Long Hair

HeavyDrinker

Today the wife turned around to me and my cousin and told us we should get our hair cut.

This is after 20 years of my being here and my cousin isn't too far behind that.

We have both had successful careers here, but the wife now thinks we're "too old" to have long hair and that it's "not polite" to have long hair.

My cousin (a former member here) told her to "eff off" but he's braver than I am but as far as I know long hair on a Westerner has never really been a hindrance to a career here, or has it?

Long hair in an asian culture usually reflects as a drug addict or people who are in dubious business. That's the perception only, not the reality cos we all know that in the real world, the biggest crooks are always clean shaven and have neat short hairs.

No, just long. Nothing extreme.

I can pony mine up with ease as can my evil cousin who is now lecturing the wife as to how Jesus had long hair and how she is a heathen....again...I love Sundays....

At university, I was a hippy. I have some truly vile photos of myself when I was young.

These days I always keep it short and neat.

Cut it.

It's much more comfortable. And you really will look a whole lot younger.

When it's done ......... come back and post a photo!

This sounds a bit girlie but your hair could be getting weaker, stragglier, and probably changing colour. Your complexion is most likely changing too, I've no doubt you were cock o' the walk 20 years ago but maybe your wearing a feather duster on your head now.

You must have a sneaking suspicion that your lady is right otherwise you wouldn't have posted. :rolleyes:

Hey! I was called "handsome" many, many times last night I'll have you know.

As you went by last night and my gal hollered out to you calling you a hansum man, I had to laugh. She turned back to me and said that I used to be hansum man but now I am old. :annoyed:

Hey! I was called "handsome" many, many times last night I'll have you know.

As you went by last night and my gal hollered out to you calling you a hansum man, I had to laugh. She turned back to me and said that I used to be hansum man but now I am old. :annoyed:

:D

Edited by theblether

Thai men with long hair are almost always muscians or transvestites, or perhaps media types. Or all of the mentioned.

As a farang you can have long hair as long as you have money and don't work for any Thais. Of course Thais judge you on your appearance, but if you are not in the work force (I mean as long as they are working for you than the other way around) I don't think it really matters. Issues like cleansiness and clean clothes are much more important than the length of your fringe..

Edited by Geekfreaklover

At the more conservative places I've worked, people do get asked to modify hair, dress, etc., when they violate local norms (which are quite conservative).

Long hair/extensive facial hair on men is both a sign of 'not someone who works in a reputable business' and 'political liberal/student type', neither of which will get you much joy with the establishment (or those who support its values). Could be that your wife's friends are just trying to send you a helpful message.

At the more conservative places I've worked, people do get asked to modify hair, dress, etc., when they violate local norms (which are quite conservative).

Long hair/extensive facial hair on men is both a sign of 'not someone who works in a reputable business' and 'political liberal/student type', neither of which will get you much joy with the establishment (or those who support its values). Could be that your wife's friends are just trying to send you a helpful message.

Unlikely, probably a bunch of layabouts with nothing better to do between korean soap operas than compare their men's hairstyle with the latest boy band that can't sing.

I noticed a thread on women's hair in the ladies forum-what was the concensus reached there? Short enough to reveal the little area on the back of the neck when you gently rub up against it with your nose is makes a gal get all goose-bumpy?

Anyways, bring back michelle bolton I say, his hair was amazing lol ;)

B) I have to admit, when I first saw the subject of this thread I tought it was long hair on a Thai woman.

As a "Yoot",(my cousin Vinny). I had long hair and was in a rock band in the 70's. My hair was more like Gene Simmons than long. I went through a period on non- conformity in my youth, and realized that it was better to become a conformist on the surface than to suffer the wrath. Now that I am old and especially when I lived in Thailand it was a Number 2. Another poster mentioned a number 3 ,but my hair just grows too fast.

It is very hot in Thailand as all of you know and I sweat profusely. As other mentioned shorter hair make you look youger. Thai's being a traditional culture , at least in the past. Consider long hair and facial hair in a negative light. My Thai wife does not want me to have any facial hair and I used to grow a beard every winter, I agree , because i Insist on her maintaining her beatiful long silky black hair.

LL

I am getting to the point where if I keep my hair as I have been keeping it since leaving the Marines, and that is not really too long, it can look like I am attempting a comb-over. I really do need to visit the barber more often to keep in shorter all around.

This coincides with the advent of several Thai friends starting to remind me to get my hair cut, something never mentioned before. I happen to agree with them, but it does seem a little odd to me that four different Thais seem to think it is their job to keep reminding me that it is time to visit the barber. :)