Have You Been Charitable, Did You Donate?

RogueExpat

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went to the Nation building over the weekend to pack

but turned out there was more heavy lifting work required, so I wasnt of much use

cousin went to the red cross, which now seem more like where I can contribute a bit more

however, seems the immediate need now is for filling sandbags.....

My "style" of doing charity. I will NEVER donate money to any organization stating they are helping who and who. If I were to donate, I will give the money, or even the necessary things they need to the one who really needs it.

Donate money to these place, I wonder where to $$$ went to?

but turned out there was more heavy lifting work required, so I wasnt of much use

cousin went to the red cross, which now seem more like where I can contribute a bit more

I have been doing that in the village and of course donating to the village fund for pumps and sandbags. Its selfish because i live in the village too. But I put in a lot of time and more money then most.

I have been doing that in the village and of course donating to the village fund for pumps and sandbags. Its selfish because i live in the village too. But I put in a lot of time and more money then most.

We gave through the village donation.... food, water, money and some needed items for ladies (the lovely wife's idea...good one, I thought). Happy to help, hope something is learned from this flood experience.:jap:

would give but aid agencies always report in thailand most goes in corruption and inefficent management of the aid so no. if i could help somebody directly would do happily. but giving cash knowing its going to salted away to some big boss some where, no way. already penty of cases where flood aid has been taken by govement officials.

Quite a bit actually, but not in cash. Mostly clothes, canned goods, and basic over the counter meds. Cash is too tempting for most folks I think... but you have to be on the far end to be hijacking sardines and tuna, so hopefully most of it has made it to folks in need.

:)

Was going to donate online but Kasikorm were going to apply an inter-bank charge so I aborted on principle.

Will probably now donate through Red Cross.

SCB waived inter-bank charges:

A “Siam Commercial Foundation-Siam Commercial Bank for Flood Victims” account (111-3-90911-5) without inter-region transfer fee charges. Donors can fax a copy of their money transfer together with their name, address, and phone number to 02-544-1040 or send by e-mail to [email protected] to receive a receipt for tax rebate purposes.

A couple of interesting negative comments I've heard people say about helping with flood relief efforts are: "If they want to name their political parties things like 'Thai Rak Thai (Thais love Thais) then I say, 'Thai Chuay Thai (Thais help Thais)". I have also heard comments expressing concern that with all the unchecked corruption in Thailand they are afraid that any contributions of money they donate would never make it to the people who need the help. I even heard somebody say that they feel they've been ripped off so often that they're always making an indirect contribution.

Let me make it VERY CLEAR that these are NOT my feelings but things I've heard.

I have seen donations misappropriated. When I asked the fund managers about why money was diverted - they were totally unrepentant and carried on as if everything was okey. That is the reason I am very cynical about donations. If I do donate money or supplies - it will be from my hands to the hands of those in need. I do not want to have any intermediary between me and those in need.

I am both amazed, and dismayed, by the willingness to give, and willingness to take, from what I have witnessed over the past two weeks.

The country town where I live, also affected by flooding, managed to raise the equivalent of a few million Baht in cash, clothes, food, bricks, medicine, sandbags and logistics in the space of 7 days. This was co-ordinated by Sajja Rescue. My hat off to them, a sterling job.

(Note: Cash donated was mainly used to by fuel, and other logistical items, such as stuff for boats.)

The first convoy was sent to Ayudthiya last Friday night, it included 3 eighteen wheeler and 5 ten wheeler transport trucks, nearly 50 pickups, and numerous boats.

Upon arriving at Ayudthiya, there was absolutely no co-ordination for dispersing donated items. Both local and national government agencies appeared not to be the slightest bit interested. Local bands of thugs helpers wanted ridiculous amounts of money to unload the trucks (5000B per truck was one figure my driver was quoted). Over water transport was being quoted at 500B for a short ride.

Luckily enough people went along with the trucks to un-load them, however, because of government procrastination, and lack of any co-ordination (maybe no-one had any idea of what to do because there has never been a disaster plan written up), there was no-where to unload stuff.

My truck sat there for 36 hours, with residents in need of supplies occasionally climbing up the sides and helping themselves, before a place was found to un-load the goods.

All it would have taken is some leadership from the national level to co-ordinate rescue and help efforts a little better. Recognise the problem, assign a competent official to each area, and give him/her the authority to co-ordinate efforts as seen fit, instead of the "get your face (and Burberry boots :lol:) on the TV cameras, pretend you are concerned, make some statements that have absolutely no factual basis, and then do nothing type of self serving stuff we have been witnessing for the past week or so.

for those that are concerned about where the money goes, you could buy a number of basic food and toiletries item and donate to the various shelters that exist around town?

the biggest one close to bangkok is at thammasat university campus (rangsit campus)