Contolled Internet Access At Apartments

justcruisin

I live in an apartment with free cabled internet to every room. Up until today it was a simple matter of turn on com and the internet is there.

Today the office issued passwords to everyone so that they can log in to the provided internet.

A check with the office and it was stated that it is a goverment requirement that only apartments where farang reside have to do this.

Today when you turn on com and open a website it auto transfers to another server and then requres a login password individually specified for every room.

This is very concerning as, then that server is viewed by a third party and can see everthing that you are doing, including internet banking.

I dont think this is right. My download speed check has gone down from 5.9 MPS/.4 up on Saturday to .38/.13 MPS this evening which seems to confirm it is being re-directed

Am I being paronoid or is this a threat to my internet security.

A couple things:

Today the office issued passwords to everyone so that they can log in to the provided internet.

A check with the office and it was stated that it is a goverment requirement that only apartments where farang reside have to do this.

That seems unlikely, but ok. Thai IT laws are pretty draconian, but they don't make a difference based on nationality.

Today when you turn on com and open a website it auto transfers to another server and then requres a login password individually specified for every room. This is very concerning as, then that server is viewed by a third party and can see everthing that you are doing, including internet banking.

This is not correct:

* Your bank's site will very likely (certain, actually) be encrypted. You will notice this from the https:// .... in the URL, and depending on your browser there will be an indication in green or blue that the site is secure. That means that nobody can see information to and from the site while it's in transit.

* Having this log-in page doesn't actually alter the security situation: also in the old situation, your internet provider was very capable of eavesdropping on any non-ecrypted site that you visit.

I dont think this is right. My download speed check has gone down from 5.9 MPS/.4 up on Saturday to .38/.13 MPS this evening which seems to confirm it is being re-directed

Am I being paronoid or is this a threat to my internet security.

That is too low; there is something wrong in that case. But that's a performance issue, not a security issue. Either way you can get internet through other means, such as 3G cell internet, other WiFi providers that may be in your area, and you may be able to get your own ADSL connection if you have a direct phone line in your condo.

EDIT: Also note that there are ways to make sure nobody can eavesdrop on ANY site you visit, encrypted or not. I cannot tell you how on the forum though as it's against the rules.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I would also like to know how many other apartments have this system in place. It has really slowed down the system.I recall a couple of years ago the management here put in a similiar log-in in system,it was a govt requirement for 6 months as I recall (as they stated) but also was a TV forum topic back then..If they can not view usage patterns I wonder about the purpose of doing it.The server owner can still monitor the majority of non- encrypted websites, so is this done by a goverment or is it something the building management want for there own use?

I would assume that it's a government thing, so that the users can better be identified if they are found to be doing something naughty like downloading very naughty pics, or posting stuff on forums that the govt doesn't want :ph34r:

Perhaps the old system didn't identify individual rooms.

The new system sounds similar to what's standard in hotels (for billing purposes).

I have a room specific login at my apartment. I use Tor browser, a couple proxies and a VPN, all to hide what I do online.

I dont do anything shady, it just makes me feel safe. I also like to use my Netflix and other streaming media not available outside the good ole U S of A.

1) they cant see what your doing over an HTTPS connection, its encrypted between your browser and the server and thats any financial site worth talking about..

2) solve the problem with a VPN.

Unfortunately because of silly Thailand rules that last one cant be discussed in detial on ThaiVisa.

Sounds incredibly worrying.

Personally I wouldn't accept it without a fight. I would at least ask very politely what regulation your apartment owner claims to be complying with?

All seems incredibly fishy. One apartment owner out of the blue implementing some mystery "law", aimed at separating foreign and local Internet usage ....

What I do know is apartment owners do not add to their costs unnecessarily, and this kind of system would undoubtedly add to costs, both in implementation and upkeep.

So something is going on. They are either being forced to do it by some "entity", or believe they will somehow profit from doing it.

I suggest you try to find out as much as you can. Ask the apartment block owner for full details.

Even the idea of somehow separating Internet usage between Thais and foreigners is ridiculous in the extreme .... 3G, wi-fi, shared usage etc. Is this April 1st? :)

Oh, and also make sure you aren't being targeted individually for some reason. Make sure other farangs in the block have same system ........

