Care On Suhkumvit

monty1412

went out for a burn early this morning. Road pretty much dry from Lower s up to Bang Na where there was water across road.. What really worried me was the potholes.. allot of previous bitumen covered manholes mainly centre and LH lanes have had with all the water, the bitumen washed awat and some of them are deep.

Wouldnt want to ride S at present in low light or night.

take care

when u cant see the road for murky water u need to slow way down and just coast through .........saying that though there is a decent enough suspension on the cbr for most potholes and manholes etc

i dont slow down an awful lot for speed bumps ,usually just put the clutch in and roll over them if im not going too fast and the cbr handles it ok

furthest ive done so far is around 300km -350km in a day (with a passeneger but i wasnt noticably sore after it just wearing regular jeans + stock seat ) so i think it soaks up the road ok

i drove a d-tracker for a few days and there is a better feel to it but i think the seat could be a bit wider ,saying that though i used the d-tracker in bkk and only done around 100km per day so i dont know how 350km in a day feels on it

both bikes actually felt a bit underpowered though ,it seems like your changing gear before you should but im sure there are power-mods available for the cbr and i know there is d-restriction for the kawasaki but the both bikes i was on were 100% stock with no tuning or aftermarket stuff

If anyone does find themselves having to ride through water, take care and try to follow the exact path of a vehicle's wheel in front of you.

If the wheel in front drops into a pothole....... Ummmm, well, you know there's a pothole coming up.

I don't mean to sound patronizing but some might not know.

Take care, Karl :)

If anyone does find themselves having to ride through water, take care and try to follow the exact path of a vehicle's wheel in front of you.

If the wheel in front drops into a pothole....... Ummmm, well, you know there's a pothole coming up.

I don't mean to sound patronizing but some might not know.

Take care, Karl :)

Not patronising at all, good advice, thanks for sharing.

I got caught yesterday afternoon out on Lat Phrao in torrential rain... actually as newbie quite pleased with myself... visor down and just kept on going at low speed /low gear and followed allot of the motorbike taxi's.. actually funny as I came back to sukhumvit via asoke and soaking wet at higher speed as the traffic was light.. first time I've felt cold in two months....those steel plates they have on the road terrify me

cheers monty

The weather looked beautiful yesterday afternoon so I jumped on the bike to go exploring. Of course, no sooner had I hit the road it started pissing down. Ah well, whatcha gonna do? :rolleyes:

I headed to Minburi since I read it's flooded and I used to live there.

Seems like all the major roads are fine. No flooding on Ramkamhaeng, Rom Klao, Chalong Krung or highway 304. Chao Khun Thahan road is rather badly flooded on the westbound side, but traffic was still getting through. Eastbound side is high and dry.

Many smaller roads are flooded and some are impassable.

A few pics-

Oct15thMinburiFloodSSR.jpg

Canals are full and overflowing.

Nice to see that not everyone is miserable- check out these kids jumping into a flooded canal-

Oct15thMinburiFlood1SSR.jpg

Folks who've built their homes at canal level are getting their feet wet...

Oct15thMinburiFlood3SSR.jpg

I was going to give this road a try (I think it's Rom Klao Soi 19?) but the Fortuner I was following U-turn'd when we got to a particularly deep section and I figured it would be foolish of me to try and get through here.

Oct15thMinburiFlood2SSR.jpg

Stopped in front of my old place on Kum Klao road and snapped this pic-

Oct15thMinburiVersysFloodSSR.jpg

The water wasn't very deep here, but on other parts of the road it was a bit dicey- I'd say around 2-3 feet deep. Some of the roads are in very rough shape but the Versys handled just fine. There are times, when navigating serious potholes that I find myself wishing for a 21" front wheel though...

So, it's bad, but not as bad as I expected. No flooding at all in "downtown" Minburi. (Yet)

Take it slow when you can't see the pavement, weight your pegs, and keep the revs up while feathering the clutch if you find your exhaust submerged.

Good luck everyone! :jap:

Is that first pic looking over to the apartments of Keha Rom Klao?

I say that as when you took this photo my village would have been directly behind you (RK)

Why yes, I believe that's correct- I took the pic from this spot: http://maps.google.c...psrc=0&t=m&z=16

(The green arrow, not the "A")

Hope your home is safe from the flooding- not much high ground in that area!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Thanks for the concern Tony, my Village was built about 1M above the canal banks, so providing the water pumps and sand bags work efficiently then i should be fine.

As a precaution me and my girlfriend moved everything upstairs last week, you wouldn't believe how many times i have walked down stairs to get something from the fridge only to find out it's upstairs..... Old-timers is kicking in i think :D

Edited by karlos