Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

What is most important is which direction the water is going in the Bang Seu canal, if towards the river then, if no more water is added by means of rain, opening of flood gates, pumping of Don Muang Airport etc. Chatuchak northwards is in a stable condition, what you have now is what you keep until the situation stabilizes.

The water has been at Mo Chit BTS for a couple of days now, and has not yet climbed the slight hump in the road to the south of Mo Chit where Klong Bang Sue runs under Pahonyothin.

This seems to be the last line of defence for Saphan Kwai, Ari, and eventually Victory Monument.

Yeah, it is starting to get boring. Lets hope things will speed up so we can get some action going.

Sukhumvit and the rest of the "real" center of Bangkok is still nice and dry.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a bit late in the game to suggest this but what about subdividing this page in to four districts, North, East, West, South?

Cracking idea

Hear , hear!

Getting a bit difficult to find info for specific locations now.

If anything, the ThaiVisa members have been too helpful, with invaluable details for the whole region. Would be good if we can divide the info up a little.

What is most important is which direction the water is going in the Bang Seu canal, if towards the river then, if no more water is added by means of rain, opening of flood gates, pumping of Don Muang Airport etc. Chatuchak northwards is in a stable condition, what you have now is what you keep until the situation stabilizes.

The water has been at Mo Chit BTS for a couple of days now, and has not yet climbed the slight hump in the road to the south of Mo Chit where Klong Bang Sue runs under Pahonyothin.

This seems to be the last line of defence for Saphan Kwai, Ari, and eventually Victory Monument.

You picked a good quote there Rick; stable until it stabilizes, the second stabilize refers to a progressive reduction in flow.

I got flooded out of Phutthamonthon Sai5, about half way between Baromrachachonannee and Phetkasem Road. I set up a live webcam in my window on the 3rd floor before leaving. You can see a lot of boats, and how bad things are. I hope the power stays on and the webcam server stays online for the duration of the flood.

Have a look: http://www.sai5.toms-travels.org/

GM_Link - Best Guess GM has sparse road names in that area. The webcam was a great idea. It didn't come up at 6 AM and now looks like the server is down.

post-120659-0-81679600-1320637875_thumb.

Flooding now at Bang Bon behind Central Rama II.

How far Behind Central Rama II?

100 meter? 1 km? 5km?

Can anyone confirm? Because Rama II is the last link between BKK & the entire South.

Should have taken Thaksin advise and built the over-the-sea elevated road from BKK all the way to Phetburi (BangKhunTian to ChaAm if I remember correctly). We don't have to worry now.

Edited by sparebox2

Remember the water doesn't have to pass over anything, it can and will make it's way underground via pipes/drains etc.

[

This is Sunday 06 Nov, 2-4pm. Same locations.

That is very good news. North of there at Rajayothin, it is draining as it has been since Wednesday. What is most important is which direction the water is going in the Bang Seu canal, if towards the river then, if no more water is added by means of rain, opening of flood gates, pumping of Don Muang Airport etc. Chatuchak northwards is in a stable condition, what you have now is what you keep until the situation stabilizes.

Just spotted a flaw in the argument.

The Bang Sue canal must be capable of taking all the water coming down, the roads, plus that already draining via Laad Prow canal. This seems unlikely. If Chatuchak in turn, becomes another big lake like Don Meuang Airport, before going South will this be significant, in reducing the flooding of the center of the city?

Thai TV is reporting live that the water has pushed south of Jatujak towards Big C Saphan Kwai, to a level of 20-30cm

Just went and checked (at 1730)Phaholyothin Rd where it crosses Klong Bang Sue.

The water has moved further south on Phaholyothin Rd towards Klong Bang Sue.

At the moment the water is about 50 metres north of the klong in the southbound lanes and the u-turn just north of the klong is maybe 40cm deep so may soon be impassable to small vehicles.

In the northbound lanes the water starts about 60 metres north of the klong and appears to get up to about 40cm deep near the u-turn but in the lanes heading towards Mochit is fairly shallow as far as I could see to the Kamphaeng Phet junction.

South of the klong there is no water on Phaholyothin Rd including the Big C and Saphan Khwai BTS area and I did not see any water coming up from drains.

There is some flooding on the edges of Klong Bang Sue and some water near the temple at the end of Phaholyothin Soi 15 but this does not seem to have increased in the last few hours.

