Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

Perhaps Yoot or BambinA can confirm this one?

ถูกฝานมาแล้ว

A teacher I once had told me this is a Thai phrase meaning: "I've been ripped off before," or "Won't get fooled again," etc.

As one practical example, it could apply to the idea taking a tuk-tuk in กรุงเทพฯ - which always rip off farangs, compared to what they charge for Thais. (In spite of the fact that ripping off a customer is very rude and impoliteม to my way of thinking, I understand that this phrase shouldn't be said to the drivers; rather, it would be said to a third person when explaining why not to take a tuk-tuk, or to go back to any other place where you've been screwed before.)

The correct word is "ฟัน" - "to pick up a sharp object and to chop down with it" But in this case it means being ripped off.

อย่าไปนั่งรถตุ๊ก ตุ๊กเชียวนะ ผมถูกฟันมาแล้ว - don't even try to take a tuk tuk, I have been ripped off before.

ร้านอาหารร้านนี้ ราคาที่ตั้งไว้นี่กะฟันลูกค้าหัวแบะเลยนะนี่ -This restuarant set the price of foods as if they intend to rob their customers.

ฟันหัวแบะ - the head was choped and spread open. It's just a saying to mean being ripped off seriously.

Thanks Yoot. This now raises a couple questions in my mind as to some possible alternative origins, or perhaps just coincidences: ฝาน means "to slice," although maybe that only applies to food (but you can get hurt very badly slicing food, too); so, could some people think of it that way? I may be wrong, but I thought that's the way my former teacher meant it: as a deep slice, rather than getting chopped or hacked. Anyway, I also heard that ฟัน has another, vulgar sexual connotation, like the English word "to screw" - which is also used as a way to say rip off, or to get ripped off. Many languages have similar sexual-slang for getting cheated or treated badly, the reason for which is rather obvious.

Could either of those definitions for ฝาน or ฟัน be valid in this sense - that even some Thai people may have different concepts of the origin of that idiom - or are those simply curious linguistic coincidences?

It is kind of fun to think about - please excuse the pun on the word "fun" (ฟัน).

Cheers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm looking for a corresponding thai idiom/saying for

"there is enough in the world for every man's need, but never enough for a single man's greed"

thx!

There may be dozens of proverbs that address that point. If you're really interested, it would be best to take some time and study the exceedingly bountiful cornucopia of Thai sayings, to find the one that fits best, and then some... No better way to learn.

i'm looking for a corresponding thai idiom/saying for

"there is enough in the world for every man's need, but never enough for a single man's greed"

thx!

There is no Thai idioms for this quote from Mahatma Gandhi, but it has been translated to Thai as "ทรัพยากรในโลกนี้มีเพียงพอสำหรับทุกคน แต่ไม่พอสำหรับคนโลภเพียงคนเดียว"

Thanks Yoot. This now raises a couple questions in my mind as to some possible alternative origins, or perhaps just coincidences: ฝาน means "to slice," although maybe that only applies to food (but you can get hurt very badly slicing food, too); so, could some people think of it that way? I may be wrong, but I thought that's the way my former teacher meant it: as a deep slice, rather than getting chopped or hacked. Anyway, I also heard that ฟัน has another, vulgar sexual connotation, like the English word "to screw" - which is also used as a way to say rip off, or to get ripped off. Many languages have similar sexual-slang for getting cheated or treated badly, the reason for which is rather obvious.

Could either of those definitions for ฝาน or ฟัน be valid in this sense - that even some Thai people may have different concepts of the origin of that idiom - or are those simply curious linguistic coincidences?

It is kind of fun to think about - please excuse the pun on the word "fun" (ฟัน).

Cheers.

No, none of Thai people would use ฝาน in this meaning. You can get hurt very badly slicking food but not the same as getting hurt from being chopped on your head for sure. :o

>>> No, none of Thai people would use ??? in this meaning. You can get hurt very badly slicking food but not the same as getting hurt from being chopped on your head for sure. :o

<<<

You're a funny guy, Khun Yoot. And thanks very much: I won't make mistakes about it now, after reading your explanation. I don't know what we would do without all your fine help on this forum.

