Light Switches

travelmann

Coming from the UK I see Thai light switches are on upside down for me, on speaking to my Dad last night he told me why, he said years ago America had big rocker switches that would break and eventually the light would turn itself on with age so to get round this they truned the "on" side the other way around. so when the unit failed it didnt leave the light s on.

I have noticed recently though 2 condos with the switches what I would call the right way a round with "on" being pressed down at the bottom

Any ideas/reason??

A simple solution:

1. Turn of the power at the mains

2. Unscrew the switch, turn it through 180, and resecure.

3. Turn on the power

If you do not feel happy doing the change yourself

then I feel sure there is a local handy man who will do the

job for a few baht.

I love the American story.

Fit the switch upside down, instead of curing the design fault.............. :bah:

I like the American story too, does your Dad know why the Americans drive on the wrong side of the road.:D

6 years and I still get confused with the light switches.:blink:

The electric wiring in Thailand is supposed to be BLACK live and GREY neutral, the alleged electrician that did our house wiring made all GREY wire LIVE, and so again coming from the UK myself I prefer that, as it is common for older electric wiring in UK to be a BLACK neutral.:)

A simple solution:

3. Turn on the power

job for a few baht.

Fit the switch upside down, instead of curing the design fault.............. :bah:

I like the one where you have all twin 3 pin earthed outlets but you can only plug in one 3 pin plug at a time. :lol: Dumb or what. :rolleyes:

What about 3-way switches, common in staircases. There you will never know if the switch should be up or down for turning on/off the light.

Guess it's all a simple trial and error process. :)

A simple solution:

3. Turn on the power

job for a few baht.

Yes by all means turn off the power. Then unscrew the switch. then check all connections for soundness, you should now be safe to turn it through 180% and resecure then turn power on. For gods sake never bring in a Thai handyman, for them it is red to red,black to black, blue to bits.

jb1

What about 3-way switches, common in staircases. There you will never know if the switch should be up or down for turning on/off the light.

Guess it's all a simple trial and error process. :)

Agree, those could cause a bit more stress. :D

I like the American story too, does your Dad know why the Americans drive on the wrong side of the road.:D

The electric wiring in Thailand is supposed to be BLACK live and GREY neutral, the alleged electrician that did our house wiring made all GREY wire LIVE, and so again coming from the UK myself I prefer that, as it is common for older electric wiring in UK to be a BLACK neutral.:)

Well they cant build good cars so it doesnt matter which side they drive on....................he said hahhah :rolleyes:

Industrial switches are invariably up for 'on', take a look in your breaker box, up for on.

The UK is somewhat unusual in having down for on (at least on light switches) but to be honest I don't have a problem either way, find the switch, operate it, a light will come on. Problem solved.

As to why, an old hand told me that it's easier to pull down than push up (big breakers obviously), so with your dying breath you can turn off the power, lord only knows if there's any truth in it.

Im the same still have to think every time, and my biggest problem is the other wire that earth thingy, very rare is that to find :rolleyes:

Im the same still have to think every time, and my biggest problem is the other wire that earth thingy, very rare is that to find :rolleyes:

For sure, usually use your finger. If it ''ouch'' then not have a thingy. :lol:

I have presence detectors fitted, no light switch required.

For the simple reason, that my wife would always leave the kitchen/bathroom, or whatever room she walked into on!

with lux adjustments, and movement adjustments, they are excellent, will only come on after a certain level of light, and will go off after a set time with no movement!!

For the simple reason, that my wife would always leave the kitchen/bathroom, or whatever room she walked into on!

with lux adjustments, and movement adjustments, they are excellent, will only come on after a certain level of light, and will go off after a set time with no movement!!

Wow. :unsure:

Industrial switches are invariably up for 'on', take a look in your breaker box, up for on.

The UK is somewhat unusual in having down for on (at least on light switches) but to be honest I don't have a problem either way, find the switch, operate it, a light will come on. Problem solved.

As to why, an old hand told me that it's easier to pull down than push up (big breakers obviously), so with your dying breath you can turn off the power, lord only knows if there's any truth in it.

your dying breath you can turn off the power :o

Used to work with these "old boys"American linesman when with ARAMCO in Saudi about 35 odd years ago and that was their philosophy and made sense.

