Are Any Farangs Helping In Bkk Floods?

thaibeachlovers

You do not need a work permit to make a cash donation, however small.

The red cross would make sure it was used to help the people who are in need.

You do not have to be in Thailand. But if you are and you are concerned about the work permit issue then that is a alternative

That is what my wife and I have done.

We are not in Thailand at the moment.

If I was I am to old to fill sandbags so the cash is the only way i could help.

I am not rich but 10.000 Baht won't see me on my uppers.

So how about it you old folks, anything you can afford will help

Good luck and keep safe

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do not need a work permit to make a cash donation, however small.

The red cross would make sure it was used to help the people who are in need.

You do not have to be in Thailand. But if you are and you are concerned about the work permit issue then that is a alternative

That is what my wife and I have done.

We are not in Thailand at the moment.

If I was I am to old to fill sandbags so the cash is the only way i could help.

I am not rich but 10.000 Baht won't see me on my uppers.

So how about it you old folks, anything you can afford will help

Good luck and keep safe

Yes, any help however given is needed.

As you said though, give it through an organisation that won't steal it. I remember when donations for the tsunami were stolen from a locked safe ( with a key ), presumably by an official- sad.

I had read about the work permit stuff but figured it was nonsense. I refuse to believe somebody would have come to arrest me or whatever because I was helping to fill up some sandbags. I headed to Suvarnabhumi Airport and after much work (they don't make it easy) found the place where they fill and load sandbags onto trucks. I was able to work, and as expected, nobody looking for foreigners to tell them they can't work. And I stuck out like a sore thumb, was the only white guy there, so if they really wanted to forbid people it would have been ridiculously easy to do. So if you feel inclined, I say get out there and help.

Well done tm8747a. Glad to see you were not put off by the pathetic scarmongerors, and didn't make up silly excuses not to help. If all the silly buggers who are in a position to help but would prefer to sit in front of their computer telling people they would help if they could (when they can) actually did contribute then they would make a real difference.

Edited by Kananga

Forgot to mention one thing, don't expect to get there and have things all super organized and somebody ready to show you what to do. See what people are doing and do likewise. Good thing is, it's not exactly rocket science, can just be demanding physically if you're loading sand bags for hours in the sun. Also, you may get some weird looks. Doesn't matter. Just think that what you contribute can help some people from being in water up to their neck and be satisfied with that, nevermind the funny looks you may get.

Exactly! The man thing is that you are helping and not coming up with silly excuses not to. I heard one person the other day say he is not going to help even though he was perfectly able to because the authorities didnt ask the american aircraft carrier for help. Can you imagine, being in a position to help every day Thais and coming up with an excuse like that not to do your bit. It's mind boggling.

Again, well done!

I had been home for days....(I live on Krungtep-Non between Wong Sawang & Tiwanon in Nonthaburi) being inundated with conflicting internet & tv info in full on "should I stay or should I go now" flux. Feeling well stocked in food & water and still dry I was traveling daily to shop the fresh market at Thanam Non and check out how the sandbag fortress was holding up at the pier and talk with locals. For a week I've been watching this intense sandbag effort go on at the pier. This effort is what has been keeping my home and the whole area dry. I live in Lake Tahoe half the year and with the amount of snow we get I am practically a professional shoveler. Last night I walked up, thanked them all very much in Thai for all their efforts and asked if I could help. The man I was taking to was in the army and immediately smiled and said sure... and explained he'd been doing this for 5 days straight and this was supposed to be his day off. I grabbed the shovel, he grabbed a bag and we spent the next three hours shoveling, bagging and tying. Surrounded by a mountain of sandbags with all ages of people working. I was offered food & drink and many were interested in why I could shovel so well and they heard tales of what it's like to live in snow country. All in all it felt great to lend a hand and I honestly the endorphins of some exercise really helped clear my head. When I left about 10 young boys started applauding....they said they hadn't seen any other "Farangs" there at all. This is at the Nonthaburi Pier. (Thanam Non) It is the main sandbagging station for the province of Nonthaburi. We are surrounded by water right now....any help is seriously appreciated down there, people are getting tired~ and seriously... no one cares if you have a work permit!!!

post-25014-0-94926100-1319867316_thumb.j

post-25014-0-68246300-1319867564_thumb.j

post-25014-0-57882800-1319867619_thumb.j

This is very sad. All those replies about work permits etc. We live in a Moo Baan of 250 odd houses and I am the only farang. Generally I keep to myself yet in the current disaster I just cannot sit and do nothing. So slowly it began. The village folks came to help with sandbagging as we border a klong and I had to help (sorry my nature to get involved when people are on 'our property'). Then I was asked to assist with other peoples homes. How could I say no? The folks here are generally good people and I would be extremely surprised if I was dobbed in for not having the appropriate WP.

So cut the crap about WP's and go out and do what you can. This mess needs all of us to do our bit, whatever that may be. Take care and be safe.

... for the people wondering about immigration.work permits, it's not a concern, don't worry - just come on down and join up. For the moronic trolls here and there trying to scaremonger on the topic, please put a cork in it and stop trying to prevent people from helping in a disaster, you selfish pricks.

+1 jap.gif

www.ismyhouseflooded.com came across this on FB. I know Thailand sent a 747 filled with rice to aid Katrina victims in 2005. many of us in the States would like to help, but really don't know how. Are there any links where a foreigner can make a donation to the TRC or similar organization?

I would forgive the people, who mentioned work permits....they are probably good people--anyone, who has had visa or WP hassles will be understandably bitter about rules/laws that have run ammuck.

www.ismyhouseflooded.com came across this on FB. I know Thailand sent a 747 filled with rice to aid Katrina victims in 2005. many of us in the States would like to help, but really don't know how. Are there any links where a foreigner can make a donation to the TRC or similar organization?

I would forgive the people, who mentioned work permits....they are probably good people--anyone, who has had visa or WP hassles will be understandably bitter about rules/laws that have run ammuck.

Donate to the Red Cross

• 5 weeks later...