Torrent Troubles?

Ginkas

For the last day or two my torrent program has been showing red arrows on most of my seeds.

This means that there is little or no connection to the tracker.

I am in Chiangmai and another user in Nong Khai is having the same problems.

Anybody else?

We are both concerned at the loss of access to British TV programmes!

I don't use the torrent system very much, only to download selected TV programmes, so that I don't tie up too much bandwidth.

What torrent service are you using?

If you use Utorrent go to the first tab underneath called "General", then look at a long number near the bottom "Hash code"

right mouse click and copy it, then go to google, paste the hash number into the search, look at the entry for isohunt, click on the torrent and look for the trackers, copy and paste them into the torrent (click on the torrent, right mouse click then properties), a box appears, with a tracker in it paste the new ones, make sure to add http:// and also remove the numbers at the end (indicated how many seeders), also double space them.

Well. Thanks for the information, I've learnt something new.

Always a good thing. Yes, I am using uTorrent.

Doesn't really help in this case, though, as 99% of my downloads are via private trackers.

When seeding, the service needs to report to the relevant tracker so that my ratio benefits and I can then download another programme.

The red arrows mean that no reporting is taking place despite still seeding.

I have also been experiencing this in the last few days.

Everything Red no matter what tracker being used.

U Torrent. 3BB. I am getting round it by using a method that probably cannot be discussed here.

A Seed Box would also do the trick.

Just Google "Seed Box" and ignore the links to gardening sites. :)

Thanks Lite Beer - another joins the ranks.

Where are you located?

I am in Chiangmai and another 'boxer' who is having the same problems is in Nong Khai - we both have 3BB.

Would like to know just how widespread this is.

Last night, just before bed, things were looking a lot better.

This morning a mass of red arrows.

BEANO - uTorrent set not to upgrade, using 1.8.3., but thanks for the thought.

NOCTURN - I still have to worry about ratios as most of what I download (older programmes) either aren't available elsewhere or the quality/completeness is very poor.

The Box seems to be the only source for the ones I want.

The Box ( if that is who you are using) has a topic running regarding the red arrows. There are a few disgruntled ex members who are trying Denial of Service attacks on them. This can disrupt the torrents and show on Utorrent as red arrows.

The problem usually resolves itself after some hours or in worst case a couple of days.

Other things to note -

Make sure there is a green tick at the bottom of the screen to show you have a good connection. If it is not a green tick, right click the red cross and it guides you through what to do.

Stop the downloads and exit Utorrent. Wait a little while and restart. That can sometimes help.

If you are also d/l from other sources make sure DHT is enabled for them. If it is not, right click on DHT (at the bottom of the screen) and enable DHT before trying to d/l from other sources because you will not get trackers (or very few) without DHT.

The Box disables DHT from the actual d/l's from themselves and that is not a poblem.

As an aside make sure that you have enabled enough d/l in the preferences in Utorrent. Mine is currently set at 200 and I am seeding over 100.

Edit to add... I presume you are running a Static IP address B)

Edited by McGarty

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Now know of four people in Thailand having the same problem; and all 3BB users, so far.

Any more want to join?

Just to clarify, it's not only The Box torrents that are affected but all other private and public trackers.

Strangely, not having any problems downloading, it's uploading that is giving the trouble.

Downloaded a series last night to test, came in with no trouble.

It's the uploads (seedings) that are having the red arrow problems.

I have also been experiencing this in the last few days.

Everything Red no matter what tracker being used.

U Torrent. 3BB. I am getting round it by using a method that probably cannot be discussed here.

A Seed Box would also do the trick.

Just Google "Seed Box" and ignore the links to gardening sites. :)

Ditto...

That happened to me as well,

I am using Utorrent on 3BB... After their last automatic update (alpha something for their last edition) yesterday Utorrent started to crash, and this non-stop!

Getting bored, I made a system restore and I am back to the previous version.

By the way -after googling a bit regarding that trouble- it maybe happened because of the "hippo" automatic upgrades that I am using on Chrome...

But I am not qualified enough to judge regarding that matter.