Edited by pete66

Any website you go to can easily see where you have been or where you are going if you use the same browser window.

That term is simply called 'tracking', and whether or not you allow this is your choice. Web tracking can be turned off now in modern browsers, at least with Firefox it can. From your menu bar goto:

Tools/Options/Privacy/Tracking - from the Privacy tab, make sure there's a tick (check for you Yankees), in the box under tracking, which says: Tell websites i do not want to be tracked. Perfectly legal and totally up to the user whether he or she wants other websites following their tracks in cyberspace.

Aitch

I use Firefox and see no tracking tick(check) box as you suggest per instructions.

Unfortunately, over 85% of people who use computers fail to keep any of their software up to date, and that includes internet browsers & security software . If people took more time to learn about these things then the spammers, scammers, and virus crooks wouldn't be thriving like they do.

I can assure you FF has this options as per my instructions. Here's a screen-print I prepared earlier (see attached) ;)

Aitch

post-13665-0-36325100-1317375398_thumb.p

Edited by Drew Aitch

Thailand does have a rule that records of all websites used be logged for all users and kept for several months. I believe it is the Cybercrime Act. Internet cafes are supposed to and many do write down your ID pr passport and the time and log all trafic. The condo is acting as an ISP and is required to keep these logs.

Personally I wouldn't accept it without a fight. I would at least ask very politely what regulation your apartment owner claims to be complying with?

All seems incredibly fishy. One apartment owner out of the blue implementing some mystery "law", aimed at separating foreign and local Internet usage ....

What I do know is apartment owners do not add to their costs unnecessarily, and this kind of system would undoubtedly add to costs, both in implementation and upkeep.

So something is going on. They are either being forced to do it by some "entity", or believe they will somehow profit from doing it.

I suggest you try to find out as much as you can. Ask the apartment block owner for full details.

Even the idea of somehow separating Internet usage between Thais and foreigners is ridiculous in the extreme .... 3G, wi-fi, shared usage etc. Is this April 1st? :)

Oh, and also make sure you aren't being targeted individually for some reason. Make sure other farangs in the block have same system ........

My apartment in Bkk provides an 'in-house' internet set-up, no extra charge. Until about 2 months ago every room had to use their room number as a log-in code, but suddenly (no advice) it changed and it's now automatically on when I start up my notebook.

Thailand does have a rule that records of all websites used be logged for all users and kept for several months. I believe it is the Cybercrime Act. Internet cafes are supposed to and many do write down your ID pr passport and the time and log all trafic. The condo is acting as an ISP and is required to keep these logs.

Are you saying this is just for foreigners or for everyone?

Regardless, another Thai joke. I live in walking distance of 100 internet cafes, I bet there isn't a single one that cares about my passport or logs traffic. Not to mention all the mobile browsing that goes on these days on phones where the Thai government doesn't know who the owner of the phone is ...... or the thousands of apartments / condos that don't log anything at all .... or the people that use the net via VPN, Tor, or other proxy systems.

Not to mention the many thousands of wi-fi access points across the country? Anybody been asked for their passport in Starbucks when you access the net there?

Love to see this ass of a law written down somewhere - anyone got a link?

Edited by pete66

My apartment in Bkk provides an 'in-house' internet set-up, no extra charge. Until about 2 months ago every room had to use their room number as a log-in code, but suddenly (no advice) it changed and it's now automatically on when I start up my notebook.

Sounds like they have gone to completely unlocked wi-fi i.e. everyone in range can access it, no password required. Probably got tired of password admin :)

I use Firefox and see no tracking tick(check) box as you suggest per instructions.

Unfortunately, over 85% of people who use computers fail to keep any of their software up to date, and that includes internet browsers & security software . If people took more time to learn about these things then the spammers, scammers, and virus crooks wouldn't be thriving like they do.

I can assure you FF has this options as per my instructions. Here's a screen-print I prepared earlier (see attached) ;)

Aitch

Jesus, all you had to do was tell me to update. Don't have to be a prick about it.:angry:

Love to see this ass of a law written down somewhere - anyone got a link?

Section 26. A service provider must store computer traffic data for at least ninety days from the date on which the data is input into a computer system. However, if necessary, a relevant competent official may instruct a service provider to store data for a period of longer than ninety days but not exceeding one year on a special case by case basis or on a temporary basis.

