URGENT: Bangkok Governor Orders Evacuation Of Residents Of 27 Communities

webfact

Bangkok governor orders evacuations of residents of 27 communities

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra Saturday issued a warning for residents of 27 communities along Chao Phya River to evacuate immediately.

The governor issued the warning at 4:28 pm. He said residents of the 27 communities outside flood barriers should leave their homes immediately as the river is swelling.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-22

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bkk Gov Orders 27 Riverside Communities to Evacuate

The Bangkok governor has ordered the evacuations of 27 riverside communities outside the flood barriers of the Chrao Phraya River has the water level increases considerably.

The Chrao Phraya River water level was reported this afternoon at 2.4 meters, 10 centimeters below the barrier level.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-22

footer_n.gif

The Chaopraya river is the natural way for Bangkok to be flooded by this deluge. The chaopraya river has never been blocked. Bangkok could never escape "sharing the flood misery" with the rest of central Thailand.

But flooding Bangkok's residential and commercial areas by opening the flood gates of those canals (designed with intention to protect these areas) will have little positive effect (on the dispersion of flood waters) in the final analysis ..... but will have huge negative effect on the population

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

*edited out*

Either the governor was more specific and The Nation hasn't bothered reporting it, or he was deliberately vague and expected people to read his mind.

No prizes for guessing which is the most likely.....

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

I am not being flippant about this but it will be interesting to see how the insurance companies work this one out

as its a natural rain water flood held back by levies and protection then levies opened which makes it a man made flood and not an act of nature

Most insurance policies omit everything that any one can make a claim on and so this is an interesting situation

BTW I am housing and feeding a few Thais that have lost all

What a CROCK OF ****! We live on the Chao Praya at Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 (Bangplad). I have been monitoring the water levels closely as we live RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER. At 15:48 (high tide) the water was about 2" higher than yesterday's tide @ 16:48 (when the evac order was given) the water level had dropped by 2". I know this because I am using static points on the neighbouring building to monitor it. Simple technique, I know, but effective.

Will post more if it changes.

this sums up everything regarding public information and communication about the floods, it seems like forever now that the 'floods are coming' yet I still see zilch in central Bangkok and now we have a report saying the Governor of Bkk orders the evacuation of 27 areas and no mention of which ones crazy.gif

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

What a CROCK OF ****! We live on the Chao Praya at Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 (Bangplad). I have been monitoring the water levels closely as we live RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER. At 15:48 (high tide) the water was about 2" higher than yesterday's tide @ 16:48 (when the evac order was given) the water level had dropped by 2". I know this because I am using static points on the neighbouring building to monitor it. Simple technique, I know, but effective.

Will post more if it changes.

I've been watching the water level on the Saphan Phut webcam for the last week. While it varies with the tide, today was the highest it's been, it's still slopping over onto the footpath at the moment. There was also water starting to come out the drains in some parts of Sukhumvit about lunchtime.

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Phuket.

looks like there wont be a " other side of the saphan taksin bridge " good luck bibik !

I am astonished a number of expats have stayed in Bangkok to watch the latest disaster engulf them...no I'm not....dismayed is a better word..water-borne disease is your new mantra guys...tread very warily in the filth and wash them nibbles and bites clean...better still - head for Rayong!

List in Thai here.

พื้นที่เสี่ยงภัยริมแม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา 13 เขต 27 ชุมชนนอกคันกั้นน้ำ1. เขตบางซื่อ มี 2 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนพระราม 6 (ฝั่งติดแม่น้ำ) และชุมชนปากคลองบางเขนใหม่

(BangSue)

2. เขตดุสิต มี 5 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนเขียวไข่กา (ถ.เขียวไข่กาช่วงปลาย) 20 ครัวเรือน ชุมชนราชผาทับทิมร่วมใจ(เชิงสะพานกรุงธน) ชุมชนซอยสีคาม (ซอยสามเสน 19 ช่วงปลาย) ชุมชนปลายซอยมิตรคาม(ซอยสามเสน 13 ช่วงปลาย)และชุมชนวัดเทวราชกุญชรฯ (ถ.ศรีอยุธยาช่วงปลาย)

(Dusit)

3. เขตพระนคร มี 3 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนท่าวัง ชุมชนท่าช้าง และชุมชนท่าเตียน

(Phranakorn)

4. เขตสัมพันธวงศ์ มี 2 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดปทุมคงคา(ท่าน้ำสวัสดี) และชุมชนตลาดน้อย

(Sumpuntawong)

5. เขตบางคอแหลม มี 4 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดบางโคล่นอก ชุมชนหน้าวัดอินทร์บรรจง ชุมชนซอยมาตานุสรณ์ และชุมชนหลังร.พ.เจริญกรุงประชารักษ์

(Bangkorlairm)

6. เขตยานนาวา มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนโรงสี (ถ.พระราม 3)

(Yanawa)

7. เขตคลองเตย มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนสวนไทรริมคลองพระโขนง

(KlongToei)

8. เขตบางพลัด มี 1 ชุมชน คือชุมชนวัดฉัตรแก้ว

(Bangplut)

9. เขตบางกอกน้อย 4 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนสันติชนสงเคราะห์ ชุมชนปากคลองน้ำตาล-คลองพิณพาทย์ ชุมชนตรอกวังหลังและชุมชนดุสิต-นิมิตรใหม่

(Bangkoknoi)

10. เขตธนบุรี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนปากคลองบางกอกใหญ่

(Thonburi)

11. เขตคลองสาน 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนเจริญนครซอย 29/2

(Klongsahm)

12. เขตราษฎร์บูรณะ มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนดาวคะนอง

(Rachaburana)

13. เขตทวีวัฒนา มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดปรุณาวาส

(Tawiwuttana)

My translations in English (bracketed)

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

The Chaopraya river is the natural way for Bangkok to be flooded by this deluge. The chaopraya river has never been blocked. Bangkok could never escape "sharing the flood misery" with the rest of central Thailand.

But flooding Bangkok's residential and commercial areas by opening the flood gates of those canals (designed with intention to protect these areas) will have little positive effect (on the dispersion of flood waters) in the final analysis ..... but will have huge negative effect on the population

makes some sense... if 'all districts' of Bangkok are going to be flooded with water levels of 50 cm to 1 m for about 1 month as described by minister Plodprasop...what's going to happen to day to day life ? What about the undergound train (MRT)...wouldn't that be very badly damaged - the tracks and entire stations would be submerged for a month ?? Is it safe to assume that ? How much is that going to cost to put back in working condition ?