When you climb up a pole push up and switch on,however if you have a heart attack on top and fall off then you can safely knock the system down (as you head for wherever you believe in)and not only make safe the supply...principles etc... :unsure: .. but also saves the boss some money.

uk was always a bit back 2 front ...doncha... :D ...

Spoken like someone who has never been to France or Germany. The entire continent of Europe. Only one set of wrong way Feltons.

But enjoy your ignorance. Your empire ended 150 years ago.

Well they cant build good cars so it doesnt matter which side they drive on....................he said hahhah :rolleyes:

I believe Rover and Land Rover is Ford as well as Jaguar, and isn't Vauxhall GM? Bently and Rolls are German, are there even any British cars left? Perhaps a Bristol which I'm sure your average Brit can afford.

I believe Rover and Land Rover is Ford as well as Jaguar, and isn't Vauxhall GM? Bently and Rolls are German, are there even any British cars left? Perhaps a Bristol which I'm sure your average Brit can afford.

Land Rover/Jag..made by ..TATA...good old Indian company :D

Believe that they also do a Nano for summit like 42 s"tang.. :unsure: voom..voorm..

For a while, I worked in an office outfitted with these motion detector switches. Right when you were alone, engaged in deep thought, maybe reading something, the lights would go off. The maintenance people said the solution was to wave your arms wildly when the light went out. Really interrupted your train of thought.

In the U.S., all the home I've lived in have had so many three-way switches that we didn't worry about "which way was on". The last home was very interesting in that it was built in the 1890s and had several electrical systems that had been installed and abandoned -- or at least parts of the system had been abandoned. We had numerous light switches that didn't seem to operate anything.

Oh, I don't buy the "Americans wanted switches to fail-off" theory of the OPs Dad. It implies that Americans are incapable of going to the nearest Home Depot, buying a new switch and installing it. As has been mentioned, this is a job that anyone with a screw driver and enough brains to turn off the circuit breaker can do.

Edited by NancyL

That's odd about the driving, because that's exactly what we ask in the US, How come everybody in the world is driving on the wrong side of the road ? However, have to agree about the part that we build crappy cars. You should know that only started when the American Unions got the guys on the assembly line $32 an hour to screw in 1 bolt. They got so rich they could afford the expensive Japanese and German cars and never looked back.

I like the one where you have all twin 3 pin earthed outlets but you can only plug in one 3 pin plug at a time. :lol: Dumb or what. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean.

One socket, one plug, twin socket, two plugs!!

No adapters please, safety, my friend.

Christmas trees of adapters plugged in one on top of another are a fire hazard,

just waiting to happen

Try Indian?

For a while, I worked in an office outfitted with these motion detector switches. Right when you were alone, engaged in deep thought, maybe reading something, the lights would go off. The maintenance people said the solution was to wave your arms wildly when the light went out. Really interrupted your train of thought.

In the U.S., all the home I've lived in have had so many three-way switches that we didn't worry about "which way was on". The last home was very interesting in that it was built in the 1890s and had several electrical systems that had been installed and abandoned -- or at least parts of the system had been abandoned. We had numerous light switches that didn't seem to operate anything.

Oh, I don't buy the "Americans wanted switches to fail-off" theory of the OPs Dad. It implies that Americans are incapable of going to the nearest Home Depot, buying a new switch and installing it. As has been mentioned, this is a job that anyone with a screw driver and enough brains to turn off the circuit breaker can do.

You obviously dont know the avearge ( I wont say American) person then, as I spent 30 years in maintenance I saw it all.:whistling:

That's odd about the driving, because that's exactly what we ask in the US, How come everybody in the world is driving on the wrong side of the road ? However, have to agree about the part that we build crappy cars. You should know that only started when the American Unions got the guys on the assembly line $32 an hour to screw in 1 bolt. They got so rich they could afford the expensive Japanese and German cars and never looked back.

Are you serious? I know there are a lot of Americans that hasn't got a clue about the 'world' outside of their own city or state, and definitely no knowledge about anything outside of the US.

But Americans that travel the world usually are more educated. So what do you think the percentage is, of countries that do drive on the left side of the road, or the wrong side as you state it?

Everybody (except you) that would amount to 99.5%, please let me know you're kidding…:blink: