Noise From Above In Condos

I've moved to a new house which is in a relatively countrified location and the noise is incredible.

Not from neighbours but crickets, frogs, toukak.

You'll never get away from noise in Thailand.

Edit: formatting

Edited by PattayaParent

It must depend on the building because we never hear anyone !!

Really.

Probably the thickness of the concrete between the floors, the distance between the floors, the floor coverings above you....many things to consider.

The loudest thing we get is the aircon !

Really.

Probably the thickness of the concrete between the floors, the distance between the floors, the floor coverings above you....many things to consider.

Yes...much will depend on the building and the percentage of vacant units...:lol:

You should fear if you do hear someone when the units next to yours are vacant...

Really.

Yes...much will depend on the building and the percentage of vacant units...:lol:

You should fear if you do hear someone when the units next to yours are vacant...

So how do you know for sure before you commit to a contract.

So how do you know for sure before you commit to a contract.

I would have thought that most sensible people would visit the unit/building several times late at night, or even spend a night or two there before buying it. That's what I would do, but then I do have very little faith in Thai property and even less in those who are trying to sell it.

Of course, none of that would protect you from some noisy neighbour moving in the day after you buy it. And I suppose some really canny vendors would just bribe any noisy neighbour to go away for a day or two whilst the buyer was checking the place out. I'm sure that's already happened here.

Well funny that because i am one of those sensible people, but that tactic did not help me in spain, it's highly unlikely your going to get the high volume noise on your visit.

Maybe the only way is to go detached, that's what i'm eyeing up, unless there are some almost neighbour proof noise developments, but i doubt it.

Well funny that because i am one of those sensible people, but that tactic did not help me in spain, it's highly unlikely your going to get the high volume noise on your visit.

Rent it for a few months first? I know more than one person who has done this here.

Maybe the only way is to go detached, .....

Good idea. I must keep an eye out for a nice detached condo.

Rent it for a few months first? I know more than one person who has done this here.

Maybe the only way is to go detached, .....

Good idea. I must keep an eye out for a nice detached condo.

yeah that's right i'm looking for a detached condo. There's always one.

Two months of noise can be to much from my experience, i will not risk it i'll go for a villa.

in the 20 or so buildings i have lived in there has always been a problem

bang on the walls and you will hear them resonate because they are single small bricks

when someone walks across the floor you will hear bonk bonk bonk

or their TV or parties on the balcony or the bar down the road

then if you find a place thats quiet - someone will start to renovate

or renovate the vacant block next door

or a car with a big sound system will park somewhere nearby and blast away

I moved to the jungle once and the old girl over the road started karaoke

there is no escape

except vodka and valium and ear plugs

in the 20 or so buildings i have lived in there has always been a problem

bang on the walls and you will hear them resonate because they are single small bricks

when someone walks across the floor you will hear bonk bonk bonk

or their TV or parties on the balcony or the bar down the road

then if you find a place thats quiet - someone will start to renovate

or renovate the vacant block next door

or a car with a big sound system will park somewhere nearby and blast away

I moved to the jungle once and the old girl over the road started karaoke

there is no escape

except vodka and valium and ear plugs

That's my experience exactly - there is always noise. Car stereos are the worse - nothing stops bass except very thick concrete and it's highly disturbing.

In a condo, you will usually hear people above you, but it depends on your neighbors habits and behavior.

The only company I've seen really address this is a US one, Acoustiblok - it sells a range of noise-reducing solutions - how can it not have a Thai distributor? All these expats doing export/import businesses and there's no soundproofing firm in Thailand? It's crazy. In Bangkok, every man and his dog is fighting to import the same types of things for ever thinner profit margins, and you've got this huge problem with sound affecting everyone. The thing Acoustiblok sells that's most interesting are these pads of mass-loaded vinyl designer to be stuck straight onto walls and then painted or wall-papered over. There's another product Green Glue which is a sound-absorbing adhesive. Again, not in Thailand. Only sedatives and ear plugs.