Spanish Tapas

lemel

After listening to the yanks winge about Mexican food or lack of, I woud like to put forward a case for a good old Spanish Tapas bar/restaurant!!! I am sure there are enough people who would appreciate a good old Spanish Paella, Gambas Pil Pil ,albondigas, la tortilla de patatas, jamon serrano or pollo chilindron!!! Its the one thing about Europe I miss and I can not believe that there is only one Spanish restaurant in Pattaya/Jomtien. Is there not any Spanish entrepreneurs our there to help our request!! Is there a a demand for good Spanish food or is it just me???

Pattaya is just too unsophisticated to sustain such a place. It's a social event, ordering a good glass of wine and having some food atop the glass so as not to drink on an empty stomach.

If the Russians tourists got into it, then maybe it would have a chance. Otherwise, forget about it.

What about the new place in Jomtien Complex? East Tapas Lounge. Where Pagoda used to be.

Yes they have a number of Spanish style tapas on the menu. Also paella served for two for 450 baht. I can't vouch for the food. I spoke to someone there where it was made clear they have no training in Spanish cooking from an actual Spanish chef, don't use much olive oil because its "too expensive" and learn from cookbooks. OP, try it and let us know. It is not a dedicated Spanish restaurant though. I suggested to them they go all out, brand as a Spanish restaurant, and get a Spanish chef. This guy thought no demand.

Also note, this place has crema Catalona on the menu! First time I saw that in Thailand. Not saying its good, but its on the menu.

There is also Natans on Thappraya road near the Hanuman statue. It's a charming frou frou place, very gay popular. They have some tapas items, mostly not classically Spanish. I tried the tortilla Espanol there which was a large sized portion. It was soaking in BUTTER. It tasted French, not Spanish. I complained and advised them if you are going to call it tortilla Espanol it needs to be made with olive oil. I bet the house they haven't changed the recipe.

Of course, I also love paella. Can we go over where it is available at least some dishes in Pattaya?

Paella is sometimes served as a special at Canary Bay Jomtien which is an Alsatian restaurant. It was awful to my taste. Sometimes served as a small dish special at La Petite Planette near Tukcom. Not real paella served in a bowl, boring but not offensive. Other ideas?

Oh yes, just remembered for formal Spanish place on Thepprasit. Have heard poor reports on that place.

I have mentioned this before and I wouldn't bet it would work here, but I wonder. In Madrid I noticed in some high traffic areas they would have huge pots of prepared paella on offer to hungry people passing by. Of course because of the volume it was cheaper than in a formal restaurant. Kind of like the way yellow Muslim chicken rice is sold in Thailand. Believe it or not, paella served that way can be very tasty.

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya is just too unsophisticated to sustain such a place. It's a social event, ordering a good glass of wine and having some food atop the glass so as not to drink on an empty stomach.

If the Russians tourists got into it, then maybe it would have a chance. Otherwise, forget about it.

Not sure if I agree at all. In Spain some of the most hopping tapas bars accommodate single diners very well, often at counters.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

There's a relatively new, small place opened up on the road that runs along the East end of Soi Nern Plub Wan (same road that has The Courthouse on it) with a large sign outside that says "PAELLA". I'm guessing they sell paella. Not sure about tapas though. I've not yet tried it but it's on my "to-do" list.

To get there, coming from Sukhumvit go to the very end of Soi Nern Plub Wan (by the temple) and turn left. After maybe 500m look for a large Paella sign on your left. If I remember rightly it's just before the (also relatively new) shop selling/renting big motorbikes which I think may be called Pattaya Big Bikes.

If anyone does try it before me I'd be interested to hear comments/reviews.

Will try the place in Jomtien complex at the weekend, must admit did not know it was there. Tried the one on Theppasit, enough said!

will look at the one on Soi Nermplabwan on Friday. Lived in Spain for a few years and miss lunchtimes, sat at the bar with a glass of wine, 4-5 small plates of tapas with crusty bread, olive oil, alioli and balsamic hmmmmm getting hungry just thinking about it. Tried a few in Bangkok and the one on soi 11 is quite good, great Albondigas but lacks a bit of atmosphere. Not impressed with the others!