Here is one from today's Matichon Weekly in an article by Dr. Nithi Eewsriwong regarding the problems of the Muslims in Southern Thailand:

" . . . ชาวบ้านอยู่ระหว่างเขาควาย แต่ไม่ใช่เขาควายที่เป็นอันตรายทางกายเท่านั้น หากรวมถึงเขาควายของทางเลือกด้วย ไม่ว่าจะเลือกเข้าข้างฝ่ายใด ก็ล้วนมองไม่เห็นอนาคตที่สามารถกำหนดชะตาชีวิตตัวเองได้ทั้งสิ้น"

อยู่ระหว่างเขาควาย - to be between the horns of a water buffalo.

In English we use the term "to be skewered on the horns of a dilemma." I wonder if Dr. Nithi's usage is a common Thai phrase with an agricultural origin or a neologism adapted from the English. Any thoughts?

Here is one from today's Matichon Weekly in an article by Dr. Nithi Eewsriwong regarding the problems of the Muslims in Southern Thailand:

" . . . ชาวบ้านอยู่ระหว่างเขาควาย แต่ไม่ใช่เขาควายที่เป็นอันตรายทางกายเท่านั้น หากรวมถึงเขาควายของทางเลือกด้วย ไม่ว่าจะเลือกเข้าข้างฝ่ายใด ก็ล้วนมองไม่เห็นอนาคตที่สามารถกำหนดชะตาชีวิตตัวเองได้ทั้งสิ้น"

อยู่ระหว่างเขาควาย - to be between the horns of a water buffalo.

In English we use the term "to be skewered on the horns of a dilemma." I wonder if Dr. Nithi's usage is a common Thai phrase with an agricultural origin or a neologism adapted from the English. Any thoughts?

You are right. It's adapted from the English.

Back when the "war on drugs" was going on we where at the local market and a car pulled up and shot two people allegedly involved in drugs, apparently this was carried out by the police.

Anyway, my friend turns to me and says " shuak gai hi ling do" basicly

"Cut the chickens throat and let the monkeys watch"

ie They were being made an examlpe of.

Anyone esle know any thai sayings and their meanings?

Cheers

Yesterday I was telling one of my Thai friends about the saying, "เชื่อกไก่ให้ลิงดู" you featured above. In U.S. terms this is like sending Scooter Libby to jail for five years in order to instill fear into other civil servants to prevent them from lying to investigators in the future; in Thai terms it is preventing top members of Thai Rak Tha from participating in politics for five years in an attempt to scare political morality into the system.

My friend said that a similar saying is "เขียนเสือให้วัวกลัว" or "drawing a picture of a tiger to scare the cattle." This apparently means that a mere threat is sufficient to keep docile people in line; no real violence or coercion is necessary.

This got me to thinking about the 1970's when Communist China accused the United States as being a "paper tiger." In this context China was alleging that the U.S. talked tough but did not have the power to back up its beligerent tone. That is, China may have been comparing itself to a cow who in this case was not so easily frightened.

The question is whether there is a phrase or saying in Chinese similar to the Thai saying "เขียนเสือให้วัวกลัว"? And, does the Chinese saying use the metaphor "paper tiger"? After all, when one draws a tiger, one draws it on paper, no? Any thoughts?

I was told the other day that....

Naa neu jai suar young tur (face, body, heart of the tiger) from the bird+seksun song meant "she is 2 faced".

I then asked what does "Tur naa song" mean and he said "2 faced".

anyone confirm this?

Tur= he/she

Na = Face

Song= two

Tur Na Song= He/She is two faced =confirmed

I was told the other day that....

Naa neu jai suar young tur (face, body, heart of the tiger) from the bird+seksun song meant "she is 2 faced".

I then asked what does "Tur naa song" mean and he said "2 faced".

anyone confirm this?

