Change Of Dates Royal Flora Ratchaphruek

SwaziBird

Originally scheduled to open 9th November and close in February.

There was apparently a change to open on 16th December.

The latest pronouncement is that the opening has been set for 14th December and closing mid-March.

Those of us who have purchased tickets in advance from Krungthai Bank may want to cancel and it will be interesting to see how that is going to be handled.

Anyone had occasion to try this yet ?

Disappointing for some visitors expecting to see this extravaganza.

Cheers.

swasibird... re .. Those of us who have purchased tickets in advance from Krungthai Bank

dave2 is guilty of this offence ( see pic ) but who cares ?

im sure they will honor the tickets .. no problem

if they dont ive lost 200 baht ( thats about 4 quid english ) or one ferang meal ! ... who cares ?

no offence honest : ) ..... dave2

post-42592-0-40058400-1319472812_thumb.j

Many businesses in town hope this Rachapruek will be a disaster. Last time it took place in 2006 it sucked in thousands of domestic tourists who filled up the flights preventing freer

spending foreign tourists from getting here As well as filling up the the trains and buses in the High Season, and clogging up the roads around town, they hardly spent any money -

except in the very Khao soi restaurants and Pork Scratching factories owned by the councillors and local petite bourgeoisie who wanted to re-run the event.

The 2006 event itself was mildly interesting if you had a boring afternoon to kill - the reconstruction of a Bhutanese hill hut was excellent, other than that it was just a collection

of food stalls and foot massages that you find at all events like this. Some of the floral displays were OKish, a lot failed to adapt to the tropical climate (even in Chiang Mai's winter) and

died, leading to repeated (unproven) allegations that plastic flowers had been substituted!

Given that the marketting company for Royal Flora (and the original agreement was that it would be marketed abroad as well as within Thailand - which will almost certainly not happen) was only appointed around July this year, one wonders if the flooding is a convenient excuse to put the event back to try and punt it a bit more! The problem is that by extending

it to mid-March the flowers will surely all die as the hot season will be well under way by then and possible the poor air quality issues will have kicked in.

It will also compete with the annual (and much better) Chiang Rai Flower festival in January and the well planned Chiang Mai flower festival in late January/early February.

Time to cancel the whole event methinks

Time to cancel the whole event methinks

Do not forget that the hotels were complaining because all the rooms were booked up, but the locals did not use the extra services like laundry and their restaurants that make a hotel profitable.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well as a hotel owner I can't agree with these comments. I am happy that they are holding the event and hopefully giving a well needed boost to Chiang Mai's tourism. It seems a little unfair to knock any effort made.Presumably some people enjoy the event. If guests don't use the laundry or restaurant in my resort that is their choice, I am still happy that they honoured me with their business and I welcome both domestic and foreign visitors equally.

Because your place is empty?<div> Why? Look in the mirror.</div><div>Maybe because of location or no  follow up on travel agents who are interested but don' get a reply?</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><div>The complete season 2006 was difficult because of it so please NOoooooooooooo.</div></div><div>Old Bell was spot on in his comment.</div>

swasibird... re .. Those of us who have purchased tickets in advance from Krungthai Bank

dave2 is guilty of this offence ( see pic ) but who cares ?

im sure they will honor the tickets .. no problem

if they dont ive lost 200 baht ( thats about 4 quid english ) or one ferang meal ! ... who cares ?

no offence honest : ) ..... dave2

Dave2, no offence taken. It's not the money as such that worries me.

It's the fact that day tickets were issued in the purchaser's name and set for a specific date (with the exception of open-dated multi-entry tickets).

This means more than just the refund it means having to get tickets re-issued for fresh dates (if indeed, the purchaser is still able to attend) since the chances are very likely (?) that you simply can't just roll up with an incorrectly dated ticket.

Whatever the situation - how cancelled/refunded/re-issued - will be interesting to see played out.

I will be interested to hear from anyone who has actually spoken to the bank.

Cheers.

re ... It's the fact that day tickets were issued in the purchaser's name and set for a specific date

ahhhh i didnt know that !

the lady in the bank asked me if i wanted to go in more than a few times

and i said yes so she gave me an open ticket that let me go any day over the

three months it was supposed to be open ... or is that now 2 ?

anyway i see your point now but we will have to wait and see what happens im afraid

coz as you know ... there doesnt seem to be a lot of logic used in some decisions here : (

regards ... dave2

post-42592-0-52374900-1319556619_thumb.j