Thailand To Import Food, Drinking Water To Ease Shortage

Lite Beer

Thailand to import food, drinking water to ease shortage

image_201110251822213AD11889-A4E4-830D-8FEEA793F95F4ECB.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 25 -- The Thai government on Tuesday approved a plan to import food and drinking water to ease current and anticipated shortages following the worst flood in the nation’s history, according to Permanent-Secretary for Commerce Yanyong Phuangrach.

The shortages have occurred after the flood hit factories in seven industrial estates, leaving them submerged, so that both production and distribution of goods face transport difficulties because many roads are cut due to the flood, and a panicked populace is stockpiling food and drinking water.

After chairing a meeting to consider importing necessary goods, Mr Yanyong said that the government has approved urgently bringing in three categories of goods: drinking water and foodstuffs such as canned fish, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, soybean milk, UHT milk, instant noodles, instant foods, and fresh vegetables; consumer products such as sanitary napkins, toilet paper, soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes; and a third category, water purifiers and drinking water vending machines.

He said the Commerce Ministry would initially be a centre for 'fast track' imports of such products by working with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Customs Department, the Excise Department, the Thai Industrial Standards Institute and the Finance Ministry to cut short procedures and import the essential items within one week.

Mr Yanyong said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Deputy Prime Minister/Commerce Minister Kittirat Na Ranong have assigned the ministry to arrange additional goods distribution centres because the centre set up at Don Mueang Airport could handle only 10 per cent of overall consumer products.

The premier ordered using the free zone at Suvarnabhumi Airport as the primary distribution centre, while the ministry is seeking more locations such as Royal Thai Air Force bases and airports. The transport minister will seek additional locations at airports at Nakhon Ratchasima and Sattahip, while provincial halls would also be used as distribution centres.

It was expected that the additional distribution centres, initially at 10 locations, could help ease the shortage of goods, he said.

The Commerce Ministry also acted to include 16 items on the list of controlled goods -- such as drinking water, toilet paper, batteries, boats, bagged sand, and water pumps to prevent their being stockpiled for price gouging and price hikes.

Meanwhile, Thai Retailers Association advisor Chatchai Tuangrattanapan said 40 per cent of goods have disappeared from shelves and the association would consider the prices of imported goods that could be acceptable for consumers.

He said most of goods would be imported from Malaysia while the rice pack would be produced by Public Warehouse Organisation and it was expected that it would take around two weeks to produce. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-25

jesus .. you would think that there are no factories left.. Which is NOT correct. the noodle and water factories in my province (nakhon Pathom) are working extra shifts to try and meet the demand.

The main problem is the delivering of the the produce. Which is down to FROC.

jesus .. you would think that there are no factories left.. Which is NOT correct. the noodle and water factories in my province (nakhon Pathom) are working extra shifts to try and meet the demand.

Is that a guess? Or do have some information that shows the extra shifts being worked in the existing open factories is producing enough to supply the domestic market without additional imports?

The opportunity for economic mischief and corruption is so rife here! Well, at least this explains why somebody didn't want the free water from the US aircraft carrier interferring with their business deal.

The other, normal thing is that if Malaysia want to import something under the free trade agreement than the customs makes it so difficult that it is impossible.

Of course no duties, just some paperwork.

Thaksin always played his games with Malaysia:

"Proton can not be imported as the quality is not good enough for Thai people"

Greet every low and high member of other countries at a meeting, but forget the King of Malaysia (several times also with Ministers). Just to provoke them. Luckily they obviously they just saw Thaksin as an corrupt idiot and didn't get angry with the country of Thailand.

Or having a meeting, but Thaksin is always speaking on the mobile phone about stock market investments and let the Malaysian Minister sit there like an useless staff of him.

One wonders what their distribution plans are. Obviously they don't want to use US choppers. Too efficient and too little chance for kickbacks.

Yeah the Yankees do it for free, so the 50 % kickback is worthless.....

I think the Thai Ministers are pulling their hair...What is wrong with that Yankees??? What is the profit of distribute that things for free???

Where is my profit????

The opportunity for economic mischief and corruption is so rife here! Well, at least this explains why somebody didn't want the free water from the US aircraft carrier interferring with their business deal.

That's a disgusting comment, obviously they are buying food and water because people have a really urgent need for it. If you are accusing government officials of corruption such as embesseling money intended for urgently needed drinking water you should at least have one substantial fact to back it up with, otherwise zip it.

Is that a guess? Or do have some information that shows the extra shifts being worked in the existing open factories is producing enough to supply the domestic market without additional imports?

i DIDN'T SAY THAT IT WOULD BE ENOUGH. But it is also not a guess as i see these people going to and from work. I'm just saying that there are still factories here doing a great job of trying to supply what is needed.

