Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Does anyone know the water level situation around SCB Plaza and the TMB Bank Head office building? Thanks in advance..

Flooded around SCB. Last I heard the roads leading up there are closed (not sure at what point).

TMB, as far as I know, isn't flooded yet, but it won't be long. Water from the Ladprao junction will move towards that building tonight or tomorrow I expect, if it isn't there already.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arriving in Bangkok on the 18th November. What do you guys think. Is it better just to stay home?

April is a great month in Thailand, Songkran festival is fun in Bangkok and the weather is fantastic. Everyone will definitely be in a much better mood.

do NOT follow the advice of ParadiseLost! At the very least don't act according to to 1 user opinion.

jks107107, If you feel you need to postpone your flight, so be it.. but no matter what, DO NOT take advice from a forum user who claims Songkran is fun. In fact, no matter how bad the flood situation is, it can't be as bad as Songkran. And the weather in April is unbearably hot and humid. Pls do not base your travel plans on one users opinion. Sala Daeng will most likely remain dry, by the end of this weekend we know for sure. You have almost 3 weeks to decide, nobody knows what BKK will be like in 3 weeks time

I life in Huai Kwang and just took a motorbike up Ratchada from Huai Kwang intersection.

The left lane (coming from Huai Kwang), the water starts after you take the bridge over the klong in front of the Chao Phaya Park hotel.

Coming back (the right lane when coming from Huai Kwang direction) the water was already flowing up throught the sewer system past the bridge. Even past Sutthisan intersection towards Huai Kwang intersection some small puddles appearing near storm drain inlets, just a few, not a lot.

The road from the bridge over the Klong to Lard Prao is flooded anywhere between 0 and 20 cm's (some parts dry). Police blocked of the fly over over Lard Prao road.

W

Animation showing the movement of water on Thai Flood 2011, made by Toshiki Iwasaki, a Japanese Doctorial sudent. An excellent animation from October-November

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2383339114783

This highlights exactly what has been absent from official statements - a simple analysis of the extent & speed of the Northern runoff's and how they might be expected to impact Bangkok. The official focus seems to have been primarily on the high tide level on the river when actually the main danger all along has been the runoff from the north. I live in Phra Khanong and with a very basic extrapolation expect the floods to hit my area Monday-Tuesday. So I need to exit somewhere between Mon and Wed, as it seems very possible they will be either side of 1m which will knock out my condo's electricity.

Does anyone know the water level situation around SCB Plaza and the TMB Bank Head office building? Thanks in advance..

Some of my clients staff were evacuated by truck from Northgate Serviced Apartments opposite SCB Plaza last night. One of the guys is 5 foot nothing and when I asked him how deep was it, he answered, "Higher than me!"

Nice satellite view before/during the flooding by CNN.

Here is the NASA site with 7MB images you can download (also see comparison) showing before and after.

http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=76291

After - http://eoimages.gsfc...2011305_lrg.jpg

Before - http://eoimages.gsfc...2008317_lrg.jpg

This is where CNN might have gotten the pictures from.

West side of the river and East side of river flood are two different stories. There is no correlation.

East side should loose the water quicker. Or at least that is what has been told.

Because of the pumps they are employing? Because I hear that the West is more sloped than the East.

Animation showing the movement of water on Thai Flood 2011, made by Toshiki Iwasaki, a Japanese Doctorial sudent. An excellent animation from October-November

http://www.facebook....v=2383339114783

This animation seems to show more water coming down to the East of Bangkok than to the West. Interesting, as I had so far understood that the opposite is happening.

That's interesting... I guess based upon elevation.

I could be wrong, but I think some of the areas the animation projects to stay dry are already flooded.

I could be wrong, but I think some of the areas the animation projects to stay dry are already flooded.

Is that because this is a computer simulation based on assumptions about how the water would be controlled?

Is that because this is a computer simulation based on assumptions about how the water would be controlled?

It is a animation of past events, not projections, from what I gather.

This highlights exactly what has been absent from official statements - a simple analysis of the extent & speed of the Northern runoff's and how they might be expected to impact Bangkok. The official focus seems to have been primarily on the high tide level on the river when actually the main danger all along has been the runoff from the north. I live in Phra Khanong and with a very basic extrapolation expect the floods to hit my area Monday-Tuesday. So I need to exit somewhere between Mon and Wed, as it seems very possible they will be either side of 1m which will knock out my condo's electricity.

This is the best seen so far......it really shows what has transpired, what can be expected, and th true extent of the problem. WLL DONE MUST VIEWING

This is the best seen so far......it really shows what has transpired, what can be expected, and th true extent of the problem. WLL DONE MUST VIEWING

Its beutifull like a flower, flowering... But how accurate is it? Or does anybody care?

I live 50 M from Lat Phrao MRT 21station. I have been in Chiang Mai for a week since they kept saying Chatuchuk was to be flooded. I understand it flooded yesterday from watching TV-but also saw a conflicting post Chumpol (ny sub-district) not flooded yet. Can anyone verify this?

