Briton Arrested For 530,000 Baht Bank Robbery In Chiang Mai

george

100% not 20years.

Maybe 2 years max.

You are guessing this due to the age factor ?

or the prostrate cancer, which often kills fairly rapidly.

His using the gun in his bank robbery will likely solidify his chance for an incarceration equal to the time his cancer death sentence is carried out.

There are two types of prostrate cancer one grows fast, one slow. Its a crap shoot which one you get.

With this bank robber's propensity for good luck, I wouldn't count on the latter.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The security @ most Thai Banks is non-existant. My pub mates joke about how easy it would be to knock over a Thai Bank. Mr Wynn obviously got the same idea. These banks would be knocked over in a flash in the USA. I've seen a scooter courier stuff about 1 Million ThB into a ratty shoulder bag and saunter off to deliver it. The lack of security is really laughable.

thais expect people not to steal ,if you steal the punishments are harsh and the conditions horrfiic

most thais know this and dont steal so the rate of bank robberies are very low

there is a "money tree" with bank notes stuck all over the branches in plain view beside the temple ,people might have no money ,but they all know not to touch that tree ....:whistling:

there are no fools like old fools - the same sort of guys that get cleaned out by Thai girls/boys - maybe that bank robberies and bogus charity collecting are their way of trying to get money back. Happydays at the Hilton :rolleyes:

His motorcycle and some of the money was siezed during the arrest. How much was some and what happened to the rest? looking at the pic I would estimate 150K on the table at most in 100 baht wads

When the robbery happened the first story spread around locally was 700K was taken. Like you say there is not 530K on the table so it makes you wonder if there is an insurance job going on here behind the door.

British Senior Citizen Trained at Fitness Centre Before Chiang Mai Bank Heist

Published by Andrew Drummond

A retired Briton was under arrest in Thailand and facing 25 years in jail today after pulling off an armed bank heist in the Northern capital of Chiang Mai.

wynn-knees-police.jpg

Michael Wynn - The bitter end of the hunt

Michael Wynn, 63, was arrested early this morning (Monday) at a £150 a month apartment, five days after the robbery at a bank in the city centre.

Thai Police said Wynn trained at a ‘Fitness Thailand’ gym before and after the robbery last Wednesday. [more...]

Full story and pictures: http://andrew-drummo...ory.php?sid=450

-- andrew-drummond.com 2011-10-11

footer_n.gif

my sympathies... no wonder the alleged robber attempted to rob the bank... he's staying in a cheap GBP150 apartment. Maybe he wanted an upgrade both his apartment and his gym membership.

You know... when I hear about this type of thing I feel these people are quite normal when they arrive in Thailand then they just get worn down over the years with the constant cons against them - being ripped off day after day - then they just snap and lash out and start copying the Thais and do something stupid. :ermm:

You know... when I hear about this type of thing I feel these people are quite normal when they arrive in Thailand then they just get worn down over the years with the constant cons against them - being ripped off day after day - then they just snap and lash out and start copying the Thais and do something stupid. :ermm:

farangs get stung right ,left and centre in thai scams,rip-offs and overcharging ,the police stations at khao san road or sukhumvit alone is full of farangs every night of the week and for one reason or another they are being relieved of their money

this is the first one ive seen whos robbed a bank though :)

there are no fools like old fools - the same sort of guys that get cleaned out by Thai girls/boys - maybe that bank robberies and bogus charity collecting are their way of trying to get money back. Happydays at the Hilton :rolleyes:

My theory is that he was reading this website and saw constant references to farang criminals being held for 20 years at the Bangkok Hilton. He checked out its rating on TripAdvisor.com and thought "Hmmm, I wouldn't mind being held under house arrest there for 20 years in the lap of luxury, with a lavish buffet breakfast spread every every morning, a world-class spa, 300 thread count Egyptian cotton bedsheets, complimentary Evian water, a pillow menu with 8 choices of pillows, and of course the ability to call out for female companionship. How shattered he's going to be when he realizes that the "Bangkok Hilton" is actually a euphemism and farang criminals aren't actually kept there but in the common jail with Thais...

Its <deleted> IDIOT farang like this that are turning the thais feeling against all white foreigners. Just as it has happened in the US,UK,Germany,denmark, etc when "foreigners" commit major crimes. Drugs, muder, robberies.

Thanks to blockheads like this guy, visas are are getting harder to obtain,more background checks, and more cost. Get this kind of scum back the which they came. Thailand was wide open and fun place for farang to be

when I came here 25 years ago....There should be a farang court with farang expat jurists to decide the fate of J/offs like this guy. Why does it seem like there are so many english and swedes that are committing the crimes here

...maybe just impartial reporting, i hope that is the case.

That used to happen: Read Dick Wood's wondefull book 'Consul in Paradise' and you will learn that around the turn of the 20th century, the Thai's were not allowed to try British Subjects for any crimes - from robbery to murder,

Dick wood himself as a junior consular officer aged only in his 20's had to sit in judgement on British subjects - and at that time of course that meant Indians, Shan (Thai Yai) and other sugbjects - not just whites from the motherland. Reading some of the things he sat in judgement on, it appears that foreigners have been committing crimes in Thialand for a very long time - as foreigners have in almost every country on the planet. With anywhere from

100,000 to 250,000 resident white farangs plus millions of tourists, some long stayers, it is inevitable that there will be a few rotten eggs creep in.

This guy Mr Wynne was, according to Andrew Drummond was born in Germany. The lady above worries about about Africans getting blamed for crimes in Thailand. In this gloabl village crime is not reserved for the locals!!

Most of the Thias I've spoken to so far, are rather amused at the elderley Farang gunsinger who robbed a bank.

Another news item from 2010, likely about this gentleman:

'Nabbed!' The conman of Samui

post-128-0-76573100-1318231304_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of thailandtimes.asia

SAMUI: -- An English man – Mr. Mike Wynn – was arrested by police on Koh Samui yesterday, and initially charged with stealing a motorbike.

He was apparently returning to Koh Samui from the mainland, and was arrested by police as he left the ferry in Nathon, Koh Samui's main ferry port.

Further charges are expected to be brought against Mr. Mike Wynn, who has managed to evade capture by the police for many months after being named as the man – along with another, as yet unidentified man – fraudulently collecting money on behalf of various charity/worthwhile organisations on the island of Koh Samui. (refer back to Thailand Times article 'Snapped – the conman of Samui' for more details).

Although there is little likelyhood that any 'donations' given to the man will be returned, one kind-hearted doner – who was conned out of 15,000 baht – is more than happy that the fraudster is now safely behind bars.

An English volunteer paramedic who is a member of Samui Rescue – one of the organisations that Mr. Wynn was collecting 'donations' for – said "I am delighted that the law finally caught up with this man. There is no doubt that he has been given thousands of baht by kind-hearted people on Samui – both Thai and farang – over the year or so that he has been doing this. To effectively steal from charitable organisations is despicable, and he deserves to face the court so that some kind of justice can be given – not least of all to all those good people who he ripped-off."

Mr. Wynn's accomplice has yet to be identified, however, it is hoped that Mr. Wynn will be able to help police in bringing him to justice too.

Source: http://thailandtimes...onman-of-samui/

:lol: Great News Let us hope that at long last this con man come bank robber is locked up in the Bangkok Hilton for a very long time :crying:

Another news item from 2010, likely about this gentleman:

‘Nabbed!’ The conman of Samui

post-128-0-76573100-1318231304_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of thailandtimes.asia

SAMUI: -- An English man – Mr. Mike Wynn – was arrested by police on Koh Samui yesterday, and initially charged with stealing a motorbike.

He was apparently returning to Koh Samui from the mainland, and was arrested by police as he left the ferry in Nathon, Koh Samui’s main ferry port.

Further charges are expected to be brought against Mr. Mike Wynn, who has managed to evade capture by the police for many months after being named as the man – along with another, as yet unidentified man – fraudulently collecting money on behalf of various charity/worthwhile organisations on the island of Koh Samui. (refer back to Thailand Times article ‘Snapped – the conman of Samui’ for more details).

Although there is little likelyhood that any ‘donations’ given to the man will be returned, one kind-hearted doner – who was conned out of 15,000 baht – is more than happy that the fraudster is now safely behind bars.

An English volunteer paramedic who is a member of Samui Rescue – one of the organisations that Mr. Wynn was collecting ‘donations’ for – said “I am delighted that the law finally caught up with this man. There is no doubt that he has been given thousands of baht by kind-hearted people on Samui – both Thai and farang – over the year or so that he has been doing this. To effectively steal from charitable organisations is despicable, and he deserves to face the court so that some kind of justice can be given – not least of all to all those good people who he ripped-off.”

Mr. Wynn’s accomplice has yet to be identified, however, it is hoped that Mr. Wynn will be able to help police in bringing him to justice too.

Source: http://thailandtimes.asia/thailand-news/nabbed-the-conman-of-samui/

Congratulations to the Royal Thai Police, seems this old bloke finally reached his destination in the Hilton..... Farang like these give us all a bad reputation and there are a lot more around!!!

Its <deleted> IDIOT farang like this that are turning the thais feeling against all white foreigners. Just as it has happened in the US,UK,Germany,denmark, etc when "foreigners" commit major crimes. Drugs, muder, robberies.

Thanks to blockheads like this guy, visas are are getting harder to obtain,more background checks, and more cost. Get this kind of scum back the which they came. Thailand was wide open and fun place for farang to be

when I came here 25 years ago....There should be a farang court with farang expat jurists to decide the fate of J/offs like this guy. Why does it seem like there are so many english and swedes that are committing the crimes here

...maybe just impartial reporting, i hope that is the case.

That used to happen: Read Dick Wood's wondefull book 'Consul in Paradise' and you will learn that around the turn of the 20th century, the Thai's were not allowed to try British Subjects for any crimes - from robbery to murder,

Dick wood himself as a junior consular officer aged only in his 20's had to sit in judgement on British subjects - and at that time of course that meant Indians, Shan (Thai Yai) and other sugbjects - not just whites from the motherland. Reading some of the things he sat in judgement on, it appears that foreigners have been committing crimes in Thialand for a very long time - as foreigners have in almost every country on the planet. With anywhere from

100,000 to 250,000 resident white farangs plus millions of tourists, some long stayers, it is inevitable that there will be a few rotten eggs creep in.

This guy Mr Wynne was, according to Andrew Drummond was born in Germany. The lady above worries about about Africans getting blamed for crimes in Thailand. In this gloabl village crime is not reserved for the locals!!

Most of the Thias I've spoken to so far, are rather amused at the elderley Farang gunsinger who robbed a bank.

Dick Wood wasn't a consul. He was involved in the teak industry and earned a Military Cross in the second world war. Inscribed on his headstone in the foreigners' cemetery in Chiang Mai is "RW Wood MC - An Asian Legend".

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/history_teak.htm

WAR Wood (no relation to Dick Wood) was a consul. WAR Wood wrote 'a consul in paradise'.

http://www.silkwormbooks.com/reviews/consul-in-paradise/

These farang bank robbers are the strangest criminals here. I don't know how they expect to get away with such a high profile crime being a member of such a tiny minority group

the climate ,the sangsom and beeya chang ,the sex ,the perpettual holiday thing that happens to farangs in thailand must have got too much for him :rolleyes:

Well, after all, we're all just here for the sex and drugs and roch and roll, aren't we? :lol:

These farang bank robbers are the strangest criminals here. I don't know how they expect to get away with such a high profile crime being a member of such a tiny minority group

the climate ,the sangsom and beeya chang ,the sex ,the perpettual holiday thing that happens to farangs in thailand must have got too much for him :rolleyes:

Well, after all, we're all just here for the sex and drugs and roch and roll, aren't we? :lol:

well ,some people might come for the culture.... :whistling:

the reporting website says

he is a former police officer from the United Kingdom. Retired and living in Thailand two years ago, visas expire, and believed to have prostate cancer. Robbery took place using a gun & knife

but it's early days for correct reporting

I thought British coppers didn't carry guns.:D

Its <deleted> IDIOT farang like this that are turning the thais feeling against all white foreigners. Just as it has happened in the US,UK,Germany,denmark, etc when "foreigners" commit major crimes. Drugs, muder, robberies. Thanks to blockheads like this guy, visas are are getting harder to obtain,more background checks, and more cost. Get this kind of scum back the which they came. Thailand was wide open and fun place for farang to be when I came here 25 years ago....There should be a farang court with farang expat jurists to decide the fate of J/offs like this guy. Why does it seem like there are so many english and swedes that are committing the crimes here...maybe just impartial reporting, i hope that is the case.

Spot on.

To some this event may appear funny, but actually the actions of these dick heads reflects on all of us and then the Thais begin tarring all us whiteys with the same brush, no matter what our nationalities.

Yes, these vermin coming into the country do and will affect the visa regulations, making things tougher by the year.

I believe the reasons these vermin commit such crimes is because they believe crime in Thailand is easy peesy due to it`s lax law enforcements and security.

But make no mistake, the Thais approach of politeness and tolerance does not equal stupid, as this idiot has discovered.

So for him the Welcome to Thailand will soon turn into Welcome to Hell.

Yet another product of the superior British educational system.

Think he's a bit old to blame that, he/we would have been dealt with at school for being naughty, with six whacks on the hands or bum with a bamboo cane :huh:. We were educated but also disciplined.

If he were 20 odd l would agree. :)

You are prt of a a product of a criminal free generation are you? I wasn't aware that there ever was one. There was corporal punishment at my Secondary school but I can't say that it resulted in high standards of behaviour ; Anyway that's off topic! The guy in CM is obviously a d*ckhead to rob a bank in this age of CCTV . I wonder if he even went to school.

Yeah I'm scared to walk out of my own front door for the fear of being ripped off on a daily basis by those dishonest, thieving, devious Thais. :lol:

Edited by mca

Think he's a bit old to blame that, he/we would have been dealt with at school for being naughty, with six whacks on the hands or bum with a bamboo cane :huh:. We were educated but also disciplined.

The guy in CM is obviously a d*ckhead to rob a bank in this age of CCTV . I wonder if he even went to school.

it seems like he got caught because of his farang skin + build and driving past the bank suspiciously multiple times before he went in and robbed it ,and locals knew and recognised him as the "farang from the gym " when he was doing his multiple drivings past in the minutes before the robbery

if he had of moved to bangkok and got lost in a farang area he might have gotten away with it instead of going back to the gym right after the robbery

it took 5 days to figure out it was him when he was living under their noses in the same area as the robbery and 5 days later he still had all the clothes the robber was wearing in his apartment

the guy must have thought he was invisible :rolleyes:

The guy in CM is obviously a d*ckhead to rob a bank in this age of CCTV . I wonder if he even went to school.

it seems like he got caught because of his farang skin + build and driving past the bank suspiciously multiple times before he went in and robbed it ,and locals knew and recognised him as the "farang from the gym " when he was doing his multiple drivings past in the minutes before the robbery

if he had of moved to bangkok and got lost in a farang area he might have gotten away with it instead of going back to the gym right after the robbery

it took 5 days to figure out it was him when he was living under their noses in the same area as the robbery and 5 days later he still had all the clothes the robber was wearing in his apartment

the guy must have thought he was invisible :rolleyes:

Maybe he was a member of Thai Visa and believed all the posts written about how incompetent the BIB are.