So i posted it.. the worst thing for the peoples morale is to think that there is NO HOPE as the factories are all under water. which is NOT true (yet)

That's a disgusting comment, obviously they are buying food and water because people have a really urgent need for it. If you are accusing government officials of corruption such as embesseling money intended for urgently needed drinking water you should at least have one substantial fact to back it up with, otherwise zip it.

Well said and welcome to ThaiVisa.

i DIDN'T SAY THAT IT WOULD BE ENOUGH. But it is also not a guess as i see these people going to and from work. I'm just saying that there are still factories here doing a great job of trying to supply what is needed.

So i posted it.. the worst thing for the peoples morale is to think that there is NO HOPE as the factories are all under water. which is NOT true (yet)

So in fact the main problem might not be the distribution, we may also have a domestic shortage, we just don't know how big of a problem that is?

Using "facts" in Thailand is often illegal due to laws against name and shame. Those that have lived here for a few years have indeed become quite jaded but they have become jaded for some very good reasons.

FROC

Fanatics Running Organized Chicanery

How about charcoal and lighters so people can eat warm mama noodles?

So transport repair is not even being thought of,

but importing things made here is....

Edited by animatic

Import water from Malaysia, but refuse the 1.5 million liters per day a US aircraft carrier can provide, guess it's harder to put Thaksin stickers on the American stuff

I understand your argument, but I was in the US Navy aboard an aircraft carrier in the capacity of nuclear propulsion and I can tell you that very little of that 1.5 million liters a day was part of the offered help. Still it defies belief that the help was refused. Keep in mind that when underway a Nimitz class carrier (15 yrs ago, perhaps outdated now) had 5000 people on board to bathe in and drink that water.

I understand the great rift in mindsets of the two political parties here but lets keep politics out of this. No political party is going to stop the worst flooding in over 50 yrs. The most developed countries in the world cannot stop this kind of problem. Remember that Bangkok most closely resembles New Orleans, as it is largely at, near or below sea level. You should have little trouble recalling what happened there with the now famous hurricane Katrina. That was less water in a country with such a huge relative amount of resources compared to Thailand that it's ridiculous to draw any kind of comparison, and even then disaster wasn't averted.

Import water from Malaysia, but refuse the 1.5 million liters per day a US aircraft carrier can provide, guess it's harder to put Thaksin stickers on the American stuff

I understand your argument, but I was in the US Navy aboard an aircraft carrier in the capacity of nuclear propulsion and I can tell you that very little of that 1.5 million liters a day was part of the offered help. Still it defies belief that the help was refused. Keep in mind that when underway a Nimitz class carrier (15 yrs ago, perhaps outdated now) had 5000 people on board to bathe in and drink that water.

I understand the great rift in mindsets of the two political parties here but lets keep politics out of this. No political party is going to stop the worst flooding in over 50 yrs. The most developed countries in the world cannot stop this kind of problem. Remember that Bangkok most closely resembles New Orleans, as it is largely at, near or below sea level. You should have little trouble recalling what happened there with the now famous hurricane Katrina. That was less water in a country with such a huge relative amount of resources compared to Thailand that it's ridiculous to draw any kind of comparison, and even then disaster wasn't averted.

Please allow me to add that it's unforgivable from the government to do what you and many others are doing, politicize a humanitarian issue. We should have been notified of the best information on when flooding would occur and where at least a week ago.

The perception seems to be that this disaster, creates an opportunity for graft and corruption at many levels. Are Thai politicians above corruption ? Clearly there is a need for drinking water as well as other staples. It is not only politicians that have the potential for enrichment. Everyday opportunist are already inflating prices on items like household water pumps, small plastic boats,drinking water and rice, If the local press is to be believed. To suggest that Thai politicians are only altruistic seems very naive to me.

Give them a break. We are obviously short of certain produce. That's not because BKK people panic, its because we have a dramatic increase in terms of demand. I don't know many Thai living countryside who use bottled water. They get water from wells etc. and use it for drinking and cooking. Now they are flooded and basically eat up the stock which was produced for a given demand. Think about a few million bottles extra a day and you know why shop outside the flooded areas are empty.

Am I being particularly dense here (not an unknown accusation), but having read the original post carefully several times I can see nothing that suggest corruption. what I see is a report about moves to secure the provision of food and water supplies, followed by an immediate and unsubstantiated allegation of graft. Numerous others then queue to jump on the bandwagon.

