Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

I was wondering if "ความรักสามารถเกิดขึ้นได้จากคำว่าเพื่อน" is a saying in Thai and if so what is the English equivalent. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

"ความรักสามารถเกิดขึ้นได้จากคำว่าเพื่อน" Actually not a real Thai saying. But some people believe so because there are many examples of friends who later become lovers.

As a Thai, I have heard this a lot - "ความรักเกิดจากความสงสาร". This also happens a lot in Thai society. As many Thais have soft and gentle mind so when we feel sorry or sad with someone to the things that happened to him or her, you know, one day later that feeling surprisingly turns to love!

I have no English proverb to compare but I think you can just say "kwam rak sa mart kert kuen dai jak kam wa phuen" as direct English "Love can start from friends."

I saw this expression the other day เออออห่อหมก to follow someone without question, blindly.

เออออ means to consent to, accept, whilst the literal meaning of่ ห่อหมก is chopped up fish or chicken steamed in a banana leaf, so guessing here, perhaps it because you're not seeing what you're buying, you're taking it purely on trust.

Lovely vowels in that one, not to mention how cool เออออ looks in writing. :o

Had to read it twice before realizing it ought to be two long vowels, something like oe[LM] aw[LM].

I heard this one the other day, the accuser thought he had the defendant nailed--วัวพันหลัก the cow is tied to the post, it cannot escape. One has no way out, the evidence is overwhelming, one is truly nabbed, whatever one tries to do.

Dear all

one saying that I heard in Thai about elephants and ants was translated to me as When the elephants fight, the ants get trampled.

literal translation when the powerful in the community have a conflict the poor people suffer.

appropiate at the moment I believe

I am sorry I don't know the wording in Thai

I saw this expression the other day เออออห่อหมก to follow someone without question, blindly.

เออออ means to consent to, accept, whilst the literal meaning of่ ห่อหมก is chopped up fish or chicken steamed in a banana leaf, so guessing here, perhaps it because you're not seeing what you're buying, you're taking it purely on trust.

It might be clear to you if you read this explanation from "สนุกกับสุภาษิตคำพังเพย" by นิคม เขาลาด.

It's a pretty long explanation, so, I will cut only some parts of it to show you.

- เคยได้ยินคำกล่าวที่ว่า "ห่อหมกกับใบตองเป็นของคู่กัน" ไหมครับ? นั่นแหละ ห่อหมกกับใบตองมันไปด้วยกันได้ดี และถ้าขาดอย่างใดอย่างหนึ่ง ก็จะไม่ใช่ห่อหมกที่ดีตามแบบฉบับ หยั่งที่โบราณบอกให้คู่หนุ่มสาวตกลงกันซะ หรือยินยอมกันไปซะก็ว่า "เป็นห่อหมกกับใบตองกันไปซะ" น่ะครับ

ห่อหมกกับใบตองคือสิ่งที่ไปด้วยกันได้ดีหรือถูกต้องคล้องกันดี ก็เท่ากับว่าเป็นพวกเดียวกันไป หรือเห็นคล้องต้องกันไปโดยไม่ฝืนกัน ความสอดคล้องต้องกันของห่อหมกกับใบตองก็เลยเป็นภาพความหมายว่า "เออออ" หยั่งว่า แล้วก็นี่แหละ ที่เกิดสำนวนขึ้นมาว่า "เออออห่อหมก" หละ ซึ่งถ้าจะผูกความเต็มให้เห็นความชัดว่า "เออออเหมือนห่อหมกกับใบตอง" แล้วคงไม่น่าฉงนในถ้อยคำหรอกนะ

ด้วยเหตุนี้แหละครับ "เออออห่อหมก" จึงมีความหมายที่ดีและหนักแน่นกว่า "เออออ" เฉย ๆ ก็ความหมายที่ว่า "เห็นพ้องต้องกัน" หรือ "เห็นดีเห็นงามไปด้วยกัน"หละครับ ถ้าจะว่าไปแล้ว "เออออ" ก็คือเห็นดีด้วย หรือตกลงใจด้วย แต่ก็ออกจะเป็นอาการเห็นดีหรือตกลงใจที่ไม่กล้าขัดใจหรือแก้ความรำคาญมากกว่า หยั่ง "เออ ๆ ออ ๆ " ในความหมายทำนองว่าพยักหน้าไปงั้น ๆ น่ะครับ

ไม่เหมือน "เออออห่อหมก" ที่มีคำว่า "ห่อหมก" ซึ่งมาจาก "ห่อหมกกับใบตอง" ผูกเข้าไว้ด้วย จึงเป็นสำนวนที่เน้นความหมายว่า "เห็นดีด้วยอย่างยิ่ง" หรือ "เห็นพ้องต้องกันเป็นอย่างดี"

แต่โดยทั่วไปแล้ว ผู้ที่ใช้สำนวนแม้จะใช้ว่า "เออออห่อหมก" ก็ไม่ได้มุ่งเอาความหนักแน่นของความหมายดังเช่นที่มาของคำว่า "ห่อหมก" หรอกครับ เพราะมักใช้เพื่อความคล้องจองของสำนวนซะส่วนมาก

name='ausian' date='2009-03-21 15:26:29' post='2610148'

Dear all

one saying that I heard in Thai about elephants and ants was translated to me as When the elephants fight, the ants get trampled.

literal translation when the powerful in the community have a conflict the poor people suffer.

appropiate at the moment I believe

I am sorry I don't know the wording in Thai

Actually it's not ants, it is หญ้าแพรก (Cynodon dactylon) which used as a mataphor means "common people".

The saying is "ช้างสารชนกัน หญ้าแพรกก็แหลกลาญ"

Edited by yoot

Can anybody tell me how to write "Money can't buy happiness" (preferably in Thai script) in Thai? Thanks.

Is this correct?

เงิน ไม่ สามารถ ซื้อ ความสุข

ngern mâi săa-mâat séu kwaam sòok

Money not be able to buy happiness/pleasure.

I think that if you use สามารถ, you will have to add ได้ to the end so เงิน ไม่ สามารถ ซื้อ ความสุข ได้, but still not sure if will translate ok or not

It might be clear to you if you read this explanation from "สนุกกับสุภาษิตคำพังเพย" by นิคม เขาลาด.

It's a pretty long explanation, so, I will cut only some parts of it to show you.

- เคยได้ยินคำกล่าวที่ว่า "ห่อหมกกับใบตองเป็นของคู่กัน" ไหมครับ? นั่นแหละ ห่อหมกกับใบตองมันไปด้วยกันได้ดี และถ้าขาดอย่างใดอย่างหนึ่ง ก็จะไม่ใช่ห่อหมกที่ดีตามแบบฉบับ หยั่งที่โบราณบอกให้คู่หนุ่มสาวตกลงกันซะ หรือยินยอมกันไปซะก็ว่า "เป็นห่อหมกกับใบตองกันไปซะ" น่ะครับ

ห่อหมกกับใบตองคือสิ่งที่ไปด้วยกันได้ดีหรือถูกต้องคล้องกันดี ก็เท่ากับว่าเป็นพวกเดียวกันไป หรือเห็นคล้องต้องกันไปโดยไม่ฝืนกัน ความสอดคล้องต้องกันของห่อหมกกับใบตองก็เลยเป็นภาพความหมายว่า "เออออ" หยั่งว่า แล้วก็นี่แหละ ที่เกิดสำนวนขึ้นมาว่า "เออออห่อหมก" หละ ซึ่งถ้าจะผูกความเต็มให้เห็นความชัดว่า "เออออเหมือนห่อหมกกับใบตอง" แล้วคงไม่น่าฉงนในถ้อยคำหรอกนะ

ด้วยเหตุนี้แหละครับ "เออออห่อหมก" จึงมีความหมายที่ดีและหนักแน่นกว่า "เออออ" เฉย ๆ ก็ความหมายที่ว่า "เห็นพ้องต้องกัน" หรือ "เห็นดีเห็นงามไปด้วยกัน"หละครับ ถ้าจะว่าไปแล้ว "เออออ" ก็คือเห็นดีด้วย หรือตกลงใจด้วย แต่ก็ออกจะเป็นอาการเห็นดีหรือตกลงใจที่ไม่กล้าขัดใจหรือแก้ความรำคาญมากกว่า หยั่ง "เออ ๆ ออ ๆ " ในความหมายทำนองว่าพยักหน้าไปงั้น ๆ น่ะครับ

ไม่เหมือน "เออออห่อหมก" ที่มีคำว่า "ห่อหมก" ซึ่งมาจาก "ห่อหมกกับใบตอง" ผูกเข้าไว้ด้วย จึงเป็นสำนวนที่เน้นความหมายว่า "เห็นดีด้วยอย่างยิ่ง" หรือ "เห็นพ้องต้องกันเป็นอย่างดี"

แต่โดยทั่วไปแล้ว ผู้ที่ใช้สำนวนแม้จะใช้ว่า "เออออห่อหมก" ก็ไม่ได้มุ่งเอาความหนักแน่นของความหมายดังเช่นที่มาของคำว่า "ห่อหมก" หรอกครับ เพราะมักใช้เพื่อความคล้องจองของสำนวนซะส่วนมาก

Thanks for that detailed explanation Yoot, a very useful clarification, I saw another idiom yesterday, meaning a crisis or critical time-หน้าสิ่วหน้าขวาน the face(or side?) of the chisel and axe,could it be they're sharp and can easily hurt?

I saw another idiom yesterday, meaning a crisis or critical time-หน้าสิ่วหน้าขวาน the face(or side?) of the chisel and axe,could it be they're sharp and can easily hurt?

In the same book as the previous post, the explanation of this saying as follow;

"หน้าสิ่วหน้าขวาน" คำพังเพยสำนวนนี้มีความหมายว่า "อยู่ในทิศทางหรือระยะที่เป็นอันตราย" หรือ "อยู่ในสถานการณ์ที่คับขันอันตราย" ทำนองเดียวกับอยู่ภายใต้ปากเหยี่ยวปากกา คือในเงื้อมมือของอันตรายนั่นแหละ

ขอว่าถึงลักษณะตรงตัว "หน้าสิ่วหน้าขวาน" ที่ว่า อยู่ในทิศทางหรือระยะที่เป็นอันตรายหน่อยก่อนว่า ไม่ใช่ทิศทางหรือระยะที่อีกคนเขาสามารถใช้ขวานจาม หรือเอาสิ่วเฉาะหัวได้นะครับ หากแต่เป็นว่า อยู่ข้างหน้าสิ่วหรือขวานที่เขากำลังใช้งาน หยั่งขวานที่เขากำลังใช้ผ่าฟืนหรือถากไม้นะครับ ถ้าใครอยู่ตรงข้างหน้าก็จะโดนสะเก็ดไม้กระเด็นใส่ ดีไม่ดีตัวขวานก็อาจลื่นแฉลบ หรือหลุดออกจากด้ามมาโดนเข้าให้ และสิ่วก็เช่นกัน

นี่แหละ ที่เขาเอามาเปรียบเปรยว่า อยู่ในเวลาหรือเหตุการณ์อันตราย หรือตกอยู่ในภัยอันตราย "ยามหน้าสิ่วหน้าขวาน" ก็คือ "เวลาคับขันอันตราย"

• 2 weeks later...

อย่าเสี้ยมเขาควายให้ชนกัน - yàa sîam kăo kwaai hâi chon gan

Don't egg fools on.

• อย่า yàa do not, don't, never
  • เสี้ยม sîam sharpen, point; instigate, abet, arouse; pyramidal, conical
  • เขา kăo antlers; animal horns; hill, mountain; he, she, him, her, they, them
  • ควาย kwaai buffalo, carabao; fool, simpleton, dunce
  • ให้ hâi let, permit, allow, consent to; get someone to do something; give, offer to
  • ชน chon collide with, hit, bump against, strike, crash, run into, butt; complete, get close to, near; fight, battle, knock against, struggle, encounter, clash with, oppose people,
  • กัน gan together, jointly; one another, each other; keep out, prevent, set aside, resist, obstruct

• 4 weeks later...

What does "หลังโชคร้ายผ่านไปโชคดีก็จะตามมา" mean in English? I know it has something to do with "luck" but I can't figure out the English saying. Does anyone have any ideas?

What does "หลังโชคร้ายผ่านไปโชคดีก็จะตามมา" mean in English? I know it has something to do with "luck" but I can't figure out the English saying. Does anyone have any ideas?

The literal translation of that is, "After bad luck has passed, good luck will come."

The literal translation of that is, "After bad luck has passed, good luck will come."

