Applying For Residency Document For Driving Licence

hey guys - i was wondering if you could give me some advice,

when i came here 7 months ago I applied for a business visa, as i have my own small company back in the UK, so drew up a letter saying i was coming to thailand to be a buyer of clothing for the company, and the embassy in the UK accepted this, and issued my business visa

she also told me i would need a work permit when i got here

when i got to thailand i approached a small visa company that was recommended to me, and i told the guy my situation ie i would be doing a small amount of work from my desk in my room on the internet, and that i would need to apply for a work permit

he told me that i was better of being “under the radar”, and that i would never encounter problems from immigration

he said he organises many visa runs from bangkok to the border, and lots of people on his bus have business visa’s and they will always get their 3 months stamp, without having to show a work permit

as he was effectively losing business for himself by saying this, i believed him, and so do not have a work permit

he said that if immigration ask where is my work permit, i just say i am here on a business visa..... if they say what business are you here on, i just say that it is private, and that the visa has been issued to me..... i dont think he meant me to take this literally, but he was saying that i had my business visa and that that was enough..... i was not working here, but i was here on business

after some thought, i decided that if i was ever stopped, i would say i am here on business, in that i am here to buy clothes from neighbouring countries and send them home, but am based in thailand

so today, i have to go to my local immigration office for my residency document, as i want to apply for a driving licence, but at the office i see police etc and lots of uniforms etc, and i get scared, and did not go into the office

i am worried that they will say where is your work permit, and then detain me (i have read a couple of horror stories on here)

what do you think i should do? do you think i should go in and ask for my certificate of residency and hope they dont ask to see my work permit, or do you think i may be better off without a driving licence for the 8 months or so before i get married here to my thai GF? if i get stopped whilst driving my car they may just accept my UK licence.....

any advice would be great......

I recommend re-enter with the proper visa, and then things will be much less stressful.

As far as getting stopped without a license. I would guess less than 1/2 the vehicles are being operated by licensed drivers. My wife never had one until I went to get mine.

Most just pay the paltry fine and go on. But... you might be the one guy...

Seriously. Get your visa sorted out, re-enter, play by the rules. easy life.

I was hit by a car on my motorcycle, after being released from the hospital I had to go to the police station, they asked if I had my passport with me, I did not, I gave them my Canadian drivers license as I.D. I had no problems they made the guy who hit me pay me what I asked for and took a photo of handing me the money.

Thanks for replying guys......

I have been here for 7 months, but i have had to leave and re-enter 2 times to get another 3 month period on my visa...... so does that mean i have only been here 2 months?

also, we have only just got the car, so have only been driving for one month.....

so, could it be argued that i am within the law with my visa, as i am here on business but not working ie i board a plane to china to buy clothes, which i send home from there, then i return

and also, i am not here for longer than a 3 month period continuously, so i will not need the thai driving licence, as my uk licence will be valid

i would love to have the work permit, but my visa guy told me it will cost around 25,000B, plus i will have to start paying tax and filing accounts etc, and he said for the small amount of work i will be doing at my desk in the privacy of my home, it wasn't worth it

You would most likely not qualify for a letter from Immigration in any case as you are not here on an extension of stay and doing 90 day address reports. You do require a work permit when doing any kind of work (but there was no way that visa company could get you one (and they happy to make there money with border trips anyhow). You risk arrest, fine, imprisonment and deportation but as you were told the odds are you will remain under the radar if you avoid official contacts or making someone mad enough to turn you in. To be legal you would have to set up a representative office and be employed by them and unless you have high turnover it would be not be cost effective. You should probably take a close look at how much risk you are prepared to accept and know that you are illegal currently, even if not an unusual situation. I would not try to contact immigration for such a letter and any contact anywhere will get you into new data base records and with the increase of computer usage it may only be a matter of time before they are shared. But then again it may never happen if agencies keep to usual bickering and hiding from each other. Just be aware things could go pear shape at any moment.

UKJASE, don't worry.

Just go the Immigration Office, take the necessary documents with you (utility bill or house registration or rental contract), copy of your passport (all pages + departure card), 2 photo's and fill in the form upon entering the office.

Turn in the documents + THB 200 for each letter you need and the next day (or maybe even there and then) you can take your letter.

If government-officials EVER ask for your WP, you simply don't have it with you, because the WP 'says' that you must be able to show it upon request when you are WORKING.

Driving around with a foreign DL won't cause problems. I'm doing so for the last 8 years; I'm being stopped on several occasions, caused one accident and insurance accepted my DL and rent cars regularly.....no problem what so ever, which doesn't mean that you may get into trouble for not having a Thai DL.