The service provider must keep the necessary information of the service user in order to be able to identify the service user from the beginning of the service provision, and such information must be kept for a further period not exceeding ninety days after the service agreement has been terminated.

The types of service provider to whom the provisions under paragraph one shall apply and the timing of this application shall be established by a Minister and published in the Government Gazette.

A service provider who fails to comply with this Section must be subject to a fine of not more than five hundred thousand baht.

Thailand Computer Crime Act 2007

Expanding on the above:

At first many companies seemed to believe that the definition of service providers under the Act only meant ‘Internet Service Providers (ISPs)’. But the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MICT) issued a Notification on Criteria Concerning Archiving of Computer Traffic Data of Service Providers on August 21, 2007, which provided technical clarifications to the Computer Crime Act (CCA) regarding the various categories of Internet service and content providers and how the requirements of the CCA apply to them.

The Notification distinguishes between five categories of service providers as follows:

1-telecommunication and broadcast carriers (such as CAT);

2-access service providers;

3-hosting service providers;

4-Internet shop operators and;

5-content and application service providers.

As a result of such clarification, it appears that ‘service providers’ include ‘access service providers’ (category 2); that is to say, any type of business providing access to Internet or computer communication.

Director-Thailand.com

And more:

Storage – Hotels; Condominiums; Public internet access

Under the CCA any service provider is further obliged to store computer traffic data for at least ninety days. In exceptional circumstances defined in the CCA the data must be stored for up to a year.

Any organisation or business which has a website or provides access to the internet for their employees or customers is subject to this specific responsibility and must be in a position to provide internet-related records to authorised officials as they investigate computer related crimes. Also hotels, apartment complexes and condominiums that provide internet access to the public or their employees have the responsibility to ensure that proper records are kept. Any of the aforesaid businesses should therefore review their policies, procedures and technologies to ensure they comply with the CCA.

Internet Security

Is this enough? :D

Expanding on the above:

At first many companies seemed to believe that the definition of service providers under the Act only meant ‘Internet Service Providers (ISPs)’. But the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MICT) issued a Notification on Criteria Concerning Archiving of Computer Traffic Data of Service Providers on August 21, 2007, which provided technical clarifications to the Computer Crime Act (CCA) regarding the various categories of Internet service and content providers and how the requirements of the CCA apply to them.

The Notification distinguishes between five categories of service providers as follows:

1-telecommunication and broadcast carriers (such as CAT);

2-access service providers;

3-hosting service providers;

4-Internet shop operators and;

5-content and application service providers.

As a result of such clarification, it appears that ‘service providers’ include ‘access service providers’ (category 2); that is to say, any type of business providing access to Internet or computer communication.

Director-Thailand.com

And more:

Storage – Hotels; Condominiums; Public internet access

Under the CCA any service provider is further obliged to store computer traffic data for at least ninety days. In exceptional circumstances defined in the CCA the data must be stored for up to a year.

Any organisation or business which has a website or provides access to the internet for their employees or customers is subject to this specific responsibility and must be in a position to provide internet-related records to authorised officials as they investigate computer related crimes. Also hotels, apartment complexes and condominiums that provide internet access to the public or their employees have the responsibility to ensure that proper records are kept. Any of the aforesaid businesses should therefore review their policies, procedures and technologies to ensure they comply with the CCA.

Internet Security

Is this enough? :D

Thanks. Just confirms what I always thought. Thai lawmakers live in cloud cuckoo land ..............

So 7-11 are breaking the law when they sell me Internet time on my 3G phone without asking for my passport, and should be fined up to 500K every time? The law is an ass.

Thankyou Twais and all the other posters, This has cleared things up a bit.

It could be a very good earner for the Govt. to impose the 500,000 fine on the 100's of thousands of apartment blocks that have internet supplied and no records kept.

I wonder if I had my own internet provider, for example 3bbb to my room, then I would cicumvent this imposition or do they have their own login and recording of traffic?

They are an ISP. To access their services, you would need login+password, so your activities would be traceable directly.

But of course the government won't fine anyone. They never have. The law is stupid and impossible to implement. It was only enacted for "Thai reasons we can't discuss".

Edited by pete66