Mozilla Firefox 7.0

Supernova

What's New in Firefox 7.0

The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:

• Drastically improved memory handling for certain use cases
  • Added a new rendering backend to speed up Canvas operations on Windows systems
  • Bookmark and password changes now sync almost instantly when using Firefox Sync
  • The 'http://' URL prefix is now hidden by default
  • Added support for text-overflow: ellipsis
  • Added support for the Web Timing specification
  • Enhanced support for MathML
  • The WebSocket protocol has been updated from version 7 to version 8
  • Added an opt-in system for users to send performance data back to Mozilla to improve future versions of Firefox
  • Fixed several stability issues
  • Fixed several security issues

Download: Firefox 7.0 for Windows

Download: Firefox 7.0 for Linux

Download: Firefox 7.0 for MacOS

View: Firefox Website

Try installing the add-on: Add-On Compatibility Reporter. It will make most of your add-ons compatible with whatever version of FF you're running (it somehow keeps the add-ons from checking the version number). They report "not compatible", but they work just fine!

pisses me off ! continual updates and add-ons are never compatible and lose them, they can shove it !

+1

There is a really, really easy way to update extensions if you have a slight tech ability about you

Download the xpi to your machine

Rename to addon.xpi.zip

Extract the install.rdf and open in notepad

Look for em:maxVersion> and change the value to higher that the browser

Copy the install.rdf file back to addon.xpi.zip

Rename back to .xpi and install

Works on alot of extensions

pisses me off ! continual updates and add-ons are never compatible and lose them, they can shove it !

+1

There is a really, really easy way to update extensions if you have a slight tech ability about you

Rename to addon.xpi.zip

If it's that freaking simple, Firefox should include it in their product if they plan on keeping their market share...life's too short.

+1

Rename to addon.xpi.zip

If it's that freaking simple, Firefox should include it in their product if they plan on keeping their market share...life's too short.

Well whats the alternative, go with IE? that just crap and Chrome cannot even get the basics right like tagging your bookmarks nevermind customisation.

If only FF could sync extensions

Try installing the add-on: Add-On Compatibility Reporter. It will make most of your add-ons compatible with whatever version of FF you're running (it somehow keeps the add-ons from checking the version number). They report "not compatible", but they work just fine!

This indeed works just fine, and I also did this: http://kb.mozillazin...s_compatibility

(I changed all versions from 6 to 15, this would keep everything working well till about December :whistling:)

Edited by MJCM

I can't find a folder called addon?

It could be because there isn't one.

Are you looking for your extension xpi files? If so, there are in the Extensions folder of your Firefox profile folder.

The easiest way to locate you profile with Firefox 3.6 and above,. You can open your profile folder directly from the Firefox Help menu, as follows:

1. In the Firefox menu bar, click "Help" and select "Troubleshooting Information". The about:support page will open.
  2. Under "Application Basics", click on "Open Containing Folder" (Windows and Linux) or "Show in Finder" (Mac OS).
  3. Click on the extensions folder, all the installed extension xpi files are there.

Or if you want to browse to it using Windows Explorer:

1. To find you Firefox profile folder enter: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles in the Windows Explorer window location bar or for Vista/Windows 7, the search bar.
  2. Click on any of the profiles (e.g., xxxxxxxx.default) to open it with Windows Explorer.
  3. Click on the extensions folder, all the installed extension xpi files are there

This link gives more details in finding your Firefox profile folder:

http://kb.mozillazin...older_-_Firefox

Edited by BB1950

Another hand raised. Sticking with the 3.xxx.xxx versions until another version is ready for the world.

I use a bunch of add-ons that have become so much a part of my way of doing things that I don't see why I have to give them up just for the sake of the shiny, new version.

I stopped looking a few months back after several updates, after which I reverted to 3 each time.

What's pretty telling, I think, is that now version 7.xx is out, and a lot of the add-ons are still back in version 3. I thought the latest buzz was about version 8. Seems a groundswell of users are refusing to budge from 3, which I guess is why version 3 is still being maintained. Maybe they plan a Microsoft, announcing they will no longer retain 3, thus forcing users to go to a higher number. It would be a bad move, as many of us will probably go to another browser. I have Chrome portable installed, but the add-ins available seem meager. Opera is looking good.

I downloaded and tried v7 on my MacBook Air... As usual it locks up regularly and requires reboot...

I will return to version 3.6 which is the ONLY stable version I have found that will not lock up on a regular basis!

Edited by sfokevin

I am installing all my programmes on a new computer and took your advice

and have installed FF3.6 and all is running well.

I don't care about memory usage as I have 8Gb on board.

I even have my old friend Forecast Fox running again. :thumbsup:

Edited by somchai69