Rumors are spreading about not needing a Thai DL, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Sorry but I have to disagree with some of the posts above.

A non-B visa can be issued for the purpose of seeking employment or business opportunities. If you are asked just tell them this is what you are doing.

As far as not qualifying for the residency letter because you are not on extension of stay, again I would disagree. I got my driving license about 5 years ago, at the time I was on a non-O for the purpose of visiting friends. I was not on an extension and had to do 3 month border runs the same as you.

Being on a non-B visa does not automatically mean you must have a WP, I guarantee if you go to immigration they will not even ask.

A non-B does not require a WP, but an extension of stay normally does require a WP. Without a WP he doesn't qualify for an extension of stay.Immigration normally doesn't issue a residency letter if you don't do 90 day reports, for which you have to be on an extension of stay.

:whistling:

I'm not an expert on these matters...but I would like to clarify a some points.

when i came here 7 months ago I applied for a business visa, as i have my own small company back in the UK, so drew up a letter saying i was coming to thailand to be a buyer of clothing for the company, and the embassy in the UK accepted this, and issued my business visa

1.You actually own this business in your home country and it is reqistered there?

(That's important)

2. You buy, export, and sell a Thai made product for a profit?

That's how you were given that busines visa, and if number 2 is true then according to the Thai law (in my limited understanding of it) that fact means you need a Work Permit...because the effort involved in finding and purchasing that clothing you export is considered to be "work in Thailand" by Thai labor law.

Your big problems will not come with Thai immigration, but with the Labor and Tax authorites.

If you intend to do this long term, and live in Thailand while making a living that way, I would guess you need to set up a business, or at least a branch office of your foriegn company in Thailand.

That will require a minimum capital investment for startup and a certain number of Thai employees (office employees) to be done legally.

It will NOT be cheap to get that done legally.

So, if you intend to do it legally...the intelligent thing to do is to get advice first from a Thai lawyer who knows about such matters.

Based on that you need to decide whether it is financially viable for you to do this.

It won't be cheap to setup a Thai branch...but you can get advice and information from the Thai Board of Investmant on setting up such a company and tax matters...but the BOI is really set up for big investors with a large amount of capital to invest....which I assume you are not.

But first...do your research and get information from that Thai lawyer.

And finally, you may be able to work "under the radar" and get away with it. But, if and when you are caught, you will have to pay for that time.

So basically it's a sucker's game...you gain nothing by wining, and when you do lose you pay a lot.

Depends where you are.. Pattaya immigration are known to give residency letters for DL:s even if you on 30 day stamp only. :)

Agree. I was on a Non-imm O and took my lease to Pang Nam Ron Immigration and got my letter. Like all things in the Kingdom, mileage may vary.

I'm not an expert on these matters...but I would like to clarify a some points.

1.You actually own this business in your home country and it is reqistered there?

(That's important)

2. You buy, export, and sell a Thai made product for a profit?

That's how you were given that busines visa, and if number 2 is true then according to the Thai law (in my limited understanding of it) that fact means you need a Work Permit...because the effort involved in finding and purchasing that clothing you export is considered to be "work in Thailand" by Thai labor law.

Your big problems will not come with Thai immigration, but with the Labor and Tax authorites.

If you intend to do this long term, and live in Thailand while making a living that way, I would guess you need to set up a business, or at least a branch office of your foriegn company in Thailand.

That will require a minimum capital investment for startup and a certain number of Thai employees (office employees) to be done legally.

It will NOT be cheap to get that done legally.

So, if you intend to do it legally...the intelligent thing to do is to get advice first from a Thai lawyer who knows about such matters.

Based on that you need to decide whether it is financially viable for you to do this.

It won't be cheap to setup a Thai branch...but you can get advice and information from the Thai Board of Investmant on setting up such a company and tax matters...but the BOI is really set up for big investors with a large amount of capital to invest....which I assume you are not.

But first...do your research and get information from that Thai lawyer.

And finally, you may be able to work "under the radar" and get away with it. But, if and when you are caught, you will have to pay for that time.

So basically it's a sucker's game...you gain nothing by wining, and when you do lose you pay a lot.

If the OP is not doing business per se in Thailand, ie generating income from Thai sources or customers, he could set up a representative office in Thailand for the UK company, pretty easy and will not be hindered by having to pay corparate tax etc in Thailand or the normal rules about employing a mimimum number of Thai employees etc for the WP, however can only operate the Rep office for a period of 5 years and will need to remit THB 5.0million into the country believe its THB 2.0 million year 1 and 1 million per year there after.

