Intel I5 Or I7

Cobrabiker

I am currently using Dell Inspiron 1545 Pentium dual core T4300, 2 gb ram, mostly for surfing internet, opening several windows with multiple taps, and youtube or online tv streaming, I find that sometimes it cannot catch up with the work pace, especiallly watching tv, it will pause many times, current cpu benchmark is 1409.

I was wondering whether a Quad core core i-7 2670qm with a bench mark of 7069 helps improve multiple windows internet surfing? Or a core i-5 2430m 2.4ghz benchmark 3519 is just as good for internet multi tasking applications.

Edited by Cobrabiker

First of all I would upgrade the RAM - much cheaper and quite likely to be one of the current bottlenecks.

500-600B for an extra 2GB.

However don't go for more than 4GB total unless you have a 64bit OS, you can install more but you cant use it.

However don't go for more than 4GB total unless you have a 64bit OS, you can install more but you cant use it.

Ok, mine is 64 bit OS, so is it ok to add a 4 gb ram? So total ram will be 6 gb. And I don't understand you stated that I can't use it? What should be the maximum ram that I can use on this processor?

Ok, mine is 64 bit OS, so is it ok to add a 4 gb ram? So total ram will be 6 gb. And I don't understand you stated that I can't use it? What should be the maximum ram that I can use on this processor?

A 64-bit OS can utilize > 4GB RAM, while 32-bit OS is limited to < 4GB. The Dell Inspiron 1545 supports up to 8GB of memory.

[PDF] View Specifications

Edited by Supernova

Actually I doubt that the streaming TV stuttering has anything to do with the PC spec. although a RAM upgrade won't hurt, much more likely that the internet connection is maxing out.

Who is your ISP what internet speed do you think you have (are paying for)? Try checking with the Thaivisa speed test.

This is just my opinion.. not that of my employer, which happens to be a large chip manufacturer.

RAM is usually the quickest, cheapest way to see a huge difference.

Moving to an SSD also makes a big difference. They are not cheap but shifting all that processing to what is effectively a RAM-like platform instead of a spinning hard drive will give you dramatic improvement.

I'm personally convinced that all I will need is an I-5 and I do some video editing (not professionally) and usually have at least a dozen tabs open in Chrome (which I find to be faster and more stable than IE.)

I'm currently using an Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.4 GHz. This generally meets my needs. I do get occasional stuttering or slow loading but I think a lot of it is the connection speed; bearing in mind that the speed anywhere down the line can be a bottleneck.. not just your own connection.

My own plan: wait until next year, or as long as possible, not just for the I-5, but for the chipsets that go with the CPU. Those are also a big factor in a lot of tasks and we are seeing things like video encoding/decoding being done in the hardware with increasingly better integration. Decoding the naming conventions is almost impossible for us mortals, but my impression is that Ivy Bridge will have better graphics and lower power needs than Sandy Bridge. That's what I'm waiting for, although if I was in bind, I'd get an I5 Sandy Bridge today.

I hope this helps!

Ok, I guess will get another 4 gb ram. Well my internet provider is TOT, current plan is 3 mbps, the speed test results ranging from below 1 to 2.6 mbps for download speed with wifi connection, tried at different time of the day, is it normal?

Moving to an SSD also makes a big difference. They are not cheap but shifting all that processing to what is effectively a RAM-like platform instead of a spinning hard drive will give you dramatic improvement.

What is SSD? My current ram is a ddr2. Does after market ram work as well as the original's?

Ok, I guess will get another 4 gb ram. Well my internet provider is TOT, current plan is 3 mbps, the speed test results ranging from below 1 to 2.6 mbps for download speed with wifi connection, tried at different time of the day, is it normal?

What is SSD? My current ram is a ddr2. Does after market ram work as well as the original's?

Can't you upgrade your ToT? 6Mb is 590 Baht.

SSD is solid state drive, like a USB 'thumb drive', no moving parts.

You say that the CPU can't keep up with the online video streaming - I don't believe that. Most likely your connection is just too slow, especially at times of high usage.

Get a better connection.

