Thailand Declares Holidays To Cope With Flood Crisis

webfact

I have a friend that works for the Ministry of labor. Apparently they have been told that they will get paid at the end of this month but will not receive any pay for the next 3 months after that. Has anyone else heard of this at the Ministry of Labor or any other government agencies? If this does come to pass, how can they expect people to work for no money? Their families have probably lost their homes to floods in many cases, now the ones earning money will not be paid? Would you like some more salt on your wounds sir? Truly a government that does not care at all about the people that follow them blindly.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear zaphodbeeblebrox

I am not sure what you are trying to acheive but posting smart useful articulate responses - with out any name calling or derogatory comments - on Thai Visa will get you no where.

ROFL!

One of the most intelligent responses on TV I have seen. The mere fact that he can spell should get him booted.

I have a friend that works for the Ministry of labor. Apparently they have been told that they will get paid at the end of this month but will not receive any pay for the next 3 months after that. Has anyone else heard of this at the Ministry of Labor or any other government agencies? If this does come to pass, how can they expect people to work for no money? Their families have probably lost their homes to floods in many cases, now the ones earning money will not be paid? Would you like some more salt on your wounds sir? Truly a government that does not care at all about the people that follow them blindly.

I wouldn't jump on this until you pursue some independent verification. Seems to be a bit of an extreme rumor.

Again,

Hopeful Government Worker whistling.gif

Yes - very useful .... thanks! I was just about to draft a note to the team when I got a model draft on TV of all places. I normally only read TV for the amusement value of the petty political bickering.

Now you have the best of both worlds. Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas all rolled into one gift from TV. laugh.gif

Holidays?????

Companies and the economy is falling to pieces as we struggle to keep things going despite the chaos around us

Maybe Yingluck needs a holiday! The rest of us have to work to fix the mess they make...

One last note here, I don't want to directly accuse anyone but shouldn't political infighting take a backseat to an impending humanitarian disaster? One week ago my University notified me of this holiday, it's getting to the general public today. Obviously there are people who know exactly where the water is going, and when it will get there. Lets put politics in the back pocket for a month or two and get the information out there to people who's livelihood and lives are at stake.

Well spoken EvolvingApe. Maybe they should be home with their families. The kids won't be at school. Just pray they'll all get through this with as little trauma as possible. All business houses are going to suffer or have already done so.

It's tough for all. It's a tough call by the government but, hopefully, it will be help where the devastation is going to be greatest. Like ruination of home and contents, a bed to sleep on , food on the table etc., etc., etc.

Crikey ! surely this means more than a business-house losing some baht when so much more is being lost all across the country.

Foreign Governments must be jumping up and down at losing what seems to me, all the World's leading experts.

Never in one place have I known there to be those that so openly sit day after day giving all the good advice; tearing down the ideas of those that ARE doing something; even if in your own estimations it's wrong.

Occasionally I see others that are also disgusted at the carry on by all the "knockers"

If it is so bad here; and according to most of you it is really bad, then feel free to go back where you come from.

Leave your rules and regulations of your home Country back there....adopt the rules here, or consider your options.

The holiday is certainly needed by those poor souls struggling with Nature's worst... who pays..? who cares. !

If I was young enough I would be out there helping where I could ....

Edited by Suranaree

a 5 day holiday is just what the people need

No food on the store shelves

No money in the bank machines

Great time to give workers time off to go

up north and get drunk for 5 days

As if the remaining unflooded roads to the North and Northeast are not already jammed with traffic, not taking into account the cars parked on expressways and overpasses.

So we have to let the staff go while continue to pay their salaries - again.

Alternatively they come to work and get OT paid.

One question remains: where can I send my extra staff expenses for all those holidays and OT-extras within the Thai government because, despite asking my customers, they are not willing to pay extra.

And yes, the floods were a man-made goofie by some government officials which opened the water gates of all those dams once they were at the brink of overflowing and not continuous water releases as of the beginning of the rainy season (like they do in all other countries on this planet).

So in all fairness and common sense, the government will pay all these extras as it was their executive nameless staff who involved the costs.

Or does common sense not apply here and we just shut up and pay - as usual?

Gee why didn't you warn the government that this was going to be worse rainy season in 50+ years when it all started??? I still cannot get why all the blame on the government for Mother Natyre and for a monster rainy season that no one, not even the global warming fakes could predict.

Oh, as for Global Warming (hoax) wasn't there suppose be be droughts?? This sure does not look like a worldwide global warming drought.

PS all the countries in the world try to keep the water controlled by dams at near capacity, one of the reasons for dams.

Provinces Affected by Thai National Flood Holiday

Thank you, Philippine and Chinese news agency. Couldn't get any information on this from Bangkok's two major English media outlets, one of whom cannot be named here, and the other an owner of TV. whistling.gif

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thailand declares special holiday in 21 flood-hit provinces

(philstar.com) Updated October 25, 2011 03:52 PM Comments (0) post-comments.jpg

BANGKOK (Xinhua) -- The cabinet on Tuesday decided to declare Oct. 27-28 and Oct. 31 an official holiday in 21 flood-hit provinces, including Bangkok, so that people in flood-prone areas would be able to brace for the expected deluge.

Those 21 provinces are central SukhoThai, Pichit, Pitsanulok, Nakornsawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Singburi, Angthong, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Lopburi, Saraburi, Nakornnayok, Prachin Buri, Chasoengsao, Subhan Buri, ankorn Pathom, Khampaengpet, Tak and Bangkok provinces.

