Gift For A Thai Mother With A Newborn Daughter

muchogra

The sales manageress at our moobaan in CM just had a baby girl last week. She's a casual acquaintance of ours. I had initially wanted to send her something at the hospital but due to not being present in CM and not knowing any place to do that, we missed the opportunity. I appreciate any suggestions of a proper gift to bring her when I go up to CM in the middle of this month. Thanks.

It's not very strict.

Thais tend to give stuff that will come in handy, you could buy baby clothes, milk bottles, a mobile, a cuddly toy (make sure it does not have stuff that easily comes off because of the risk of choking) or another type of toy, a baby chair, a bath bowl, wet wipes etc.

Many department stores have 'baby gift sets' that include an assortment of things like the above.

Tesco do baby gift packs for 200bht (assorted feeding bottles)

Or a couple of baby outfits at 99bth each

Or baby powder

Or baby shampoo

Or baby soap

Or a pack of disposable nappies

Pack of condensed milk cans for mum

Edited by ludditeman

Two sets of earplugs.

Anysthing to do with babies but remember 5000 of the same is a problem. Decide how much you would like to give and look for something for that. It is also acceptible and probably more appreciated to give an envolope with the money.

Find out the preferred brand of disposable diapers and give several packages. We've found these to be most appreciated with casual acquaintances.

For closer friends, relatives, co-workers I've found that a sterling silver baby spoon engraved with the baby's name is always a hit. Every child should be born with a silver spoon in its mouth. Be sure to encourage them to use it daily. Sterling silver is very durable for daily use.

Thanks to all the contributors! Previously, my mind was all blank cos I was thinking a gift for the mother. Now with all you good fellows having straightened out my thought I have myriad of ideas on the gift.

Diapers (or nappies) are one item suggested by everyone. So diapers that will be. Will probably add wet wipes and a small cash coupons. Thanks again.

ludditeman, may I ask why condensed milk? Is that popular? Thought condensed milk is too sweet and not too healthy though I sometimes add to my coffee.

Nancy, re: "Every child should be born with a silver spoon in its mouth." Really?

Thanks to all the contributors! Previously, my mind was all blank cos I was thinking a gift for the mother. Now with all you good fellows having straightened out my thought I have myriad of ideas on the gift.

Diapers (or nappies) are one item suggested by everyone. So diapers that will be. Will probably add wet wipes and a small cash coupons. Thanks again.

ludditeman, may I ask why condensed milk? Is that popular? Thought condensed milk is too sweet and not too healthy though I sometimes add to my coffee.

Nancy, re: "Every child should be born with a silver spoon in its mouth." Really?

In our day, it was true. Because silver killed lots of bacteria :whistling:

For some reason Thais believe tins of condensed milk help the mother produce quality breast milk.

The mothers drink the cans, the babies drink the breast milk.

Many new babies have problems wearing disposable nappies, until the umbilical is sorted out.

Wet wipes are good, Tesco sell Johnsons in big packs 80 for around 100bht.

Edited by ludditeman

Another idea if you want to give a gift specifically for the mother rather than the baby: the new Thai mothers I know are all very concerned with getting their abdominal skin back into shape. One thing my wife & all her acquaintances did was, 1 month after giving birth, go for a herbal compress treatment geared towards this goal. I don't know if it actually works but they all seem to enjoy it & a gift certificate for some kind of spa/health treatment like this might be a welcome alternative to more nappies, baby towels, etc. That said, nappies are always appreciated!

Thanks again to all the contributors.

---------------------

LJW, re: "In our day, it was true. Because silver killed lots of bacteria :whistling: "

I reckon you must be one born with the silver spoon in its mouth.:whistling:

Beetlejuice, re: "Give her 1000 baht..."

Indeed, cash works in most cases. Among ourselves with good friends and relatives, cash is often the medium used for gift. For example, my SIL and BIL in Bangkok, on the wife's side, already gave 20,000 to buy furniture for one of the spare bedrooms. Oh, coming back to the topic...I think it may not be good to give cash in this case. The reason being (pardon for the cockiness) that some Thai people think we are all 'rich' and may look at the small amount in cash too paltry and convenient without effort for 'rich' fellows like us.

ludditeman, re: "Wet wipes are good, Tesco sell Johnsons in big packs 80 for around 100bht."

Thanks for the above and also your elucidation on the condensed milk.

------------

cm das, re: "One thing my wife & all her acquaintances did was, 1 month after giving birth, go for a herbal compress treatment geared towards this goal...a gift certificate for some kind of spa/health treatment like this might be a welcome alternative..."

Perhaps your wife is more open-minded but mine is not. I can't afford running around asking other girls or women where and how to get rid of tummy stretch lines. :lol: My wife will get suspicious on why I would like to make other woman look good.:angry: You know what I mean, don't you? So, nappies they will be per your other suggestion! Thanks!