Reasonable Sports Car For Under 10 Million

somala

Hi

I just sold my Porsche 911 for a tidy profit. I don't want to spend that much again on a car though, so Im looking for a sports car for 8-10 million baht.

Just wondering about sports cars in Thailand, what is a good buy and can be serviced professionally in Thailand. Porsche is good for the ground clearance. Most ferarris can not be driven on Thai roads.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a new car, what about a S5? Or a 2nd hand R8?

And maybe a stupid question, what 911 did you manage to make a 'tidy profit' on? And you say that you don't wanna spend that much money on the new car, and then you quote a price range that could buy a new 911...

Edited by jamora

And maybe a stupid question, what 911 did you manage to make a 'tidy profit' on? And you say that you don't wanna spend that much money on the new car, and then you quote a price range that could buy a new 911...

Mine was a bit special because it used to be owned by someone famous.

New price for new 911 Turbo starts at about 20 million in TL.

Mine was a bit special because it used to be owned by someone famous.

New price for new 911 Turbo starts at about 20 million in TL.

It amazes me what people are willing to pay for... But great deal for you!

Why not just go for a 911 Carrera? The extra HP from the turbo is pretty useless in Thailand anyway...

Yep, plenty of options as already pointed out - here's a another list :)

Audi RS5 (import)

Audi R8 (used)

Bentley Continental GT (used)

BMW Z4 (new)

BMW M3 coupe/cabrio (import)

Ferrari 360 (used)

Lotus Elise, Evora, Exige (new)

Nissan GT-R (import)

Nissan 370z (new)

Porsche Boxter S (new), Spyder (import)

Porsche Cayman S,R (new) Black Edition (import)

Porsche Carrera S / Black Edition (import)

Maserati Gran Turismo (used)

You'll get a lot of jealous posters on this forum who'll ask why do you need a sports car when you are stuck in a traffic jam most of the time?, why do you need 300+ Hp when you can only go as fast as the Honda Jazz in front of you etc etc etc.... these guys can not comprehend someone else's desires and thought process, they also own casio watches, or no watches cos they can tell the time on their cell phone etc etc etc...... That's their choice, their own individual statement and I respect that as much as I respect someone's decision to purchase an exotic car if they can afford it and it takes their fancy...

However, I'm also extremely jealous of anyone who drives an exotic car... so I'm on of those jealous posters.. I wish I could spare 8-10 MB on a sport car... Luckily there are some people around who can make our roads prettier (thats the way I look at it)... I personally enjoy spotting R8's, Lambos, Ferrari's... and when I do I think lucky bugger, and then check to see how hot the girl is in the passenger seat !!!

So... 8-10 MB sports cars...

Nissan GTR and Audi R8 are the obvious choices...

Maserati Granturismo

Bentley Continental GT (Second hand)

Lamborghini Gallardo (Second hand).

BMW 640 (F13)

On a totally Opposite Note - Exotic 4x4's.....

Porsche Cayenne...

Range Rover Autobiography...

• Like 1

Just reading this post fires up the imagination and gets me in a good mood thinking about luxury cars... this, of course, followed by the subsequent 'downer' as real life crashes in.

To the OP, I would suggest something nippy, practical and with nice clearance - a second hand Ford 2.0s :-)

But in all honesty, I wouldn't be able to offer up anything useful to you... but cheers for the chance to fantasize.

Oh, BTW, any chance on you spilling the beans on who the 911 used to belong to?

cheers

Jim

Crazy. :(

<deleted>, such young kids... anyone recognize the language they're speaking? the last 2 phrases were French (well now it's finished... too bad)

driver seemed overly cautious though...

Driver seemed a prat. Overtaking at speed on the inside, hmmmmmmmm. :huh:

"The Gukes of Hazzard" :whistling:

It does not appear that the driver was traveling that fast. I watched the image after reading the first 'Crazy' comment... I couldn't see what was crazy, undertaking at speed ?

I assume some of the comments come from people who have not driven on the express ways, I didn't see anything crazy, just a faster car driving fast but carefully on a relatively quiet expressway.

At one point a pickup pulls out in front of the Corvette and it easily handles dropping a little speed to compensate.... Nothing crazy about this at all unless you are one of the people who thinks driving above 120 kph is crazy.

And as 120kph is the speed limit that opinion is fair enough, but I for one nearly always break that 120 kph speed limit and undertake in a similar manner. I'm sure many other frequent drivers in Thailand drive in a similar manner.

