Thoughts On Taking The Train From Bangkok To Phuket

engrin

2 Canadian friends will be visiting Thailand and I am making the travel arrangements for the 4 of us. The group will consist of 3 male Canadians and my Thai wife. My wife and I have been to Phuket a few times by plane and we've recently been told that travelling by sleeper trains can be a good experience.

The pros of taking the train from Bangkok to Phuket (stopping in Surat Thani and transferring by bus) vs. the plane as I can see them are

- save 1 night of a hotel booking

-meet people while on the train

-enjoy the scenery as it goes by

-a new experience

The part that worries me is the bus ride from Surat Thani to Phuket. The website I found says that the bus can be anywhere from 4-6 hours.Just wondering if the bus ride is comfortable/enjoyable after a long train ride or if we should just take the plane?

Thanks for all input :)

Edited by engrin

Hi there,

I did it once with a group of friends, not to Phuket but to Krabi, which is about the same distance.

Arranged for a minibus to pick us up at Surathani train station.

The train experience was very positive especially the many hours spend in the resto-wagon.

Cannot say the same about the mini-bus ride, very tiresome.

Would not do it again, however glad I did it once, because all in all it is an experience to remember.

Maybe one way train + bus and return by plane?

Regards

Yermanee :jap:

Edited by yermanee

..done the train (private sleeper)from Thung Sung..near Trang a couple of times ....usually in the dark and sod all stunning to see really even in the daylight...not like Vancouver to Calgary say....schedule is unreliable so can be a bit frustrating getting connections.

Direct buses are a better option if you must..

Think you can even rent a taxi in BKK to Phuket.. ..know people who have done Chang Rai by cab from BKK and ave seen BKK taxis in Phuket.

Probably someone on here could give you some info as what you should pay? With four people may work out quite reasonable door to door in comfort..stopping when you like etc....?

Overall though think it would be better to take a plane mate..bit more expensive but, as another post, time saved will be worth it..don't want to spend your valuable vacation time sitting ....with all the attendant hassles?

I've done it several times and enjoyed it. The bus ride is always a bit of a pain, but take a good book, you won't notice the length of the ride, or the bumps or the curves much. Also, the scenery from the bus it terrific. More shades of green in those jungles than you'll have though of. And you wake rested from the train, I always enjoy those second-class sleepers. They even have air-con now.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of the trains despite the rise in costs, cancellations, run down bogies and cockroaches.

The trains simply do not run to the Andaman coast save for Trang and for anyone to go by train only to stop and transf to a longhaul bus is just a hassle, expense and a waste of time.

Up to you!

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of the trains despite the rise in costs, cancellations, run down bogies and cockroaches.

The trains simply do not run to the Andaman coast save for Trang and for anyone to go by train only to stop and transf to a longhaul bus is just a hassle, expense and a waste of time.

Up to you!

OP asked about the experience traveling by train to Surat and then by bus to Phuket.

I still think it's a bit of an adventure that one should experience in Thailand at least once.

It may be a waste of time or it may be time well spent, and for me and my friends it was the latter.

Would I do it again : probably not but I certainly do not regret it.

Just my opinion

Up to you!

OP asked about the experience traveling by train to Surat and then by bus to Phuket.

I still think it's a bit of an adventure that one should experience in Thailand at least once.

It may be a waste of time or it may be time well spent, and for me and my friends it was the latter.

Would I do it again : probably not but I certainly do not regret it.

Just my opinion

"adventure" after a fourteen hour++ flight may not be high on the agenda...maybe on the way back? :blink::(

....methinks the "add on" on a flight from Canada is low ( I think my friend paid C$38? on top of his flight Van-BKK to Krabi)

Not too long ago there was a three train accident in Thailand (yes, 3-separate trains collided in 1 accident).

Does more need to be said about the safety of trains in Thailand?

Compared to how may accidents on the roads?

OMG worrying about a train accident. Please don't go to India.

In fact, don't come to Asia. Stay home pull up a chair and turn on Discovery Channel. Maybe you will catch me on the Tibet Hindustan Hwy on way up to Leh - which would make my 4th trip on that road and 6th tip to Leh.

Adventure - well some of us are easily amused.

BTW If you alight in Surat, that will be an early wake up call. 5am I think.

You could be in Phuket by 6am sure by bus direct.

No more minibus rides for me, thank you.

I did the Chumpon-Surat Thai too many times by necessity (no regualar buses, train only goes to Phunphin, not many trains)

I enjoy my life too much, thus take planes for long distances whenever possible.

I also rode the Bangkok-Chumpon night train many times, would have taken the plane every time if the kept flying there. Second class aircon wagon was not really fun, never slept, meeting people??? You must be joking.

I avoid minibus, bus, train. Plane is the way to go.

I now live 40kms from an airport and drive to the airport for any trip over 300kms.

Edited by tartempion

- save 1 night of a hotel booking

But spend more money on all the necessarily living items for the almost 24 hour trip vs. the 90 minute plane ride that will costs less

-meet people while on the train

Spend longer in Phuket meeting people there.

-enjoy the scenery as it goes by

While you sleep much of the time?

-a new experience

I suggest taking a short train trip somewhere if you just want the experience. Trains are not the best way to get around Thailand.

IMO, this is just too long of a trip to make a train enjoyable and will take much time off your vacation in Phuket.