0930 7/11/11

The water has again moved further south on Phaholyothin Rd towards Klong Bang Sue.

At the moment the water is about 20 metres north of the klong in the southbound lanes and near the u-turn just north of the klong is maybe 40cm deep - still just passable to small vehicles which are game to try.

In the northbound lanes the water starts about 30 metres north of the klong and appears to get up to about 40cm deep near the u-turn but in the lanes heading towards Mochit is fairly shallow as far as I could see to the Kamphaeng Phet junction.

South of the klong there is no water on Phaholyothin Rd including the Big C and Saphan Khwai BTS areas and I did not see any water coming up from drains.

There is some flooding on the edges of Klong Bang Sue.

The water near the temple at the end of Phaholyothin Soi 15 has dried up - Klong Bang Sue went down 4cm overnight but has risen 3cm this morning so the flooding there may reoccur.

GM Link Great report!

post-120659-0-02732200-1320639847_thumb.

Anyone know the status at Ratchadapisek and Sutthisarn intersection?

About half an hour ago, Huay Khwang intersection was normal, Sutthisarn intersection was dry but the tunnel was blocked off and there was shin-high flooding just a bit beyond it (around the Chaophya Park Hotel area).

Edited by mike_l

Remember the water doesn't have to pass over anything, it can and will make it's way underground via pipes/drains etc.

I'm not sure it can in this case -- the canal cuts across in an east-to-west fashion. I'm not sure there are drains under the canal, it seems more likely the water coming from Jatujak will have to fill the canal to overspilling.

That is assuming that all pipes and drains were well planned out when they were built and are all interconnected, which they aren't.

On my way to work this morning,

Ramkhamheng Soi 174 is now completely underwater

Ramkhamheng Soi 164, here the water is creeping in and so far has a level of 10 - 15 cm, may go in to Perfect Place.

No floods whatsoever on Ramkhamheng Main Road. Heavy traffic on Rama 9 Expressway inbound. Wall's Ice Trucks (Pick ups) now also parked on the shoulder making space smalller on the road.

Down in Prakhanong / Bang Jak Area (Lotus On Nut) all bone dry and nothing to report. If you need to visit the Prakhanong Revenue Department at Soi 87 take a cab / motorcycle as there is no more parking.

That is assuming that all pipes and drains were well planned out when they were built and are all interconnected, which they aren't.

In that case there is ground water for the flooding to work through. Underground pipes, drains and also the canals are not totally leak proof. Over the years pipes crack for a number of reasons, large storm drains and canals crack as the ground shifts. So there doesn't have to be a well laid out path for the water to take via an underground route.

A large underground water table can also move/lift an object such as a concrete lined canal, causing it to crack, thus allowing water flow.

Edited by mussen

Water in Chokchai 4 has not advanced much. It has moved 1 soi to the south, still filling drains which are now about 15 cm down (were 40+ cm yesterday). Small vehicles can still pass, but doesn't look like it will last much longer.

Drove from Ayutthaya to Lat Krabang this morning, taking 32, Thanon Asia and then Kanchanapisek outer ring road 9 onto Highway 7 to Chonburi/Pattaya exit Rom Klao, Chao Khun Tahaan and finally Chalongkrung Rd to the Industrial Estate (IE)

Highway 32 is definitely passable for Trucks/Pick ups/ SUV and with some lane changes for regular cars as well

The intersection from 32 onto 1 to Highway 9 is still only passable for T/P/SUV

To Highway 1 and on to Bangkok is ok for all traffic 9 as well only for the higher cars..

What amazed me was the still huge surface areas of water left and right from both

32 and 9. As far as I could see from my pick-up, water, water and more water.

No idea how deep but I can imagine with the water still on the roads and highways

usually built slightly higher than the adjacent area's it must be like 15 cm or deeper

This water still has to go somewhere and is moving slowly

Water level in Ayutthaya has significantly dropped, apart from the river area and unfortunately some of the major Industrial Estates like Rojana, HI Tech and EMS but work is being done at all three at the moment.

Driving the same way from Lat Krabang to Ayutthaya/Nakon Sawan/ Pathumtani/Saraburi is still unsure for me.

Again through traffic on 9 at Ram Intra exit is blocked for a reason I don't understand. This because at Lam Luk Ka, Nakon Nayok/Rangsit/Khlong Luang and direction Saraburi/Ayutthaya/Bang Pa In I definitely noticed traffic on the roads, again only T/P/SUV

Not sure if they send you of at exit Ram Intra if you can get on again and where…

Anyone have an idea or has driven there???

