2012 Model Pickup Trucks

This was bought up in another thread, but the couple of charts floating around online at the moment have some notable innacuracies, so this is my attempt at a better one ;)

Note that this data is limited to what's been published publicly by the respective manufacturers, so isn't quite as detailed as it could be, but it's still good enough for comparative puposes..

2012pickuptorquecompari.png

Good job....that new Ford looks pretty impressive and the Chevy close behind...if the Mitsubishi changed the weird body style,they would be close too...hope the image will change in Thai community,so the market will be more competitive.I guess,the only problem for the Ford and the Chevy is the resale value...

The Ford 3.2 with 470nm between 1600 - 2800 RPM is really does seem like it is going to be streets ahead of all the others to me. Chevy's 470nm peak torque is simply a headline figure to make the brochure look good and claim to be as torquey as the Ford. At 1600 the Chevy is about 90nm down on the Ford. MB did the same with their 250 CDI's, 500nm between 1600 - 1800 RPM to try and appear much more powerful than their German competitors.

The Ford with a good piggyback will be exciting.

In real world driving the Ford will feel much, much stronger than everything else IMHO.biggrin.gif

BTW, thanks for the graph MRO.

Edited by Woodsie888

The Ford 3.2 with 470nm between 1600 - 2800 RPM is really does seem like it is going to be streets ahead of all the others to me. Chevy's 470nm peak torque is simply a headline figure to make the brochure look good and claim to be as torquey as the Ford. At 1600 the Chevy is about 90nm down on the Ford. MB did the same with their 250 CDI's, 500nm between 1600 - 1800 RPM to try and appear much more powerful than their German competitors.

In real world driving the Ford will feel much, much stronger than everything else IMHO.biggrin.gif

agreed

the ford 3,2 has obviously been limited to 470Nm, thus the long flat curve, while chev 2,8 has been tweeked to peak deliver same tourque for a brief moment

agreed

the ford 3,2 has obviously been limited to 470Nm, thus the long flat curve, while chev 2,8 has been tweeked to peak deliver same tourque for a brief moment

250 - 260 & maybe 550nm, when tweaked a bit, what do you reckon?

agreed

with the cheap racechip pro, its 258Hp and 559Nm, remove cat and it improves

advanced tuning, a good deal more :D

agreed

That'll be me then! A white one. February suddenly seems quite a wait.

I notice that Racechip actually publish a dyno plot for the Ford 3.2L:

Ford-Transit-6-3-2-TDCI-2834-2.png

if these are genuine, its not much point of going further with chips, as engine is actually reaching its peaks with existing hardware and racechipspro

I would assume all racechips info is with euroIV all in place, as if not hevay fines around the corner, so in Th we have the advantage of being able to drop to Euro III without anyone lifting an eybrow ;)

If it is accurate, and it probably is due to some EU directives, it sure looks like a fun result. How much more than a million do you guys think it will be priced at? 1,060,000 - 1090,000? (Wildtrak A/T 4WD Double Cab)

If it is accurate, and it probably is due to some EU directives, it sure looks like a fun result. How much more than a million do you guys think it will be priced at? 1,060,000 - 1090,000? (Wildtrak A/T 4WD Double Cab)

I hope they have the guts to load it, and then i don t care if its 1.050 or 1,1 :)

its dirt cheap anyway :D

I hope they have the guts to load it, and then i don t care if its 1.050 or 1,1 :)

its dirt cheap anyway :D

I think so too

Wow that Ford 3.2 might be a handful to drive on a rainy day.

Going into a corner, step on the gas on a wet road and I'm sure you will see some wheel spin.

The Nissan Navara is missing, should compare that.

Why does the Ford 2.2 and Izusu graphs suddenly stop at 2500 and 2800 rpm. Are they rev limited that low?

Edited by mdechgan

Wow that Ford 3.2 might be a handful to drive on a rainy day.

Going into a corner, step on the gas on a wet road and I'm sure you will see some wheel spin.

The Nissan Navara is missing, should compare that.

Why does the Ford 2.2 and Izusu graphs suddenly stop at 2500 and 2800 rpm. Are they rev limited that low?

The Ford 3.2L Wildtrak has traction control ;)

3 of the curves are the peak values only, as the chart is based on only publicly published data...

Here's some updated charts with the Nissan engines included, and a little more detail on the upgraded Isuzu 3.0L/2.5L and the Ford 2.2L...

Note that the Nissan 3.0L V6 is not available in Thailand - it has been included as a teaser of what to expect from the next-gen Mitsubishi and Nissan trucks in 2013, when they start leveraging more from their alliance with Renault..

post-80026-0-30190800-1318727964_thumb.p

post-80026-0-38481900-1318727993_thumb.p

And some take-outs:

• The upgraded 3.0L Isuzu now easily outclasses the Toyota 3.0L
  • The Mistubishi 2.5L is easily the best of the 2.5's, and has amazing top end power for a diesel truck engine
  • The Ford 3.2L is the daddy of all engines for the next couple of years
  • The new Chev 2.8L is good but has room for improvement, but their new 2.5L is pretty dissapointing.
  • The Nissan-Renault 3.0L V6 is drool-worthy ;) But unavailable :(

Not sure now but many years ago Fords were about Baht 30,000 cheaper than the others and in my opinion as good or better with parts being cheaper than most. As far as resale well pay B30,000 less when new and take B30,000 less when you sell but a guy needs to keep a vehicle 5 years or more. I am still riding my 8 year old Ford with 230,000 kms. My first Ford only run 400,000 kms with no problems before I traded for a new one. rolleyes.gif

Good job....that new Ford looks pretty impressive and the Chevy close behind...if the Mitsubishi changed the weird body style,they would be close too...hope the image will change in Thai community,so the market will be more competitive.I guess,the only problem for the Ford and the Chevy is the resale value...