Use Task Manager to see your CPU usage in a little window in the task bar - you can see if it's at 100% or not. So if the video is stuttering and the CPU is not at 100%, then the problem isn't the CPU.

Upgrading the RAM on your system will have the by far biggest performance impact. After that, re-install Windows. After that, get a SSD.

Can't you upgrade your ToT? 6Mb is 590 Baht.

Too bad, just signed for one year for 3 mbps 2 months ago, may be moving elewhere soon.

You say that the CPU can't keep up with the online video streaming - I don't believe that. Most likely your connection is just too slow, especially at times of high usage.

Yes, where especially I have multiple windows running with a couple of dozen taps, could this be the problem?

My CPU runs around 60%, ram at around 1.5 to 1.7 GB out of 2 GB at the moment, looks like ram still have some space, is it necessary to upgrade ram? And the problem is there is no one piece 4 gb, is 2gb each, but now I have two 1 GB ram installed by Dell, so I have to throw away a piece of ram and put into 2 gb ram to get 3 gb, a 1gb increase, does it make any significant speed improvement?

Yes, where especially I have multiple windows running with a couple of dozen taps, could this be the problem?

My CPU runs around 60%, ram at around 1.5 to 1.7 GB out of 2 GB at the moment, looks like ram still have some space, is it necessary to upgrade ram?

Strictly a RAM issue.

When your system runs low on RAM (like above), Windows moves the least used pages of memory out to a hidden file on your hard disk to free up more RAM. It is this "swapping" to and from disk that bogs the system down.

Solution? Install more memory. This will enable you to do more such as open multiple applications at once and make things run a little smoother. The more RAM you have, the better off you'll be.

Edited by Supernova

Strictly a RAM issue.

Ok, thanks all for the inputs and for pointing out the problem, I will just increase the ram.

BTW, just wondering whether a quad core i-7 is better than dual core for my application; multiple windows web surfing and online tv and live quotes? Is this consider multi tasking?

BTW, just wondering whether a quad core i-7 is better than dual core for my application; multiple windows web surfing and online tv and live quotes? Is this consider multi tasking?

Not really. I've been running an E6600 2.4GHz Dual Core for quite a while and I have quite extensive applications I have to run plus it plays all the top games with no problems. ;) Having said that I did upgrade recently to an i7-2600k and Sata III solid state drive due to engineering and physics simulation apps I run plus multiple virtual machines. Also doing more video editing where these features come in useful. It is just plain fast but overkill for your requirements.

Multi tasking, is as you show, running multiple applications concurrently and can be done, and has been for years, on just a single core machine.

I've been running an E6600 2.4GHz Dual Core for quite a while and I have quite extensive applications I have to run plus it plays all the top games with no problems. <snip>

Multi tasking, is as you show, running multiple applications concurrently and can be done, and has been for years, on just a single core machine.

+1

Running an (overclocked) E4400 here. I'll be upgrading soon though; need something with a little more juice. ;)

I expect your streaming video pausing issue is strictly a TOT internet thing. I was on the TOT 4Mb and 6Mb plans for several years and both plans couldn't do streaming video well....way too much pausing. After switching to a True cable 20Mb plan the streaming video pausing problem went away. While you are getting up to 2.6Mb on your TOT 3Mb connection I expect this 2.6Mb average includes a lot of bursting (i.e., spike in speed) and then a slow down in speed...but it averages out to 2.6Mb. Streaming video needs a consistent/smooth flow of data; not a bunch of speed-ups and slow-downs in speed. And if that 2.6Mb you mention is "in-Thailand" speed, then I expect your international speed is down around 0.5Mb to 1.5Mb which makes streaming video from farangland even more challenging.

It is just plain fast but overkill for your requirements

Thanks for the comparison on i7, so I will just stick to dual core laptop, i5 2.4 with turbo boost to 3ghz, may be buying within a year.

