Unsure About Visa For Pregnant Wife

I'm working in Bangkok Thailand on a 1 year multiple entry. However, I am required to get out of Thailand every 3 months. My last entry is 1st week of September 2011. On the 1st week of October 2011, we got the good news that my wife is pregnant. While our doctor did not say NO to flight travel, she mention that it is best not to fly if possible. Basically, we need to fly our of Thailand by 1st week of December 2011. However, base on the calendar date, the last week of December 2011 is the earliest we should travel by flight. Anyone got any idea what we can do? Is there any exclusion?

Not sure I understand the question.

1. Your wife needs what kind of visa for where? For Thailand?

2. You have to make visa run early December? How does this involve your wife? Is she also here on same type of visa and same permitted to stay?

3. Totally confused why fight early December would be bad but late would be good medically?

4. Do you both need to get a new visa or just a new entry for multi entry visa you already have?

5. Why can you not use a land crossing?

Basically seen no alternative unless all travel medically ruled out by doctor. And that might require exam by Immigration physician to confirm.

Agree the OP is a little vague with details.

If your wife is Thai and you have a multi entry Visa then you can leave and re-enter at anytime and get another 90 days when you re-enter, you dont have to wait 90 days as that is the maximum permitted each time but you can go anytime before that. You also get another 90 days if you leave and re-enter just before the last day of the Visa, so effectively a 12 month Visa will actually give you 15 months if needed.

Believe the OP and his wife are Malaysian based on previous posts.

Not sure why he isn't getting extensions of stay given he is working here (earning to little?). I thought the minimum monthly income was about 40K/month to get an extension.

Not sure I understand the question.

1. Your wife needs what kind of visa for where? For Thailand?

2. You have to make visa run early December? How does this involve your wife? Is she also here on same type of visa and same permitted to stay?

3. Totally confused why fight early December would be bad but late would be good medically?

4. Do you both need to get a new visa or just a new entry for multi entry visa you already have?

5. Why can you not use a land crossing?

Basically seen no alternative unless all travel medically ruled out by doctor. And that might require exam by Immigration physician to confirm.

My apology. Let me clarify. My wife and I are both Malaysia. I have a B visa while she has an O visa.

1) We are both already in Thailand since early September.

2) Base on the stamp on passport, we both have to do a Visa run by early December. She is with me here in Thailand.

3) In theory, the first 3 months and last 2 month of any pregnancy, is not a good time for flight.

4) Reentry

5) Actually, I can travel by flight or land. My wife, I suppose she can travel by land. Just that, I have this other 1.5yr old child with me, who I don't think can survive the long journey. She is a real rascal.

Agree the OP is a little vague with details.

If your wife is Thai and you have a multi entry Visa then you can leave and re-enter at anytime and get another 90 days when you re-enter, you dont have to wait 90 days as that is the maximum permitted each time but you can go anytime before that. You also get another 90 days if you leave and re-enter just before the last day of the Visa, so effectively a 12 month Visa will actually give you 15 months if needed.

She is Malaysian. Yes, we can do a reentry anytime. Just not the first 90 days after conceiving. The issue is about the safety of the womb.

you say you are working...why not get an extension of stay based on your work permit?

If I am not mistaken, extension of stay only allows for 7 days. Anyway, the question mostly applies to my wife. I'm actually planning for a business trip out of Thailand in October, so I am not the person in question.

you say you are working...why not get an extension of stay based on your work permit?

If I am not mistaken, extension of stay only allows for 7 days. Anyway, the question mostly applies to my wife. I'm actually planning for a business trip out of Thailand in October, so I am not the person in question.

No, an extension of stay based on employment would allow you to stay one year, then your wife and child could apply for an extension of stay as your dependent. With that extension, you would need a single or multiple re-entry permit for travel out of Thailand and do an address report every 90 days when not traveling.

Edited by beechguy

She can get a letter explaining the fact that she is unable to travel, this can be taken to Chaengwattana and they might issue her an extension.

I suggest the OP read about extensions of stay in Thailand, and if working ask why your HR dept has not informed you correctly, as it would have saved you a lot of money.

According to OP there really appears to be no valid medical reason. The doctor did not say travel could not occur and even if air travel is not advised it is not required. Depending on location a trip to Vientiane rather than Malaysia might be better if concerned about travel time.

The Op sounds unsure, he says the Doctor said no flying then says about flying.

If he is unsure about his wife's condition then go to the Doctor and ask for clarification, if she cannot travel get a letter from the doctor stating so, take this to Chaengwattana, you will still have to do a run.

"our doctor did not say NO to flight travel" is the quote that I based my above on.

I do see your point.

OP Post - 3) In theory, the first 3 months and last 2 month of any pregnancy, is not a good time for flight.

But he does not say how far gone she is?

I would ask a doctor, then if the doctor confirms travel is okay then go for a run together, if the doc

says no to travel, then get the letter go to Chaengwattana, and you go on your visa run after sorting

hers out.

Edited by beano2274

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for your comments. However, I realize the brief comments I have given is giving a lot of confusion to feedback. So, I will try my best to clarify.

I've been working in Thailand for the past 3.5 years. My family, my wife, daughter and me are all Malaysian. I've a special 'project' work permit in Thailand which entitles me a 'B' Visa while my wife and daughter has an 'O' Visa which I believe is a dependent type. However, since mine is special 'project' work permit allows me 1 year with multiple entry, the only issue is I'm (MUST) required to travel out of Thailand every 90 days. Unlike normal work permit, just presenting yourself at the Immigration office allows another 90 days extension without need to travel outside of Thailand. In normal circumstances, we travel once every month out of Thailand, so that was never the issue.

Visa expires on June 2012

Last reentry to Thailand - 9-September 2011

Required exit from Thailand - 9-December 2011

Preferable travel for pregnant wife - 19-December 2011 onward

Prefer not to travel by land for Visa run partly due to accompanying child (1.5 years old) which requires 10 hours journey

For myself, it is not an issue as I will travelling out of Thailand on 21-October to 26-October which means upon reentry, I will get a new 90 days stamp on passport which will extend to 26-January 2012.

As mention, our doctor will NOT SAY NO to travel by flight for pregnant woman, but her preference is to avoid such travel if possible due to possible miscarriage. Anyway, here is some reading for those not aware

Pregnancy is conveniently divided into "trimesters" or three-month periods of time. Each has its own particular issues.

First trimester (0-3 months)

The first few weeks of pregnancy tend to be a mixture of excitement and anxiousness. There is the excitement of the promise of a new child but also
that sometimes things do not work out as hoped.
The risk of miscarriage is approximately one in eight, mostly occurring in the first three months of pregnancy
. Although flying does not increase that risk it has to be borne in mind when planning travel. It is wise to consider how you might cope should this happen while airborne or at your destination. The longer the flight and the more remote the destination the more you should consider this issue.

maybe an old fashioned take on bit how about teaching the little rascal how to behave, tens of thousands of kids that age travel here for 24 hour trips no problem, surly the child can be controlled for a 4-5 hour land trip. if you have not got a grip on a 1.5 years old then gawd help you in a few years.

maybe an old fashioned take on bit how about teaching the little rascal how to behave, tens of thousands of kids that age travel here for 24 hour trips no problem, surly the child can be controlled for a 4-5 hour land trip. if you have not got a grip on a 1.5 years old then gawd help you in a few years.

thanks for your deep insight

Take a bus to Cambodia and back.

Thanks everyone. I believe I have found the solution. Just need to submit TM.47 for the extension of stay over 90 days.

No, you can not.

TM.47 is for 90 day reporting done by aliens that have one year extension of stay.

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for your comments. However, I realize the brief comments I have given is giving a lot of confusion to feedback. So, I will try my best to clarify.

I've been working in Thailand for the past 3.5 years. My family, my wife, daughter and me are all Malaysian. I've a special 'project' work permit in Thailand which entitles me a 'B' Visa while my wife and daughter has an 'O' Visa which I believe is a dependent type. However, since mine is special 'project' work permit allows me 1 year with multiple entry, the only issue is I'm (MUST) required to travel out of Thailand every 90 days. Unlike normal work permit, just presenting yourself at the Immigration office allows another 90 days extension without need to travel outside of Thailand. In normal circumstances, we travel once every month out of Thailand, so that was never the issue.

Visa expires on June 2012

Last reentry to Thailand - 9-September 2011

Required exit from Thailand - 9-December 2011

Preferable travel for pregnant wife - 19-December 2011 onward

Prefer not to travel by land for Visa run partly due to accompanying child (1.5 years old) which requires 10 hours journey

For myself, it is not an issue as I will travelling out of Thailand on 21-October to 26-October which means upon reentry, I will get a new 90 days stamp on passport which will extend to 26-January 2012.

I still don't understand why you have never applied for an extension of stay? What has been the issue?

You say you MUST travel. Is this due to work commitments?

With the extension of stay, YOU can still travel (so long as you have a re-entry permit), but with your extension of stay, your wife can stay in Thailand without having to leave.

I really don't understand why you are going to insist on dragging a heavily pregnant wife on long trips (and then later with a small child) when this can be simply sorted with an extension of stay for both of you which the authorities would be able to provide so long as you earn more than 35,000 baht/month.