Non Immigrant O-A Visa In Uk

Hi

I'm' 57 and considering a Non Immigrant O-A visa but there are a few things I'm not sure of. I've tried 2 emails to ((removed)) at the Thai embassy in London and haven't got a reply. I've sent another to ((removed)) at the embassy and again nothing although I only sent this on Sunday evening so I may still get something. I've tried phoning and ended up with an answering machine. I'd rather have an email reply as at least I'd have a copy of that.

Anyway my questions are:

What type of accounts in the UK are accepted for savings. I have a lot of my money in ISAs and I'm wondering if these are OK as I'd rather not move my money out to another account just yet.

Unexpectedly need to go so I'll do the rest later This is the main one anyway.

Edited by lopburi3
emails removed per forum rules

Suspect it may have to do with the money not being available for banking here or proof of income. If a cash bond then suspect it would be accepted (the "I" looked like it might be "investment" and perhaps market type stocks or bond funds) which I suspect would not be allowed as no guarantee of value.

According to the last part of the attached document from The Royal Thai Consulate at Hull, you need to show a bank statement confirming you are in reciept of a state pension and/or a private pension.

This statement should show a minimum of £900 per month, and can include any income, like rental income etc.

Nothing in there about ISAS, but i think the key word is MONTHLY, so i wouldnt rely on ISAS in calculating the £900

HTH

Penkoprod

Abb.doc

But a cash account rather than the US "IRA" which is often a stock account and can increase or decrease in value?

ISA: Individual Savings Account

Same kind of thing as a fixed term here in Thailand but Tax Free.

Took this from the Nationwide

Withdrawal arrangements: Part withdrawals are not allowed. Early closure will result in a loss of interest. If there is insufficient earned interest, then the amount of the early access charge will be taken from the funds in the account.

Sorry about my semi post earlier. Had to stop suddenly but didn't want to have to start again.

Thanks for the replies so far.

An ISA (Individual Savings Account) is basically just a savings account where you don't pay tax on the interest earned. I don't think the name Individual Savings Account really describes it very well. There are 2 main types: cash and stocks and shares. Mine is cash. Just like a normal savings account it can be fixed term as in the Nationwide one linked to by Lite Beer or what's termed easy access where you can get the money pretty much straight away which is what I have. A reasonable description can be found here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/ISA-guide-savings-without-tax#what

I can't really see why this wouldn't be acceptable as it's basically a savings account, just protected from the tax man. Legally of course. But I'm looking at it logically and most government departments form whatever country rarely work that way.

The reason for using O-A visa route is that I can leave the money here for now and then take time to look into Thai bank accounts later. Some of this is in ISAs and since these avoid tax I'd rather keep them, which I'm able to do if I move abroad although I can't take out any more.

I won't have a pension income but I will have an income of some sort, possibly through rental although this is still being sorted out so as I can meet the 800,000 baht savings requirement I thought this would be the easiest route.

One of the problems I'm having is that some of the information is badly written, some is simply not possible and some is different on embassy or consulate sites.

The Thai embassy in London seems particularly bad.

In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

Does anyone know what this reference letter is. My gf says it shows what money you have in the account but I would have thought the statement does that.

Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard, or New Scotland Yard as it should be from about 1890 is the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police which covers London. As I don't and never have lived there I can't get one from there. Fortunately one of the downloads from Hull explains it better.

Documents as stated in 4 - 8 must be certified by Notary Public or from the competent authority concerned of the country of application.

Bank statement, criminal record and medical record.Last on doesn't apply to me.

Does this mean they don't have to be certified by a Notary Public if they are from the bank, police and doctor. Or maybe I'm not reading this right.

One other area of confusion is where to apply and can this be done by post. London is nearest and Crdiff is not too bad but Hull is more accessible by car. The London embassy site say it can't take postal applications but the consulates can.

Lopburi3: Sorry about the emails. I was just trying to show that I had tried to contact the embassy to get information through the 2 email addresses given and phone but hadn't had any luck.

As said only London. Believe they will want you to sign all documents submitted and to have your signature notarized. Suspect New Scotland Yard acts as central records for criminal records storage and can provide such checks just as FBI does this in the US but admit know little about UK. Medical report is a requirement for all and Embassy should have the form required. I suspect they will want a letter from financial source stating your total deposits as well as copies of statements (this is normal requirement inside Thailand) and banks have a form letter that provides the current total deposit total that a branch manager signs.

In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

Does anyone know what this reference letter is. My gf says it shows what money you have in the account but I would have thought the statement does that.

Submit copies of the ISA's with a Bank letter confirming the amounts and that they are cash accessable.

Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard, or New Scotland Yard as it should be from about 1890 is the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police which covers London. As I don't and never have lived there I can't get one from there. Fortunately one of the downloads from Hull explains it better

Go to your local police station ask them for a police clearance form (explain what you need) they will give you a form to fill in return it to the police and they will send it to Scotland Yard, they then will reply to you direct, give them a few weeks.

Documents as stated in 4 - 8 must be certified by Notary Public or from the competent authority concerned of the country of application.

Bank statement, criminal record and medical record.Last on doesn't apply to me.

Does this mean they don't have to be certified by a Notary Public if they are from the bank, police and doctor. Or maybe I'm not reading this right.

No, once you have all the docs you MUST get them certified by a Notary Solicitor, they won't be accepted otherwise. You need all the docs listed.

One other area of confusion is where to apply and can this be done by post. London is nearest and Crdiff is not too bad but Hull is more accessible by car. The London embassy site say it can't take postal applications but the consulates can.

The OA Visa can Only be applied for in London at the Royal Thai Embassy and Only in Person. (If I remember correctly the morning of day 1 collect 1 or 2 days later).

The Medical Certificate can be downloaded from their website, print and take to your Dr.

Applic Forms there are 2 (again from the site)

Visa App Form & OA Long Stay Form x 3 copies of each. (Apply for OA Multi Entry)

Cost 100GBP

This visa, with a border run and return to Thailand just before the visa expires will give you 2yrs before having to transfer funds to Thailand and having to apply for an extension.

I went thro this 3 yrs ago, if you need anything let me know.

It's quite simple once you get your head around it.

Retirement/ Long stay Visa "O-A"

All the forms needed are on the site

Just click Medical Record for the Medical Form for your Dr

Edited by Tafia

• 3 weeks later...

About 2 weeks ago I posted a reply and then went off to hospital for the day for an operation that has left me a bit sore in a delicate area. I obviously never checked that the post appeared as it's not here now so I'll try to do it again.

Thanks for all the help. I may ask questions again as I go through this since it always helps particularly if someone has actually done it. On a previous thread I asked why it seemed easier to get answers from TV than it is from the embassy and consulate websites. Someone disagreed with me but this has, I think proved me right.

If you look on the Non Imm O-A page on the London Thai embassy site, under the heading CHANNELS TO SUBMIT VISA APPLICATION AND FEE it says:

Applicants can submit their applications at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Consulates in UK and Ireland.

In the Ouestions and answers section #12 regarding retiring in Thailand it says:

You can ONLY apply at the London embassy.

On the How to apply for a Visa page it says:

Please note that the Embassy does not accept visa application submitted by post or courierservice. If you wish to apply for visa by post, please contact one of the Royal Thai Consulates in UK and Ireland

The website for the consulate in Hull which seems quite popular says on its Visas and Downloads page:

The Royal Thai Consulate in Hull provides a comprehensive and speedy visa service.

If you down load the Visa Rules and Regulations document it says:

Tourist Visas and Non Immigrant Visas are available from this consulate by post or in person.

The Visa Application Pack says:

Visas are available only from the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate

And

You can apply by post or in person at the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull

I also emailed the embassy:

I wish to apply for a Non-Immigrant visa "O-A" (Long Stay) but there are three points I am not sure about.

Which types of accounts are acceptable for the 800,000 Baht savings requirement? Part of my savings is in Individual Savings Accounts (ISA) which allow me quick access. Are these types of accounts acceptable?

To confirm the fact I have no criminal record in the UK I can only obtain a Subject Access Request from the police authority in my area and not from Scotland Yard as this only deals with the London area. I believe this is what is normally required.

I'm not sure if I can apply by post and if I can apply at a Royal Thai Consulate.

Many thanks for your help.

The reply:

You have to apply at the Thai embassy in London only.

From this I gather that they do not read their own websites or download forms and don't read emails either.

Thank goodness for Thaivisa. :signthaivisa: