Soldiers And Sandbags Defend Bangkok From Floods - Scene

george

Soldiers and sandbags defend Bangkok from floods - Scene

BANGKOK, October 15, 2011 (AFP) - Thousands of sandbags piled alongside a canal on the northern edge of Bangkok form the last line of defence between the city of 12 million people and a wall of floodwater bearing down on the capital.

The emergency dyke is part of huge efforts to keep Thailand's worst floods in decades from pouring into the densely populated city from the central plains, which are several metres under water in places.

If the defences give way, 72-year-old Chalam Khetrum's house will be one of the first in the path of the muddy waters.

"I've added more sandbags in my backyard because the water came through the back first. At the front the barrier's still holding up but if it breaks I'll be in big trouble," said Chalam, who lives just south of the flood barrier.

Inner Bangkok has so far escaped major flooding as the authorities divert water to areas outside the main city in a bid to prevent the Chao Phraya River bursting its banks and flooding the political and economic heartland.

The capital was bracing for a large amount of run-off water along with seasonal high tides that were making it harder for the flood waters to flow out to sea.

Sandbags have been piled in front of homes and businesses in preparation for possible inundation, and some residents have chosen to leave their vehicles in multi-storey carparks while stocking up on food, water and flashlights.

The authorities called in the military to bolster the floodwalls and said they were confident they could prevent severe inundation in the centre of the low-lying capital.

"The flood protection wall is 4.3 metres (14 feet) high," Therdthum Wongkalasin, a civil engineer with the government's irrigation department, said as he surveyed the last line of defense.

"We can put up more sandbags to increase the wall height. We can say Bangkok is safe because we now have a lot of help from soldiers."

On the other side of the flood defences, in the flood-stricken province of Pratum Thani, Chanvut Wongphet's home has been inundated for several days.

He built a concrete wall almost half a metre high at the entrance but the waist-high water is still leaking through, and his family is working the water pump on round-the-clock shifts.

In the streets near his home, boats have replaced cars.

He said he understood why the government focused its efforts on keeping Bangkok dry, but feared things could get even worse for him.

"They're trying to protect the area which will affect the country the most. I accept that but the aid still needs to keep coming to the people who are already in trouble," the 45-year-old said.

"We can live now but what I'm worried about is if the electricity and water are cut. It will be difficult. I won't be able to pump water out and the flood will leak into my house and we will have to live on the second floor."

Even inside the flood barriers, many residents are moving belongings to the second floor despite the government's reassurances.

"I sometimes wake up during the night to see if everything is OK. I've packed up and moved everything I can to the second floor," said Chalam.

"Whatever happens, happens. But I still believe it will be OK because they can't let the wall collapse otherwise Bangkok will be under water," she added.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-15

We are flooded out here in Charoennakorn, near BTS Krung Thonburi. The streets and sidewalks are underwater at the moment. The storm just pushed out, so I'm sure it will be a few hours before all the water drains out.

Best of luck Passon! I'm heading back to Bangkok Tuesday night and I hope all will be well. The conflicting reports are maddening for those of you in country I'm sure. But it doesn't help those of us on the abroad either!

Best of luck Passon! I'm heading back to Bangkok Tuesday night and I hope all will be well. The conflicting reports are maddening for those of you in country I'm sure. But it doesn't help those of us on the abroad either!

Thanks so much. The streets are almost clear now, and it doesn't appear there is another storm headed this way, at least for the time being. Yes, the message machine has way too many Indians in the tribe, and each one tells a different story which is very frustrating. I hope all is clear here when you arrive on Tuesday, all we can do is hope! Safe trip!

did you already see it ? or, you are still waiting for something tangible ?

ooops, I am bubbling under the water . . .

This Major Disaster will be one of the key tests on PM's government.

The citizens, and business community will use this as a test to see just how she handles this and if she is capable of handing future disasters.

From what I have seen in my local area the flood defenses are a joke, they have no chance of withstanding the pressure from tons of water. My condo building backs on to a klong, the condo owners have erected a wooden fence to stop the water, as if that will hold, but even worse is that neighboring land has no defenses whatsoever so we will get the water from them anyway !

Likewise at the Hitech industrial estate the defences there looked good but had no chance of holding against tons of water. As a result millions of dollars worth of business has been lost with the obvious knock on effects. My friends factory there employs only 250 people - they are now out of a job. As for the others that employ many, many more I hate to think.

As with a lot of things here they look good on the surface but underneath it all falls flat.

most Bangkokian actually don't understand the flood defenses in this situation. they always experience flooding of rain water ( that due to bad drainage ). it is simply the volume of water, say 10 to 20cm per hour of water fall. then sand bagging could be the best effort.

well, we are in the situation of billion cubic meter of river run-off. this is a huge volume of water with very aggressive momentum. sand bagging becomes a marginal solution. I saw in China, the PLA soldiers lined up huge wall of 50kg sand bags, that last 20 minutes when water arrive. the sand bag we see on the street, 10 minutes ?

From what I have seen in my local area the flood defenses are a joke, they have no chance of withstanding the pressure from tons of water. My condo building backs on to a klong, the condo owners have erected a wooden fence to stop the water, as if that will hold, but even worse is that neighboring land has no defenses whatsoever so we will get the water from them anyway !

Likewise at the Hitech industrial estate the defences there looked good but had no chance of holding against tons of water. As a result millions of dollars worth of business has been lost with the obvious knock on effects. My friends factory there employs only 250 people - they are now out of a job. As for the others that employ many, many more I hate to think.

As with a lot of things here they look good on the surface but underneath it all falls flat.

most Bangkokian actually don't understand the flood defenses in this situation. they always experience flooding of rain water ( that due to bad drainage ). it is simply the volume of water, say 10 to 20cm per hour of water fall. then sand bagging could be the best effort.

well, we are in the situation of billion cubic meter of river run-off. this is a huge volume of water with very aggressive momentum. sand bagging becomes a marginal solution. I saw in China, the PLA soldiers lined up huge wall of 50kg sand bags, that last 20 minutes when water arrive. the sand bag we see on the street, 10 minutes ?

If the people that mattered in Thailand listened to more up to date Thai's and farang , Thailand would be a more advanced place. But they don't want that.....