@Ginkas - Sounds like your ISP is blocking access to the trackers. True went through a phase of attempting to do this a year or so back but they gave it up. A decent VPN will solve the issue. I'm a member of pretty much all the major private trackers (including the box) and I can tell you for sure there's nothing up with any of them at the moment (apart from BTN which is apparently getting intermittently DDos'd).

@lazy - Forget about new versions of utorent. Stick to 1.8.2 or 1.8.5

Thanks Lite Beer - another joins the ranks.

Where are you located?

I am in Chiangmai and another 'boxer' who is having the same problems is in Nong Khai - we both have 3BB.

Would like to know just how widespread this is.

Last night, just before bed, things were looking a lot better.

This morning a mass of red arrows.

BEANO - uTorrent set not to upgrade, using 1.8.3., but thanks for the thought.

NOCTURN - I still have to worry about ratios as most of what I download (older programmes) either aren't available elsewhere or the quality/completeness is very poor.

The Box seems to be the only source for the ones I want.

you miss the point mate. you dont have to worry about ratios because:

1) Seedbox is always on, so always uploading

2)Seedboxes have very high upload speeds often matching the download speeds. mine is 10mb/sec rather than the 33kb/s you are likely currently getting

i use only private trackers and my ratio sits somewher in the 10-12 to 1 without any effort

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Now know of four people in Thailand having the same problem; and all 3BB users, so far.

Any more want to join?

Just to clarify, it's not only The Box torrents that are affected but all other private and public trackers.

Strangely, not having any problems downloading, it's uploading that is giving the trouble.

Downloaded a series last night to test, came in with no trouble.

It's the uploads (seedings) that are having the red arrow problems.

I'm having similar issues too in CM using 3BB. Going through my VPN solves the problem. Maybe it's their way of clamping down on torrents?

3bb premier (or whatever crap they call it), chongnonsi, bkk. no issue with torrents. seeding 24/7 about 375+ torrents (to private trackers only).

rtorrent 0.8.9 / libtorrent 0.12.9

using port 5xxxx

3bb modem/router in bridge mode / RT-N16 running tomato-RT latest git

Yes 3BB premier works perfect..

But the regular connection.. seems totally blocked now..

I cant get any tracker announces, and even if some go through.. 3bb is actively blocking peer connections.

I tried doing a Glasnost test to see if there is traffic shaping..

The test wont even go through.. it seems they've blocked up so many ports that glasnost wont even give results for the test..

Might have to bite the bullet and pay for 3BB Premier. Testing it now, full speed on uploads/download and all tracker announces working perfectly.

I'm in Phuket using 3BB 12mbit, and can confirm that it's red arrows here as well. Not everywhere (ex. Piratebay and Kickasstorrents are working ok), but I'm using a private tracker for d/l NHL-games, and it's all red regarding uploads. This is a major problem, since I need to seed. Having read all the posts here, I'm still not sure which way to go. Seedbox or VPN?

Cheers

^If you rent a seedbox you can use both for the price of the seedbox only, i.e. route all your traffic through a VPN via the seedbox. If you don't have much experience configuring OpenVPN, probably go with Feral Hosting since the process is pretty much automated.

Here in Chiangmai, and reported from Nong Khai, all is back to normal.

Seeding as before, all arrows green.

May have been a technical problem which has been corrected.

Edited by Ginkas

Yes. Seems to be OK now.

Because of this I am now trying out a couple of low price plan seedboxes and have been very impressed with the speeds.

Not so impressed with the speeds when downloading from Seedbox to the computer though.

Early days yet and will get there eventually.

Yes. Seems to be OK now.

Because of this I am now trying out a couple of low price plan seedboxes and have been very impressed with the speeds.

Not so impressed with the speeds when downloading from Seedbox to the computer though.

Early days yet and will get there eventually.

you need to use a download manage that supports multi threaded downloads. I usually downlaod at max connection speed

try FDM http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Back to normal in Phuket also. But I decided to try out a seedbox from Feral Hosting, and boy am I being impressed! Will continue using this service because it's doing magic with my ratio + I don't have to keep my computer running 24/7. The FTP-speed from the seedbox is also very good, but only after I did some adjustments in CuteFTP.