Tur= he/she

Na = Face

Song= two

Tur Na Song= He/She is two faced =confirmed

Do you have this confirmed from a Thai speaker? It doesn't ring right to me.

I have heard หน้าไหว้หลังหลอก for 'two-faced', meaning 'The front gives you a wai, the back deceives you'.

The question is whether there is a phrase or saying in Chinese similar to the Thai saying "เขียนเสือให้วัวกลัว"? And, does the Chinese saying use the metaphor "paper tiger"? After all, when one draws a tiger, one draws it on paper, no? Any thoughts?[/size]

"paper tiger" is a literal English translation of the Chinese phrase 纸老虎, , meaning something which seems as threatening as a tiger, but is really harmless. The common usage is synonymous with the adjective toothless (ไม่มีเขี้ยวเล็บ in Thai saying), meaning ineffective. It's entered to the English vocabulary and adapted to Thai langauge "เสือกระดาษ".

The meaning of this saying is different to "เขียนเสือให้วัวกลัว" which you got the correct meaning already. :o

หญ้าปากคอก does this simply mean something that's easy to do?

หญ้าปากคอก means simple matter, a cinch, a down-to-earth question. Or, sometimes you just overlook something which is easier and try to do something which more difficult.

หญ้าปากคอก does this simply mean something that's easy to do?

หญ้าปากคอก means simple matter, a cinch, a down-to-earth question. Or, sometimes you just overlook something which is easier and try to do something which more difficult.

Thanks Yoot, I was told the phrase to describe Abhisit who lost 800,000 baht to a household staff member by writing his pin number on his card, yet he wants to run the country.

I was told the phrase comes from the opinion a cow cannot eat the grass right next to the cowshed but must stretch its neck to eat the grass further away.

I was told the phrase to describe Abhisit who lost 800,000 baht to a household staff member by writing his pin number on his card, yet he wants to run the country.

For this statement I would say in Thai like 'แค่ปัญหาหญ้าปากคอก อภิสิทธิ์ยังไม่มีปัญญาจะแก้ แต่ริจะมาแก้ปัญหาบ้านเมือง'

I was told the phrase comes from the opinion a cow cannot eat the grass right next to the cowshed but must stretch its neck to eat the grass further away.

The correct one is, most of the cows won't eat the grass right next to the cowshed, they always keep walking away from it and looking for grass from further way. The grass right next to the cowshed is easier for them to eat but they overlook it and do something much difficult like looking for grass further way.

I was told the phrase to describe Abhisit who lost 800,000 baht to a household staff member by writing his pin number on his card, yet he wants to run the country.

For this statement I would say in Thai like 'แค่ปัญหาหญ้าปากคอก อภิสิทธิ์ยังไม่มีปัญญาจะแก้ แต่ริจะมาแก้ปัญหาบ้านเมือง'

The correct one is, most of the cows won't eat the grass right next to the cowshed, they always keep walking away from it and looking for grass from further way. The grass right next to the cowshed is easier for them to eat but they overlook it and do something much difficult like looking for grass further way.

Is the phrase about cows and grass similar in meaning to the English, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"? According to the "New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy" the proverb means that "people are never satisfied with their own situation; they always think others have it better." Does the same meaning carry in the Thai phrase?

Is the phrase about cows and grass similar in meaning to the English, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"? According to the "New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy" the proverb means that "people are never satisfied with their own situation; they always think others have it better." Does the same meaning carry in the Thai phrase?

David,

From the explanation about หญ้าปากคอก, the point is "the grass right next to the cowshed". It's the simple matter, something which is easy to eat for cow.

For this saying "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence", from what I've read they said it's equivalent to Thai idiom "ใกล้เกลือกินด่าง" (to overlook one's near and good thing.)

David,

From the explanation about หญ้าปากคอก, the point is "the grass right next to the cowshed". It's the simple matter, something which is easy to eat for cow.

