done, don't be refused.

Can someone explain this proverb: ดูตาม้าตาเรือ

I know the meaning is something like "look before you leap," but I can't quite grasp how these particular words add up to that?

I don't get the horse and the boat together (or is it the chess piece "rook"?). Either way...

Thanks.

I found this explanation from the "เรียงร้อยถ้อยไทย" website:

"ดูตาม้าตาเรือ" มาจากการเล่นหมากรุกของคนไทย ในการเล่นหมากรุกจะมีตัวหมากที่เรียกว่า ม้า และเรือ ม้าจะเดินทแยงทำให้สังเกตได้ยาก ส่วนเรือก็เดินตายาวไปได้จนสุดกระดาน ดังนั้นต้องระมัดระวังมากเวลาเดินหมาก เพราะอาจเผลอเดินไปถูกตาม้าหรือตาเรือเข้าจะถูกกิน จึงเกิดเป็นสำนวน ดูตาม้าตาเรือ ซึ่งหมายความว่า จะทำอะไรก็ต้องดูให้รอบคอบ ส่วนการไม่ดูอะไรว่าอะไรอยู่หลัง หรือซุ่มซ่าม จะเรียกว่าไม่ดูตาม้าตาเรือ

It comes from Thai chess, from the ม้า (literally "horse" = Knight) and the เรือ (literally "boat" = Rook). The Knight moves in a diagonal direction, which makes it difficult to beware of, and the Rook can move along the whole line it's on. Therefore, you have to be very careful of these two, because you might accidentally end up in their paths.

The word "ตา", besides meaning "eye" or "grandfather", can also mean "turn" as in your turn in a game.

So, if you don't look where you're going (eg. moving your chess piece), you might "walk into the path" of a Knight or Rook when it's their turn. The expression thus means, be very careful before you do something.

The expression "ไม่ดูตาม้าตาเรือ" is often used when someone's walked into someone/something because they weren't looking where they were going.

Outstanding, Kitty.

I should have thought more about chess.

But I also never knew about that secondary definition meaning "turn."

Learn something new every day. Thanks much.

What a good person you are Mangkorn, never playing cards with Thais, anyway whose turn for idioms,ตาDavidไช่ไม้

Okay, here's another one: กิ้งก่าได้ทอง

I've seen this equated with an old English saw: Set a beggar on horseback and he'll ride to the devil.

But I don't have any idea of what that means, either. :o

Hi Mangkorn

กิ้งก่าได้ทอง - a bumptious show-off (Domnen-Sathienphong's dictionary)

กิ้งก่าได้ทอง - ชอบโอ้อวดในสิ่งที่ตนมีเพื่อให้ผู้อื่นรู้ เพื่อให้ผู้อื่นสนใจตน (To like to show-off about yourself so that others know and take an interest in you).

http://www.thaigoodview.com/library/studen...no44/page1.html

and it comes from a tale about a กิ้งก่า (chameleon/lizard) who was given some ทอง (gold) as a gift, but became too proud and arrogant as a result of having that little bit of gold.

I've pasted the full story below. (Sorry, too tired tonight to translate!)

กิ้งก่าได้ทอง เป็นสำนวน หมายความว่า ได้ดีแล้วทำตัวหยิ่งผยอง หรือได้ดีแล้วลืมคุณท่านผู้ที่ช่วยตนให้ได้รับความดีนั้น กิ้งก่าเป็นสัตว์เลื้อยคลายที่มักจะชูคอเด่นทำให้ดูเหมือนผยอง จึงนำมาใช้เปรียบคนที่มีท่าทางหยิ่งผยองว่าเหมือนกิ้งก่า

เรื่องราวของกิ้งก่าได้ทอง เป็นเรื่องชาดกในมโหสถชาดก ในมหานิบาตชาดก ซึ่งมีเรื่องกล่าวถึงกิ้งก่าตัวหนึ่งซึ่งเกาะอยู่บนซุ้มทวารนครมิถิลา กิ้งก่าตัวนี้จะลงมาหมอบบนพื้นและก้มหัวลงกระทำความเคารพพระเจ้าวิเทหราช พระเจ้าแผ่นดินเมืองมิถิลา เมื่อพระองค์เสด็จพระราชดำเนินผ่านประตูนั้น ในครั้งนั้นพระโพธิสัตว์เสวยพระชาติเป็นพระมโหสถ และเป็นบัณฑิตของพระเจ้าวิเทหราช จึงได้กราบทูลให้พระเจ้าวิเทหราชทรงทราบว่า กิ้งก่าลงมาถวายบังคมพระองค์ พระเจ้าวิเทหราชทรงพอพระราชหฤทัย จึงจะพระราชทานรางวัลแก่กิ้งก่า พระมโหสถได้ทูลขอพระราชทานเป็นอาหาร พระเจ้าวิเทหราชจึงพระราชทานเงินให้เจ้าพนักงานคนหนึ่งซื้อเนื้อให้กิ้งก่ากินทุกวัน

