Dell Latitude Notebook

mrbojangles

Hi Guys and gals

I've got a Dell Latitude Notebook, Model L400 that is configured to NT. I want to delete everything from it and start again from scratch but using XP.

My question is:- Do i have to buy another Mother Board or can i buy a program that eradicates everything and then buy another version Windows XP and simply install it? Or is it just not worth doing it?

I also have a normal PC with XP but want to use this, for use on the road.

Cheers

MrBoJ

Edited by mrbojangles

hi mr bo just take it into a computer shop and tell them what you want and 'bobs ya uncle fannys ya aunt' its done.

they will probably have to log onto the dell website for drivers but dell keep even the old stuff available.

allan

Toptastic, thanks alot allan :o

i thought i'd have to have a rebuild or something like that

Been there, done that :D - except I went from Windows 98 to XP. :o No problems whatsoever - just upgraded the operating system from a CD. My Dell was a Latitude CPxJ650GT. It would help putting more than 256 MB of RAM in, if you can.

I had my English Dell notebook upgraded ( more like downgraded) to XP to accommodate my GRPS card. No problem at all except that when it came back it was all in Thai. Most of it is simply deciferable as working in the same place,same way, but beware, some things are back to front. ie on English ' do you want to save' in Thai is 'delete'

No need for a new motherboard, BUT

do check Dell support to see if they have all the XP versions of drivers for your laptop.

Without these you may end up with a partially working machine.

Edited by astral

do check Dell support to see if they have all the XP versions of drivers for your laptop.

If you ring the DELL service center they will also arrange to pick your notebook up [for a small fee] change it to what you want, bring it back and the chap will even show you all the changes they have made ... great service from DELL.

They just repaied a few boxes we had here 3years into use, in this manner and changed for *nix to XP on them.

Sorry Astral,

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to IT. Why do i have to call Dell? Doesn't the XP installation disc do all that for me? And what do the Drivers do, are they for the Floppy and CD drives etc?

Cheers

MrBoJ

MrBoJ - Once you have a WindowsXP CD, follow:

1. with windows already running - put the XP CD into the drive

2. wait for Welcome to XP window

3. click Check System Compatabillity

4. chose either option depending on whether your online or not

Once this is all done - you will be shown a report of what will work what wont - make your decission to upgrade, backup or data transfer onto a CD-R etc and reboot with XP CD in drive. Follow on-screen instructions to format and rebuild.

Any problems feel free to PM me.

PS you may be better off doing the upgrade directly from the CD whilst running windows - depending how confident you are.

PPS - additional memory will always help your cause - especially in the case of XP

PPPS - dont forget, once done, to Service Pack it to SP2 plus all the critical updates.

Sorry Astral,

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to IT. Why do i have to call Dell? Doesn't the XP installation disc do all that for me? And what do the Drivers do, are they for the Floppy and CD drives etc?

Cheers

MrBoJ

Dell may have used an unusal device for the modem, or lan card or something

similar, that need a special driver to support them.

However the post after my previous one tells you how to check.

So you should be OK.

More likely to be a problem on a desktop where you can add all sorts of extra boards.

I have had this problem when loading Linux on my notebook.

Admittedly a different OS, but the same basic exercise.

Edited by astral

Sorry Astral,

Cheers

MrBoJ

Dell may have used an unusal device for the modem, or lan card or something

similar, that need a special driver to support them.

However the post after my previous one tells you how to check.

So you should be OK.

More likely to be a problem on a desktop where you can add all sorts of extra boards.

I have had this problem when loading Linux on my notebook.

Admittedly a different OS, but the same basic exercise.