How about, in more colloquial English, "Every dark cloud has a silver lining". The Thai phrase emphasizes the temporal follow-on aspects; the English phrase emphasizes the inherent goodness nature. However, I think the colloquial phrase sounds better.

• 3 weeks later...

ผ้าขี้ริ้วห่อทอง - páa khée rĩu hạw thawng - literally: rag wraps gold, implying a person who dresses badly but is in fact well-off; someone who is wealthy but hides the fact, does not advertise their wealth

ผ้าขี้ริ้วห่อทอง - páa khée rĩu hạw thawng - literally: rag wraps gold, implying a person who dresses badly but is in fact well-off; someone who is wealthy but hides the fact, does not advertise their wealth

Good one, Rick. I think it may often have more metaphorical connotations (e.g., "you can't judge a book by its cover.")

Not sure of the provenance of this, but a subtitled film featured a woman saying "No money, no honey", which was rendered as เงินหมด หมดเวลา "ngern mọt, mọt weh-la" money finished, finished time.

Rather poetic.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across an interesting expression the other day. I innocently asked some fellow travelers if they had seen the baby sun bear at the resort. Hen Mee Mai?

This resulted in a lot of friendly laughter. It was explained to me later the expression is cheekily used at times between Thais with a hidden meaning. The H and M swap places.

Is someone please able to give me the Thai script for something to indicate the phrase

My family comes before everything

or

My wife and children come before all other things

That is what I am trying to illustrate for tattoo but am not too poetic so any more suitable suggestions would be cool

^^laphroaig,

The common sign on Thai building sites meaning "Safety above all" or "Safety first" is "bplaawt-bpai wai gawn", so perhaps if you replace "safety" with "family", you might get something near to what you want. In Thai script, this would read: "ครอบครัวไว้ก่อน".

I must stress I am not a native Thai, and I have no idea whether this is an appropriate phrase. Please check with a Thai before you have any permanent perforations made to your person.

^^laphroaig,

The common sign on Thai building sites meaning "Safety above all" or "Safety first" is "bplaawt-bpai wai gawn", so perhaps if you replace "safety" with "family", you might get something near to what you want. In Thai script, this would read: "ครอบครัวไว้ก่อน".

Interesting. Actually "ครอบครัวไว้ก่อน" has the opposite meaning as you want. It means "family comes later". :)

For example;

ครอบครัวไว้ก่อน สนใจแต่เรื่องงานเท่านั้น - (I'm) interested in my job only, family comes later.

My family comes before everything - ครอบครัวต้องมาก่อน or ครอบครัวต้องมาก่อนทุกสิ่งทุกอย่าง.

Not sure of the provenance of this, but a subtitled film featured a woman saying "No money, no honey", which was rendered as เงินหมด หมดเวลา "ngern mọt, mọt weh-la" money finished, finished time.

Rather poetic.... :)

There is a saying in Thai for "No money, no honey", but often said by men, this saying is "เงินจรนางจาก" or "เงินจากนางจร".

^^

yoot

Can you clarify this for me? From what you say, it seems that the phrase ไว้ก่อน can mean two completely different things depending on context.

On the one hand: ครอบครัวไว้ก่อน" means "family comes later"

On the other, the SafetyFirstThai organisation calls itself สมาคมปลอดภัยไว้ก่อน

Rick,

If I put it this way, would you understand it clearly?

ปลอดภัยไว้(keep it safety) ก่อน (first)

ครอบครัว(family) ไว้ก่อน(later)

Domnern-Sathienpong has the following phrases which include "ไว้ก่อน"

ติดไว้ก่อน – to put on hold for a while

ปลอดภัยไว้ก่อน – safety first

เผื่อไว้ก่อน – tentative; in advance, just in case

ขออุบไว้ก่อน – not just now

I won an argument yesterday by using Thai logic, circulus in probando, non-sequiturs and false assumptions, and the Thai whom I had cornered looked at me and said "เจ้าเล่ห์".

It's in the dictionary as meaning "tricky, cunning, or sly", so perhaps doesn't fully qualify as a saying. It wasn't said in a hostile way, more like an acknowledgement of "OK, ya got me there."

• 4 weeks later...

looks like no one has posted here for a while so i might kick start it again :) could anyone give me a translation for these (preferably thai script)

"so whats in the news"? (when someone is reading a paper or watching t.v)

"what have you been up to since i last saw you?"

cheers.