New Thai Immigration Commissioner From October 1, 2011

Re-entry permit

What is the purpose of the reentry permit? For individuals with a one year visa extension, why not let them leave and reenter the country at will without needing to pay for the permit?

Annual extensions in general

Worse than that, while the information is available, it is not made clear

that to exit Thailand with a one year retirement visa

but without a reentry permit will cause the retirement visa to be canceled.

That nearly happened to me and others.

//Summary: Suggestion to add information to the annual extension stamp to indicate necessity of re-entry permit before travelling abroad in order to keep the extension alive.

Edited by Maestro
Added summary.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retirement extension and Marriage extension

I would like to see a change the money we have to keep in the bank to get a retirement visa. Which believe is 800,000 single person, 400,000 married or parent, proven income of 100,000 income per month.

I would like to see assets taken into consideration, E.G Owning condo or if i decided to put my 800,000 into gold and deposit it in a safe deposit box can this be taken into concentration, if so many people would be far happier to do this as the interest rate is so low for us. With a gold deposit in the bank this can be and investment as well as security with gold prices in 2005 when came to Thailand being 10,000 for 1 baht of gold and

now 5 years later 27,000 for 1 baht of gold. I don't thing we would object so much to having dead money in the bank this way.

Parent extension

I am on extension of stay based on a 3 Millions "investment" Visa (O visa) since 7 years.

Since I have now 2 kids with Thai national but divorced, is that possible to convert my extension of stay from "investment" to "Parent support kids" without issuing a new visa ?

I have documents from Thai family court who clearly prove that I support my kids, share parental power and custody.

In that case, I am wondering if I need to show some money on a Thai bank (amount ?) or need to show any income from abroad as I don't work in Thailand.

Thank you.

90-day notification of staying longer than 90 days

Why, if I have a visa good for one year, do I have to "check in" every 90 days?

Yes. Also, can some kind of house registration certificate suffice to show the residential address, say, presenting the document once a year? Many of have been living at the same address for many years. This would also reduce paperwork for Immigration.

As far as the 90 day notification, why do they always need copies of all this if it is the same as the last 2-3-4 years?

Why not simply set up something to allow you (or them) to scan your copies into a system and you (via a screen at the immigration office) simply validate the information is still correct. And if you have been here over 2 or 3 years and have always done things correctly; allow 180 day reporting.

Uniform interpretation of rules and Retirement extension and Marriage extension

I'd like them to apply the same rules everywhere and NOT allow some offices to require way more than others especially for those who are long term residents (over 2-3 years). If the requirement is met for income by an income statement and you have been here over 3 years one office may accept that "as is" while a different office or different officer may want copies of a bank book (I should only have to show that not copy 40 pages from the last year) AND a letter from the bank stating this is correct. Or a letter from the bank stating this amount is in the bank for this period if using the money in the bank method.

For either a retirement extension OR marriage extension just validate that the previous copies of documents are still valid. I do the requirement extension even though I qualify for the marriage as it is easier, but I always include a copy of 40 year old marriage, some recent photos of the old folks, etc. However all the stuff about needing additional copies of this or that is annoying. And "IF" I have done everything "legally" for a 3 or more year period, why not allow a 3-5 year extension.

Marriage extension

i would like to ask,we expats that have been married to the same twf in my case 21years and live permantly here why cant we have 5year ext.and 180day reports.

Thai ID card

I would add this:

Foreign residents bring in much more money than tourists, yet tourists appear to be treated with special care.

Depending on source, there are between 4 - 6 million foreign residents on long term visas, with addtional foreign residents staying for 6 - 9 months a year on 3 month visas.

Those numbers bring the foreign resident population up over 10%, and does not include tourists...

Monetarily, that calculates to approximately 200 Billion Baht a month from foreign residents (5 Mil x 40,000 Baht = 200 Billion) or 2.4 Trillion Baht per year.