จนมาถึงวันหนึ่งเป็นวันอุโบสถเจ้าพนักงานหาเนื้อให้กิ้งก่าไม่ได้ จึงได้เอาทองซึ่งมีราคาเท่ากับค่าเนื้อมาผูกเชือกแล้วคล้องคอกิ้งก่าไว้ เมื่อกิ้งก่าได้ทองก็หยิ่งผยอง ทำท่าลำพอง แม้เวลาที่พระเจ้าวิเทหราชเสด็จมาก็ไม่ลงมาถวายบังคมอย่างเคย กลับชูคออย่างหยิ่งผยอง พระมโหสถได้กราบบังคมทูลให้พระเจ้าวิเทหราชทรงทราบว่า กิ้งก่าไม่ลงมาถวายบังคมเพราะมีทองแขวนคออยู่ทำให้สำคัญตัวผิดคิดว่าตนเป็นสัตว์พิเศษกว่าสัตว์อื่น พระเจ้าวิเทหราชจะทรงลงโทษกิ้งก่า แต่พระมโหสถได้ขอพระราชทานอภัยโทษไว้เพราะเห็นว่า กิ้งก่าเป็นผู้ที่ไร้สติปัญญาจึงเห็นผิดเป็นชอบไปอย่างนั้น พระเจ้าวิเทหราชก็พระราชทานอภัยโทษให้ ต่อมา ผู้ที่มีอาการหยิ่งผยอง หรือไม่รู้จักคุณผู้ที่มีคุณแก่ตน จึงเปรียบว่า เหมือนกิ้งก่าได้ทอง หรือเป็นกิ้งก่าได้ทอง

คางคกขึ้นวอ

เป็นสำนวน หมายความว่า คนที่ต่ำต้อยได้ขึ้นนั่งบนพาหนะซึ่งเป็นของเจ้านายชั้นสูง มีความที่ละไว้ว่า จึงแสดงท่าโอ้อวด หยิ่งผยอง เป็นคำเปรียบที่ใช้ว่าคนที่มีลักษณะเช่นนั้นให้เห็นว่า ให้มีความถ่อมตัว ไม่สุภาพ ไม่น่ารัก ไม่น่าคบ คางคก เป็นสัตว์ที่มีผิวหนังขรุขระ น่าเกลียด เนื้อนำมาเป็นอาหารไม่ได้ เพราะเชื่อกันว่ามีพิษ จึงนำมาเปรียบกับคนที่ต่ำศักดิ์ ไม่น่ายกย่อง หากมีโอกาสได้รับการอุ้มชูให้อยู่ในที่สูงก็คงจะลำพองใจ ทำท่าไม่น่ารัก

บางทีก็ใช้ว่า คางคกขึ้นวอ แมลงปอใส่ตุ้งติ้ง ซึ่งก็เป็นคำคล้องจองที่มีความหมายเหมือน คางคกขึ้นวอ สำนวนคางคกขึ้นวอ เป็นสำนวนที่แสดงให้เห็นวัฒนธรรมไทยที่ไม่นิยมคนที่อวดตัว คนที่ทำตัวเด่น หรือคนที่ไม่รู้จักเจียม ถือกันว่า คนที่มีลักษณะดังกล่าวนี้ไม่เป็นที่นิยมของสังคม ตรงกันข้าม คนที่อ่อนน้อมถ่อมตน คนที่ขี้อาย คนที่ไม่กล้าแสดงตน มักถือกันว่า เป็นคนดี คนสุภาพ เป็นที่นิยมในสังคมไทย คนดีจึงมักหลบอยู่ข้างหลัง ไม่กล้าแสดงตน ไม่กล้าอวดตน

ปัจจุบันคงต้องมีการสั่งสอนหรืออบรมให้เยาวชนมีความกล้า กล้าแสดง กล้าอวด แต่ต้องกล้าในทางที่ถูก กล้าในทางที่ไม่เป็นภัยแก่ตน กล้าแสดงความเป็นตัวของตน แต่ต้องมิใช่กล้าจนเกินขอบเขตของความพอดี และความงามตามวัฒนธรรมไทยด้วย

Source: วิชาการ.คอม

*edit - added paragraph breaks :o

Edited by siamesekitty

Great, thanks again kitty (and katana).

Without the context, I read it as "a chameleon can change his color to gold."

And I thought: yeah, so what? That's what chameleons do...

It is enlightening to learn the background to these sayings.

Cheers.

(I don't think it's necessary to translate passages like that, on this particular thread.)

Edited by mangkorn

I noticed the esteemed journalist Thepchai Yong referred to rural folks as: ตาสีตาสา -does anyone know the origins of this expression?

From "ภาษาไทยวันละคำ ฉบับรวมเล่ม" by กาญจนา นาคสกุล และคณะ

"ตาสีตาสา หมายถึง ชาวบ้าน คนธรรมดา หรือคนทั่วไปที่ไม่ใช่ข้าราชการ ไม่ใช่คนใหญ่คนโตหรือคนที่มียศถาบรรดาศักดิ์ คนเหล่านี้ไม่ได้รับความเกรงใจ และอาจถูกข่มเหงได้ง่าย เพราะมักจะพากันคิดว่าเป็นคนที่ไม่มีความรู้หรือไม่มีพวกพ้อง"

""ตาสีตาสา means villagers, regular folk, or people in general who are not government officials, who are not highly regarded people, or members of the titled nobility. The ตาสีตาสา are people who are not paid deference by anyone and are sometimes easily taken advantage of because people think of them has having no education and having no one to stand up for them."

Unfortunately, Khun Kanchana does not indicate the source of the phrase. I will look at "ภาษาไทย ๕ นาที" to see if the phrase is discussed in one of the books in that series.

Edited by DavidHouston

I don't know the exact origins either, but I'm guessing it might have to do with the phrase ประสีประสา. As ไม่รู้ประสีประสา basically means to be naive, clueless, innocent, I think ตาสีตาสา, which conjures up images of some old guy who doesn't know what's really going on in the modern world, might originate from a sort of play on that phrase.

heard one similar to the english saying 'to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut'

kee chang jap dtak-gadaen

ride an elephant to catch a grasshopper.

That reminds me of the joke I learnt from the Thai 101 blog:

Q: ขี่ช้างจับอะไร

A: (here, most Thais will excitedly answer "ตั๊กแตน", proud of their knowledge of Thai proverbs; that's when you hit them with the punchline).

Edited by ElZorro