Source: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=741176&publicationSubCategoryId=200

Source:

Foreign Governments must be jumping up and down at losing what seems to me, all the World's leading experts.

Never in one place have I known there to be those that so openly sit day after day giving all the good advice; tearing down the ideas of those that ARE doing something; even if in your own estimations it's wrong.

Occasionally I see others that are also disgusted at the carry on by all the "knockers"

If it is so bad here; and according to most of you it is really bad, then feel free to go back where you come from.

Leave your rules and regulations of your home Country back there....adopt the rules here, or consider your options.

The holiday is certainly needed by those poor souls struggling with Nature's worst... who pays..? who cares. !

If I was young enough I would be out there helping where I could ....

hmmmm .... did someone mention knockers? :passifier:

a 5 day holiday is just what the people need

No food on the store shelves

No money in the bank machines

Great time to give workers time off to go

up north and get drunk for 5 days

How do we get up north???

Follow the compass point.... sort of Morchit----Korat ----K.Khen.-----Udon...But N/E or N/W.....

I did the following route Sunday night/Monday morning:

Amphur Chok Chai -> Pak Thong Chai -> Kabin Buri -> Chachoengsao -> Suvarnabhumi

I only drove through a small amount of water as I approached Bangkok, it was no big thing.

My wife did the reverse returning home Monday morning.

Get yourself out to Chachoensao and follow Highway 304 to Nakhon Ratchasima. Go where you want from there.

One third of Thailand is covered in water. The government paddles around in boats to deliver speeches.

Half of Thailand is covered in water. The government has left for higher land. It's a habit hard to break.

Two thirds of Thailand is covered in water. The government flies around in helicopters looking for drug dealers.

Three quarters of Thailand is covered in water. The government reshuffles the cabinet and looks for qualified flood experts.

99% of Thailand is covered in water. The government issues an emergency order and declares a public holiday.

All of Thailand is covered in water. Thaksin Shinawatra is returning to power - jubilantly.

More than 100% of Thailand is covered in water. Statistics don’t lie. Swimming in a pool is exhausting. The retired Zen master is taking swimming lessons....he didn't see any Zen brothers in days....

from: "The Flower is Meditating" Rainer Loveiam www.loveiambooks/wordpress.com and www.koanoftheday/wordpress.com

Only in thailand do they call disaster a holiday,,,land of smiles :huh:

Definitely it's time for you to choose another country: maybe Cambodia or Laos or Myanmar where there is not this level of incompetence and disorganization.

I woulld rather take advice from yingluck :bah: she seems to have a bit more Intelligence than yourself :cheesy:

I am in Vientiane to get my visa does this mean the entire government are going to be on holiday?

Will I be stuck here for 5 days ;( ??

Only flood affected areas. Is it flooding in Vientiane?

No it's not flooding here but I know how these people think any excuse for another holiday ;)

Let's hope they sent a memo to all the other government employees telling them they have to work

I am in Vientiane to get my visa does this mean the entire government are going to be on holiday?

Will I be stuck here for 5 days ;( ??

Only flood affected areas. Is it flooding in Vientiane?

No it's not flooding here but I know how these people think any excuse for another holiday ;)

Let's hope they sent a memo to all the other government employees telling them they have to work

They may take a few holidays in solidarity. B)

I don't understand the logic. What exactly is supposed to happen on Tuesday after the long public holiday? No one is suggesting the flood waters will all have gone by then. How are all the people who left the city supposed to return when the roads will be flooded?

yah....but that'll be next week and a different disaster altogether....!! :whistling:

So we have to let the staff go while continue to pay their salaries - again.

Alternatively they come to work and get OT paid.

One question remains: where can I send my extra staff expenses for all those holidays and OT-extras within the Thai government because, despite asking my customers, they are not willing to pay extra.

And yes, the floods were a man-made goofie by some government officials which opened the water gates of all those dams once they were at the brink of overflowing and not continuous water releases as of the beginning of the rainy season (like they do in all other countries on this planet).

So in all fairness and common sense, the government will pay all these extras as it was their executive nameless staff who involved the costs.

Or does common sense not apply here and we just shut up and pay - as usual?

You shouldn't be in business if you can't figure out something that simple. The extra expenses for wages is listed as costs or expenses, that along with all of your other costs of doing business is subtracted from your gross leaving you with net profit. it is the net profit that you pay tax on, consequently less goes to the government.

I agree. If you can't afford to pay for a few extra days off then you don't deserve to be running a business.

I don't understand the logic. What exactly is supposed to happen on Tuesday after the long public holiday? No one is suggesting the flood waters will all have gone by then. How are all the people who left the city supposed to return when the roads will be flooded?

After the weekend, the tides won't be so high, and therefore the threat to Bangkok won't be so high.

The water will still be flowing down the river, but it won't hit the high tides when it gets to Bangkok.

After the weekend, the tides won't be so high, and therefore the threat to Bangkok won't be so high.

The water will still be flowing down the river, but it won't hit the high tides when it gets to Bangkok.

Wow!! That's a consolation!!!:unsure:.

Maybe its just me but most of you guys seem to criticise the government regardless of what it does. Lets just hypothetically say for a minute that the headline of this topic was 'Thaiiland does not declare any hoilidays to help cope with floods.' Im sure the same people complaining about the hoilidays now would then be complaining about the lack of hoilidays. I guess some people were just born to winge, even if its not their own country. Ive said it before and Ill say it again - my wife always says, if you dont like it you know where the airport is (Suvarnabhumi anyway!).