Tourists Visiting Samui

Maybe you can add to this more up-to-date figures, but not with details of nationalities.

I'm strongly under the impression that, almost three years on, these 2008 stats are now unrealistic. (2008 is the only recent year that shows a huge decline in tourism after the New Year - this was also the start of the global economic turndown.)

Rob

post-4665-0-53113100-1319632486_thumb.gi

Edited by robsamui

Maybe you can add to this more up-to-date figures, but not with details of nationalities.

I'm strongly under the impression that, almost three years on, these 2008 stats are now unrealistic.

Rob

I must be going senile, I thought my figures were for the first 6 months of 2009. Maybe I can't read???

Please delete my post, clearly I am not helping anyone with my findings!

You got these figures from TAT site I assume.They di not upgrade alot, if & when it pleases them. I will have a look for you.

Thanks. It's easier to get a cold here than to find tourism figures.

I found this site

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism.asp

but it refers to TAT links that are out of date.

R

TAT have stopped compiling accurate figures, if any at all, if they do it's a very well kept secret. Like the statement the tourism minister issued a while ago, floods will not affect tourism.

I'm strongly under the impression that, almost three years on, these 2008 stats are now unrealistic.

Rob

I must be going senile, I thought my figures were for the first 6 months of 2009. Maybe I can't read???

Please delete my post, clearly I am not helping anyone with my findings!

erm - correction. It's me that's going senile :blink: I could have sworn that it said 2008 - and sober, too . . . <_<

SORRY!

R

Edited by robsamui

TAT have stopped compiling accurate figures, if any at all, if they do it's a very well kept secret. Like the statement the tourism minister issued a while ago, floods will not affect tourism.

that 'splains why I can never find 'em then.

Is this a new and sneaky policy? Usually they just lie about it and make 'em up . . . probably cos there's a 'no fail' entrance test for a job at TAT.

R

Edited by robsamui

Is this a new and sneaky policy? Usually they just lie about it and make 'em up . . . probably cos there's a 'no fail' entrance test for a job at TAT.

R

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/base.php?page=stat

it is no problem i have seen plenty of tourists. there are allot more asian tourists than before.

they look like thai's but then i think why would they all be walking around with cameras then as i pock my nose into there busines and say pai nai tirak. then not under stand me and walk away. :whistling:

it is no problem i have seen plenty of tourists. there are allot more asian tourists than before.

they look like thai's but then i think why would they all be walking around with cameras then as i pock my nose into there busines and say pai nai tirak. then not under stand me and walk away. :whistling:

OK :offtopic: I know but....

after a difficult day at the office. One read of BigC's post usually sends a smile to my lips. Thank you BigC.

Back on topic - for some years we hear that Bandit Airways is crating in one million tourists a year. This does not allow for ferries and other airlines. So do we assume that the missing numbers from yorkies chart are staying in non registered places? Or are the number rubbish?

(I see approx 750,000 per year on the chart - but 1 million plus according to everyone else)

Edited by Tropicalevo

R

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/base.php?page=stat

Anyone care to translate it for us . . . it's all written in Squiggly.

R

Edited by robsamui

R

http://www.immigrati...e.php?page=stat

Anyone care to translate it for us . . . it's all written in Squiggly.

R

if you curse over the squiggly bits, there are excel sheets showing tourist stats from many years back, upto 2008 ....

So my three year old? (2011-2009=2 &lt;deleted&gt;) figures are the latest available or not???

So my three year old? (2011-2009=2 &lt;deleted&gt;) figures are the latest available or not???

From TAT most probably, But you also have the link Rob supplied but no nationalities, the one that might give you some insight is the immigration link, but as with any government department here, something alsways wrong with it. In this case the English version not working, but use google to translate the spread sheets.

I suppose TAT do not want to show figures when affected by yellow shirts, red shirts , throws their resumed predictions out of the window.

The point of my OP was to show the % breakdown by nationality rather than an accurate and up to date total number.

Significantly there were almost 35% fewer Thais visiting Samui between the two years and around 62% fewer Koreans visiting.

Conversley there were 62% more Malaysians visiting, although with the numbers being relatively small I suppose a few either way changes the % dis-proportionately.

As Tropicalevo points out we do not know if these figures are solely from flights or if they include visitors who came by ferry

(which I doubt).