Leaving Uk With Hard Cash ...

This has come up several times previously in which I have contributed to the thread having had cash removed/confiscated previously at 1012 sterling at Heathrow in 2009

Absolute maximum leaving from UK airspace without clear proof of where the cash comes from is 1000 sterling (not 10,000)

Just watching an up to date custom/excise programme in UK.

This obviously applies if you're stopped in the first place or via money dogs ! You get 3 months to redeem your situation.

Case of ensuring that if you leave with hard cash of 1k plus you need to provide evidence of origin to make your flight (with money) if asked to do so.

Edited by Chivas

I got picked out by a money dog at Heathrow (around 4 years ago), I got chatting to a Customs lady while I was waiting to be sniffed by the dog and I queried "Why are you checking for things going out, Thought your job was checking for things coming in", She explained they are looking for money.. I told her I had 2000 GBP in my pocket and she said not to worry the limit was something like 7000 GBP (Cant remember the exact figure).. The dog picked me out and I showed the money and they let me past with no questions asked.

Edited by Satcommlee

I am wondering why not transfer before hand via Bangkok Bank?

Or if cash is the only option for various reasons why not use travelers checks?

The dogs would not smell those :)

Off the record couldn't agree more.

In my case I had 1000 sterling (apologies no pound sign on this keyboard) wrapped securely wih clear implication that it was for medical use only (I had cancer previously) and the money was always a back up to provide a one way economy ticket home from anywhere in the world.

No problem sir-we'll have it.

Sounds ludicrous ?? Me to, and had the money finally confiscated after not being able to provide 1k wihdrawal from a bank.

C/E have always been noted as one of the most vicious UK agencys.

Maybe they were drug sniffing dogs and went off on a pack of cash that had the remnants of other distinct odors? Or perhaps an individual traveler was scrutinized because of past "incidents"?

Seems like "cash sniffing dogs" would go off on everyone going through security since I know very few people who travel with no cash at all and dogs would have a hard time differentiating between 10x 1 pound notes and 10x 100 pound notes....

Besides, a lot of cash now has RFID tags embedded and you don't need dogs- just the same kind of detectors that go off when something is stolen from a supermarket.

Something's missing from the story.

As a practical matter, I carry some emergency funds in the form of a pre-paid debit card. It can be used in ATM"s worldwide to get cash- without the hassle of changing currencies- albeit at a lousy rate and high fees. And unlike cash or travelers checks, I can book a discount airline ticket online and usually get a much cheaper ticket than I can in person using cash.

Edited by impulse

10 x 1 or 10x 100 pound notes. ????

Now that would cause a problem,,,,:cheesy:.......(for those that dont know, UK doesnt make 1 pound or 100 pound notes, the lowest note is 5 and highest denomination is 50)

Edited by CharlieH

Now that would cause a problem,,,,:cheesy:.......(for those that dont know, UK doesnt make 1 pound or 100 pound notes, the lowest note is 5 and highest denomination is 50)

Sorry the UK includes Scotland, and they produce a 100GBP note.

Its not surprising the airport officials are trying to keep money in the UK. That country is almost broke isnt it ?

I think we are hard pressed to name a country that is not broke these days :)

Exiting the US via international flights is just as bad.

No dogs sniffing that I have seen...Instead they have gorillas in customs uniforms asking you point blank as you enter that section of the airport for departure....

do you have more than 10k USD cash on you?

Last time through I made the mistake of getting cut off in line from my wife.

So she was 2 customers in front of me in line. The gorilla asked her & she said...

Just me or my husband & I combined?

Well that was that & he said ok now your suspect please step out of the line.

Luckily I was near & went over...he said your wife said...blah blah...& now I am suspicious

...Do you have more than 10k cash? I said yes whats the problem.

He said you need to fill out this form. :rolleyes:

I said yes we know & this is where we do it after entry to this section right?

He said yes........ :ermm:

Ah to feel so protected in my country of birth gives me a warm fuzzy feeling

Edited by flying

Sorry the UK includes Scotland, and they produce a 100GBP note.

1_000_000__jn.jpg

DirectGov seems to think otherwise, and they should know.

They have to know their arse from their elbow 1st !!! ;)

The 5th paragraph of THIS PAGE tells a different story:

Anyone leaving the UK with more than £1,000 in cash must provide evidence if the source and intended use of the money, or it may be detained. This is to prevent the proceeds of criminality being hidden in bank accounts and other assets overseas, and to prevent the theft of money from the public purse through unpaid tax.

The £10,000 figure bandied about is what has to be DECLARED, via form filling.

Anything above "just" £1000 needs to have evidence supporting the fact that its yours, and people like the police and customs are entitled to ask questions, should one be carrying £1000 or more, entering or leaving the country.

Penkoprod

Exactly Darrel,

This is what is farcical about this. Couldn't agree more with you.

