Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

My cousin lives on Prachaniweit 1 near Wat Samian, across the street from Bon Marche has left his house. Said water has risen significantly since last night when it was ankle deep to now waist deep in his soi and still deeper. However for me on Ngamwongwan Rd on Nonthaburi side is still dry, but I heard that The Mall closed at 2pm today.

I work on Prachaniwet 1, the whole area is indeed under water. Khlong Prapa has seen some improvment with the millions of sand bags they put up...but all the side sois are under a lot of water.

I live near the end of ratchadaphisek between Prachanakun intersection and Wongsawan, still dry but seems like it is headed in this direction.

The photo is the base of Prachaniwet 1 at Khlong Prapa...it is much worse on the other end at Wat Samien Nari.

Take care..be safe.

post-33249-0-36292100-1320410291_thumb.j

Edited by joeyswags

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin lives on Prachaniweit 1 near Wat Samian, across the street from Bon Marche has left his house. Said water has risen significantly since last night when it was ankle deep to now waist deep in his soi and still deeper. However for me on Ngamwongwan Rd on Nonthaburi side is still dry, but I heard that The Mall closed at 2pm today.

Is there somebody who can confirm that The Mall at Ngam wongwan is closed, Normaly mu grand daughter have to follow tutoring classes there tomorow

We're at the top (north) end of Phet Kasaem soi 126, just east of sai 5. The water came here Wednesday night and we got to 40 cm pretty quickly. It rose slowly after that, but we've been holding steady at 55 cm outside our entrance for this afternoon and evening. Our people ferrying supplies have told us that the intersection of sai 5 and Phet Kasaem is flooded and small cars and pickups cannot pass; probably about the same as here. It looks like Kratum Baen may be next in line to see water in this area.

We're at the top (north) end of Phet Kasaem soi 126, just east of sai 5. The water came here Wednesday night and we got to 40 cm pretty quickly. It rose slowly after that, but we've been holding steady at 55 cm outside our entrance for this afternoon and evening. Our people ferrying supplies have told us that the intersection of sai 5 and Phet Kasaem is flooded and small cars and pickups cannot pass; probably about the same as here. It looks like Kratum Baen may be next in line to see water in this area.

It will be stable for a few days around 5 or so and then it will probably slowly a few cm a day decrease. At least that is what happened here.

A silly question maybe, but is anyone seeing the water RECEDING anywhere?

robblok said a few days ago it was slowly receding in his house.

scot1999 said something about Lam Lukka khlong 4 slightly receding.

Excellent question!!!

Thaveewattana Rd Soi 9: It went down approx. 1-2 inch the day before yesterday or yesterday, but in the last 24-36 hours it got back to the original level+ 1-2 inch. So I think there is some small fluctuation...

Friends in Nonthaburi to the west side (one in Bahn Bua Thong, not sure the other) told me the water has gone down a bit the last 1-2 days. In Bang Khen area its still going up, but that is only recently flooded. To the north its going down in Ayutaya and Nakon Sawan.

The tail end of the flood is coming through now in areas that have been flooded a long time, but if you are living ahead of the front on the north side of Bangkok, your problems are only just beginning.

Thanks! First correcting myself: the increase today is not 1-2 inch, it is 2-3 inch. Lets hope the tail will reach me before something brakes down! Thanks for the info!

Excellent question!!!

Thaveewattana Rd Soi 9: It went down approx. 1-2 inch the day before yesterday or yesterday, but in the last 24-36 hours it got back to the original level+ 1-2 inch. So I think there is some small fluctuation...

Friends in Nonthaburi to the west side (one in Bahn Bua Thong, not sure the other) told me the water has gone down a bit the last 1-2 days. In Bang Khen area its still going up, but that is only recently flooded. To the north its going down in Ayutaya and Nakon Sawan.

The tail end of the flood is coming through now in areas that have been flooded a long time, but if you are living ahead of the front on the north side of Bangkok, your problems are only just beginning.

Exactly, here in Bang Bua Thong its slowly dropping the last few days. Mind you its only 2-3 cm a day. So it will take quite a while to be totally dry. From observation i can say it will stay stable for a few days (5 in my case) and then start to slowly drop. So everyone who is just hit.. dont expect it to go away quickly. It might vary per place of course.

