Thai Student Nazi Dress-Up Day Causes Outrage

webfact

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as any reasonable person knows that in the students minds they were not advocating Nazism.

For the love of God! No one here is blaming the students, how many times do you need to be told this before it will sink in? However, the Catholic teachers of an International school should have realised the implications of their choice of display.

Their inability to do so has just highlighted the school lacks common sense, cultural awareness and a basic understanding of world changing events in the last 100 years.

Christ, half the nuns are probably old enough to have been in the dam_n war itself.

LMAO, you are the one who brought up what was or wasn't on the kid's minds.

Interesting that what you call an International School only developed an English program a couple years ago. (should I have prefaced this with "for the love of god" since it has been pointed out befrore)

Actually you haven't read this thread if you think nobody is blaming the students.

pic2.jpg

You can laugh your ass off all you want. It just makes you come across as slightly demented. And yes I do call it an international school (by name anyway) because the school's own policy proudly claims...

You might want to brush up on your Thai as this doesn't say it is an international school. However, it may market itself as an International School now that it has an English program but there are very few international students there compared to actual international schools in Thailand.

For the love of God! No one here is blaming the students, how many times do you need to be told this before it will sink in? However, the Catholic teachers of an International school should have realised the implications of their choice of display.

Their inability to do so has just highlighted the school lacks common sense, cultural awareness and a basic understanding of world changing events in the last 100 years.

Christ, half the nuns are probably old enough to have been in the dam_n war itself.

Interesting that what you call an International School only developed an English program a couple years ago. (should I have prefaced this with "for the love of god" since it has been pointed out befrore)

Actually you haven't read this thread if you think nobody is blaming the students.

pic2.jpg

You can laugh your ass off all you want. It just makes you come across as slightly demented. And yes I do call it an international school (by name anyway) because the school's own policy proudly claims...

เสริมสร้างคุณธรรม นำความรู้ สู่สากล มีศักดิ์ศรี รักและรับใช้ รู้บทบาทหน้าที่ มีวินัยรับผิดชอบและดำเนินชีวิตอยู่ในสังคมได้อย่างมีความสุข

You might want to brush up on your Thai as this doesn't say it is an international school. However, it may market itself as an International School now that it has an English program but there are very few international students there compared to actual international schools in Thailand.

Ok so by your understanding it isn't an international school, yet it is marketing itself as an international school? So they are false advertising then, and marketing themselves as something they are not. Dear oh dear, is there no end to this school's lies and depict?

pic2.jpg

What a sorry looking bunch - now it's more understandable.

Why is the barber in the picture?

Barber? I thought that was someone dressed up as Emperor Hirohito!

Silly me.

The two on the nuns left look a bit 'iffy'. unsure.gif

Maybe thats because they are all floating 6 inches off the ground. Must be a miracle...

Symbols and costumes only have power over those who choose to let them have power over them or have allowed others to convince them they should. It is absolutely ridiculous for anyone to get worked up over this when it is clear no malice was meant by the kids. School systems are horrible in many parts of the West but if people want to debate how much should be taught about Hitler & the Nazi's, whom Thailand was not directly effected by like so many western nations, then that is great but again something is off if people need to get all emotional, superior and condemning

I'm fairly confident that the Thais at the school are still having a difficult time with the over reaction by some when any reasonable person knows there was absolutely no intent on offending anyone and that this is Thailand and not a nation bombed by Germany or who saw their people slaughtered in death camps by the Nazis.

If only the same people up in arms about this would show the same kind of political correctness and knowledge when it comes to knowing and understanding Thai History and being sensitive to issues most Thai hold dear. Instead, there are many on this site that post condemning blanket remarks about Thais and Thailand in general that any Thai would find offence but the difference is that most Thais are wise enough to simply let it go and move on realizing the problem is with these posters and not themselves.

It astounds me that the very basics of what's wrong with the school's actions are completely lost on you. Although if I am completely honest it astounds me less and less with each of your contributions I read, but honestly. There are apologists, Thai apologists and then a few miles down the road you seem to have set up your own one man blind excuse camp, complete with a massive sandbox to bury your head in.

Please enlighten me how the school had any blame in this. (beyond as I mentioned in terms of education curriculum in Thailand).

The school was unaware of what the kids were going to do and even if they were, it appears most of the teachers were clueless as to how this would be taken (again, education as I mentioned)

It is tradition to keep the dress secret until the day of the event. It has been stated over and over again, the kids did this on their own.

And based on the reports, it appears only the expats there (including teachers) were even aware of the offence some people might take once the kids did put on their display. (again goes to education as I mentioned earlier)

So, I can only see the expat teachers being to blame here (unless we are talking about Thai education curriculum as I mentioned previously).

The school and students have both apologized for the event and made clear no ill intent was meant. The Isreal embassy has accepted the apology and is understanding of how it happened and that the Thai Education Curriculum (as I stated above) in much of Asia (not just Thailand) is the blame.

So, please enlighten us about your furuor and/or condemnation of the school beyond what has to do with what is taught in the Education System (since I already mentioned this above as a valid point) and you claim what they did wrong is lost on me.

Edited by Nisa

Symbols and costumes only have power over those who choose to let them have power over them or have allowed others to convince them they should. It is absolutely ridiculous for anyone to get worked up over this when it is clear no malice was meant by the kids. School systems are horrible in many parts of the West but if people want to debate how much should be taught about Hitler & the Nazi's, whom Thailand was not directly effected by like so many western nations, then that is great but again something is off if people need to get all emotional, superior and condemning

I'm fairly confident that the Thais at the school are still having a difficult time with the over reaction by some when any reasonable person knows there was absolutely no intent on offending anyone and that this is Thailand and not a nation bombed by Germany or who saw their people slaughtered in death camps by the Nazis.

If only the same people up in arms about this would show the same kind of political correctness and knowledge when it comes to knowing and understanding Thai History and being sensitive to issues most Thai hold dear. Instead, there are many on this site that post condemning blanket remarks about Thais and Thailand in general that any Thai would find offence but the difference is that most Thais are wise enough to simply let it go and move on realizing the problem is with these posters and not themselves.

It astounds me that the very basics of what's wrong with the school's actions are completely lost on you. Although if I am completely honest it astounds me less and less with each of your contributions I read, but honestly. There are apologists, Thai apologists and then a few miles down the road you seem to have set up your own one man blind excuse camp, complete with a massive sandbox to bury your head in.

Please enlighten me how the school had any blame in this. (beyond as I mentioned in terms of education curriculum in Thailand).

The school was unaware of what the kids were going to do and even if they were, it appears most of the teachers were clueless as to how this would be taken (again, education as I mentioned)

It is tradition to keep the dress secret until the day of the event. It has been stated over and over again, the kids did this on their own.

And based on the reports, it appears only the expats there (including teachers) were even aware of the offence some people might take once the kids did put on their display. (again goes to education as I mentioned earlier)

So, I can only see the expat teachers being to blame here (unless we are talking about Thai education curriculum as I mentioned previously).

The school and students have both apologized for the event and made clear no ill intent was meant. The Isreal embassy has accepted the apology and is understanding of how it happened and that the Thai Education Curriculum (as I stated above) in much of Asia (not just Thailand) is the blame.

So, please enlighten us about your furuor and/or condemnation of the school beyond what has to do with what is taught in the Education System (since I already mentioned this above as a valid point) and you claim what they did wrong is lost on me.

It says a lot of a school when the teachers are not aware what is happening in it.

pic2.jpg

Ok so by your understanding it isn't an international school, yet it is marketing itself as an international school? So they are false advertising then, and marketing themselves as something they are not. Dear oh dear, is there no end to this school's lies and depict?

Are you really this incapable of comprehending simple words and statements or just extremely determined to maintain your condemnation despite facts and/or logic?

Well that was a surprisingly long if not enjoyable rant. You would have saved yourself a lot of time by realising that you have answered your question in the first two lines. The fact that the educational curriculum in Thailand is so poor that they did not realise the results of their actions is most obviously to blame here as you so eloquently described. Along with the fact that the most senior teachers and adminstrators of the school happily let them continue their parade once they had seen what the kids had 'drummed up all on their own' is another identifier of just how clueless the school authority obviously is.

You can go on kidding yourselves that all these uniforms, banners and flags were all put together by kids with none of the teachers knowing about it, but between you, me and the rest of the free world thats just the teachers making excuses and skirting responsibility in good old Thai style and only a moron or a liar would claim otherwise

It says a lot of a school when the teachers are not aware what is happening in it.

They were aware of what happened at the school when it was happening. However, it is a tradition to keep their dress and theme secret. similar things happen at schools throughout the west. Again, had they known then it would have not probably raised an eyebrow anyway given this part of world history is not really covered here (as I already stated). Outside of addressing the Thai education curriculum (as I've already stated as a valid issue), I can only see holding the expat teachers responsible (but find this a stretch too) since they are aware of the offense some people might feel about the costumes.

