Marry At Amphur

mja1906

Does anyone know how many days it will take to get married legally (ie at the amphur) in Chiang Mai? Also what docs are needed. I am a British National , so I will need

- to get the affirmation saying I am single and can marry, and then translated into Thai

- my fiancé also needs to get copies of his divorce certificate (which he has lost so will need to go Police station and then amphur to get new copies),

- Copies of my passport, his id cards

Any thing else required?

Am guessing all this could be done in 2-3 days?

Thanks

Edited by mja1906

Just go to the amphur with all your docs and your out within 15 minutes depending on how many people are in the Amphur. I used sansai as its not as busy as the one in the town center. It cost 35 baht each to get married and it costs 500thb each to get divorced, so make sure its what you want to do...lol :D Im a British national also and I think you have all the paperwork covered, but just to confirm you have had your affirmation translated and stamped by the Government office in Chiang Mai as stated on your previous thread.

Just incase you haven't this is where you need to get you affirmation stamped and registered:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building

Chotana Road, T. Chang Puek

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

Tel: 053.112.748, 053.112.749, 053.112.750

Just go to the amphur with all your docs and your out within 15 minutes depending on how many people are in the Amphur. I used sansai as its not as busy as the one in the town center. It cost 35 baht each to get married and it costs 500thb each to get divorced, so make sure its what you want to do...lol :D Im a British national also and I think you have all the paperwork covered, but just to confirm you have had your affirmation translated and stamped by the Government office in Chiang Mai as stated on your previous thread.

Absolutely.

Problem is that it`s all so quick, the groom hasn`t time to have a re-think and change his mind and before you know it, you`ve been lumbered for life.

Thaimiller, thank you so much. So were you able to get your affirmation from UK Consulate, stamped by the MFA in Chiang Mai ? Therefore I would not need to go BKK for this ? I'm currently in Phuket and planning to complete the whole process next week, without a visit in BKK. (So I would not have time to wait for the affirmation to be sent to BKK for notarisation). Thanks again, this is kinda stressing me out as its all a bit of a rush, so to hear from someobdy who has actually done it all in CM (including notarisation by MFA in Chiang Mai) is much appreciated !

Start to finish mine was about 2 weeks + 2 weeks waiting for my appointment at the Embassy

However once you have everything together, in town, at the Amphur, the time there was about 1 hour

They did not charge us anything

2weeks +2weeks ? that sounds like a long time! did you do all of yours in CM too?

you had to wait for embassy appointment?

Thaimiller, thank you so much. So were you able to get your affirmation from UK Consulate, stamped by the MFA in Chiang Mai ? Therefore I would not need to go BKK for this ? I'm currently in Phuket and planning to complete the whole process next week, without a visit in BKK. (So I would not have time to wait for the affirmation to be sent to BKK for notarisation). Thanks again, this is kinda stressing me out as its all a bit of a rush, so to hear from someobdy who has actually done it all in CM (including notarisation by MFA in Chiang Mai) is much appreciated !

If you get your affirmation done at CM consulate there is a translation place right next door (turn right out of the gate). He will do your translation and handle the MFA part at City Hall. It took 48 hours to come back and he charged 700Baht all in.

Edited to add: He originally wanted 1000Bt - get your wife to be to do the deal!

Edited by KhunDave

If you get your affirmation done at CM consulate there is a translation place right next door (turn right out of the gate). He will do your translation and handle the MFA part at City Hall. It took 48 hours to come back and he charged 700Baht all in.

Edited to add: He originally wanted 1000Bt - get your wife to be to do the deal!

Khun Dave, you have put such a smile on my face, as this was the answer I was hoping for, and nobody could seem to confirm the MFA Chiang Mai part until now. I am so relieved to hear I don't need to go to BKK, and don't need to wait for docs to be sent to BKK, because I wont have time. So technically it is possible to go to the Consulate on Monday and have all the docs prepared and marry at the Amphur on Friday. All done in 1wk

Relief !! Khun Dave, if I wasn't getting married I could kiss you now ! hahahhaha , cheers again

Khun Dave, you have put such a smile on my face, as this was the answer I was hoping for, and nobody could seem to confirm the MFA Chiang Mai part until now. I am so relieved to hear I don't need to go to BKK, and don't need to wait for docs to be sent to BKK, because I wont have time. So technically it is possible to go to the Consulate on Monday and have all the docs prepared and marry at the Amphur on Friday. All done in 1wk

Relief !! Khun Dave, if I wasn't getting married I could kiss you now ! hahahhaha , cheers again

Just remember that the consulate is only open 9 to 11.30 am. Get in there first thing Monday and you should be ready for the Amphur by Thursday. Good luck with it!

Further edit: Sorry I said wife to be earlier. Just realised that you are a lady!

Edited by KhunDave