Why Are There No Fast Food Outlets In Jomtien?

hotandhumid

Before anyone gets on their high horse, I'm not saying I want them or there should be some, but why no Mcd's, BK, KFC etc??

Is it because they don't think the area is big enough for them to come here or is there some kind of a local law to stop them trading here?

Just courious.

H&H

There WAS a KFC which closed about 2006 at the corner of Thappraya and Beach. Interestingly, something else is being constructed in that location now, I don't know what. I don't really want KFC or burger joints but I would like to see a Starbucks because that is a modern "traditional" signal that an area has arrived.

Edited by Jingthing

there is a KFC at the top of thepprasit, inside Tesco

but good point regarding jomtien beach, a McD should do OK at the corner, near Shennanigans

I do not think the "people traffic" who would actually eat at the places you mentioned is great enough to warrant the investment. The "traffic" is really up and down. Not like, say, inside MBK in Bangkok where it is typically always up. KFC was a case in point. I would love to see places like Wendy's, Popeyes, and especially Taco Bell. But I think that is a very long way off.

There WAS a KFC which closed about 2006 at the corner of Thappraya and Beach. Interestingly, something else is being constructed in that location now, I don't know what. I don't really want KFC or burger joints but I would like to see a Starbucks because that is a modern "traditional" signal that an area has arrived.

Before it was a KFC it was Land Rover/Range Rover main agent !! Be interesting to see what the latest re-incarnation brings?

And why no proper supermarket in Jomtien? Certainly enough residents living here to support one or two.

Nothing wrong with the 24hr Foodmart, they carry some great items, butchery is good, as is the bakery which has some great deli sandwiches. Wide range of wines and beers and cigars.

Just which they had fresh fish, its a trip to Makro for that

Erm.....Big C, Tesco, and Makro all have supermarkets in Jomtien....

They do, but none are easily accessible using public transport from the beach area or 2nd Rd. Only people living near Sukumvit can easily reach those supermarkets using public transport.

Jomtien needs something big on/near Beach Rd, not several km away. That would be an obvious place to put the fast food chains also, not that I would ever frequent any of them.

What is wrong is the PRICE structure. It's not competitive with the Pattaya markets ... period.

They obviously don't have the buying power of the big chains.

So sorry but I don't agree, I am thankful we have it there , or else it would be a trip to Foodland to get a lot of the stuff they carry, the bakery is far better than Tesco's or BigC.

They do also have some bargains, at the moment 1LT juices are B40, 75ML of Virgin Olive oil B170

And why no proper supermarket in Jomtien? Certainly enough residents living here to support one or two.

Nothing wrong with the 24hr Foodmart, they carry some great items, butchery is good, as is the bakery which has some great deli sandwiches. Wide range of wines and beers and cigars.

Just which they had fresh fish, its a trip to Makro for that

Agreed, they have some good sandwiches in there and stuff like potato salad and quiches.

Good point about starbucks although I prefer more traditional coffee places and there are a few of them in Jomtien.

Have you looked in 'Kappa' that new place on the corner of beach road? They have done it up very nice, can sit inside or out, have tv's on the walls, but the prices?? Would cost 500 baht + for 2 people eating a thai meal with a drink each.

I live in Jomtien so make my own brewed coffee so I don't care for the Starbucks for my own needs. But like I said it would be symbolic.

When traveling I am find them much better than average for Thailand for straight up brewed black coffee, which is strangely enough my coffee preference.

Edited by Jingthing

I live in Jomtien so make my own brewed coffee so I don't care for the Starbucks for my own needs. But like I said it would be symbolic.

When traveling I am find them much better than average for Thailand for straight up brewed black coffee, which is strangely enough my coffee preference.

So you never have a coffee outside?

STARBUCKS UUUGGGGGHHH :bah:

Doesn't matter what you think. They are very popular and nobody is making anyone spend money there.

Not locally as these days I only drink coffee in the morning and leaving the house without caffeine is not an option. Oddly when traveling I drink more coffee. Edited by Jingthing

The obvious place for a real local Jomtien supermarket is in the new booming area of Soi 5 and Jomtien Second Road.

I hope they don't remove the new refreshment stands (beer bars) and lovely hostess's to make space on Rompho Road!!:whistling:

Good point about starbucks although I prefer more traditional coffee places and there are a few of them in Jomtien.

Have you looked in 'Kappa' that new place on the corner of beach road? They have done it up very nice, can sit inside or out, have tv's on the walls, but the prices?? Would cost 500 baht + for 2 people eating a thai meal with a drink each.

Kappa's been around for years, hasn't it? Think I've been going there for at least 5 years+, but it could be less... Not sure when they opened up, but they've been around.

As for Starbucks, I too wish they'd open up a place in Jomtien, granted they are a bit overpriced, but you get what you pay for…

Doesn't matter what you think. They are very popular and nobody is making anyone spend money there.

Not locally as these days I only drink coffee in the morning and leaving the house without caffeine is not an option. Oddly when traveling I drink more coffee.

It's the popularity of Starbucks that amazes me, who is it popular with? No-one I know would ever admit to having been in one more than once!

Not locally as these days I only drink coffee in the morning and leaving the house without caffeine is not an option. Oddly when traveling I drink more coffee.

It's the popularity of Starbucks that amazes me, who is it popular with? No-one I know would ever admit to having been in one more than once!

Well, then here's the first one: I DO love Starbucks! I specially love all their iced stuff which is perfect for the Thai weather. And I'd like to have one open in Jomtien, now mostly I frequent the one in Central Festival

Strange, but of the Farangs I know, none of them go to the multinational chains.

Somebody told me the KFC closed down because of lack of customers.

There is a strong rumour that Tesco will be the anchor tenant for the proposed new shopping complex, where they have knocked down all the shacks on beach road near Soi 9, leaving a large empty site between Beach Road and New 2nd Road.

Strange, but of the Farangs I know, none of them go to the multinational chains.

Somebody told me the KFC closed down because of lack of customers.

There is a strong rumour that Tesco will be the anchor tenant for the proposed new shopping complex, where they have knocked down all the shacks on beach road near Soi 9, leaving a large empty site between Beach Road and New 2nd Road.

Good news! A Tesco would be very welcome. KFC closed in 2006. I don't care myself as I don't eat at KFC but things have changed a lot since 2006. Also, you never know why they closed anyway, could be all kinds of reasons like a landlord conflict.

As far as Starbucks, I don't understand why people would magically stop buying Starbucks in Jomtien when they do buy it in Pattaya. Of course it would need to be a high visibility area.

Edited by Jingthing