Are you really this incapable of comprehending simple words and statements or just extremely determined to maintain your condemnation despite facts and/or logic?

I'm just repeating exactly what you wrote. While I admit it is difficult to comprehend what YOU write from time to time, I would have hoped at least you would have had a grasp on what you are trying to communicate.

And you avoided answering my question to boot...

It is beyond rational belief that some adults didn't know what was being cooked up, including some adult faculty. Also, of course, once it became known to more people, and remember some foreign faculty voiced open concern but were told to back off -- this is OK in Thailand --, it absolutely should have been called out completely. That part is definitely the school's administration blunder. No, it isn't the crime of the century, but lets not be naive about this either.

Edited by Jingthing

Well that was a surprisingly long if not enjoyable rant. You would have saved yourself a lot of time by realising that you have answered your question in the first two lines. The fact that the educational curriculum in Thailand is so poor that they did not realise the results of their actions is most obviously to blame here as you so eloquently described.

But I already stated that the Education Curriculum was a valid debate BEFORE you wrote to me "It astounds me that the very basics of what's wrong with the school's actions are completely lost on you. "

So, please enlighten us about your furuor and/or condemnation of the school

Not a condemnation exactly, but there was considerable surprise that the Thai teachers at the school had no idea why the uniforms and actions caused such revulsion among foreign parents. Being an 'international' school, you would have hoped that the teachers had some knowledge of international history.

And while the swastika might be an ancient symbol of unity, the uniforms the students wore were straight out of the 1930s.

Well it's blindingly obvious isn't it. The person who wrote the English letter also photoshopped the poster. "Jack of all trades and master of none".

Failing that it's a divine papal levitating miracle!

In my experience of private catholic girls schools (and I do have some, in Thailand too). The different colour teams try to keep the costumes etc secret from the other teams. However they will have to get permission from a teacher first for what they are doing. No one in their right mind would let loose a bunch of teenage girls on parade preparations (although in this case they seem to have done that).

The excuse for not knowing about it borders on negligence in my opinion. Its a school its their job to know about it. What else don't they know about?? Shudder to think.

Excellent points Nisa...

However, there are also levels of social responsibility which in this case the teachers chose to ignore.

Teachers are a part of the *'system' which sets an example to our children, if they fail in such blundering manner at such a fundamental level parents are indeed correct to worry.

The main issue before this thread was somewhat side tracked by WW2 scholars is the failure of the teachers to supervise with any intelligence.

Excellent points Nisa...

However, there are also levels of social responsibility which in this case the teachers chose to ignore.

Teachers are a part of the *'system' which sets an example to our children, if they fail in such blundering manner at such a fundamental level parents are indeed correct to worry.

The main issue before this thread was somewhat side tracked by WW2 scholars is the failure of the teachers to supervise with any intelligence.

But if the teachers (Thai) were never taught about how these images could offend, then how can they be blamed? It simply not a part of the Thai (and some other Asian countries) Education Curriculum.

Once things went down, there was probably some confusion if indeed the expat teachers (who probably don't speak much Thai) did try to alert a Thai (who may not be completely fluent in English) in charge of the potential for issues with the students dress. But even if both could communicate perfectly in the same language, it would basically be trying to communicate an entire history lesson in a very short period. Any communication from the expats was probably met with little concern since this is Thailand and am guessing the Thai staff assumed the expat(s) may have been over reacting. Just trying to make some educated assumptions based on what we know but certainly it could have went down with the Thai staff threatening physical harm to the expat staff if they interfered with their Nazi celebration day .... as I know some might feel better believing. rolleyes.gif

I can only see holding the expat teachers responsible

I thought you said it wasn't an international school?

Well you thought and read wrong again as I never said it wasn't.

Does a Thai school teaching English (often done by expats) automatically make it an International School?

Any teacher with half a brain when alerted to the fact that their students were organising a politically themed rally that was likely (actually certainly) going to cause offense; would have stopped it whether they understood the message or not. You don't have to understand the atomic structure to know whether something is appropriate or not. Many teachers in international schools have to deal with multiple nationalities and if they deem something might be inappropriate always best to be on the safe side. That doesn't mean they have to take a degree course in the particular culture. Its called common sense, something that is often sorely lacking.

I suppose now I get "shot down" for saying you should have common sense to educate children!

And with the "International" factor , Pahalathai in fact has an English program. That is a program that teaches a majority of subjects in English. Although it seems they still have no one that can write a correct letter in English. Amazing indeed!

