Part Time Teacher

janverbeem

I'm care taker for a 7 year old Thai/European boy and looking for a part time english native teacher to teach the most important subjects.

The boy is smart enough but a bit slow and easily distracted.I enrolled him for the past 3 years at a private bilingual school but consider it a waste of money as this kind of school is not suited to give him the special care he needs and it is a long travel time every day which makes it even worse for him.

What I want to try now is enroll him at the nearest government school so he still has contact with other Thai children of his age and have him additionally extra classes at home either 1-2 days a week or the hours spread over 5 days.I know I can take him to one of those speciallity schools but don't have the financial sources for that.

As I said,he's not a relative of me but with my financial support I hope to give him a chance on a future by providing a decent education.If anyone is able to help me out with this or can point me in the right direction,please post it here or send me PM.

I'm located in Pattaya near the Regents school.

Bangkok. No, I'm serious.

I am not impressed by any 'international' school in Pattaya or the staff who work there, after having had some contact with those students. I will freely admit that I pretty much believe all the negative stereotypes about Pattaya and the people who choose to live there; and if your primary concern were the education and well being of a child in your care, my first recommendation would be: relocate.

In any case, I don't know any teachers based in Pattaya whatsoever, and wouldn't recommend them if I did.

Good luck.

I have sent you a PM.

Thanks a lot for your PM Asiacat,it is much appreciated.

On another note,I placed an ad on a certain site to ask for a native English teacher and got the following reply

hello my name khun david .

hi i just speake to you the mobile phone ,

i would like you to express my interest in teaching the student privately

if this is of interest to you please reply !!

kind regards

khun david

Do you think I should take Khun David's resume in consideration?This guy is in fact an English native and claims to have a teaching license in Thailand.

I have sent you a PM.

On another note,I placed an ad on a certain site to ask for a native English teacher and got the following reply

kind regards

khun david

Do you think I should take Khun David's resume in consideration?This guy is in fact an English native and claims to have a teaching license in Thailand.

Sure! Snap him up! Looks like a keeper!..

I'd give Khun David a call. He may have written it on an iphone or he may have a reasonable excuse. Then again, what you see might be what you get.

You think the Iphone will be the reason?Got another mail from him yesterday.

" i am presently in my country wales u.k

i will be returning to thai on oct 20 and stayaing at soi bakau ?? "

To be honest, I got many reactions on my ad for a native English speaking teacher and I feel really sorry that I have to say that 90 percent of the people who replied would for sure not be allowed within a 100 meter range of a school for one or another reason.

I'm ashamed to see how many foreigners come here and claim to have teaching abilities and see from their resume that they had more different professions in their life than their age counts years.

From the other side,I have to admit that there were a few with which I was really impressed.

I don't know the reason for his inappropriate use of English. I do know in hiring people as teachers, that the initial inquiries do not always come in a form or format that is indicative of their knowledge of the language. One communication is established in an appropriate venue, whether it is email or by telephone, then my expectations change. That is also true on this forum. For example, there are differences between US/European keyboards on computers.

I am not inclined to argue the point. Who you pursue as a teacher is your business. Unless there is a good reason for the mistakes and it's given very soon, then it would seem that what you are seeing is what you will get.

Best of luck.

I don't know the reason for his inappropriate use of English. I do know in hiring people as teachers, that the initial inquiries do not always come in a form or format that is indicative of their knowledge of the language. One communication is established in an appropriate venue, whether it is email or by telephone, then my expectations change. That is also true on this forum. For example, there are differences between US/European keyboards on computers.

I am not inclined to argue the point. Who you pursue as a teacher is your business. Unless there is a good reason for the mistakes and it's given very soon, then it would seem that what you are seeing is what you will get.

Best of luck.

The only difference I know about on a US/European keyboard is the positioning of the letters "Z" and "Y".

To the Op, many people are scammers out there, I would not take Khun Davids' offer up at all.

Sadly it does rather highlight the fact that all parties involved seem to have little idea of education from the guardian to certainly it seems from some of he applicants, a child needs a settled educational environment to grow and develop.

Where the child may be challenged in one area you often find excellent results in another area.. A good teacher will work to bring that child up to the year level. This takes time,children need time in a school environment.School time is school time and child is among his or her peers. Home schooling is a solitary matter, thus there is no stimulation or competition which for kids is essential fun.

Give the child time, give the child some of your time,

Sadly it does rather highlight the fact that all parties involved seem to have little idea of education from the guardian to certainly it seems from some of he applicants, a child needs a settled educational environment to grow and develop.

Where the child may be challenged in one area you often find excellent results in another area.. A good teacher will work to bring that child up to the year level. This takes time,children need time in a school environment.School time is school time and child is among his or her peers. Home schooling is a solitary matter, thus there is no stimulation or competition which for kids is essential fun.

Give the child time, give the child some of your time,

I'm well aware of that,and that is the reason why I will keep him in a Thai school and have him additionally taught at home by a teacher as I'm not qualified to teach.

By all means get the child into a reasonable school but do keep tabs on what he is learning there and try to find out what kind of class he has been placed in. Is there a native speaker teaching him in the school ? have a word with him/her and if you feel ok with them they might oblige and offer the child additional tuition.

As for Khun David, I don't know as it comes over as the ramblings of someone who is not aufait with English let alone teaching it. As previously mentioned it could just be text speak on an iphone or whatever but I would put it on the back burner under the label 'desperate' and look elsewhere.

Good luck wink.gif

About khun David: "As previously mentioned it could just be text speak on an iphone or whatever but I would put it on the back burner under the label 'desperate' and look elsewhere."

That is a succinct way of expressing my sentiments as well.

Good advice.

I'm a qualified female teacher (BA in education). I've been teaching children (3-14) English, Mathematics, Science, Computer etc. at their homes in Pattaya/Rayong for over 10 years.

Before I worked at a private school in Pattaya but that was a waste of energy and the school was not worth the money parents had to pay.

I'm non-native English but it became my second language. Please send me a PM if you're in need of a homeschool teacher for your child. I'll take care of all materials needed.

Nobody who can offer any advise as where to look for a teacher?

I have sent you a PM.

kind regards

khun david

Don't focus to much on NATIVE English, better focus on English Speaking TEACHERS. :jap:

The messages were send by email.

But could still be sent by an Iphone or some other Internet capable phone yes?

Not disagreeing mind you as you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression..

Edited by WarpSpeed