Reading these forums these last few days I am irresistibly reminded of a scene from the Abrahams/Zucker movie spoof "Airplane". You may recall the scene. a passenger on the doomed aircraft becomes hysterical. Someone slaps her to get her under control, an increasingly bizarre collection of individuals, wielding various weapons and implements then form a queue to have their go at slapping the unfortunate sufferer! ;)

Am I being particularly dense here (not an unknown accusation), but having read the original post carefully several times I can see nothing that suggest corruption. what I see is a report about moves to secure the provision of food and water supplies, followed by an immediate and unsubstantiated allegation of graft. Numerous others then queue to jump on the bandwagon.

Reading these forums these last few days I am irresistibly reminded of a scene from the Abrahams/Zucker movie spoof "Airplane". You may recall the scene. a passenger on the doomed aircraft becomes hysterical. Someone slaps her to get her under control, an increasingly bizarre collection of individuals, wielding various weapons and implements then form a queue to have their go at slapping the unfortunate sufferer! ;)

I am reminded of a line from Thomas Gray" ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise" No quite the movie airplane, just another perception.

A lot of people have been left disheartened and disgusted that certain elements in Thai management refused the help of the US carrier group for supplies and distribution and help in general. Their motives for doing things one way and not another have become suspect. And history provides many reasons to distrust the powers that be regardless of the color of their shirt. This is a period of time when scrutiny should remain at high levels to ensure that those who really need help get it and that certain people or groups do not profit from the generosity of others nor the pain of those who are on the front lines of this disaster.

The perception seems to be that this disaster, creates an opportunity for graft and corruption at many levels. Are Thai politicians above corruption ? Clearly there is a need for drinking water as well as other staples. It is not only politicians that have the potential for enrichment. Everyday opportunist are already inflating prices on items like household water pumps, small plastic boats,drinking water and rice, If the local press is to be believed. To suggest that Thai politicians are only altruistic seems very naive to me.

There may well be people making money out of this, I dare say the advertising clicks on this website have increased (no offense or design implied on its owner who I'm certain had nothing to do with creating the flood situation... probably) Numpung Bloggs who sells noodles on the street may need to charge more as she needs to pay that bit more for her ingredients that cost more because they come from further away and take longer to get there. Not all additional costs are can be blamed on corruption. There are corrupt people anywhere in the world, BUT to imply that a rise in street goods = all normal people are always corrupt AND politicians are normal people, therefore politicians are buying these goods for corrupt reasons is not a reasonable conclusion.

Also, yes there is a BIG difference between an opportunist charging more and a government official stealing from his country in such a way and at a time that it could potentially cause many deaths. I don't think many would agree that someone prepared to do the first would certainly do the latter.

Edited by FooMan

This whole disaster is politicized from A to Z. I would be surprised if the distribution of food and water isn't as well. Just the fact that the army wasn't called out to help from the outset is part of the disaster. During last year's flooding, I saw them building barriers and distributing water and food, tasks that they are very well equipped for. This year, they have hardly been visible, apparently as a result of decisions made by the current government.

At the moment, distribution is the problem, since many (most?) of the hypermarket chains have their distribution centers in the affected area. But since that area mostly produces rice, I can't see why this country shouldn't be able to produce most of what they need themselves. As for the list itself, it contains some rather awkward items, like instant noodles that are almost completely free of any useful nutrition. It fills people's stomachs for a few minutes though.

yeah, I like the scene where Neilson says ( something like ) "he's ill, we need to get him to a hospital ", stewardess replies " what is it ?" to which Neilson responds " That big grey building where the nurses hangout......"

I understand your argument, but I was in the US Navy aboard an aircraft carrier in the capacity of nuclear propulsion and I can tell you that very little of that 1.5 million liters a day was part of the offered help. Still it defies belief that the help was refused.

I wouldn't expect even close to 1.5 million liters per day to be given, but the thing sat off the coast of Thailand for a long time. It left Singapore on the 15th and it's now the 25th, over a week they could have made a significant amount of water. Given the current shortages any amount is needed

I understand your argument, but I was in the US Navy aboard an aircraft carrier in the capacity of nuclear propulsion and I can tell you that very little of that 1.5 million liters a day was part of the offered help. Still it defies belief that the help was refused.

I wouldn't expect even close to 1.5 million liters per day to be given, but the thing sat off the coast of Thailand for a long time. It left Singapore on the 15th and it's now the 25th, over a week they could have made a significant amount of water. Given the current shortages any amount is needed

Sure and each carrier has a production line on board to fill 1 million bottles a day. In what universe do you get your ideas. Please share your groindbreaking distribution ideas.

Sure and each carrier has a production line on board to fill 1 million bottles a day. In what universe do you get your ideas. Please share your groindbreaking distribution ideas.

jeez. you do not need to fill bottles. You need to fill bowsers and water trucks to take the water to the areas.. It not difficult. The Carrier would have hoses.

BUT the carrier actually needs to be here ...which it isn't.