Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Please reread my first post. Thats whats happening now. As I predicted. The incomming flood was slowed and built up. Now as the tide goes back the downflow towards the sea will speed up and then meet the deichs. Then lets guess.¿

I found a good, probable quite updated flood map. It's all in Thai, but it shouldn't be difficult to imagine what is water.

Se: http://203.150.230.2...9852.1893735975

You can zoom yourself around the map.

I think that map needs to be taken just as a guide.

i.e. In my local area it shows roads as partially flooded that I know are dry as a bone, and roads as clear that have been under a few inches of water for a week or more.

I agree. it is showing water where no water is. I like this one... http://www.gamling.org/

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew to KL yesterday, and there was no water at all from Lad Prao to Swampy on the taxi route.

I live on Vipavadee 16 not far from Thai air/ lad Prao area.

I am beginning to feel that i overreacted. From all of the non-alarmist postings (and yes, I do pity people who are stuck in Rangsit)--it now seems that the situation has been "saved", at least as far as CBD, lad Prao and Aree are concerned. the BBC seems to be saying the same. Sure, there is peripheral flooding and sure, it is impossible to predict everything. But am I right in thinking that things are settling down?

I need to know, because I need to know when to fly back.

Eddy

Edited by pauleddy

I am beginning to feel that i overreacted. From all of the non-alarmist postings (and yes, I do pity people who are stuck in Rangsit)--it now seems that the situation has been "saved", at least as far as CBD, lad Prao and Aree are concerned. the BBC seems to be saying the same. Sure, there is peripheral flooding and sure, it is impossible to predict everything. But am I right in thinking that things are settling down?

Eddy

The bulk of water from the north hasn't even moved past Don Muang yet. It's far from over.

You are all too paranoid. I live in Phrayasuren Soi 3 and there is and was never any flood water anywhere.

No, not paranoid. they simply are not as fortunate as you in terms of where they live. (Assuming you are right about prospects of flooding where you are).

There are plenty of areas where the water is over a meter high, tap water contaminated by sewage and in some cases turned off/being rationed, no food or water to be bought even if you wade through that meter high water (filled with raw sewage and the like). Folks in that situation no longer have the option of getting out short of evacuation by the army/navy, and wish they had gone when they could.

It's better to leave unnecessarily than to end up needing to have left but no longer being able.

Obviously, the threat level varies greatly by location,. that's what this thread is all about, helping people get a handle on the threat level (current and projected) in their own location.

Eddy

The bulk of water from the north hasn't even moved past Don Muang yet. It's far from over.

My idea looking at the water receding in Ayutthaya only over the past two days I feel the same way...

Coming 4-5 days will be crucial...

Eddy

Absolutely. There's a lot of water being held back right now in the surrounding areas of Don Mueang. Once the high tides have passed more water will be released from the north and areas with surround Don Mueang. The people in Rangsit, Phathumthani, Thanyaburi and further north cannot be expected to retain this water too much longer. It's only started.

Eddy

Absolutely. There's a lot of water being held back right now in the surrounding areas of Don Mueang. Once the high tides have passed more water will be released from the north and areas with surround Don Mueang. The people in Rangsit, Phathumthani, Thanyaburi and further north cannot be expected to retain this water too much longer. It's only started.

Thats right as predicted by me yesterday. It is foolish by the authorities to block the Water at Don Mueang area for a long time, as pressure builts up on dams. They do EVERYTHING to protect inner Bangkok . As soon as the northern and western floodwals are soaked , and they start breaking already, the flooding of inner Bangkok will come. There are still 3 more high tides to come and much more offlow from north, as ayuttaya releases masses of water and bumipol dam as well. There is more confusion than information. The threat for inner Bangkok remains very high. Do NOT start feeling secure and have bags to leave ready.

just on Thai PBS TV news, locals complain the logging of flood water and still attracking the dykes around Sai Mai and Hok Wa, officials cannot do much to protect the dykes.

( my Thai is not as good, hope it is wrong )

Thats right as predicted by me yesterday. It is foolish by the authorities to block the Water at Don Mueang area for a long time, as pressure builts up on dams. They do EVERYTHING to protect inner Bangkok . As soon as the northern and western floodwals are soaked , and they start breaking already, the flooding of inner Bangkok will come. There are still 3 more high tides to come and much more offlow from north, as ayuttaya releases masses of water and bumipol dam as well. There is more confusion than information. The threat for inner Bangkok remains very high. Do NOT start feeling secure and have bags to leave ready.

Eddy

I was watching the news on Australian Network 24 television here in Chiang Mai when suddenly a banner has just started to appear at the bottom of the screen saying that floodwaters have reached

the centre of Bangkok and providing the websites and telephone number of the Australian Department of foreign affairs in case of emergency. does Australian Network have information which is not being reflected in comments in this thread?

Eddy

I am in Don Muang and we have had it in the neck here for over a week though I know others have had it for longer. This morning the water still rising, so it has to go somewhere, I do wish they would do something about the Rangsit Klong as advocated by the BKK Governor. I don't want to the people in inner BKK to suffer, but the water has to move and quicker it moves the better for all. 15.30 water still rising in Chang A Card Utit Don Muang. Waist deep!

I wish to update. Ram Intra Soi 19 (20cm), Soi 21 (15cm) and Soi 5 (10cm) is now flooded. My security is now pumping water out of my moo baan Patra's drains, inside moo baan is still dry.

If you go along Ram Inthra towards Minburi, can you have check the odd soi side around KM.8?

Our neighbor said that the fields there have some water. After that, maybe go up Khu Bon Rd?

Live in Soi 5 Ramintra. Ramintra main road is high and dry. But water had creeped in at Soi 19 now's about 10cm or less. Expect to rise further but not much and fast.

Was able to obtain a few more photos from Klong 2, Nakhon Nayok Rd. and one from Saipanya Rangsit School off of Mueang Ake. The water is nearly 2m deep in this village, and the school is reported to now have nearly 3m of water.

post-6428-0-31685000-1319963159_thumb.jp

post-6428-0-71742300-1319963177_thumb.jp

post-6428-0-97127300-1319963208_thumb.jp

I flew to KL yesterday, and there was no water at all from Lad Prao to Swampy on the taxi route.

Eddy

There was an evacuation order for people living along the klongs in ladpro today, as well as bang khen, lak si and jatujak. I dont think the situation is improving yet, regardless of what the twits at froc say.

If u are a doom/gloom merchant because you have been caught in 3 meters of water than I fully sympathize. I got out to KL yesterday late because I was the same-- dry but careful guy. It is both inconvenient and expensive to be here. There are already rumours of burglary in my soi. But, I am a bit confused because the BBC news at 4pm said that "Main parts have been saved". Yingluck reported as saying "little to fear".

There are so many armchair hydrographers and topologists on here.

I am still left wondering whether anybody ever knew anything for sure...as much as it is possible to know, of course.

Eddy

Eddy

There was an evacuation order for people living along the klongs in ladpro today, as well as bang khen, lak si and jatujak. I dont think the situation is improving yet, regardless of what the twits at froc say.

^ this.

There are large boats now travelling down Vibhavadi just shy of Lak Si. There are scores of Army and Police all around IT Square. The water's coming people. If you live further down Vibhavadi please consider leaving - we changed our plan to get out early and only hours later roads to our moo ban were closed.

I'd really hate for people to leave it late and not be able to leave with the belongings they want to; i.e being faced with isolation or forced evacuation.

Good luck to you all.

Nimitmai Road

Large crowd has gathered at corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit road protesting the BMA's ? placement of sandbags all along centre island of Nimitmai road down to Suwintawong junction. Water slowly rising from drains at the corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit roads. Eyewitness and security from our moobarn advise approx 1000 people gathered. My wife informs me the TV states only approx 400 people but fails to advise why they are there. Maybe fishing or a boat auction??

For anyone familiar with the section of Phaholyothin between Central Ladprao and Bang Khen roundabout, I have just walked up as far as the canal bridge adjacent to Soi 49/1 (left-hand side of outbound road) and Phaholyothin 46 (right-hand side). There is knee deep flooding either side of the bridge, but not widespread at the moment. There was also some surface water on the main road about 100 metres south, outside Sripathum University, coming out a drain, with 4-5 guys in attendance looking at it/trying to block it.

At present there is no water on Phaholyothin Road, including the Kaset-Nawamin intersection outside Kasetsart University. The flooding at the university is behind the university, in the area close to the canal.

If the water continues progressing southwards at the same rate, there may be ankle deep water around Kaset-Nawamin intersection late tomorrow. Ratchayothin intersection might have to wait another 2 days. And it might take 2-3 days to get anywhere near Central unless all the runoff from Don Muang, Sai and Bang Khen increases in magnitude.

Edited by Sunderland

For anyone familiar with the section of Phaholyothin between Central Ladprao and Bang Khen roundabout, I have just walked up as far as the canal bridge adjacent to Soi 49/1 (left-hand side of outbound road) and Phaholyothin 46 (right-hand side). There is knee deep flooding either side of the bridge, but not widespread at the moment. There was also some surface water on the main road about 100 metres south, outside Sripathum University, coming out a drain, with 4-5 guys in attendance looking at it/trying to block it.

At present there is no water on Phaholyothin Road, including the Kaset-Nawamin intersection outside Kasetsart University. The flooding at the university is behind the university, in the area close to the canal.

If the water continues progressing southwards at the same rate, there may be ankle deep water around Kaset-Nawamin intersection late tomorrow. Ratchayothin intersection might have to wait another 2 days. And it might take 2-3 days to get anywhere near Central unless all the runoff from Don Muang, Sai and Bang Khen increases in magnitude.

Cheers for the update :)

Many thanks. If you see it get up to Kaset-Nawamin, please post.

What about the Sukhumvit Road from Bangkok to Pattaya?

I tried to contribute earlier but maybe I have not entered my report correctly. Anyway Sukhumvit from On Nut south to Bangna has had no sign whatsoever of flooding and the road to Pattaya to the best of my knowledge is also status quo!

Take the elevated toll-way and ask the booth operator when you join it for news???

came down yesterday on a minivan from VM and all was clear...not even that much traffic, so...c'ya here!!

IF this helps anyone, the

thai rail ticket dot com

site is up again.

As part of the reservation process, you can see what trains have seats. You can also pay for the ticket online and print it out at home. (I've done it. It can test your patience, but it can be done.) All that's left is reaching MRT and Bang Sue or Hua Lumphong.

Flooding is on north side of Kaset around 15 cm at 3pm today at end of Viphawadhi 56 next to klong. So far is still dry at Viphawadhi Hospital.

Cheers for the update :)

They're probably just FROC-ing off.

Nimitmai Road

Large crowd has gathered at corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit road protesting the BMA's ? placement of sandbags all along centre island of Nimitmai road down to Suwintawong junction. Water slowly rising from drains at the corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit roads. Eyewitness and security from our moobarn advise approx 1000 people gathered. My wife informs me the TV states only approx 400 people but fails to advise why they are there. Maybe fishing or a boat auction??