Long Hair

HeavyDrinker

Long hair in an asian culture usually reflects as a drug addict or people who are in dubious business. That's the perception only, not the reality cos we all know that in the real world, the biggest crooks are always clean shaven and have neat short hairs.

------------------------------------

Yeh, and wear $2500 Armani suits, shake your hand vigoursly and say, "Nice to meet you (name) I'm running for (office) and I need your vote"

:annoyed:

I usually get moderated for "inflammatory posts" if I attach a picture (or even use emoticons). I'll take my chances with this one.

TheMullet.png

Hmmmmmm, the hair is to hide the dodgy ears. :lol:

Am I the only one who thinks thats a girl ??

At the more conservative places I've worked, people do get asked to modify hair, dress, etc., when they violate local norms (which are quite conservative).

Long hair/extensive facial hair on men is both a sign of 'not someone who works in a reputable business' and 'political liberal/student type', neither of which will get you much joy with the establishment (or those who support its values). Could be that your wife's friends are just trying to send you a helpful message.

Indeed. As a rule, longer hair and facial hair are generally adhered with dirty and unkempt associations.

Even today, a Carabao look is not favoured.

How long do I keep my hair?

About a month, then I'm off to the barber lady for a no.3.

But I can see a lot of truth in thailand's post about the indians and their hair.

Since I started cutting mine off a few years ago I've lost a few of my abilities also. :drunk:

Old guys with long hair do look a bit sad.

I agree 100 percent and even worse when they r going bald on top with a ponytail at the back

Indeed, disheveled look is out; though was never actually in, especially in this neck of da woods. The locals think you're a tool, take heed. ;)

Do you ever do this, op: go out with hair tied up, have a few, then proceed to let it down with a shake of the bonce after all inhibitions are stifled? I've noticed many old, and young, dudes do this and always makes me chuckle.

beat me to it....I love saying that to blokes with pony tails :lol:

Coming from a man who openly supports WHU I can't comment.....

If I knew how to post a pic I would because I have a belter of me and my cousin at my wedding (many moons ago) and my father-in-law glaring at the pair of us.

Both of us with flowing locks!

there's long hair, and then there is a failed hippy comune look long hair. so long as well groomed, clean, and well presented then no problem. a bloke with long hair well kept who dresses smart and neat and has a good demeanor is more acceptable to be than an unshaven yob with jeans and sruffy teeshirt, regardless of hair cut.

disrespectful - no, I do not think so. those that will perceive your long hair as such, are likely to be the type that are offended by your mere presence here in thailand.

I think maybe your mrs. is trying to say "grow up" - that's what mine tells me all the time...... no intention of complying :whistling:

Can someone explain the numbering system? I see mention of a number 1 or a number 3 or 4?

To me, number one is what a man does standing up, and number two is done sitting down...

Can someone explain the numbering system? I see mention of a number 1 or a number 3 or 4?

To me, number one is what a man does standing up, and number two is done sitting down...

It's all to do with the long and short of it all. :jap:

jb1

Well I have long flowing locks which I pony up when in company. Have to,

Never a mulllet!

Seems having hair isn't an obstacle here especially given my cousin who has hair to his arse and, and.....he never ponies up.

I can't say but he's a mate of a mod here and is just brilliant in his job..the bastard!

After reading this thread, I'm going to go easy on Hubby in the future about his hair. I start to make remarks about 5 weeks after he's had a haircut about how it's getting long, starting to curl around his neck in the humidity. After 6 weeks, I'm talking about how he's starting to look scruffy. At week 7, I tell him he really can't go off to ---------- (whatever is coming up) event/meeting looking like that. About week 8 he walks all of 50 ft to the barber on the soi, pays 100 baht and gets a really good haircut and beard trim. The barber would really like to shave off the beard. Maybe he thinks he can gain a customer for a daily shave. I think he charges something like 30 - 40 baht for a shave. Seems like a nice, low-cost luxury to me.

Why do guys want to keep their scruffy-looking hair? It really does make them look old and like they're deluding themselves into thinking they're still young. Kind of like a woman of a similar age who hasn't changed her hairstyle, makeup or style of dress since she was age 20.

Edited by NancyL