Today i saw here regular buses driving i havent seen those for a while. So things are improving.

Is there somebody who can confirm that The Mall at Ngam wongwan is closed, Normaly mu grand daughter have to follow tutoring classes there tomorow

Actually was wrong about it being closed at 2pm, they will close at 8pm.

1320394519[/url]' post='4821533']
1320378149[/url]' post='4820675']

Thanks Tom, amazing pictures, have to agree with the Cannuck though that I cannot see us going home any time soon. My daughter is only one and I don't want her anywhere near that water. Did it smell bad?Carl

Hi all

The water does not smell really...and it is not too polluted, you can still see through to the bottom even if it is 40 cms or so. not pristine clear water, but doesn't stink at least.

Thanks Tom. We are going to stay away for another week anyway. The Laksi crocodile made our minds up!

West side of the river and East side of river flood are two different stories. There is no correlation.

East side should loose the water quicker. Or at least that is what has been told.

Rob, I really hope so. I haven't been affected yet but it's getting very close and it plays on my nerves. Sick and tired of this flood. My work place is on the West and it is flooded badly, my home is on the East and just waiting. There is still a lot of water to come from the North, there are rumours that during 10, 11 November Bangkok will be f****d, when the peak waters from the North will come. Don Muang doesn't look good at all right now.

West side of the river and East side of river flood are two different stories. There is no correlation.

East side should loose the water quicker. Or at least that is what has been told.

Rob, I really hope so. I haven't been affected yet but it's getting very close and it plays on my nerves. Sick and tired of this flood. My work place is on the West and it is flooded badly, my home is on the East and just waiting. There is still a lot of water to come from the North, there are rumours that during 10, 11 November Bangkok will be f****d, when the peak waters from the North will come. Don Muang doesn't look good at all right now.

I know how you are feeling.. i was there had the same feelings. Its the not knowing. Now that i am flooded and the water is receding (even stable at same levels) calmed me down a lot. I really hope it will go faster for your guys. But in the end its still the same body of water that needs to be passed. It might linger longer in some places then others.

I just wish you good luck. Here life started to get "normals" after a few days of flooding. Shops that were flooded kept having food. (dont ask where it came from) But people are inventive and they need to go on to make money. Being flooded sucks but you will get used to it.

Anybody notice how quiet it is once flooded?The air apart from the smell is lacking in exhaust fumes. Only three families left in moobahn wontawee behind Viphawadhi Hospital where it is 50 cm inside village and 1m+ on main roads.

Thought i had everything covered until water came up through the grouting between the tiles yesterday; tried to fight it for half a day but gave up yesterday and moved up a level.Will consider moving if the electric supply cut or when i run out of beer.Will we have to live like this for a month or more????

Actually was wrong about it being closed at 2pm, they will close at 8pm.

Thanks for the information

So The Mall Ngamwongwan will only close one hour more early and tommorow it will be open as normal, except they close now at 08.00 pm

Edited by henryalleman

Anybody notice how quiet it is once flooded?The air apart from the smell is lacking in exhaust fumes. Only three families left in moobahn wontawee behind Viphawadhi Hospital where it is 50 cm inside village and 1m+ on main roads.

Thought i had everything covered until water came up through the grouting between the tiles yesterday; tried to fight it for half a day but gave up yesterday and moved up a level.Will consider moving if the electric supply cut or when i run out of beer.Will we have to live like this for a month or more????

Anyone who can make a qualified quess for the future of Hua Khwang area in Ratchada? I live on the east side of Thailand Cultural Centre/Esplanade and im wondering if the Lad Phrao water front will continue straight south towards us or not?

Excellent question!!!

Exactly, here in Bang Bua Thong its slowly dropping the last few days. Mind you its only 2-3 cm a day. So it will take quite a while to be totally dry. From observation i can say it will stay stable for a few days (5 in my case) and then start to slowly drop. So everyone who is just hit.. dont expect it to go away quickly. It might vary per place of course.

Today i saw here regular buses driving i havent seen those for a while. So things are improving.

Here in Don Muang the water has been stable for two days now and may even have gone down a an inch or two outside, as I can see a line against the wall of were the water was. I hope that it can decrease quickly!

Hey all, im so sad to hear all this bad news about the floods. :-(

I'm from melbourne, Australia, and booked my holiday months ago. Arriving in Bangkok on the 18th November. What do you guys think. Is it better just to stay home? :/ or maybe catch a flight to Phuket or Koh Samui...

Anyone who can make a qualified quess for the future of Hua Khwang area in Ratchada?

It's downhill from Ladprao to Suttisan along Ratchada. One of my neighbors is somehow involved in the relief operations (she didn't elaborate and I should have asked), and she said at this point, they don't expect it to pass there because of the low area which extends from Suttisan to the west towards the Saphan Kwai/Ari area. It could potentially head southeast out of Suttisan, towards Rama IX Rd, which is also lower than the surrounding area.

Of course, my faith in anything they say is minimal.

I'm from melbourne, Australia, and booked my holiday months ago. Arriving in Bangkok on the 18th November. What do you guys think. Is it better just to stay home? :/ or maybe catch a flight to Phuket or Koh Samui...

Catch a flight to Phuket or Samui and have a good time.

catch a flight to Phuket or Koh Samui.

Maybe BKK is OK, but maybe not

Yes, here in Supalaiburee Village Klong 4 Ransit/Thanyaburi. It has dropped 75 millimetres (3 inches) in the last 3 days. Not sure if it's evaporation only, but still a lot more to come from the north, so not building up our hopes yet.

just got home to lam luk ka klong 4 and yes , this is the third day it has gone down, my god if it goes down my much more i will not have to push my super scooter the quarter of a mile to my condo,

any back to the topic its gone down about may 6 to 8 cm in 3 days

looking to make it 10 by the end of the weekend, ye pee

Thanks for those updates philip500 and scott1999, they are most appreciated. Having my home in that area, this is encouraging news. I hope this trend continues. jap.gif

I will most likely be shot down for this, but I would say you should consider putting off your trip for at least a few months. If you did avoid Bangkok and the north, you would miss a beautiful part of this country which you may regret.

Even though unaffected the islands are still gloomy, there are shortages of basics starting (bottled water for one) and many who would be coming are cancelling. On top of this, it is monsoon season in the south and all the islands can be affected badly.

April is a great month in Thailand, Songkran festival is fun in Bangkok and the weather is fantastic. Everyone will definitely be in a much better mood.

Apologies to business owners but my best advice under the circumstances.

Edited by ParadiseLost

It will be stable for a few days around 5 or so and then it will probably slowly a few cm a day decrease. At least that is what happened here.

Thanks for the advice. We're hoping it will start to go down sooner than 5 days because we're sort of on the edge of things, but I guess we'll see what happens. We seem to have stabilized only 36 hours after the first water, which I think was pretty fast. We were actually on our way home out of here about 9 pm Wednesday night thinking things would be OK for us when we saw some signs that maybe things weren't going to be OK. We turned around and went back to the factory and within a couple of hours we were at 30 cm.

Anyone who can make a qualified quess for the future of Hua Khwang area in Ratchada?

It's downhill from Ladprao to Suttisan along Ratchada. One of my neighbors is somehow involved in the relief operations (she didn't elaborate and I should have asked), and she said at this point, they don't expect it to pass there because of the low area which extends from Suttisan to the west towards the Saphan Kwai/Ari area. It could potentially head southeast out of Suttisan, towards Rama IX Rd, which is also lower than the surrounding area.

Of course, my faith in anything they say is minimal.

Your neighbour's assessment seems to fit with the Bangkok elevation map (perhaps combined with a bit of optimism) and she might be right as far as the immidiate future goes in relation to the watery progress along Ratchadaphisek. However, the whole Lad Prao, Wang Tong Lang, Huay Khwang, Inner City areas are also downhill from Ram Intra which now seems to be flooded along its whole lenght and waters are already spreading southwards at several points. So, it might not be today or tomorrow Hua Kwang gets flooded, but give it 7-10 days.