Edited by rotary

Here's some updated charts with the Nissan engines included, and a little more detail on the upgraded Isuzu 3.0L/2.5L and the Ford 2.2L...

Note that the Nissan 3.0L V6 is not available in Thailand - it has been included as a teaser of what to expect from the next-gen Mitsubishi and Nissan trucks in 2013, when they start leveraging more from their alliance with Renault..

And some take-outs:

• The Mistubishi 2.5L is easily the best of the 2.5's, and has amazing top end power for a diesel truck engine
  • The new Chev 2.8L is good but has room for improvement, but their new 2.5L is pretty dissapointing.

You compared the turbo diesel V6 for the Nissan, I thought it was the petrol VQ version.

Not sure now but many years ago Fords were about Baht 30,000 cheaper than the others and in my opinion as good or better with parts being cheaper than most. As far as resale well pay B30,000 less when new and take B30,000 less when you sell but a guy needs to keep a vehicle 5 years or more. I am still riding my 8 year old Ford with 230,000 kms. My first Ford only run 400,000 kms with no problems before I traded for a new one. rolleyes.gif

I've bought a Toyota Tiger ExCab 2.5L for 575K in 2003 and sold 7.5 years later for 360K....I was looking at all the trucks and only Toyota had a commonrail engine at that time,I think...Ford(similar model) was equipped with Mazda diesel-not even close...

Now I'm in the need of a new truck and am very disappointed about Toyota(and Isuzu) that they are felling so much behind.,so I am considering something different...In US some years ago,Ford Ranger was always considered "the bottom of the food chain",but here is Thailand and those new trucks are very different now.I just may go for the Ford...but still think,that the new Chevy looks better...

That does not mean it is accurate. The Racechip increases the pressure only which is not a good thing. But it will increase the torque to around the given figures. But the achieved power output will not be anywhere near their claimed figures. I tried it with all possible settings. And I cannot find an explanation to their double curves on the chart.

That does not mean it is accurate. The Racechip increases the pressure only which is not a good thing. But it will increase the torque to around the given figures. But the achieved power output will not be anywhere near their claimed figures. I tried it with all possible settings. And I cannot find an explanation to their double curves on the chart.

So you agree with the torque gain, but disagree with the horsepower gain? How does that work? :blink:

And some take-outs:

What I'm seeing is that Toyota torque is highest at the lowest revs. This is what matters for a truck, esp. 4WD with load.

Toyota wins.

(For racing there are better options out there than trucks. )

And some take-outs:

What I'm seeing is that Toyota torque is highest at the lowest revs. This is what matters for a truck, esp. 4WD with load.

Toyota wins.

What I'm seeing is a Ford engine which matches Toyota's maximum torque at more than 200 RPM's less. When the Toyota starts tapering off, the Ford still has in excess of 80nm more. I will agree, the Toyota is stronger between 1000 & 1100 RPM though.

And some take-outs:

Toyota wins.

What I'm seeing is a Ford engine which matches Toyota's maximum torque at more than 200 RPM's less. When the Toyota starts tapering off, the Ford still has in excess of 80nm more. I will agree, the Toyota is stronger between 1000 & 1100 RPM though.

Idle speed on the 1KD-FTV is 950-1000 RPM with the aircon on, and in offroad situations, you're going to be hitting 1200-1300 RPM before the torque converter starts converting useful amounts of pull, so it'a all a null argument. The Ford 3.2L stomps it.

That said, it's clear the 1KD-FTV 3.0L is capable of much more - with a current gen commonrail system and a decent AT that can take torque, it'd probably be up there competing with the 2.8L Chev donk..

And some take-outs:

Toyota wins.

Idle speed on the 1KD-FTV is 950-1000 RPM with the aircon on, and in offroad situations, you're going to be hitting 1200-1300 RPM before the torque converter starts converting useful amounts of pull, so it'a all a null argument. The Ford 3.2L stomps it.

That said, it's clear the 1KD-FTV 3.0L is capable of much more - with a current gen commonrail system and a decent AT that can take torque, it'd probably be up there competing with the 2.8L Chev donk..

I was wanting to be polite to him.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I agree with you, the Ford will cream all the others.

as i am looking to buy my first vehicle in los,i was looking at the new pick up models,one thing that has bugged me for a long time after watching drivers trying to reverse and manouver tight turns do these pick ups have p.a.s.

as i am looking to buy my first vehicle in los,i was looking at the new pick up models,one thing that has bugged me for a long time after watching drivers trying to reverse and manouver tight turns do these pick ups have p.a.s.

Yep, some do:

Mistubishi Triton Plus (reversing camera with 7" screen - though you'll need to spec the camera into the deal as a freebie)

D-Max Z-Prestige (both front and rear cameras with 7" screen)

Ford Ranger Wildtrak (reversing camera with screen in rearview mirror)

Toyota Hilux Champ "G" grade (optional reversing camera with 7" screen)

New Mazda BT-50 will also likely have a park assist, given it's a Ford Ranger underneath

Most also have a cost-option of sonar reversing sensors.

They all have power steering, but for some reason the natives don't like turning the wheel, thoughts of saving diesel perhaps, weeeeeeell, folk here drive with no lights on at night, l ask the mrs why do these morons risk life and limb with no lights, she says to save diesel. :rolleyes:

Most trucks have a turning circle around 6 metres IF you turn the wheel. :D.