My flight returns Monday and am concernced I may have to extend if this MRT station closes probably can't get taxi to take me home from the airport. Will need to change my flight and probably my hotel as they said they are booked so I can't stay past Sunday. Thanks.

Some of my clients staff were evacuated by truck from Northgate Serviced Apartments opposite SCB Plaza last night. One of the guys is 5 foot nothing and when I asked him how deep was it, he answered, "Higher than me!"

Wow!! Thanks very much for the update. Appreciate it.

Anybody taken a look at Rama 2 road lately? From what I've been reading, the government has decided to give up the charade on that one and let it flood, meaning that Bangkok would be cut off from all of the south and west.

We were planning on making our annual journey right after Thanksgiving, but with Rama 2 soon to be closed indefinitely, we won't even be able to get to our home (unless we fly). We're south of Hua Hin, in Sam Roi Yot National Park.

Sorry to say but animation is incorrect and therefore useless for future predictions. Once an area is filled with water it becomes static. The is no reduction at all and we know that there is far up north.

Looking at the 2008/day317 and 2011/day305 (Nov 1) NASA satellite comparison images (links courtesy ajfoyt Post #1604), thought I'd make them easier to access for everyone. Dark areas = water, brown = habitation, green = vegetation, white = clouds. As a distance reference, the width of the Bay of Bangkok at the widest point shown is about 110 kilometers.

For the very casual observers: The brown area at center, bottom is the general Bangkok, Thailand area. The black squiggly thing going through the Bangkok area is the Chao Phraya river. The big, black blob at center, bottom is the Bay of Bangkok. The planet is Earth (for the very, very casual observers).

post-120659-0-18435200-1320448188_thumb.

post-120659-0-19735300-1320448207_thumb.

Edited by MaxYakov

Update for Soi Chinnakeht 1. My staff reports that as of Friday, the water is at 55cm and it's been rising 1-2 cm. It is now impassable for motorcycles and cars.Photo is from Thursday.This area is in Tung Hong Song, Laksi, area east of Klong Prapa and west of Klong Prem Prachakorn.

post-85475-0-61341900-1320453125_thumb.j

I live 50 M from Lat Phrao MRT 21station. I have been in Chiang Mai for a week since they kept saying Chatuchuk was to be flooded. I understand it flooded yesterday from watching TV-but also saw a conflicting post Chumpol (ny sub-district) not flooded yet. Can anyone verify this?

My flight returns Monday and am concernced I may have to extend if this MRT station closes probably can't get taxi to take me home from the airport. Will need to change my flight and probably my hotel as they said they are booked so I can't stay past Sunday. Thanks.

I live in the same area as yourself. Ladprao Road around Big C isn't too bad. It is however flooded at the Union Mall end and at the Ladprao/Ratchada intersection. I think the area won't suffer badly from the floods but it may get marooned between Ratchada and Vipavadee roads. MRT is still open today, but I can't see it staying open if the flooding gets any worse.

Sorry to say but animation is incorrect and therefore useless for future predictions. Once an area is filled with water it becomes static. The is no reduction at all and we know that there is far up north.

Yes I guess random nobody's have far more experience with flow dynamics than the creator of this very accurate (so far) animation

Update for Soi Chinnakeht 1. My staff reports that as of Friday, the water is at 55cm and it's been rising 1-2 cm. It is now impassable for motorcycles and cars.Photo is from Thursday.This area is in Tung Hong Song, Laksi, area east of Klong Prapa and west of Klong Prem Prachakorn.

GM Link Aside: Difficult to spot the klongs amongst the housing, universities, golf courses, driving ranges, housing, sports clubs, etc ...

post-120659-0-56485300-1320456686_thumb.

post-37066-0-76487400-1320456665_thumb.j

good news 3 days on from the beginning of the receding of the flood if you look at the guards box just below the door , you can see where the water was, i would say 5cm, in 3 days

post-37066-0-70473300-1320456356_thumb.j

the beautiful gardens have gone,

post-37066-0-67029700-1320456299_thumb.j

how the gardens used to look,

so to clarify 3 days down 5cm, lam luk ka road klong 4

Edited by scott1999

Ratchada/Latprao intersection was flooded a few hours ago. I went and had a look there.

I life in Huai Kwang

I also headed up Ratchadapisek Rd from Huay Kwang to Lad Prao last night, about 6pm, and from what I saw, the flooding was located at the 2 canals that cross Ratchadapisek Rd between Sutthisan and Lad Prao (see Google maps), and continued North from that point. The water was shin deep on the outbound side of Ratchadapisek Rd however the inbound side of the road had a lot less water on it.

GM Link Aside: Difficult to spot the klongs amongst the housing, universities, golf courses, driving ranges, housing, sports clubs, etc ...

Hmm...I thought we were Tung Hong Song based on the mailing address, but actually based on your map, this is incorrect. This part of Chinnakhet is slightly southwest of the area demarcated as Tung Hong Song as it's slightly south east of Durkhitpundit University and west of the golf driving range. I think what is labled on the map as Tung Hong Song is where the goverment complex is.