However unfortunately the court decided I had no DIRECT proof (which was true)and confiscated the 1012 pound.

I should add that that limit is in and out of the UK.

Subsequently I withdrew another 1k from the bank and wrapped the receipt around the money.

These customs shows are compulsive viewing sometimes.

They have to know their arse from their elbow 1st !!! ;)

The 5th paragraph of THIS PAGE tells a different story:

Anyone leaving the UK with more than £1,000 in cash must provide evidence if the source and intended use of the money, or it may be detained. This is to prevent the proceeds of criminality being hidden in bank accounts and other assets overseas, and to prevent the theft of money from the public purse through unpaid tax.

The £10,000 figure bandied about is what has to be DECLARED, via form filling.

Anything above "just" £1000 needs to have evidence supporting the fact that its yours, and people like the police and customs are entitled to ask questions, should one be carrying £1000 or more, entering or leaving the country.

Penkoprod

Sorry I responded in previous post without seeing yours.

Says it all really-What was even more farcical in my case was that I had the equivalent of 50 pound in Thai baht.That was returned to me when the case was completed !

Cant help feeling that this information/thread should be pinned somewhere ??

Edited by Chivas

I suppose there must be an element of suspicion that the money is illegal. Much in the same way as a policeman could equally stop you on the street and query why you are carrying so much cash.

Unless you are a known criminal, or been on income support most of your life I don't think you need to worry.

They won't just confiscate your money if your explanation is plausable, especially at the departure gate, but intelligence led issues are another thing altogether. The customs woman didn't batter an eyelid with my having 2000 GBP on my person, but If I was a known criminal it may have been a different matter.

Of course people travel abroad with lots of cash, I really wouldn't worry unless you thik you may be suspected of wrongdoing.

I suppose there must be an element of suspicion that the money is illegal. Much in the same way as a policeman could equally stop you on the street and query why you are carrying so much cash.

Unless you are a known criminal, or been on income support most of your life I don't think you need to worry.

They won't just confiscate your money if your explanation is plausable, especially at the departure gate, but intelligence led issues are another thing altogether. The customs woman didn't batter an eyelid with my having 2000 GBP on my person, but If I was a known criminal it may have been a different matter.

Of course people travel abroad with lots of cash, I really wouldn't worry unless you thik you may be suspected of wrongdoing.

LOL

I had a totally plausable reason as already explained !!

They still helped themselves but as you rightly say if Id had a receipt for the 1k at outset wouldnt have had the problem, so my own fault.

As Darrel mentioned he wasn't aware of the rules and walked out with 5k Euro, the point in question being that he didnt know.

Likewise myself now have as already pointed out a receipt in cash bag when travelling.

But the point of the thread was to highlight that in excess of a grand will attract attention immediately no matter what suspicions the customs/excise have.

Sods wont catch me again on that one !!

Edited by Chivas

I had scottish £100 notes some years back?

LOL

I had a totally plausable reason as already explained !!

They still helped themselves but as you rightly say if Id had a receipt for the 1k at outset wouldnt have had the problem, so my own fault.

As Darrel mentioned he wasn't aware of the rules and walked out with 5k Euro, the point in question being that he didnt know.

It is a sad state of affairs these days isn't it?

Makes one wonder where the *free* world really is.

So just out of curiosity.....As one example ....Do they have such things as garage sales in the UK?

If so when you sell your used items to folks do they have to give you or you them a receipt?

Same for Ebay I know they have a Ebay UK... Do you show a papypal receipt or?

Otherwise if push comes to shove over that money what then?

Again makes me wonder who is free in this so called free world?

Here is a video of a Thai lady being caught by a money dog on her way out of UK.

What you reckon she's been doing in the UK?

But still the customs let her through with 17000+ GBP

You know watching that video it seems eventually she showed a bank book.

Looked like a Thai SCB bank book to me.

But I dont know UK banks....maybe they have a purple bank too?

But mainly my question is this.....

In the UK is there a law that states you have to be banked?

I know in the USA a decent amount of folks are unbanked.

According to government websites 7.7% remain unbanked & 17.9% under banked

If there is a law that states you have to use a bank in the UK

I can see the airport goons forcing proof of banking.

If not how does this all work for folks who deal in cash choosing not to trust banks?

That does seem to be the rationale behind it all.

One customs/dog handler explained to me that they are particularly looking for people carrying large amounts of cash to destinations where drugs are generally readily and cheaply available. Even then they will not always confiscate larger amounts of cash (he wasn't specific on that) but you would be put on their database and thoroughly checked for drugs on return to any UK point of entry. Of course, any "jobsworth" can be having a bad day and stick to the £1,000 limit.

I often used to carry more than £2,000 cash without problem but don't do so these days when travellers cheques are available at very low commission from any UK Post Office (you might have to order large amounts a couple of days in advance at smaller offices).

The reason for their return to popularity are the high charges banks impose for ATM cash withdrawals overseas. Another alternative is to go into any bank here (or elsewhere) with your passport and ask for a larger cash withdrawal on your debit card. This will probably involve a phone call to your UK bank

but is still cheaper than making a series of ATM withdrawals.

Hmm.

If I'd known about this when I flew out of LHR last year I might have been less concerned with the jar of Marmite that the b*stards stole from me and more concerned about the receipt-less 5000EUR I had in my pocket!

Argh!! They confiscated your marmite? Now that really is a story. I go back to UK every year to get a new 'O' Visa, and bring back 2 large jars of marmite, and 2 large jars of colmans.

Oh, and to stick with the subject, at least 10k in £50 notes to get the best exchange rate from the gold shop in Soi Thaniya. Best exchange rate I've located so far. whistling.gif

But I dont know UK banks....maybe they have a purple bank too?

But mainly my question is this.....

In the UK is there a law that states you have to be banked?

Bank books as such are quite rare in the UK these days. Most would be from building societies ("savings and loans") rather than banks, and anyway I think that most new accounts these days have only electronic statements and accounting, rather than an actual book.

There is no requirement in the UK to have a bank account, though the government is trying to make it obligatory to receive social security benefits etc. via an account rather than in cash warrants.

I had a lot of Euros in cash on me at LHR airport because I had brought them from Europe. They were the proceeds of selling a lot of furniture and other household items in garage sales etc. at the time of selling my house. As such I could never have proved where it came from. And I had it in cash rather than pay two lots of commission to change it into GBP and then again into THB.

Argh!! They confiscated your marmite? Now that really is a story. I go back to UK every year to get a new 'O' Visa, and bring back 2 large jars of marmite, and 2 large jars of colmans.

My own stupid fault.

I put it in my carry-on bag as my main bag was somewhat overweight (about 10kg :) ). A large jar of Marmite is heavy and quite dense, so I thought it was a good way to redistribute the weight, and indeed it was. I just didnt think about the fluids nonsense. Who ever heard of a Marmite bomb?

I really missed that on my toast. :(

I recently brought GBP 20,000 out from the UK, 10k in cash and 10k in travellers' cheques. When I was getting the cash I asked the bank teller if they knew what the rules were regarding taking out cash from the UK and they said they had no idea. I googled the question and only came up with the 10k Euro declaration information on the DirectGov link that Darrel posted earlier. When I got to the airport I went to the desk to get the declaration form, C9011 but there weren't any there.

I picked up the phone which links directly to the customs office and told them I wanted to declare some cash. They asked me how much, I told them and they said, just fill out the form and drop it in the box. I told them I couldn't as there were no forms available. I was then told to wait and someone would be with me shortly. About five minutes later, two customs officers appeared and asked me if I was the person wanting to declare cash. The next question they asked me was "Why did I want to declare this cash?" Because its the law was my reply. The younger of the two officers then suggested that I had been stopped going through the scanners, the cash found, and I'd been told to declare it rather than doing this voluntarily. I was then led off to a quiet area of the airport and my carry-on was searched.

Whilst searching my carry-on, I was asked by the older of the two officers to explain why I needed so much cash and where had it come from. I was asked if I could provide any proof of where the cash had come from and although I didn't have the receipt to hand for the 10k cash, I did have paperwork from the bank showing where the 10k travellers cheques had been obtained. I also offered to log in to my bank account via my laptop and show them the 10k withdrawal transaction but the older officer said he was happy with my explanation. Meanwhile, the younger officer took away the 10k cash for "examination".

When he came back, he checked my filled-out form C9011, line for line, even comparing the original with the carbon copy. I got the feeling that this was the biggest excitement he'd had since he started the job whereas the older guy was much more relaxed about the whole thing. After about 30 minutes I was allowed to go, along with my cash. I know the customs officers were only doing their job but I have to say I resented the attitude of the younger one, particularly when he falsely accused me of trying to evade declaring the cash.

The ridiculous thing about it all is that had I downloaded and filled out the form ahead of time, I could have just dropped it in the box and would probably have already been in the air before anyone read it.

Hmm.

If I'd known about this when I flew out of LHR last year I might have been less concerned with the jar of Marmite that the b*stards stole from me and more concerned about the receipt-less 5000EUR I had in my pocket!

wow i often carry a few thousand pounds worth of currency when travelling and before people ask what the hell for 3,000 gbp is not a lot of money really and I never use a credit card except in emergencies. So if im on a 2-3 week trip hotels easily use up 2,000 gbp and thats 3-4 star. Its now confirmed we have absolutely no basic freedoms left. I will however in future ask bank for a copy of my cheque made out to cash or would a bank statement showing withdrawal suffice. I dread to think what could happen when i regularly carry 20-30 american gold eagles into UK when i go form America to UK for friends who find it difficult to get gold without a large dealer markup. Land of the free bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif