Wont Be Many Brits Left Here Soon 47 Baht To Sterling Oh Dear

IMHO

The GBP is on par with normal to the US $.

Thai Baht and Asian Curriencies trend is losing against the GBP and USD.

Euro is in Trouble and depreciating.

Euro started near 0.90 to the USD in 1999. Has fluctuated from a low of 0.82 to a high in the upper 1.00's to the USD.

Euro Recession is most likely according to all forecasts and no real worry over USD and GBP long term.

Damage has already been done to USD and GBP, now rest of the world's turn to learn the "Bubble is not Infinate".

Euro has ridden the Bubble since inception. Euro is overvalued, GBP is fair, and THB and Asian Curriencies way Overvalued.

I would not keep more money than needed for short term living expenses in Asian accounts (unless I needed to for Visa requirements) based on the signs of their Depreciation.

Just remember as the Thai Baht or Asian currencies devalue against any western currencies, you will lose money against what one would have in their western country bank.

As said, just my opinion.

Hell fire you'll be telling the AEON atm customers that there daily/weeekly withdrawal is fee free next !!

Edited by Chivas

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not feel embarrassed !! I sure as hell would. And which free country are you referring to ?? Normally its only Brits who offer that lame old excuse...

Please tell me otherwise...

Are we Brit bashing now?

Why would he feel embarrassed?

So whats your point/beef ??

Only some thick skinned Rhino wih thirty years of shitting in a swamp would be less receptive to your response.

By way of reminder, this is a thread about Thai - Sterling exchange rates. I suggest that if you want to call each other names, you resort to foul and abusive PMs.

I've always tried to match income and expenditure in each currency, and keep my savings invested in income-producing assets, not cash.

Most of my income is in pound-denominated investments, but the underlying investments are better-distributed; the only savings denominated in baht would be our visa account.

I earn in a third currency, which correlates better with the baht than the pound. My us-dollar linked assets probably exceed my us-dollar linked mortgage.

Swings and roundabouts. Snakes and ladders. Foxes and hounds

SC

Suppose I would have to agree with you on that, many young people are leaving college or uni now with no jobs and massive debt as you mentioned.

Serves them right for being mugs. Anyone with half a brain cell could see tony blairs bleating on about how everyone should get a degree was just BS. The people doing well are those that have some marketable skills like plumbers. Media studies- what a load of...........!

Agree absolutely, it's very important to research the jobs-market & get the choice right, on the other hand an in-law's kid just did a last-minute change-of-choice to Media-Studies from Anthropology, I'd still regard that as a small step in the right direction ! :o

And I really wish prospective-students sat down, and just worked out, how many years of student-loan repayments they were about to incur. This might give them pause-for-thought ! Why don't secondary-schools teach this sort of thinking ? Or anything about business & the commercial facts-of-life ? <_<

Its a potential huge cost for people here with children and we plan to send our 13 year old and 15 year old to Uk to live with their aunt or USA with one of my daughters (if we can since they dont hold USA passports but hold UK passports). Then then I believe the rule is they have to have lived in UK for 3 years to get free university in Scotland or subsidised in england and also qualify for student loans. We can actually afford to pay full fees but this will take around 150,000-200,000 GBP for both of them for 3 years with living costs or more and I feel even as a non resident I paid far far more in taxes in both UK and USA. While we have this sort of money it could seriously affect our ability to live here in life style we have if we had to spend it all.

I'd confirm that I've heard, what used to be 2 years prior-residence-requirement in the UK, is now 3 years.

Also that the subsidies for UK-students were being seriously-reduced, as part of the new-government's attempts to stop wildly-overspending (long overdue IMO), so that the gap between overseas/domestic student-costs was being narrowed, in the next few years. Switching from subsidies to student-loans may eventually cause students to look harder at the benefits of getting a degree.

In a way this is just the bill arriving, for the increase in the proportion of 18-year-olds, who can expect to go on to university-studies. When all the old polytechnics & colleges became new-universities, that represented a one-off cut in youth-unemployment, since there were 3-years-worth of students who didn't enter the labour-market, but a massive increase in the UK's investment in education, not all of which resulted in increased earning-power or usefulness-to-society.

