Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will only stop when tourists stop renting jet skis!!!

Tourist Authority of Thailand should issue warning to all tourists - this bovine scatology has been going on for far too long.:lol:

There are reports online that TAT would not take complaints about jet skis and people have phoned them and been advised call the tourist police Pattaya .

The Tourist Police Pattaya at one stage looked very much part of the problem and a couple of officers were taken off the beach.

This scam looks like it is very much controlled by people that have a lot of Authority and that is why these thugs on the beach laugh and are allowed to get away with these crimes.

Maybe if some group like DSI decided to be fully investigate this and start charging people including dismissal of any law enforcement officials or politicians involved in this it may help.

The scams have never stopped on Pattaya beach they have leader a big thai man who hangs out opposite Pattaya walk and gets inside info and knows what days are not ok to scam.

There is a big group effort doing these scams and it is not unusual to see the same people turning up at each location a scam is going on.

THe recent lot that were arrested was good to see as they had been involved in hundreds of scams but until the beach is cleaned up from this scum it will never be a good beach.

12 months ago the scammers were using steel pegs and knives to scare and threaten people that seems to have slowed down but the mafia thugs still still are very agressive and you will see them try and retain the tourists on the beach for hours if they have to just to frighten people into paying up.

As one of the scammers said a while back " we own the Police" and that is probably the only true words they have ever said.

Edited by saintofsilence

Switzerland officially warns tourists with the following warning (which probably nobody ever reads....):

From several seaside resorts such as Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui it has become known that tourists renting jet ski are made responsible for damages that they have not caused. To enforce their claims some jet ski owners do not refrain from violence. Use caution when renting jet skis, the same caution should be applied for rental cars.

The police at Soi 9 are fed up with the jet ski cases but since their rules are that it is a civil case for property damage unless threats are truly provable or personal injury is evident, either party can make a report for damage claims but they are normally requested to take it all to City Hall if no agreement can be reached between the parties. Late afternoon/early evening when City Hall is closed is thus an ideal time for the scammers.

The real Foreign Police Volunteers have strict instructions not to be involved as abuse and threats from both sides have occurred in the past as well as the risk of being thought to be getting remuneration from any party - and there are cases of dismissal for those who have been involved in any way. City Hall have recruited hundreds of their own police recently but powers of arrest and reporting etc. still lie with Soi 9 station and it remains to be seen if any City Hall officer patrolling helps in all this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best laugh I've had all day.

The police at Soi 9 are fed up with the jet ski cases but since their rules are that it is a civil case for property damage unless threats are truly provable or personal injury is evident, either party can make a report for damage claims but they are normally requested to take it all to City Hall if no agreement can be reached between the parties. Late afternoon/early evening when City Hall is closed is thus an ideal time for the scammers.

The real Foreign Police Volunteers have strict instructions not to be involved as abuse and threats from both sides have occurred in the past as well as the risk of being thought to be getting remuneration from any party - and there are cases of dismissal for those who have been involved in any way. City Hall have recruited hundreds of their own police recently but powers of arrest and reporting etc. still lie with Soi 9 station and it remains to be seen if any City Hall officer patrolling helps in all this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best laugh I've had all day.

The police LOVE this scam.

Some of the police own the jet skis I am told.

Heck, even the Mayor admitted the police can't be trusted and would not be involved in the solution.

Looks like KOH Samui have the same problems

Koh Samui: KOH SAMUI JET SKI SCAM

Hi !

I just got back from a trip to Koh Samui and was unfortunately involved in a JET SKI Scam.

Me and 5 of my friends rented jet skis and paid about 850 baht for 30 mins, little did we know what we were getting into.

In the middle of the ocean, while the jet skis were stationary they barely touched each other due to a wave. I dont think that the touch was even enough to cause a scratch.

Anyways, we get back to the beach and the "boys" inspect the Jet skis and say we have damaged one of them and points to a SCRATCH on one of the jet skis. We feel that it may have been caused by us and offer to pay 1000 odd baht.

At this point the "boys" call the owner who comes and starts acting really angry. Considering there were 6 of us we also get all angry and an argument starts.

At one point in the argument the Boss of the jet ski place picked up a beer bottle and almost broke it on my head, he was looking at another man with him and asking him if he should. I also took an aggresive stance and i think that is the only thing which prevented them from getting violent.

I called the Police but guess what - THEY NEVER SHOWED UP.

I called up AMARI, Koh Samui where we were staying and they said they could not do anything to help and just advised us to try and get the jet ski people with us to the hotel for our safety.

The jet ski company is on CHAWENG BEACH, right in front of this place called THE LIBRARY.

Finally we talk our way out and ask him to come to the hotel.

He comes to the hotel after an hour and demands 20000 Baht !!!!

We talk to the manager of the hotel who tries to reason with him and he gives us a discount of 2000 Baht but still insists on 18000 baht.

When we refuse to pay he wants us to go with him to the police.

At this point we ask for the General Manager of Amari Hotel being sure that a senior person would be able to do something.

He advises us not to go to the police in ANY circumstance as that would make things more expensive with even the police demanding Money, also the JET SKI owner can file a case on the basis of the agreement he made us sign and the police would ask for our passports and we would not be allowed to leave the country till we somehow pay.

We asked what would happen if we refused to pay and all he said was that it would get VERY nasty and even the hotel would not be able to help. Basically the JET SKI Owner would get lots of local boys and things would get very violent.

Basically we were told to PAY and finish this mess.

Looking at NO other possibility, we asked the general manager to get a local person to help negotiate, he got his F&B manager who was from KOH SAMUI and he brokered a deal for 15000 BAHT

Imagine paying 15000 BAHT for a scratch which also i think we didnt cause BUT HAD TO PAY.

In short NEVER EVER RENT A JET SKI IN THAILAND. Specially the one on CHAWENG BEACH in front of THE LIBRARY.

And imagine threatening tourists with breaking beer bottles on their head.

The Police, Government, Local People are all involved.

EVERYONE should STOP VISITING THAILAND completely.

I would NEVER go there again.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293918-c168156/Koh-Samui:Thailand:Koh.Samui.Jet.Ski.Scam.html

A report on Pattaya Future Facebook Page

A couple of days ago while walking past soi 11 I saw a police office running very fast onto the beach where the scams have been going on , for once I thought action at last . The Policeman knocked the man to the ground in an act of great courage but then I looked a bit closer to see this man was just a feeble squid seller who is trying to survive so well done Pattaya Police station great show for the Tourists and to cap this off if the courageous police man had just glimpsed a bit further to his left he would have noticed a jet ski scam going on and tourists actually needing some help.

http://www.facebook.com/PattayaFuture :D

It's amazing that only two people are posting to the facebook page about the jetski extortion / robberies. Every Pattaya tourist should either add a post about what they have seen, or click "like" for the two trying to keep it in the light. Friending Thailand Jet-Ski Scams on face book would help get the word out as well.

Report in Lonely Planet Koh Larn Scam

scam Jet ski

I was scammed me with the Jet-ski on it-Kho Larn to tawen beach (Pattaya) there in 2007 = 25,000 baht my request,

I said that I can withdraw only 15,000 baht since I am no longer a Jet-ski. (disgust and yet I love it,

I calculate that I will have at least 5 times every year its been 5 years since I go to the they-Kho Larn tawen to beach

almost every day at 800 baht and 35 minutes = 800 * 5 = 4000 * baht per 5 years = 20,000 baht

{They are not the boss of trade !!!})

August 2011 and this year (two English are scam Jet ski in the ILS Kho Larn, tawen beach, under my eyes

they ask or what I find the police station because because the Thais began to get excited

at least 20 around the English and what I saw this one day; immagine how much they make per day??)

to go tawen beach you decender street walking street and take the boat from 11am to 13 hours

there goes directly

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2117601

Ongoing Jet Ski scam Report Lonely Planet

As with most problems like this that flare up and cause embarrassment or damage to the tourist industry, the tried and true response by authorities is to do a song and dance and pretend to tackle the problem. Hence the insurance law. These days, the jet ski scam is still happening in Phuket, the operator "JJ" who initially drew attention to the problem (was featured in a British doc pulling a gun on British marines he was accusing/extorting) is still operating his scam in the wide open there. The insurance law isn't being enforced there any more. It won't be again until something else happens to draw attention to the problem again. The fact that the famous JJ is still scamming there says a lot: someone powerful is behind it, and even the authorities and the tourism industry are not allowed to do anything about it, even if it causes a media sensation and threatens to damage the tourism industry.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2048184

Bangkok and Beyond

Eddy says:

September 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Today, 30th Sept 2011, at 5pm witnessed the same Jet Ski scam taking place on Pattaya Beach. This was near Mike Shopping Mall, opposite Beach Road soi 12.

