Concrete Polishing/Concrete Staning

limegreenpatato

Anyone here know any one that provides this type of service in chiang mai? or anywhere i could find materials? The closest ive found is some cement gloss at home pro...but as it will be a high traffice area i don't want to be reapplying every month. I had a guy tell me he could do it...then he came out to look at the area and he started talking about putting down another layer of concrete with colored powder in it.....<deleted>. dealing with people here can be highly frustrating sometimes.

There are many shops, guest houses, and hotels with polished concrete floors and walls. Try speaking to one of the owners and see if they will tell you who did theirs. Some really nice concrete work in some of the places. However, many Thais (who usually have no idea how it was made) will tell you they just clean it a lot, but in reality, a really smooth concrete floor is usually produced by sanding it down with a sanding machine. Some videos on Youtube about it if you want to see how it's done.

If you want concrete staining you add a coloured powder to the concrete as it is being mixed. Usually a pattern is layed on to it for some kind of design.

If you are looking to polish the concrete you need a scarifier. You should be able to rent one from a tool hire company.

If the concrete is there already you will need a product called acid etch which will color the concrete but leaves a color scheme that varies. If you want a color that is the same thru out stain needs to be added at pouring time. The polished floor is also better accomplished at the time of the pour as the finish work then can be done in a manner that can eliminate later polishing. A friend of mine has his finishers smooth it out at this phase and after the job is complete he cleans the floor and just polishes with a buffer and wax he also adds stain at the time of the pour, cheaper than tile or carpet.

If your floor is there already it may be very expensive to get the look you are looking for.

I've had my 'cowboy' construction crew do it all by hand by making a wet mix with a lot of sand/no gravel and trowel it on existing slab, then sprinkle the cement tint [that comes in the basic colors or you can mix your own] then they smooth it with trowels, and floaters......no need for any polishing machinery ......Thai style.

And, then there is actual 'concrete paint' that is designed for tennis courts and that lasts a long time as well.

A polished look can be attained by troweling it when it is poured. Back home they would trowel it two or three times. To attain a polish they would trowel it one more time when it was hard.

It did not bring up high polish but it was part of the concrete.

As has been said here earlier for color add it when mixing the concrete or you can at a later date either paint it or add a thin coat of colored concrete less the aggregate.

I am a little confused as to what type of finish you are looking for on your floor.

Is it a Terazzo finish which uses a process of grinding down the surface to expose the aggregate and paste, then polished.

Or are you looking for a finished surface on your concrete that is has almost a polished appearance?

The Terazzo can be performed on exiting concrete surfaces while the steel trowel finish needs to be perfomed at the time of the concrete placement.

Color can be applied to the exiting concrete's surface, but this is in a liquid form and the results will vary based upon the consistency of the concrete. The best results for color concete is with an integral color which is added to the concrete at the time of placement.

As to where? Your guess is as good as mine.......

I am a little confused as to what type of finish you are looking for on your floor.

Is it a Terazzo finish which uses a process of grinding down the surface to expose the aggregate and paste, then polished.

Or are you looking for a finished surface on your concrete that is has almost a polished appearance?

The Terazzo can be performed on exiting concrete surfaces while the steel trowel finish needs to be perfomed at the time of the concrete placement.

Which is it that is most used in trendy shopping mall stores?

They always have a very smooth and glossy surface.

Which is it that is most used in trendy shopping mall stores?

They always have a very smooth and glossy surface.

Terazzo. Prior to placing the concrete they have a brass "grid" that is installed. They then grind down to

the grid. The grid can be ornamental or in any dimensions that you desire.

post-21996-0-55076100-1317975201_thumb.j

I know someone who has acid etched out near Nahm Prea.. Had one hell of a time getting Thai staff to do it right and ended up doing it mostly himself.. He got the color stained in but IMO its not polished enough to be called what I understand of that finish.

If you want to contact him PM me and I will see if I cant put you in touch.