Cow'S Milk In Thailand

Card

I have been making my own Greek-style yogurt and discovered the other day that the reason it is so creamy is that the fat content of the starting cow's milk in Thailand is about 9-11% (fresh whole milk or full UHT) according to the label. Low fat milk is about 4% and skimmed milk is genuinely 0%. I have checked on the internet and most places say it should be about 3-4% for whole milk and 2% for sem-skimmed. This means my strained yogurt must contain about 20% fat - no wonder it tastes so good!Can anyone explain why whole or reduced fat milk sold in supermarkets in Thailand is so high in fat?

I do not know either , I also noticed that my Greek yogurt was very thick and creamy. So much so that I am planning to make cheese, Mexican Queso Fresco

which only requires you to heat the milk, after the milk is heated you add lime juice or vineger , and after it breaks to spoon the curd into the cheese cloth and

hang it to drain out the whey. You have queso fresco add salt and spices to taste, the queso will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. (salt & spices are optional)

Cheers;:)

I do not know either , I also noticed that my Greek yogurt was very thick and creamy. So much so that I am planning to make cheese, Mexican Queso Fresco

which only requires you to heat the milk, after the milk is heated you add lime juice or vineger , and after it breaks to spoon the curd into the cheese cloth and

hang it to drain out the whey. You have queso fresco add salt and spices to taste, the queso will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. (salt & spices are optional)

This is exactly the same method as for Italian Ricotta cheese. You can buy sacs of reusable cotton filters supported by metal loops in Central Dept. store and Makro (maybe other supermarkets too) that are ideal for draining off whey - 3 sizes - I use the middle one and drain it into those plastic spagetti boxes bought from Tops.

I'm still hoping to get a clue about Thai milk - I wonder if it is fortified with cream as it has the same cream content as American 1/2 and 1/2. Strange, but hardly healthy, but the Foremost full UHT milk with Duchi starter does make wonderful Greek yogurt and I wouldn't want to change that. The semi-skimmed milk is only 1/2 as good as you would expect. I use 3 litres of the UHT milk and it makes about 2.25 litres of very thick yogurt - mm. delicious and best without anything added - great for making frozen yogurt, dips and esp on fruit and puddings and cakes. Oh and if u drain for a long time - it goes like clotted cream - ideal for cheesecakes.

Edited by Card

i started to make what we call cottage cheese but i found the milk was unpredictable,some times it would curdle other times it wouldnt,i was wondering if water was added.i was useing about 3lts.milk and only getting a small tub.

Maybe because you are not reading the label correctly? :whistling:

Whole milk here is 3-3.25% butterfat. Meiji sells a premium whole milk that is 4.25% BF. Skim is as you read 2% and 0% is....0%.

I don't use uht milk as it tastes awful unless ...well it tastes awful.