Whereas, 16 Million foreign tourists per year return only 960 Billion Baht (16 mil tourists x 60k Baht per visit = 960 Billion Baht) FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR...

Internationally, the average foreign tourist spends only about $1000 US per person, per trip, in country..

That lower figure translated into only 480 Billion Baht per year from Tourists (552 Billion per Wiki Figures)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

http://www.google.co.th/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:THA&dl=en&hl=en&q=thailand+gdp#ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:THA&ifdim=country&hl=en&dl=en

So, can foregn male residents, married to Thai, anticipate official recognition and Resident ID Card anytime soon, or am I just 'blowing smoke'..??

Marriage extension

I have been living in Thailand for the past five years on a married to Thai visa extension and every year I have to complete a new application form and supply copies of exactly the same documents that I have been supplying every year for the past five years. The majority of these documents do nothing more than confirm that I am legally married to a Thai national and also confirms the address of our marital home.

Perhaps I am missing something painfully obvious but I would have thought that once my first application for this type of visa had been approved then my marriage status had obviously been checked and accepted by the Thai Immigration authorities. Therefore, why do I have to keep supplying the same documents to confirm something that is already known?

I have raised this question with one of the top officials at my local Immigration Office and encouragingly she agreed with my logic completely. However, she explained that this type of visa is processed in Bangkok and it is they who decide which documents are required.

In my opinion this is a classic case of "It's always been done this way"........ regardless of the fact that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. A simple signed declaration confirming that a couple are still married and living together as husband and wife at xxxxxxx address would surely suffice.

I appreciate the need to supply documentary evidence regarding my finances as this is likely to fluctuate. However, the additional documents are totally superfluous and a complete waste of everyone's time.

Finally, I would like to see a five year visa become available - should reporting still be necessary, this would be done annually and not every ninety days.

Thai ID card

IDENTIFICATION

I realize how important to carry ID in a foreign country and Thailand requires it of its own nationals. Having said that, foreigners are often at great risk of having passports stolen. We need a solution!!!

Passport Cards with RFID and magnetic stripes are now issued by many countries. ALLOW as internal ID with copy of TM card.

Money spinner for Royal Police:

Make Thai ID cards good for five years at a minimal cost. When people come into Thailand they can get a stamped/verified copy of their TM card for say B25?? This can be carried together in public as ID. I would imagine there is a strict law against counterfeiting Royal Thai Police documents but if someone is so stupid, you can have a signed agreement when making the ID that they they are blacklisted for life.

Every time I go in the ocean I am so worried leaving the PP behind.

No dodgy person can every hold your passport for extortion.

Drunks will never lose their passports to bar workers

This means less work, more jobs and more money for Thai police!!!

Thai ID card

Just an addition to this question:

Thailand already supplies ID cards to migrant workers legally registered from Laos, Thailand and Cambodia (in addition to providing them special 2 year non-immigrant visas).

It shouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to extend this for of ID to all legally registered foreign workers and long term residents.

ask them ,

to issue a million baht tourist security bond ,

offering a competitive rate of interest ,

and farang,having this bond only having to visit immigration once a year ,

to confirm his address in thailand.

:jap:

Just an addition to this question:

Thailand already supplies ID cards to migrant workers legally registered from Laos, Thailand and Cambodia (in addition to providing them special 2 year non-immigrant visas).

It shouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to extend this for of ID to all legally registered foreign workers and long term residents.

Thai ID card

I agree -

-------------

Further, migrant workers can change employer without leaving the country, move place of work, and aren't required to pay tax on a fixed minimum level of earnings.

Why the double standards?

//Comment: Work permit and tax questions. Not suitable for meeting with Immigration Commissioner.

Edited by Maestro

Any updates on this ?

In particular, will their be a new department head ?

If so, will these questions be submitted for comments/response ?