I expect your streaming video pausing issue is strictly a TOT internet thing. I was on the TOT 4Mb and 6Mb plans for several years and both plans couldn't do streaming video well....way too much pausing. After switching to a True cable 20Mb plan the streaming

Ok, I think I should upgrade to higher speed internet after my current 3mbps expire, thanks for pointing out. BTW, how much is your 20 mbps per month?

running a 64-bit windows OS on a 2GB RAM, it is very marginal. check the RAM upgrade configuration in the manual before any purchase.

I had a Dell notebook with 4GB RAM, yet I have a similar problem as OP described. eventually it was the problem of some device drvers from Dell.

goto Dell support website and update necessary drivers, then upgrade the RAM.

also, trim down unnecessary gadgets, it may help too !

I have an I5 and my girlfriend has an I7. The difference is very noticeable. With all due respect, don't go with the ram upgrade suggestion. Get the I7. It rocks!

But my applications are 90% internet related, have you tried to compare for web browsing?

BTW, I have trimmed down some programs at startup, it helps a little, and have increased virtual memory to 8 gig, does this work?

I have an I5 and my girlfriend has an I7. The difference is very noticeable. With all due respect, don't go with the ram upgrade suggestion. Get the I7. It rocks!

But my applications are 90% internet related, have you tried to compare for web browsing?

BTW, I have trimmed down some programs at startup, it helps a little, and have increased virtual memory to 8 gig, does this work?

Again, Web browsing, Internet streaming is predominately network (bandwidth) limited and not CPU limited. You may see some improvement in loading the browser but hardly worth the, not insignificant, cost increase to go up to an i7. The virtual memory increase will not really help that much as all it does it move programs from memory to hard drive and back slowing the system down. An increase in memory, as has been suggested, is your best boost option at minimal cost.

I have an i5 at the office and my previous E6600 dual core and now my i7 and I can see no real difference in web browsing or video streaming but in all cases I have at least 4GB memory.

Getting an i7 is not going to enhance nor improve your web browsing experience. You might as well dispense with the idea unless you're looking to build a new machine. The solution to your problem is a simple one: INSTALL MORE RAM as suggested throughout this thread.

Increasing virtual memory won't help you the least bit; if anything, it will degrade performance even further. Ideally, you want to AVOID using virtual memory or at least keep it down to a bare minimum. If your system has to constantly access the pagefile, it's time to install more RAM. No other way around it.

Virtual Memory is simply the operating system using some amount of disk space as if it were real memory.

Exactly how virtual memory is implemented is complex and well beyond what I'd want to present here. But in an over-simplified nutshell it works like this:

• You run programs that need memory. The operating system takes care of tracking which program is using what portions of memory, and allocating each program the amount of memory it needs.
  • Those programs will need more memory as they do their jobs. Opening a large document may cause your word processor to request additional memory from the operating system in order to hold the document.
  • If there isn't enough memory available to satisfy a request, the operating system may decide that another program's needs are less "important". Some of that program's memory will be freed, first by writing the contents to disk (the memory is "swapped out"), and then allocated to the program making the request.
  • Later when the program whose memory was swapped out needs it back, that memory can be "swapped in" by reading it back from disk. This might cause memory from another program to be swapped out to make room.

Also remember that the operating system itself is also just a program. So it too will have need for memory. It can allocate memery to itself and its memory may get swapped out to disk as other needs arise.

As I said, disks are slower than memory, so if the operating system is doing a lot of swapping between the two it's going to slow your computer down. If that's happening frequently or if your computer seems to be "thrashing" or constantly swapping in and out from disk, then it might be time to add some memory to your machine. It can be one of the most cost effective ways to increase your system's speed.

Source

If you can afford it go for the latest i7

I am very happy with my new machine with i7, 8Gb ram, 1tb disk Win 7 (64 bit).

It probably will not cure your video streaming problems, that is down to the ISP,

but it does help future proof your setup.

Ok, I think I should upgrade to higher speed internet after my current 3mbps expire, thanks for pointing out. BTW, how much is your 20 mbps per month?

No need to wait, just visit your nearest TOT office and upgrade, you will sign for an other 12 months though, I do this all the time.

Seems there is a promotion for 7Mbps at 390B/month???

As for processor, I always buy "faster is better"

Now running an i7/860 bought dec 2009, paid 44K.

