'Interesting Article About Work Hours And Related Stress'

Was just reading this article and it made me think about the amount of hours Thai's work and the impact it must have on there health.

Working more than just 40 hours a week can burn you out, experts claimed last night.

Putting in more than an eight-hour-day five days a week makes you six times more likely to suffer ‘burnout syndrome’.

The psychological condition leaves employees suffering from long-term exhaustion, diminished interest in their work and irritability.

Hard day at the office? Experts say workplace stress is on the rise and boring jobs can lead to a burn-out

Chronic workplace stress combined with a lack of recognition of their efforts by bosses are two important factors, researchers revealed.

Jeszs Montero-Marmn, of Spain's Aragon Institute of Health Sciences, said the condition can be broken down into three sub-types - 'frentic', 'under-challenged' and 'worn out'.

Writing in journal BMC Psychiatry he said: 'This condition is increasing in prevalence in Spain and poses a serious problem to society because of the economic losses it causes and its consequences for health.'

He said that the frenetic profile was linked to the number of hours worked, with those spending more than 40 hours a week at work six times more likely to burn out than those working fewer than 35.

Pep talks 'can double a patient's chance of surviving a stroke'

Your £15m bill to pay for activists behind school strike chaos

They are normally heavily involved in their workplace, ambitious and with a large taskload.

The 'under challenged' profile fits those carrying out monotonous task, while the 'worn out' profile applies to those with a long history in the same job who carry a perceived lack of recognition.

A worker with more than 16 years' service in the same place of work is five times more at risk of developing this form of the syndrome than another worker with a service record of less than four years

The researchers used questionnaires to survey a sample of 409 employees working at the University of Zaragoza, including administrative, services, teaching and research staff and interns.

Those afflicted with the syndrome suffer emotional exhaustion, cynicism or lack of efficacy at work and experts say that the syndrome is present if the person displays at least one of these three characteristics.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008486/Burnout-risk-working-40-hours.html#ixzz1b8F3kBx0

The researchers used questionnaires to survey a sample of 409 employees working at the University of Zaragoza, including administrative, services, teaching and research staff and interns.

Having worked as a research officer in one of the best ranked Technological Research Institutes I can say yes, long long hours of work - but stress no.

I'm currently working 7 days a week 14+ hours a day in the O&G Industry - Total stress.

The hours I'm working are not dissimilar to those I worked in the University - The difference, in the research institute I was in charge of the hours I worked - in Private industry I have to put up with fackwit spreadsheet managers telling me what my priorities are and what my working day shall be. Sure, the pay is an order of magnitude higher, but when it comes to stress at work I'm convinced it is not how much work we take on or how many hours we work - Rather how much control we have over our work load and working hours.

Having worked as a research officer in one of the best ranked Technological Research Institutes I can say yes, long long hours of work - but stress no.

I'm currently working 7 days a week 14+ hours a day in the O&G Industry - Total stress.

The hours I'm working are not dissimilar to those I worked in the University - The difference, in the research institute I was in charge of the hours I worked - in Private industry I have to put up with fackwit spreadsheet managers telling me what my priorities are and what my working day shall be. Sure, the pay is an order of magnitude higher, but when it comes to stress at work I'm convinced it is not how much work we take on or how many hours we work - Rather how much control we have over our work load and working hours.

O&G = obstetrics and gynecology. I also started working in that industry since I moved to Thailand. Welcome to the club. It must be time for my next examination...

Yes,not suprising if boring tasks tires more than funny/interestingm and 100 hours per week tires more than 40 hours :)

BUT that investigation missed to check the MOST COMMON reason, by they checked only one organization/company

Yes, something like that.

I have told for decades the main reason - if the work load isn't extreemly big in the long run - it's about having control, and some years ago a big Swedish investigation told the same :)

=If geting demands without geting enough resourses/power to reach it within reason, then that's made many burn outs. Liking the job is a big factor, and if not get such contril, then it's a big risk not liking the job :)

In private companies the working speed (effectivity) is much higher in average than in public jobs, but there are much more burn outs in the public sector. The investigation don't tell, but I say it depends of the bosses in private companies are much better in average, the "left overs", who private companies don't want, become bosses in the public organisations. Plus when the leaders in a private company is to bad, then theese companies go bankruptcy, so such leaders often clean out themselfes :) And when there are bad leaders in good companies, then they are exchanged normaly.