//Comment: I believe it is the Commander of Immigration Division, often referred to as Immigration Commissioner, who is being replaced. The website of the Immigration Bureau shows the following man as the incumbent Commissioner:

post-21260-0-77448800-1317228564_thumb.g

Corruption

I have lived in Thailand for 9 years in Korat! I have been on a Retirement Visa and now under a Marriage Visa. When I need to get a residence letter for a drivers license renewal, buy a car or motorcycle, and/or to open a bank account, I used to go get this free at the Amphur Muang or for a nominal fee of 30-40 THB. Now, they tell us to go to Immigration and they charge us 500 THB and give us no receipts. They said Korat doesn't give receipts for this service. Once, I needed one in Pattaya, in order to buy a motorcycle and Immigration there gave it to me free. Why do two (2) separate Immigration offices, one charges and one doesn't, and why does Korat refuse to give government receipts, like they do when we renew our visas!!! Are these offices operated independently??? Thanks for your prompt answer to my questions!!!

Retirement extension

My suggestion on Retirement Visa.

My uncle has bought a condo in Bangkok costing more than

Four Million Baht in cash.

Why must he put in 800,000 Baht in a bank.

He should be waived on that condition.

Immigration should be more understanding and practical.

Or he need to put in a lesser amount.

Do away with the 3 months money in the bank seasoning.

Not practical. It makes life so miserable.

My personal suggestion. Thank you.

Recently got issued the attached warning notice deeming that I have been working illegally.

Subsequently talked with another officer who confessed that the notices come from Chaengwattana HQ and policy reinterpretations can happen several times per month.

Nothing I didn't know already, but is it illegal to look for a job on a tourist visa and, if so, does that mean that employers are breaking the law too?

//Comment: Incorrect information, perhaps due to misunderstanding. The cited notice came from Thai Consulate in Vientiane. Not suitable for meeting with Immigration Commissioner.

post-133770-0-83449200-1317206903_thumb.

Employment extension and Marriage extension

Today's escapade to Kohn Kaen Visa / Immigration office.

On the 20th March I entered Thailand with a Non Imm B Multiple visa with a view o begin teaching here.

I counted my 90days and reported a couple of days prior to the 90 days counted by myself, no problem there. I had started my job in a school by now and the wife came with me to the Immigration office. Where upon i was old that as i was not yet in receipt of my Work Permit they could not give me 90 days report and would only give me 60 days as i was married to a Thai. 1900 bht please sir, OK Fair enough Guv,i'll get my 90 days next time when i have my WPermit, see you then Khop Khun Krap.

Reported in prior to my 60 days running out only to be told that as the University which employs me in a Satit school had only given me a contract to 30 Sept, (which will then be renewed with a new 1 year contract as they bring all farang employees in line with each other at the same time for contracts), i can only have 50 days until 30th Sept, 1900bht please, Ok fair enough, I'll have my new contract by then and at last we can get things straightened out.

So back i go today, two days early, 1 year contract in hand and new 1 year WPermit, this should be simple today, but then the TIT syndrome resurfaced.

Sorry Sir but you don't have a Teachers licence so we cannot give you a 1 year extension visa.

But I work for University I don't need one .

Ah yes but you are working in a school there .

Yes and I was when you stamped my extension last time when i bought my work permit.

( blank look shrugged shoulders) sorry you need teacher cert if you work in school blah blah.

ok can i have 90 day report now that I have new work permit.

No you need teacher certificate and 90 day reports only given on 1 year extension visas .

Ok what can i do then? , you can have 60 day extension

you can have 60 day extension if you come back here WITH YOUR WIFE on or before 30th September ( the day stamped in passport by the way), or you can use your multiple entry B and go out of country for 1 day then come back into Thailand with 90 day stamp in your passport.

Oh, I happen to have my wifes passport with me and her Ta bien Baan book will that be ok?

No, she must be here in person then we can give you 60 day stamp and that will be ANOTHER 1900 bht when you come back, this will give you time to apply for teachers licence, and once you have REGISTERED AN APPLICATION for a licence ( which is valid for two years, for you to have to do the test) you can come back here and we will give you the 1 year extension visa, and that will be another 1900 bht thanks.

