Aftermarket Sunroofs

Banzai99

Having owned a Vehicle fitted with one (all dancing factory electric) when i bought it ,all it did for me confirmed what i personally thought before along with convertables here - waste of space. I would think long and hard before you shell out to have one fitted, note the locals call them moonroofs you can work out why. Another use could be as a flood escape hatch though.

Edited by kartman

Having owned a Vehicle fitted with one (all dancing factory electric) when i bought it ,all it did for me confirmed what i personally thought before along with convertables here - waste of space.

Waste of space? :blink: Is that space for some other vital purpose? Just out of curiosity where do you think would be a better location then a sunny climate for a feature that let's in sun/moonlight and also vents interior heat possibly even when the car is sitting idle if it has that feature? :huh: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I chuckled, on a serious note though I am keen to put a sunroof in my pickup so a location in Thailand would be appreciated.

Yes, that's what I was hoping for too, before the thread degenerates into a pissing contest like so many of the other threads on Thai visa do.

^ From that search, here's a company called Mengun Sunroof:

http://www.mengsunroof.com/

And here's a mob that appear to be installing OEM sunroofs cut from wrecks:

http://www.weekendhobby.com/thai2market/Question.asp?ID=13401&group=offroad

There's a ton of phone number only posts on Thai language forums, which can be found in the Google search above..

:D About as much use here to a Ferang as 4W.D..After about a year the Sun Bakes the seals, and you get a free shower in the Carrefor Car Wash.

Yep.

That's why I found the mob installing OEM cuts interesting - as OEM roofs are designed in such a way that the seals aren't exposed to the sun. Heat is still a factor though, but I've nerver heard of Teana or Accord owners having issues with their OEM sunroofs leaking in TH..

That said, an aftermarket sunroof is a sure-fire way to strip another 100K+ off your resale value in TH. OEM-style or not, Thai's will never trust them if they didn't come on the car from the factory.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Idiom, I've got windows that go down to let the hot air out but i can see where your coming from if you need a hole in the roof as well ;) .

Yep but you can't vent through your windows as easily without compromising the security of your locked car, nor does it do as good a job being that hot air rises it vents much better out the roof. Still, the purpose for the roof is to open up to the great outdoors and an open window lets in just too much of that down at street level for me including traffic noise. Not the same purposes at all :) .

:D About as much use here to a Ferang as 4W.D..After about a year the Sun Bakes the seals, and you get a free shower in the Carrefor Car Wash.

I'd still like to know WHERE they are more useful to have in if not in the climate they are most perfectly designed for?

Baked seals indeed, still living in the 60's Star? :lol: Why would you drive all the way to France to get a car wash :blink: ?? No Carrefore's in Thailand ;) ..

JFYI Likely a lot of farang wishing they had 4x4 right now..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep - floods aside and back (sorta) on topic, in my experience the rear hatch on an SUV/PPV is very, very effecient at letting heat escape.. Crack a front door, open the rear hatch, and the built up heat is gone in a jiffy :)

:cheesy: Oh yes there was. So 4Bys are more waterproof are they......As for Sunroofs, you want a Thai Son n Daughter. One Bodged a hole in the roof, cause its trendy, the other put those Dim Wit Doors that fly up in the Air . All in the last 2 years..

Hehehehe, I have two Thai kids, and the first one's coming up for car ownership in the next few years.. Pretty confident they'll be coming to dad for advice over their Thai friends though. That's got nothing to do with the fact that it's my job though - just because I hold the purse strings.. Hope that's enough ;)

Yep.

That's why I found the mob installing OEM cuts interesting - as OEM roofs are designed in such a way that the seals aren't exposed to the sun. Heat is still a factor though, but I've nerver heard of Teana or Accord owners having issues with their OEM sunroofs leaking in TH..

Neither have I in 40 plus years of living in a hotter, equally wet climate as this, on any manufacturers cars since the early 70's when they first became popular. Even more I love to hear things like this coming from those from Europe or other much cooler climates thinking it's the only climate and knowing very little about this climate..

Most don't know the mechanics of the unit and that many like BMW have drain tubes that travel down the A pillars and often times the C pillars for drainage and those are what get blocked up and back up with water, clean them out job done.. It has little to do with the seals, the seals are for sealing against wind noise and to insulate. The roof is over-cut to provide for a drain ledge to catch water and provide drainage so the seals are largely irrelevant to a certain extent where water is concerned and has been for decades ..

When I raced in the north of the US and it was 80 degrees in the summer with 70 percent humidity (cool and dry compared to where I came from where it was 96-98 degrees and mostly 90 to 100% humidity) and all the northern drivers were in their A/C trailers or outside wilting and complaining how hot is was before the race even started.

I found quite entertaining and strategically important to hear what their version of "hot and humid" was and just know when the race was on the line they'd be dying so I just pushed them into exhaustion early and mistakes, race over :lol: ..

Anyway good luck OP this is a perfect place and climate to have a sun/moon roof wish I had one but not going to invest any more money here..

:cheesy: Oh yes there was. So 4Bys are more waterproof are they......As for Sunroofs, you want a Thai Son n Daughter. One Bodged a hole in the roof, cause its trendy, the other put those Dim Wit Doors that fly up in the Air . All in the last 2 years..

Water proof? Yes if they ride higher ABOVE the water!! :cheesy: But still I hadn't realized that was the purpose for buying a 4X4 :huh: .... Silly me....

Yep - floods aside and back (sorta) on topic, in my experience the rear hatch on an SUV/PPV is very, very effecient at letting heat escape.. Crack a front door, open the rear hatch, and the built up heat is gone in a jiffy :)

Yes, very much like a sunroof, only you can vent a sunroof while your car is closed up so it never builds up that much heat to begin with..

I cant remember anyone opening the roof on 3 Accords.Just as my Mitsu never engaged 4W.D. I know my 4wd comments annoy the Macho Men, but farmers can go anywhere in 2 wheel drive .Perhaps a Tesco Lotus in a Valley Swamp would justify a retired Ferang paying extra.

So YOU were foolish or not macho enough not use them, so no one should own one :huh: ??

Edited by WarpSpeed

I cant remember anyone opening the roof on 3 Accords.Just as my Mitsu never engaged 4W.D. I know my 4wd comments annoy the Macho Men, but farmers can go anywhere in 2 wheel drive .Perhaps a Tesco Lotus in a Valley Swamp would justify a retired Ferang paying extra.

I have pulled two 2WD trucks out of trouble with my 4x4 :). Also got out of a swamped temple (funeral) whilst the rest stayed behind. :lol:

The flood situation in the future will not get better soon and so my ride will take me virtually anywhere in comfort. :huh:

I have pulled two 2WD trucks out of trouble with my 4x4 :). Also got out of a swamped temple (funeral) whilst the rest stayed behind. :lol:

The flood situation in the future will not get better soon and so my ride will take me virtually anywhere in comfort. :huh:

I hear you both - there's a few tracks to friends' places I wouldn't attempt in the wet season without 4WD, but a RWD with limited slip will get you in and out of 99.99% of places in TH..

:cheesy: Didn't know it had one till i just looked, its the Wife's choice , yeah, i must go round looking for something to pull out of Temples, never thought of that.. I think every Macho Man should have one, the bigger the Stickers the better. Must put some on the Chelsea Tractor. Sorry Guys but for Mr Average they are never used.

:cheesy: Didn't know it had one till i just looked, its the Wife's choice , yeah, i must go round looking for something to pull out of Temples, never thought of that.. I think every Macho Man should have one, the bigger the Stickers the better. Must put some on the Chelsea Tractor. Sorry Guys but for Mr Average they are never used.

Some of us aren't Mr.Average, but as you seem to be then crack on. :D

Yes actually there are advantages to AWD. It costs a little more but even your wife could notice the difference in the rain..giggle.gif Also nice if you can afford them, air bags, anti-lock braking, seat belts etc...clap2.gif