Thailand To Become A Hub For International Education

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can take a momentary break for the laughter, I'd like to point out a few small things:

1. Thailand (from last year's stats; not sure yet about this year) was FIFTH in the world in the International Math Olympiad (against about 100 or so other countries including native English-speaking countries, Europe, richer places in Asia, etc.).

2. Thailand (from this year's stats) has SECOND place in the International Physics Olympiad.

3. When one visits stockholders meetings of Thai companies- where most of the members present are Thai- and sees credentials for board members, etc., they all seem to have gone to VERY good universities outside Thailand after graduating from high schools.

4. Every year I and other teachers I know manage to send a few students to some of the best schools in the world.

As I've pointed out on other similar threads, you can't generalise about Thai schools (or virtually anything else here) without being wrong. Yes, the bulk of the schools leave much to be desired and the system is archaic; however, *many* of the schools are achieving at very respectable levels internationally, even beating first-world countries.

I would argue with the premise of the main thread that such schools as ARE so successful are too oversubscribed for them to work well as a draw for trade dollars, but that's not arguing with the quality of some of the schools.

Yes, but keep in mind that in the U.S., for example, compulsory education (which really does mean compulsory) means that all the high school students are represented in such international testing, while in Thailand, far from all students go to high school. In fact, although compulsory up through the 7th year, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of children begging in the streets of Bangkok on school days during school hours.

If we can take a momentary break for the laughter, I'd like to point out a few small things:

1. Thailand (from last year's stats; not sure yet about this year) was FIFTH in the world in the International Math Olympiad (against about 100 or so other countries including native English-speaking countries, Europe, richer places in Asia, etc.).

2. Thailand (from this year's stats) has SECOND place in the International Physics Olympiad.

3. When one visits stockholders meetings of Thai companies- where most of the members present are Thai- and sees credentials for board members, etc., they all seem to have gone to VERY good universities outside Thailand after graduating from high schools.

4. Every year I and other teachers I know manage to send a few students to some of the best schools in the world.

As I've pointed out on other similar threads, you can't generalise about Thai schools (or virtually anything else here) without being wrong. Yes, the bulk of the schools leave much to be desired and the system is archaic; however, *many* of the schools are achieving at very respectable levels internationally, even beating first-world countries.

I would argue with the premise of the main thread that such schools as ARE so successful are too oversubscribed for them to work well as a draw for trade dollars, but that's not arguing with the quality of some of the schools.

Yes, but keep in mind that in the U.S., for example, compulsory education (which really does mean compulsory) means that all the high school students are represented in such international testing, while in Thailand, far from all students go to high school. In fact, although compulsory up through the 7th year, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of children begging in the streets of Bangkok on school days during school hours.

there is scores of kids playing now in the swimming pool outside my house and they are there often in daytime so there doesnt seem much pressure on them to get an education

(more than likely their dad is rich and they will continue whatever business he does now when they are old enough )kids roaming bangkok selling flowers at midnight in tourist areas is normal also

police + social services would confiscate any young child begging or selling flowers at midnight in the west and the parents would be in serious trouble

sadly basic education is not a priority in thailand yet

Hubba-hubba.

We got yer hubs, we got yer crackdowns!! Step right up, come on to Thailand!!

Amazing Land of Smiling Hubs and Crackdowns!

(Play "Happy Days Are Here Again")

And you thought the Golden Days had passed when Prime Minister Thaksin found greener hubs and felt personal crackdowns!!

Well...think again.

We're hubbing as we speak!

And are 12 dead sailors floating in the Mekong a reminder of the Glory Days? Was it part of a crackdown?

You be the judge, just come on to Thailand!

Amazing Land of Smiling Hubs and Crackdowns!