A group of Indian tourists were targeted this evening. One Jet Ski was accused of being damaged. Of course it was there before, this scam occurs every single day with the same gang of Jet Ski operators. Any intervention by passers by would be met with threats, and then violence. There is nothing you can do to help these guys. The four Indian tourists were literally begging, pleading, and were in a pretty bad state. The gang of Thai’s nearby that were part of the scam were laughing, drinking beer, playing with their kids (who were also asking passers by if they wanted to rent a Jet Ski) and pointing at their marks mocking them.

I see that last week (reported 24th Sept 2011 on PattayaOne website, Pattaya Mail website, and other online Pattaya news sites) that five Jet Ski scammers were arrested for attempting to extort a couple of Saudi Arabia tourists, and followed the tourists to the Marriott Resort & Spa in Pattaya. The police were called, arrests were made.

So, literally a few days later, the scams are continuing on Beach Road. Nothing has changed! NOTHING! The same scammers I’ve seen for months and months are exorting sums of money any between 40,000 to 80,000 baht.

Also closer to Walking Street entrance on Beach Road, opposite soi 13/4 and near there, the same gang of Thai scammers are there every day. They’re also continuing to extort tourists.

They often target the marks around 5pm-5:30pm, as it’s getting dark. There are more of the gangs keeping an eye on people taking photos than I’ve seen before. These gangs are well organised, in that they have around 10 Thai’s ready waiting to add to the threats if there extortion demands are not met.

So, arrests of Thai Jet Ski scammers has had absolutely no impact whatsoever on them continuing ‘business as usual’. It’s disgraceful. Same thugs operating for months and months, and none of them locked up and told not to return. Welcome to Pattaya.

I wonder if we’ll see the international Press taking an interest in this. All they have to do is turn up on any day on the Beach Road, outside Mike Shopping Mall, Royal Garden Plaza, or near to the entrance to Walking Street. Around 5pm, they can witness extortion, threats to tourists, the Jet Ski scam, and maybe if enough people talk about it and report it around the world, it may even stop. Mind you, it has been going for years, and the same criminals are still operating. To get them started, all they need to Google is Pattaya Jet Ski Scam. There’s even a few video clips on YouTube of the scam unfolding.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5p1HQk/www.bangkokbeyond.com/blog/pattaya-jet-ski-scam

This needs taking to a higher authority,obviously the local authorities are aware of it it and let it continue. A letter to the present PM,foreign minister,individual foreign ministers of individual countries,who have tourists from their countries being exposed to these thugs will bring attention to these scams.

Thanyarat Ajariyachai, chairwoman of the Senate’s Tourism Committee, is slamming local government over lack of control of Pattaya Beach.

At a July 20 hearing at the Dusit Thani Hotel, Thanyarat Ajariyachai said bookings at five- and three-star hotels in Pattaya have declined due to Pattaya Beach’s ongoing erosion problem, aging facilities and scams by beach vendors.

Pattaya officials are entirely responsible for maintaining order and managing Pattaya Beach, but a lack of any law enforcement is obvious, she said. She said she plans to compile the result of her findings and feedback from the meeting into a report for the new government.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/head-of-senate-tourism-panel-slams-poor-city-management-of-pattaya-beach-5209?ref=pmci

Letters to The Senate Tourism Panel may also help.

not sure of the postal address or email address but they need to know nothing has changed.

Well at least I managed my friends not to rent jetskis in Pattaya so they lost a few customers.

But if they earn 40-50k daily on scams no wonder the Police is involved and nothing happens. This will go on forever for sure.

I Tried to phone the tourist police to report the robbery but......they hung up.

If you ask Noam Chomsky he will tell you that "language shapes our perception of reality." I think it is interesting that you are using the word "robbery" instead of "scam." In fact, that is what it is: ROBBERY. It borders on ARMED ROBBERY.

Thailand will never get to where it wants to be until it decides to stop this sort of crap!

I Tried to phone the tourist police to report the robbery but......they hung up.

If you ask Noam Chomsky he will tell you that "language shapes our perception of reality." I think it is interesting that you are using the word "robbery" instead of "scam." In fact, that is what it is: ROBBERY. It borders on ARMED ROBBERY.

Thailand will never get to where it wants to be until it decides to stop this sort of crap!

Robbery is the correct word a scam is to soft and when these robberies also include photo manipulation used as evidence to extort money that should be a higher crime including fraud.

Yes they are robbery's and not just for the cash in your wallet either.

Large sums of money, threats of violence, intimidation and actual physical violence.

All in broad daylight in full view of all on the beach, many many many times every day 7/365

How is this possible?

Think about it.

Edited by Rimmer