Amortization 1k/month, will replace hardware half 2012, sell this one 10K+ something.

Definitely with some SSD memory and successor to Sandy Bridge

Some of the sites doing television broadcasts come in very slow, even big-time channels you'd think would have the budget to be geared up better. I also have the impression some US stations intentionally keep the bandwidth lousy for foreign requests -- some won't make entire shows available to other countries.

So, as pointed out by Tywais & Supernova, i-7 does not speed up or improve web browsing, and virtual memory actually slows down the computer, well I thought initially virtual memory could help solve my low ram problem as I watch it on youtube, but now I guess my only way out is to increase ram, really appreciate the detailed explaination and the comparison on dual vs quad core.

As I like to open up many windows and tabs and keep them running for references, so it can easily be 40 to 50 tabs at all times, as sometimes get side tracked by new things, and some of these tabs have advertisement pictures moving, so to open up all these tabs require ram, but what about keeping them running, does it require the processors to keep the tabs, and all those stupid pictures moving?

One more thing -- if you're experiencing constant buffering (pauses) whilst streaming video, maybe consider switching to another ISP.

No need to wait, just visit your nearest TOT office and upgrade, you will sign for an other 12 months though, I do this all the time.

Seems there is a promotion for 7Mbps at 390B/month???

Thanks for the info, will go check it out the offer?

I have doubts if it is your computer.

If you have many things installed you may consider: format the HD and make a fresh install.

I would recommend Win 7 32 Bit not 64 Bit.

Most probably the weak thing is the internet connection and a the OS eats to many resources.

After a clean installation of Win 7 install google chrome as browser and you should be able to use your computer another half year or longer.

Than you are either in the next generation of CPUs which should be much faster and use less power or you get the i5/i7 for half the price.

Mine is definitely a ram problem, as my boot up time is not very long. But talking about multi core processors, as I dig more into it, I found out there are hexa core, octa core, 12 core, 24 core, and this intel 80 core, and the craziest is this 1000 core, maybe I shall wait for a little while and see what is the development. Thanks all for postings :rolleyes:

Intel Tests Chip Design With 80-Core Processor

'Teraflops research chip' provides tremendous horsepower for designing and testing future PCs.

Following their march from standard processors to dual-core and quad-core designs in 2006, Intel researchers have built an 80-core chip that performs more than a teraflop of operations (trillions of floating point operations per second) while using less electricity than a modern desktop PC chip.

First described by Intel executives at a September trade show, the chip fits 80 cores onto a 275-square millimeter, fingernail-size chip and draws only 62 watts of power--less than many modern desktop chips.

The company has no plans to bring this "teraflop research chip" to market, but is using it to test new technologies such as high-bandwidth interconnects, energy management techniques, and a tile design method to build multicore chips, said Jerry Bautista, director of Intel's tera-scale research program. He spoke in a conference call with reporters on Friday before presenting technical details of the research at the ISSCC (Integrated Solid State Circuits Conference) trade show in San Francisco. Intel has discussed the 'era of tera' before.

1000 core Processor

Scottish researchers have built a 1000-core processor (yes, three zeros) that runs 20 times faster than current chips and uses less power. Amazingly, this chip approaches the maximum mesh diameter before the chip-network connecting the cores negatively impacts performance.

Researchers believe that this new technology will become more common and help speed up computers over the next couple years.

The research team used the greener field programmable gate array (FPGA), a specific integrated circuit design typically configured by the consumer after manufacturing, to build the chip. Since consumers can configure the FPGA, the researchers were able to use some creative program to integrate 1000 cores and divide the processing load among all 1000. Given the 100-core processor's unique customizable nature, it's actually more energy efficient than your typical modern multi-core CPU.

Back in November, Intel said that a 1,000-core processor is possible to build, but the scientists from the University of Glasgow beat Intel to the finish-line.

Given the extent of this discovery it is sure to revolutionize the way computers work. I can't wait to have one of my own so that I can do 3D fluid dynamics from my laptop instead of needing that silly super computer.

from PC World

Edited by Cobrabiker