OMG, I'm starting to sound like my father ! :o

But it's certainly true, that funding my kids further-education, is a problem now looming-up, and we have to think hard about what cuts we're willing to make, in order to fund it. Not easy if one's spouse is from a culture, where the grown-up kids are expected to support the parents, instead of parents expecting to educated their kids through university !

Perhaps I should start discussing, when within the kids' hearing, the benefits of joining the services & getting a sponsored-degree ? Or of just how fulfilling a shepherd's life must be ? :lol: On the other hand, do we really want the 'little darlings' to still be living at home, into their middle-age ? ! :whistling:

Light at the end of the tunnel?

The baht will weaken eventually. All that subsidy proposed by Thaksin will certainly help the farang cause as indeed will the credit boom when it busts. Quite sad to watch actually, in much the same way witnessing a car accident in slow motion might be. Still, you can't have a bust without the boom and an awful lot of rich Thai are going to get a lot richer on the backs of the middle classes.

Give it another 3 years before the wheel nuts start to loosen.

My Uni fees in Thailand 50kbht a term, 2 terms a year (2000UKP).

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,

speaking words of wisdom ask let it be.

And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

speaking words of wisdom ask let it be.

Edited by ludditeman

I remember when it was under 40THB to 1 GBP, and don't seem to recall a shortage of Brits here then.

I remember that too. I also remember how much cheaper Thailand was then.

Exactly !!! as SC says 'swings and roundabouts etc '

Well, yeah...that was 15 years ago. Even at a modest rate of inflation you could expect many things to have doubled in price since then.

But lots of things have risen only modestly in hard currency terms, and some have even gone down.

I paid 150 baht an hour for Thai massage in 1996 -- that was $6 then. I pay 100 baht an hour now ($3.30).

A can of Coke at the 7-11 was 10 baht then ($0.40), and it's 13 baht now ($0.43).

Flag fall in taxis was 35 baht then ($1.40), and remains unchanged today ($1.17).

Fried rice from a street stall was 15 baht then ($0.60), and it's 30 baht now ($1).

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that's doubled in price in $ or GBP terms in the past 15 years, except maybe for hotel rooms that were denominated in dollars then and are still denominated in dollars now.

I remember when it was under 40THB to 1 GBP, and don't seem to recall a shortage of Brits here then.

Exactly !!! as SC says 'swings and roundabouts etc '

Well, yeah...that was 15 years ago. Even at a modest rate of inflation you could expect many things to have doubled in price since then.

But lots of things have risen only modestly in hard currency terms, and some have even gone down.

I paid 150 baht an hour for Thai massage in 1996 -- that was $6 then. I pay 100 baht an hour now ($3.30).

A can of Coke at the 7-11 was 10 baht then ($0.40), and it's 13 baht now ($0.43).

Flag fall in taxis was 35 baht then ($1.40), and remains unchanged today ($1.17).

Fried rice from a street stall was 15 baht then ($0.60), and it's 30 baht now ($1).

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that's doubled in price in $ or GBP terms in the past 15 years, except maybe for hotel rooms that were denominated in dollars then and are still denominated in dollars now.

I guess that is more or less what I was trying to say, all be it not very well, in the 6 years I have live here, maybe only fuel (petrol, deisel) has doubled, food has gone up and down, beers gone up a bit, you can still get a meal in our village market cafe' for 15 - 20 bht a snack for 10bht and most Thai restaurants have gone from 20 - 25 -30 bht for some meals over that time.

Bangkok is another ball game for sure but you can still find cheap places to eat and stay.

Out in the sticks Thai food is still cheap, mind you in the market I paid 140 Baht for a kg of pork for our mutts, (they eat well!).

One thing that must be comparable with UK prices is a meal in Pizza Hut in the Tesco mall.

I paid 900 Baht for a meal for wife and I, a monthly treat but they did give me a red/green umbrella.

ph34r.gif

Flame post deleted by Moderator

I believe that the GBP 9k figure is the maximum for UK-resident students, overseas students do usually pay significantly more than that, they also need flights to/from their home-countries or living-costs in-between terms, whereas UK-resident students can just go home and sponge off their parents live for free ?

Edited by Jai Dee
The quoted post was deleted because of flaming.

I believe that the GBP 9k figure is the maximum for UK-resident students, overseas students do usually pay significantly more than that, they also need flights to/from their home-countries or living-costs in-between terms, whereas UK-resident students can just go home and sponge off their parents live for free ?