Friday I took Highway 1 to return to Ayutthaya and that is still a mess, took me 5 hours…

Good morning Jumbo, thanks for yr great posting rg the driving situation this morning, we are going from Pattaya to Sukothai this Thu with a 4WD Mitsu Triton and a 4WD Fortuner, do you think we can do it the all way 7/9/32?

Thanks for your kind attention

mag&uli from Pattaya

I think the best way is to take Chonburi motorway cross the hanging bridge to Rama II (route 35) drive direction Ratcahburi just after that you take Route nr4 direction to Nakhon Pathom, just before NP you take the 321 to kampaeng Saen and so on to Suphan Buri and then further North. I took this way to Suphan Buri yesterday an all roads were dry. Buts its a detour of 300 Km.

And I drive a MU7 4WD and not afraid of a little bit water, But last 2 weeks I almost lost my car 2 times because of the suddenly raising water, 1.5 meter high in 30 miniutes, So I'm very carefull now. And they expect that Rama II will be flooded soon, so don't wait too long to make your trip.

Edited by henryalleman

Might be a bit late in the game to suggest this but what about subdividing this page in to four districts, North, East, West, South?

its hard enough monitoring one thread to remove the off topic commentary and discussion. Much less monitoring 4 threads to make sure people are posting in the right one and keeping on topic. Its possible certainly but I am not convinced its doable.

anyway, lets keep this topic relevant to flooding areas for now. if you think of a way to make this doable, send me a PM, thanks

Some things to keep in mind..if you are only seeing the water go down a few cm each day in your area it could be over the normal course of water evaporation rather than progress from draining effort.

Here it goes down 1 cm at night and 1,5-2 during the day. So water might evaporate but the rest is from draining into other area's. You can see the water moving, and when you walk through it there is a current. So id say more draining then evaporation.

Some things to keep in mind..if you are only seeing the water go down a few cm each day in your area it could be over the normal course of water evaporation rather than progress from draining effort.

Here it goes down 1 cm at night and 1,5-2 during the day. So water might evaporate but the rest is from draining into other area's. You can see the water moving, and when you walk through it there is a current. So id say more draining then evaporation.

Well here Thaveewattana Rd Soi 9, it goes up and down 1-2 cm in the night it went down, now it is going up again. I don't know what is causing that. But I saw the same before. Till now like going down 1 cm, going up 2 cm.

The water slip through the sponge like underground into other areas. I think that more water is still running into these areas. It's kind of natural drainage but not big or strong enough to say it's going to be safe anytime soon. In fact it's becoming even more dangerous. Let's hope that there will be no rain in the next three days. This would be something that could create havoc in the city. The ground is overly saturated so there will be not enough flow or drainage.

At the moment the lower tides are a blessing, but that will change in about two weeks again.

In that case there is ground water for the flooding to work through. Underground pipes, drains and also the canals are not totally leak proof. Over the years pipes crack for a number of reasons, large storm drains and canals crack as the ground shifts. So there doesn't have to be a well laid out path for the water to take via an underground route.

A large underground water table can also move/lift an object such as a concrete lined canal, causing it to crack, thus allowing water flow.

My gf spent hours pluging all the drain pipe in front of our house.

However water just arrive from the drain pipe of my next door neighbour.

<deleted>.

its hard enough monitoring one thread to remove the off topic commentary and discussion. Much less monitoring 4 threads to make sure people are posting in the right one and keeping on topic. Its possible certainly but I am not convinced its doable.

anyway, lets keep this topic relevant to flooding areas for now. if you think of a way to make this doable, send me a PM, thanks

Hi, it might be a little bit of work but would I think be more useful in looking for info about areas they live in etc than scrolling through bits and bobs from all over the place? Just a thought.;)

Hi, it might be a little bit of work but would I think be more useful in looking for info about areas they live in etc than scrolling through bits and bobs from all over the place? Just a thought.;)

I guess that would need a better search feature, one that filter through the posts made. No need to open extra threads.

In-laws live near Charan Sanitwong and Phrannok (Fai Chai intersection). So far has been dry, but the nasty little canal near them has been rising and is close to overflowing as of today. Father-in-law was flooded out of Bang Phlad last week, so now the whole family is considering bugging out.