For this saying "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence", from what I've read they said it's equivalent to Thai idiom "ใกล้เกลือกินด่าง" (to overlook one's near and good thing.)

What is "ด่าง" and can it be used like "เกลือ"? Do Thai people use "ด่าง" for anything to be eaten?

Are you familiar with the site http://www.siamtower.com/supasit/ ? Here is what that site says about your "ใกล้เกลือกินด่าง":

ใกล้เกลือกินด่าง : หมายความว่า สิ่งที่หาได้ง่ายหรืออยู่ใกล้ไม่เอา กลับไปเอาสิ่งที่อยู่ไกลหรือหายากเปรียบได้ว่าเกลือหาง่ายกว่าด่าง

ความหมายอีกทางหนึ่งหมายถึงว่าอยู่ใกล้กับของดีแท้ ๆ แต่ไม่ได้รับเพราะกลับไปคว้าเอาของที่ดี หรือมีราคาด้อยกว่าคือด่างซึ่งมีรสกร่อยหรืออ่อนเค็มกว่า

Proverbs and sayings tell us such wonderful things about the culture!

Just read the thread. Below is a collection of some which I'd like to comment:

claire: "วันนี้ผมสั่นกระโปรก"

Comment: You meant to say "กระโปก", not "กระโปรก"

-Would it be appropriate to place a ๆ following the first มาก or it doesn't matter? Cheers, บุญมี

-mai ya-mok symbol ( ๆ ) to be used! Anyone care to respond? , RDN

-For what it's worth, I would use the yamok here. If a justification is needed, it's intensification by reduplication. However, I've never seen any rules for when not to use yamok.

-"boy" บ่อย and in others as "boy boy" บ่อย ๆ.

Comment: On the subject of using yamok. It is really used both ways. Sometimes with and sometimes without the yamok. I'd side with the Thai teacher about the tendency to use it more than not.

mangkorn: "ด่าง means different."

Comment: ด่าง actually means alkalide, as comparing between acid, alkalide and salt.

It is not eaten in Thailand, as far as I know. The only use of the word ด่าง in the kitchen is "ด่างทับทิม" ( Potassium Permanganate ) which of course is used for cleaning to get rid of germs, etc.

Thus the use is as defined by DavidHouston's posting as:

"ใกล้เกลือกินด่าง : หมายความว่า สิ่งที่หาได้ง่ายหรืออยู่ใกล้ไม่เอา กลับไปเอาสิ่งที่อยู่ไกลหรือหายากเปรียบได้ว่าเกลือหาง่ายกว่าด่าง

ความหมายอีกทางหนึ่งหมายถึงว่าอยู่ใกล้กับของดีแท้ ๆ แต่ไม่ได้รับเพราะกลับไปคว้าเอาของที่ดี หรือมีราคาด้อยกว่าคือด่างซึ่งมีรสกร่อยหรืออ่อนเค็มกว่า"

This maybe translated as:

"near salt, eat alkalide (or Potassium Permanganate). Meaning rejecting something superior/nearby (and useful as salt), but rather eat something inferior (or something no one eats, like alkalide. )

For mangkorn, the word which means "different" is ต่าง (start with a ต tor-tao, instead of the ด dor-dek)

mangkorn: “เข้าเมืองคาหลิ่วต้องหลิ่วตาตาม” “ฟนทั่งให้เป็นเข็ม”

Comment: เข้าเมือง”ตา” (ตา beginning with tor-tao, not คา which begins with kor-kwai) หลิ่วต้องหลิ่วตาตาม

Actually the words ”ตาหลิ่ว” and ” หลิ่วตา” are a smart play of words. They are the reverse of one another, but with totally different meanings.

”ตาหลิ่ว” is “a person called Liew”, or possibly Mr. Squint-eyed, whereas ”หลิ่วตา” means to squint your eye.

Meaning: When you enter the city of the guy called Liew (or Mr. Squint-eyed), you squint your eye too.

This was probably taken from the proverb: “”When in Rome, do like the Romans.”