Does a Thai school teaching English (often done by expats) automatically make it an International School?

What makes an international school an international school is not who teaches there but who gives accreditation to the curriculum and testing results.

I feel you are continually avoiding providing a straight answer here. I say its an international school, and you say it isnt but is marketed as one. I ask you whats the difference, and you tell me I can't comprehend whats being written, I then ask for clarification that you dont think its an international school and you then reply with you never said it wasn't even though you had already previously insinuated I was wrong for claiming it was, you then go on to try and point out it isnt (even though you just said you never said it wasn't) because of its limited English program. Dear oh dear. Do you ever give a straight answer to anything?

Although to be honest I'll have to hold my hands up here and admit that you were right and we were wrong all along. We all assumed that the teachers of the school would have been responsible enough to check what 'costumes', banners and flags the children would be using and then had the intelligence, common sense and very basic grasp of world events to know this was highly unsuitable and they would end up writing apologies in pidgin english which would be plastered all over the world's press at a time the PM has just announced Thailands plans to become an international education hub. While you on the otherhand said they are not to blame because they are quite simply clueless victims of a failed education system. Well you were right all along, as everyone involved was quite clearly clueless. Well done, you were right and we were wrong. Way to go superman.

When debating me yesterday, I said it was an international school. In post # 749 Nisa wrote, “What makes you say it is an International School? Only in the last few years did they introduce English Program there?” End of quote.

You meant and I certainly understood you to mean it was not an international school.

A number of these movies dealt little with educating people about the War or were simply fiction.

But the fact is none of them did well in the Box Office in Thailand. The Pianist and Enemy at The Gates don't even list any box office receipts. The others ( Valkyrie, Schindlers List and Inglourious Basterds) averaged, between the three, a total of $475,000 at the Box Office in Thailand. Yet, King Naresuan: Part Three (Thai Movie) grossed $6.7 Million and King Naresuan 4 (Thai Movie), grossed over $5 Million in 2 weeks this past August.

Maybe in future historical films depicting WW2 could include ghosts and farting to garnish the Thai general public's attention?

It's also not true that they were not relative or were fiction but even if so, so what? The content is still accurate in basis even if maybe the characters were possibly fictional.. I forgot another great one based on fact, Daniel Craig in Defiance.

Inglourious Basterds was not pure fiction???????? This and a number the other movies would do little to educate anybody to the horrors of WWII, especially those completely unfamiliar with the subject matter. Most westerners watching a character based Thai movie set in past times would also be unaware if the movie was based on fact or fiction or how much. The also might not even grasp why characters (such as in Inglourious Basterds) would be interested in killing another unknown but familiar faced person (Hitler) except he represented the enemy.

FYI, Defiance barely was released in Thailand and only did $132k at the box office here.

I should have said regardless of whether or not fiction the portrayals of the events of the time are still based on facts of the war..

You keep quoting these wiki numbers on ticket sales in Thailand as if it has any relevance whatsoever to what's being said which it doesn't. It doesn't take into account cable viewers even still is really unrelated and more over just serving to reinforce my point for which I've reiterated numerous times..

It's common in the legal system to try to claim ignorance of the law in defense of one's self to justfy breaking it but any court of law will tell you that "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

I see that every day. Swastikas on their t-shirts, Third Reich helmets and even swastikas tattooed on their arms or hands. When I ask them whether they know what it represents, they answer "fashion!"

They are not aware, not the children nor the parents. How can they be made aware? Very difficult IMO. It does need to be included in their curriculums, at school, but so do many other things.

Why does it need to be taught? In Europe they teach more about the Nazi party and the German/Russian part in the war, in America they teach about the Japanese and in Thailand they teach what the Japanese did in Asia. This is the same throughout the world, you learn more about what happened in your area. You need to stop being so elitist.

I see that every day. Swastikas on their t-shirts, Third Reich helmets and even swastikas tattooed on their arms or hands. When I ask them whether they know what it represents, they answer "fashion!"

They are not aware, not the children nor the parents. How can they be made aware? Very difficult IMO. It does need to be included in their curriculums, at school, but so do many other things.

Why does it need to be taught? In Europe they teach more about the Nazi party and the German/Russian part in the war, in America they teach about the Japanese and in Thailand they teach what the Japanese did in Asia. This is the same throughout the world, you learn more about what happened in your area. You need to stop being so elitist.

In American schools' curriculum regarding the Second WW is I would guess weighted 75% European theater, 25% Pacific theater. I\m guessing largely because the events in the European theater were prelude to The Cold War.

Edited by lannarebirth