This route also would apply to our internet business men working in Thailand who say the rules dont cater for them......yes its possible to get fully legal with a WP

ok for phuket;

if u want the residence letter required to get ur driving license go to immigration with a a rental agreement signed by ur landlord and ur passport, I even know some farangs on tourist visas that just got a note from the hotel they were staying at

100-200 baht and no questions asked. Not sure about other offices

"...but at the office i see police etc and lots of uniforms etc, and i get scared, and did not go into the office"

Is there a thread somewhere here for nominating funny/stupid/etc quotes for special recognition?

OP, you are aware, aren't you, that they are Immigration Police?

If you aren't doing any work here, you don't need a WP.

If you are, WP required.

For the record... UK driving licenses are covered by Thai insurance companies. I have queried this and their request is for a "valid licence" - it doesn't have to be Thai. I have had three claims over the years - all accepted by three (major) different companies.

For the record... UK driving licenses are covered by Thai insurance companies. I have queried this and their request is for a "valid licence" - it doesn't have to be Thai. I have had three claims over the years - all accepted by three (major) different companies.

UK driving licenses are covered for tourists together with an IDP (International driving permit)

Stay longer then 90 days and you should get a Thai driving licence.

Thanks for all replies guys - i will re read them and try to decide my next step......

people have said that the offices at pattaya and phuket are easy to get a residents letter, and no questions are asked regarding visa status..... has anyone here had any experience with the prachuap immigration office situated in hua hin?? the one with loads of cops outside wearing intimidating uniforms :ph34r:

I don't know why it is so complicated, given the replies above. I recently used my (8-month-old) embassy (Canada) letter of residency affidavit to apply and receive my one-year driving licences (moto and car). I also had an IDP issued in Canada. Location: Bangkok, Dept. of Land Transportation office, District 3, soi 99 Sukhumvit. (FYI: I have non-imm O-A visa, expired but now running on Permission to Stay stamp.)

Why couldn't the OP go to his embassy and obtain same?

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

90 day reports are an option for anyone with a non imm visa, don't have to have to be on an extension?

A non-B does not require a WP, but an extension of stay normally does require a WP. Without a WP he doesn't qualify for an extension of stay.Immigration normally doesn't issue a residency letter if you don't do 90 day reports, for which you have to be on an extension of stay.

No they are not an option - you do 90 day reports when allowed to remain more than 90 days by your permitted to stay stamp and do so - you do not receive more than 90 days on entry unless you extend your stay (with very few exceptions). A multi entry visa does not provide an option of leaving or doing a 90 day address report to stay longer - you must leave or extend.

On a non O with 1 yr validity for example, you either leave every 90 days or report to immigration every 90 days?

No they are not an option - you do 90 day reports when allowed to remain more than 90 days by your permitted to stay stamp and do so - you do not receive more than 90 days on entry unless you extend your stay (with very few exceptions). A multi entry visa does not provide an option of leaving or doing a 90 day address report to stay longer - you must leave or extend.

On a non O with 1 yr validity for example, you either leave every 90 days or report to immigration every 90 days?

A non-O (not a retirement extension or like) requires that you leave the country every 90 days.

Sorry but I have to disagree with some of the posts above.

A non-B visa can be issued for the purpose of seeking employment or business opportunities. If you are asked just tell them this is what you are doing.

As far as not qualifying for the residency letter because you are not on extension of stay, again I would disagree. I got my driving license about 5 years ago, at the time I was on a non-O for the purpose of visiting friends. I was not on an extension and had to do 3 month border runs the same as you.

Being on a non-B visa does not automatically mean you must have a WP, I guarantee if you go to immigration they will not even ask.

As QED says, this is a non-issue. During my years here I've had at least 3 Non-B multiple visas. My first non-B was issued to seek employment.

Never had a work permit, so been doing boarder runs every 90-days.

The OP doesn't have to worry about having a non-B without a work permit, this is completely legal and quite common.

Not sure how many letters of residency I've applied for at immigration. But they have been for opening bank accounts, applying for, and renewing driving licenses

So I'd say, at least 5 letters have been received and never been asked a question. Granted that some of these letters could have been received when I've been on a non-O multi.

Just had too many different visas to remember them all.

Granted all letters of residency have been applied for in Pattaya, or now Jomtien, who seems to be a bit laxed about issuing them.

Bite the bullet and go to your embassy, pay a bunch of baht, and get a "residency letter" that the Thai driver permit folks will be happy with.

No valid license, no insurance coverage! As another poster mentioned.

Mac

I'm just wondering if this website was made to give some guys advice how to bypass the existing laws in this country?

With all respect, how many foreigners gave others, living and working here LEGALLY a bad name in the past?

What would the Immigration back in the UK do, if a Thai citizen's trying to cheat them?

Laws and visa regulations are always getting worse, because of dishonest guys................jap.gif