Corvette is one to add to the list... how much are they in Thailand ? (LHD though)....

"The Gukes of Hazzard" :whistling:

It does not appear that the driver was traveling that fast. I watched the image after reading the first 'Crazy' comment... I couldn't see what was crazy, undertaking at speed ?

I assume some of the comments come from people who have not driven on the express ways, I didn't see anything crazy, just a faster car driving fast but carefully on a relatively quiet expressway.

At one point a pickup pulls out in front of the Corvette and it easily handles dropping a little speed to compensate.... Nothing crazy about this at all unless you are one of the people who thinks driving above 120 kph is crazy.

And as 120kph is the speed limit that opinion is fair enough, but I for one nearly always break that 120 kph speed limit and undertake in a similar manner. I'm sure many other frequent drivers in Thailand drive in a similar manner.

Corvette is one to add to the list... how much are they in Thailand ? (LHD though)....

Then l hope you are not behind me on the road. :rolleyes: We are not in the USA or UK, this is LOS where anything daft can happen any time.

I believe for EVERYONE'S safety overtaking on the inside is a no no.

This is their top end ZR1 at US $110,300 6.2L LS9 638-hp supercharged V8 engine. Just guessing with that engine triple it to 330,000 = nearly 10 million Baht. Their other models though run $55,000 or less. Believe someone knows excise tax and duties on this type of vehicle? I've heard between 200 - 300%.

ch_11_crv_zr1_gallery_ext_02.jpg

My Cruze is well under 10 Mill mini setangs, and is far superior in every aspect to a Vett.

The Corvette is just the "Sporty Cruze" (AKA "Cruzavette"), the Aveo is the "Mini Cruze", the Malibu the "Maxi Cruze", the Colorado is a "Cruze pickup"... Then you've got the Cadillac C(ruze)TS-V, and let's not forget the Caddilac Cruzalade - nice SUV that one ;)

Agreed, more of a leisurely cruise. I think those other posters don't have much BKK highway experience, the leftmost lane is often the fastest lane since everybody thinks they are fast enough that they don't need to drive there!

I'd post some of my late night drive videos, but I'd rather set a good example whistling.gif

Edited by eTiMaGo

Agreed, more of a leisurely cruise. I think those other posters don't have much BKK highway experience, the leftmost lane is often the fastest lane since everybody thinks they are fast enough that they don't need to drive there!

I'd post some of my late night drive videos, but I'd rather set a good example whistling.gif

That say's it all. ;) Good luck. :rolleyes:

Am I to believe you never break the speed limit or undertake on the express way TA ? Come on, confess, no one can be that perfect unless their car is not capable of traveling faster than 120kph and I figured you'd at least have speed chipped pickup of sorts....

As far as the undertaking goes... IMO when drivers insist on sitting in the middle lane the right hand lane is of course the first choice for over taking, however drivers often dawdle along in the outside lane too... I see driving past the traffic in the left most lane a far less aggressive option than flashing the headlight and sitting right behind the car in front...

No one is perfect and I am far from perfect when driving, but I simply don't see undertaking as a big deal... especially in Thailand where its something cars sitting in the middle lane on the express way are used to and expect (although that last comment is somewhat subjective).

If we are all honest we have all driven with less than 100% safety, less than 100% consideration but well within reasonable limits... in fact if I'm being realistic thats how I drive most of the time.

Edited by richard_smith237

Am I to believe you never break the speed limit or undertake on the express way TA ? Come on, confess, no one can be that perfect unless their car is not capable of traveling faster than 120kph and I figured you'd at least have speed chipped pickup of sorts....

As far as the undertaking goes... IMO when drivers insist on sitting in the middle lane the right hand lane is of course the first choice for over taking, however drivers often dawdle along in the outside lane too... I see driving past the traffic in the left most lane a far less aggressive option than flashing the headlight and sitting right behind the car in front...

No one is perfect and I am far from perfect when driving, but I simply don't see undertaking as a big deal... especially in Thailand where its something cars sitting in the middle lane on the express way are used to and expect (although that last comment is somewhat subjective).

If we are all honest we have all driven with less than 100% safety, less than 100% consideration but well within reasonable limits... in fact if I'm being realistic thats how I drive most of the time.

Tut Tut, l am referring to the video, foot down, no let off, weaving in and out, VERY different from day to day traffic dealing here. ;)