Will try the place in Jomtien complex at the weekend, must admit did not know it was there. Tried the one on Theppasit, enough said!

will look at the one on Soi Nermplabwan on Friday. Lived in Spain for a few years and miss lunchtimes, sat at the bar with a glass of wine, 4-5 small plates of tapas with crusty bread, olive oil, alioli and balsamic hmmmmm getting hungry just thinking about it. Tried a few in Bangkok and the one on soi 11 is quite good, great Albondigas but lacks a bit of atmosphere. Not impressed with the others!

Just out of cuoriosity, how were the Thai restos in your locale in Spain?

Not sure if I agree at all. In Spain some of the most hopping tapas bars accommodate single diners very well, often at counters.

That's because they are already 'hopping'. :) It's just a different culture. A single diner may eat and drink standing at the bar, sitting down costing a little more.

Can you imagine the Pattaya 'residents' getting in to it? Unless you can interest the Russians and the Thais, forget about it.

Well if you ever come to Bangers, try out Spanish on 4 (I am sure JT knows where that is :whistling:) and it's sister restaurant located on Suk 11, beside Charlie Browns.

The one on the Suk next to Charley Browns is excellent. I eat there a lot when I'm in Bangkok. thumbsup.gif

Well if you ever come to Bangers, try out Spanish on 4 (I am sure JT knows where that is :whistling:) and it's sister restaurant located on Suk 11, beside Charlie Browns.

The one on the Suk next to Charley Browns is excellent. I eat there a lot when I'm in Bangkok. thumbsup.gif

same owner as the one on Silom Soi 4 - same menu good food !

I once flew from Samui to Pattaya with a Spanish guy who had a bar / restaurant in town that did Spanish food. Last saw him a couple of years ago but he'd been in Pattaya years. My memory puts it on one of the Sois between 7/8 and Centre Road.

same owner as the one on Silom Soi 4 - same menu good food !

+1, I was in there yesterday again, great food but not very customer friendly or efficient...was in Hua Hin last week at the other restaurant that was part of the same group but has now gone alone called "Cool Breeze", food a touch better and the Paella is the dogs nuts!!!! also very customer friendly!

Have a subcontractor that yaks it up about Tapas on 11. Been there about four times. I can't say I am impressed with the concept but I suppose it's like any sort of cuisine or subset thereof. Some people kill for Mexican while others give it a wide berth. He did comment that the tall French lady (part owner?) seems to make a difference in service and quality. We only caught her once at the Soi 11 locale so assume she's at the Silom one more?

Have a subcontractor that yaks it up about Tapas on 11. Been there about four times. I can't say I am impressed with the concept but I suppose it's like any sort of cuisine or subset thereof. Some people kill for Mexican while others give it a wide berth. He did comment that the tall French lady (part owner?) seems to make a difference in service and quality. We only caught her once at the Soi 11 locale so assume she's at the Silom one more?

I don't think I would kill for Mexican as this is Spanish which is different, so I don't know what concept you are comparing it with , but I think you mean Cindy (the tall french lady), I believe she moves between the two.

I don't think I would kill for Mexican as this is Spanish which is different, so I don't know what concept you are comparing it with , but I think you mean Cindy (the tall french lady), I believe she moves between the two.

My point exactly! Mexican CUISINE leaves you cold; Tapas (the CUISINE) leaves me cold. You mentioned yanks and Mexican in your OP as a kick-off for this topic so why the sudden loss of comprehension... unless you reckon Mexican isn't a cuisine and tapas is? I wasn't comparing them but tapas is pretentious unless it is served in Spain.

Cindy... that's her.

Edited by NanLaew

My point exactly! Mexican CUISINE leaves you cold; Tapas (the CUISINE) leaves me cold. You mentioned yanks and Mexican in your OP as a kick-off for this topic so why the sudden loss of comprehension... unless you reckon Mexican isn't a cuisine and tapas is? I wasn't comparing them but tapas is pretentious unless it is served in Spain.

Cindy... that's her.

OK, so it leaves you cold, fine, we are talking about Spanish, if your not interested, then go forth and multiply and stop whinging, why do you bother repling on a subject that your not interested in and think is pretentious????? on second thoughts dont bother, I can not be arsed listening to someone like you, if you have not got anything better to say go away and start your own thread!