So Basically i have been working in a school for the best part of 5 months now without a work permit initially, and am now being told that i did need a teacher licence as well, in spite of the fact that the Immigration has been to see the people responsible for staff paperwork at the University in question, and nobody bothered to discuss licences for the element of staff that work in the school section of the aforementioned University and the fact that i have ben to immigration twice and nothing hasbeen mentioned.

Also why was i led to believe that, had i had a work permit the first time i visited the office i would have had a 90 day report not a 60 , only to be told today that that would not have been the case as that is nothing to with my multiple entry B visa , which is purely to go in and out of Thaialnd, and that it is because i am married to a thai that i have had a 60 day stamp, ???? Does this mean that when my B visa runs out i can just keep going back for a 60 day report with no further visa requirement because i am married to a Thai????????

Main Question for New Minister,

1. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO OVER COMPLICATED???

2.MANY QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS HAVE BEEN ASKED AND OFFERED BY THE FORUM MEMBERS HERE, WHICH ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE NOTICE OF AND IMPROVE IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE ATTRACTIVNESS OF YOUR COUNTRY??????

Ask Commissioner simply to eliminate the 90- Day rule.Not replace via internet reporting or pay as you go.I bsee no constructive reason for this rule .Living far away simply very costly and time consuming.

Any updates on this ?

In particular, will their be a new department head ?

If so, will these questions be submitted for comments/response ?

As soon as a new Commissioner is in place and we can get the interview. Watch this space.

Thanks George.

Let's hope your work on this has a positive outcome.

Retirement extension

on behalf of a friend who is not a thaivisa.com user:

Why the government cannot give a retired person who is at least 65 years old and stays in Thailand for more than 10 years and not going out of Thailand even not for a single day, a 5 years visa so that he also don’t have to go every 3 month to the immigration?(That’s are the real residences)

thank-you

No. The 90 day TM.47 is an immigration requirement and has nothing to do with home registration paperwork.

Do you think it's possible bring this to the attention of the new commissioner, after all this tabian baan is an official document stating where do you live, it's better than a piece of paper where I declare my domicile, don't you think? A lot of people is just lying about that and nobody really investigate on this.

Edited by Maestro

As said it has nothing to do with immigration - it is a list of who lives at a specific address (and is not tied to any person - those living there can change at any time) and in many cases does not reflect who actually are the current occupants.

should n't it be better , for a huge city as Bangkok (some countries are smaller and even more countries have less inhabitants :P) to have more than 1 immigration office?? They could be much smaller and close to the BTS please :P

Recently got issued the attached warning notice deeming that I have been working illegally.

Subsequently talked with another officer who confessed that the notices come from Chaengwattana HQ and policy reinterpretations can happen several times per month.

Nothing I didn't know already, but is it illegal to look for a job on a tourist visa and, if so, does that mean that employers are breaking the law too?

//Comment: Incorrect information, perhaps due to misunderstanding. The cited notice came from Thai Consulate in Vientiane. Not suitable for meeting with Immigration Commissioner.

Hey - you Tin-pot Gods!

Wait just a minute:

In the interest of transparency and accountability:

1. Who DEEMS issues are "unsuitable" and what are the criteria ?

2. Who DEEMS my information is "incorrect" ?

3. Who DEEMS there was "perhaps" a misunderstanding ?

Hmmm?

//Comment: The Immigration Act and the Ministerial Regulations based on that law say what the Immgigration Division and its Commander are in charge of. Notices issued by Thai consulates and work permit matters are not part of it.

Edited by Maestro
Added comment.

Has there been an interview with the immigration department?

If so, will it be published?

//Comment: Be patient. There has not even been a single working day since the new Commissioner's appointment took effect, if such appointment has in fact been made. The OP mentions it as a possibility ("it is tipped"), not as a fact.

Edited by Maestro