Yes, but the poster referred to, both his kids have both UK and US passports apparently.

Yes, but the poster referred to, both his kids have both UK and US passports apparently.

The fees go with the residence, not the passport.

You have to live in the UK for three years to qualify as resident. You get less time for armed robbery!

SC

Out in the sticks Thai food is still cheap, mind you in the market I paid 140 Baht for a kg of pork for our mutts, (they eat well!).

One thing that must be comparable with UK prices is a meal in Pizza Hut in the Tesco mall.

I paid 900 Baht for a meal for wife and I, a monthly treat but they did give me a red/green umbrella.

ph34r.gif

I've noticed the same - pizzas are v expensive here. Thank god I'm not keen on them :lol:!

ph34r.gif

I have never had a red and green umbrella pizza before and at 900 bts wont be trying either! Probably covered with that sweet salad cream that I thought was good measure of cheese first time I came across it! What a bad day that was :bah:

ph34r.gif

I have never had a red and green umbrella pizza before and at 900 bts wont be trying either! Probably covered with that sweet salad cream that I thought was good measure of cheese first time I came across it! What a bad day that was :bah:

Most 'branded' varieties here are branded for Thailand and WAY too sweet!

Kit kats are my latest example - I'm just praying that Snickers will not go the same way.

You have to live in the UK for three years to qualify as resident. You get less time for armed robbery!

SC

Agreed, unfortunately one can't just show-up & wave a UK-passport, to get the UK-resident reduced-fees.

I do know parents who've sent their 15/16-year-old children, to live with relatives in the UK, for the three years prior to university. :o

On the positive side, the rate's up to 48.51 (on ThaiVisa) today, or 48.759 on xe.com, so all of us giving the UK the clap :clap2: is clearly working ! Keep it up, chaps ! :P

Absolutely- the bar scene was sooooo much cheaper then. Gone up over 100% in GoGos since the mid 90s.

Unfortunately my wages didn't go up 100% in the same time period!

Anyway, anyone care to guess how high the pound is going to go? Haven't got a lot left and don't want to cash them in while still rising.

SC

Edited by Bkkorupcountry

SC

Agreed, unfortunately one can't just show-up & wave a UK-passport, to get the UK-resident reduced-fees.

I do know parents who've sent their 15/16-year-old children, to live with relatives in the UK, for the three years prior to university. :o

On the positive side, the rate's up to 48.51 (on ThaiVisa) today, or 48.759 on xe.com, so all of us giving the UK the clap :clap2: is clearly working ! Keep it up, chaps ! :P

So are you saying that a British citizen, who has been living overseas, decides to return to UK to go to university and will not enjoy the Gbp 9 k fees if they haven't lived there for the last 3 yrs?

...So are you saying that a British citizen, who has been living overseas, decides to return to UK to go to university and will not enjoy the Gbp 9 k fees if they haven't lived there for the last 3 yrs?

Exactly. Not sure of the figure, though.

People who live overseas but have British passports are not considered as home students, but as overseas students.

SC

...So are you saying that a British citizen, who has been living overseas, decides to return to UK to go to university and will not enjoy the Gbp 9 k fees if they haven't lived there for the last 3 yrs?

People who live overseas but have British passports are not considered as home students, but as overseas students.

SC

The above is for the most part true, what is not mentioned is the status of the parents employment overseas if working.

I also know people who send their children back to the UK for 3 years before going to uni, though you may have to take into account the fees at someplace like Fettes,

before deciding if its financially viable.

SC

But only people who don't keep a UK mailing address

The best way round the education question and the 3 year rule is this. Apply for political asylum, get the house £250 each a week plus £100 each a week hardship money, then say " by the way I want to go to university ( in pidgeon English ) making sure you tell the authorities that " I aint got no money" and "if you dont come up with goods I will say you are infringeing my human rights."

Absolutely- the bar scene was sooooo much cheaper then. Gone up over 100% in GoGos since the mid 90s.

Unfortunately my wages didn't go up 100% in the same time period!

100% in 15 years is just about a 4% increase per year. Not really anything unusual.

And, since sterling is worth 20% more against the Thai baht now than it was in the mid-90's, the increase in real currency terms is even less than that.

If your salary is calculated in baht, though, and it has not gone up 100% in 15 years, you're pretty much screwed.